Update Required?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Rob
Team Supported: Darlington

Update Required?

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:28 pm

Am I being over dramatic being worried that with one week to go to a potential start to the season, so little is coming out of the club at the moment? Although we know the club don't want to start the season without fans, what are their views following Thursday meeting with the National League. Do they think it feasible with government help? Are we able to stream matches? If we are able to stream matches will it be free for season ticket holders? If the club don't know these answers, fair enough, but at least tell us that.

Also we appear to be seriously undercooked on the playing side based on the friendlies we've had, or are we? Is Alun happy with our progress? Have I just missed how the likes of Hunt,storey and Laing are getting on? I pick on those because we haven't had a proper central defensive partnership in the friendlies.

We've had good info with the zoom chats over the lockdown period, but now its nearing crunch time we've had nothing.

This isn't a post aimed at knocking the club, more a well intentioned plea to get some more info at a time I'm sure other fans are wanting it as well.

Darlofan97

Re: Update Required?

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 pm

How do you expect the club to release definitive information on something they have limited information on themselves due to the uncertainty and lack of comms from the league?

Any update now would not really contain much substance, other than probably something along the lines of, “we are awaiting information from the National League”.

No worries from my end. The club will be doing all they can and will release information to fans when there is something definitive to say.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Agree with this post. I cannot see how the season can go ahead, as soon as a ball is kicked the players contracts are activated and without crowds football at this level cannot be self funding. Don’t get me wrong I hope it does, but with areas in lockdown I cannot see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:40 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:34 pm
Agree with this post. I cannot see how the season can go ahead, as soon as a ball is kicked the players contracts are activated and without crowds football at this level cannot be self funding. Don’t get me wrong I hope it does, but with areas in lockdown I cannot see it.

It appears that some form of funding based on lost net gate receipts is on the way. We should at least be considering this before being so dismissive.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Fair enough, but maybe their thoughts on the situation would be possible. I understand they may not know the stance on streaming yet, but could they give more info on how it would work if we are allowed it. We don’t even know where we’ll actually be playing yet. The Arena looks favourite, but no one actually knows.

Even if we forget all that and as you say we leave it until something more concrete is known, what would your thoughts be on the playing side, are you happy we’ve had no info since the Scarborough match?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:52 pm

There has been a whole announcement about partnership for the streaming.

I thought I read that the league were progressing permission / exception on this from UEFA.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I’ve just looked at that statement again and there’s nothing about current season ticket holders. I wouldn’t be bringing any of these points up at all if we were 3-4 weeks away from the season starting, but were 7 days away.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm

7 days before a new season which is massively unique and unprecedented, where each day brings new information or added uncertainty.

Unnecessary flapping is not helpful.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm

I did ask what your thoughts were on the playing side, so no info on how the squad is getting on for two weeks is flapping. Interesting.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm
I did ask what your thoughts were on the playing side, so no info on how the squad is getting on for two weeks is flapping. Interesting.
Of course it is. Given what Alun and the management staff have achieved with the club since their appointment (and their experience prior) I trust their judgement & management to prepare the players adequately to start in a week.

The players will find their feet further when the competitive football starts. We have to be patient following a significant lay-off.

Regular updates are nice but not necessarily a solid indicator as to all of the preparation going on behind the scenes.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:45 pm

Hard to give an update when there is nothing concrete to update.

As you say we start in a week. We have no idea if fans can be let in. (Nor do any teams who are playing step 2 opponents). There are question marks whether step 2 clubs will play as playing will activate the costs associated (a concern shared by 20 of our fellow 22 NLN clubs). The club have tried their best to set up a streaming service to support fans unable to attend games. (But to my knowledge currently still require Football Authority and licence holder final sign off).

Think if the club had the answer to any of your questions they would gladly give them. Your frustration that we don't have any of this information needs to be directed at those responsible. The National League and the FA.

For the football side. What would it matter if Alun gave an interview saying we've trained well over the last 2 weeks. It would give us no indication of how we'll play in our opening game. Laing and Storey are both returning from injury. Will they be fit in time for the potential FA Cup game, don't know. But similarly would it matter? They'll be fit when they're fit and if they're not yet fit then one of Reid, Watson or Atkinson will play there next to Hunt. Gateshead got stuffed 4-1 by pools today. Are they undercooked? Who knows, its a friendly. Would Alun liked to have played more games, I bet he would. But the options weren't massive considering FL, Northern league and NPL have all started seasons already. Even games against teams in the National leagues have fallen foul of covid just look at Spenny V BPA last week. No one is coming into this season with perfect prep.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:04 pm

So I get the points raised about the season starting. An update on the clubs thoughts would be nice, but understand they may not want to say too much at the moment.

The playing side though I don't get. Would we all be happy if in the middle of a season we didn't hear anything on the playing side for two weeks? I suspect this is partly down to the Northern Echo and their lack of reporting, but I'm only guessing they're not actively looking to write an article. Looking at their coverage of Hartlepool it's as bad as ours and that's with Nick Loughlin still there. It looks like they're just concentrating on the big three.

We need to be generating positivity so if the season does start, it is behind closed doors and we can stream our matches, then more people will sign up. For floating supporters they would be forgiven for not knowing the season potentially could be starting next week.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:04 pm
So I get the points raised about the season starting. An update on the clubs thoughts would be nice, but understand they may not want to say too much at the moment.

The playing side though I don't get. Would we all be happy if in the middle of a season we didn't hear anything on the playing side for two weeks? I suspect this is partly down to the Northern Echo and their lack of reporting, but I'm only guessing they're not actively looking to write an article. Looking at their coverage of Hartlepool it's as bad as ours and that's with Nick Loughlin still there. It looks like they're just concentrating on the big three.

We need to be generating positivity so if the season does start, it is behind closed doors and we can stream our matches, then more people will sign up. For floating supporters they would be forgiven for not knowing the season potentially could be starting next week.
Think your point on the Echo is spot on, if not rather sad. Whereas before we had Craig looking at us for stories which could generate column inches and good publicity. There is nothing but sterilised copy paste jobs of other press releases, even when we do get inches as for the Arena move it was written with a negative headline by someone who didn't understand the context.

If I'm honest I think if live streaming does get the go ahead, we are one of the teams it will suit. The number of exiled fans we have, who are engaged in the football club, shown by our very good away attendances at this level gives me hope we will have a fair few fans willing to sign up to a live stream season ticket. Its something I'd happily buy on top of my BtB contribution and I'd normally only make around 4-5 home games a season and circa 4 away games, due to where I'm based.

I'd love to know the fitness and form of each player going into the new season. But with no one there to write those inches, I trust Alun and his management team, they earned that trust last season. We were transformed from the unfit undisciplined tripe that Tommy Wright asked us to get behind. And in this most unusual of years that trust will probably have to be enough for the first few games atleast.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:00 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:04 pm

I agree with you Rob, news on the team and playing front has been poor at best. We are approaching the start of the season next week and should be treating it as so until told otherwise.

From that point the club should have been generating positivity to get supporters interested ready to kick off the season, the longer this goes on the more chance floating supporters will find something else to fill in their time on a Saturday afternoon.

The club could have given us more news on injuries, fitness, practice matches and done a few more interviews with management and players. The great thing about social media is this doesn't necessarily have to be done by Kev or Ray, anyone could cobble a piece together and pass it on to be edited and put on the platforms.

Going forward if it is to be without fans we are going to have to be better getting the news out there especially if Craig Stoddart is no longer covering ourselves.

Darlogramps

Update Required?

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:03 am

I don’t understand what Darlo_Rob is after. There’s been plenty of stuff put out by the club in the past fortnight. To say there’s been nothing is just incorrect.

Anything else we either already know (squad details) or there’s no update on (financial support, streaming etc). I’m genuinely interested to know what information he thinks is being hidden/not communicated by the club. Do we really need more bland player interviews telling us they trained well?

As far as I’m concerned, the club have given out all the details they can on things like streaming etc. They’re dealing with an incredibly difficult situation themselves, and we’re not exactly overflowing with volunteers to do the jobs that need doing.

A bit of understanding and patience from fans is required, rather than flapping and creating unsubstantiated rumours.

I do also think you need to be careful before making posts like this. We’ve seen from earlier this pre-season, there are people/former club employees who like to stir the pot and help whip up conspiracy theories.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:01 am

Gramps, I don't think the club are trying to hide anything and in my first post I did state I'm not trying to knock the club, but if it's come across like that, it wasn't meant to.

Without trying to cause any sort of argument what unsubstantiated rumours am I creating? I'm in agreement people have to be careful, just look at Fat Josh, his comments are dangerous, but I'm not sure how asking for a bit more information would harm the club.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 am

Because asking for more information (that isn’t really necessary) is just unhelpful.

DarloGramps has it spot on, the club have released plenty of information recently (and have been very engaging over the last 6 months). We are volunteer-led, meaning time is limited, particularly when all of our focus is on adapting to Covid-19 with a game scheduled for less than 7 days time.

This idea that anyone can just put an article together, for it then to be edited and published, is just silly. Clearly it would more than likely have to be with one of the current volunteers (i.e. Kev, Ray or Simon) who are engaged in more important things at the moment (i.e. putting together QuakerTV).

In fact the Board are probably more engaged in other - more important things - at the moment too. Like making sure the Arena is ‘Covid secure’, making sure the Arena pitch is up to scratch to play football on, commercial arrangements at the Arena, can we access the job retention scheme & also engaging with the league to find out on how we are going to manage to pay our players/management over the following season.

Patience is key. They have enough on without fans wanting updates on how Laing & Hunt are playing, for god sake.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am

All these comments about are WE ready can WE stream, etc, etc,etc. and the club passing comments and info on to the fans, is, in my opinion, being a tad short sighted. We may be ready willing and able to kick of at either BM or the arena. We may be able to stream, and all the other comments asked may be positive from our point of view, but when each of those points is sorted to our satisfaction the league also have to communicate with all the other clubs and make sure their needs are met.
We may start the league with 1 or 2 teams dropping out a la Superleague, but what if 6 or 7 can't start?
Not until all info from every club is collated and the league are sure what is happening or not happening should any further "news" be given out as with a week to go things could very easily change once or twice again.
The most simple point I am not sure clubs have been told yet is what amount, if any, will come from this suggested "Bail out". Again, if it does not cover expected losses then many clubs will say no, and all I have seen muted is a base figure to be shared down the pyramid. No actual details of what the income will be.
Unless of course anyone on here has got definitive figures?

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm
7 days before a new season which is massively unique and unprecedented, where each day brings new information or added uncertainty.

I certainly wouldn't suggest the OP is flapping. That's just a cheap cliche, quick and easy to throw out.

The conversation has got some decent points in it so well worth discussing.

I must admit it's made me think about how the club has engaged with fans compared to other sports clubs I follow/friend on SM.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am

Talking of updated info, I have just been watching the Andrew Marr politics show on TV where he was interviewing Oliver Dowden, the Minister who has responsibility for Sport. He was questioned about the sports sector, and football in particular, being painted into a corner by the new restrictions, and the distinct possibility of clubs going out of existence without financial help. He made no promises of any additional help from Government on this and pretty much shrugged his shoulders at the prospect of the demise of whole sectors of our sporting life, over-trumping everything with the idea that this is all perfectly justified by curbing the Corona crisis. It was put to him that much of the Government plan is not based on science and seems inconsistent, but it was still clear that the Government are not listening to reasonable requests and the efforts made by clubs, such as ours, to ensure that they have got a handle on keeping people safe whilst attending a game. It seemed clear that the Government's latest tack is to start to row back on hand-outs to any more sectors of society, so the overall message to football and other sports was that you are on your own and we don't care. This appears to close down at least one option for having this season go ahead. It the football authorities take the same attitude, then the prospects for being to go ahead this season looks bleak.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm

I certainly wouldn't suggest the OP is flapping. That's just a cheap cliche, quick and easy to throw out.

The conversation has got some decent points in it so well worth discussing.

I must admit it's made me think about how the club has engaged with fans compared to other sports clubs I follow/friend on SM.
I think he is, and that is just my opinion, which I am quite entitled to.

I believe it’s unnecessary and deters away from the significant amount of behind the scenes work which is currently going on. There is so much uncertainty that any update at the moment would probably be futile in itself as the situation changes every 24 hours. Until there is something definitive to say it is better to say nothing in all honestly, especially when the club has actually been quite engaging on all matters recently.

We all know the SG/football club board will be fighting tooth and nail to safeguard the position of the football club, by the same token we know Alun will be doing the same to prepare the playing squad for 3pm next Saturday. That is certainly good enough for me.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:51 am

I watched the Andrew Marr show and felt slightly more positive by what the minister said actually! He said that he had long discussions with the premier league about the need to support clubs lower down the ladder, progress had been made and was hopeful of an agreement being reached this week. Now whether that stops at league 2 or go,s further down the ladder who knows.

I think the club has done a great job behind the scenes all summer but do agree that some updates on the playing side have been sadly lacking in what potentially has been the period leading up to the season starting. An interview with AA asking about injuries, behind doors friendlies etc etc would help I feel.

Have no doubt whatsoever that the board and AA are doing their level best for the club in difficult times but a bit of insight as above can only be of benefit too.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:56 am

en passant wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am
Talking of updated info, I have just been watching the Andrew Marr politics show on TV where he was interviewing Oliver Dowden, the Minister who has responsibility for Sport. He was questioned about the sports sector, and football in particular, being painted into a corner by the new restrictions, and the distinct possibility of clubs going out of existence without financial help. He made no promises of any additional help from Government on this and pretty much shrugged his shoulders at the prospect of the demise of whole sectors of our sporting life, over-trumping everything with the idea that this is all perfectly justified by curbing the Corona crisis. It was put to him that much of the Government plan is not based on science and seems inconsistent, but it was still clear that the Government are not listening to reasonable requests and the efforts made by clubs, such as ours, to ensure that they have got a handle on keeping people safe whilst attending a game. It seemed clear that the Government's latest tack is to start to row back on hand-outs to any more sectors of society, so the overall message to football and other sports was that you are on your own and we don't care. This appears to close down at least one option for having this season go ahead. It the football authorities take the same attitude, then the prospects for being to go ahead this season looks bleak.
According to the Mail on Sunday the Premier League are not happy that the Government is expecting them to bail out the EFL to the tune of £250 million. They are holding an EGM on Tuesday to discuss the situation and that fans will be excluded until March.
No mention of the NL but you can bet that we will be well in down the pecking order even if any handouts are made. If the TV deal is anything to go by where we receive 15k out of hundreds of millions I would not wait with baited breath. The reality could be that no significant funding will reach us either from the Government or Premier League and we will have no option but to cease playing. Hopefully it will become clearer very soon.
As for those carping about the lack of information from the club stop being so needy and belt up.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:43 am

Another thing the club will have to work on at the moment I'm sure is various financial models based on streaming or no streaming, amount of fans allowed etc. and this with the picture seemingly changing every day. Everyone who is working at the moment wherever that may be is exhausted due to the extra elements brought by Covid and I'm sure DFC is no exception. Remember that DJ and all our volunteers will be working harder at their day jobs as a result of this and so have less time for the club when more time is needed, so all of this needs adding to the mix.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 am

Considering Ray is a paid employee, I expected more updates about the season coming up (Interviews with AA, the players maybe). But nothing recently, apart from a 8/9 part Zoom interview with an ex player.

Would have been nice to get a statement on how the club felt personally regarding the 'no fans' allowed in.
A little update about the practice match we arranged last minute against Pools would have been good to read too.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:19 am

en passant wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:21 am
I actually watched that as well just a few minutes after my last comment. I had a somewhat different take from you but it made it clear that things are still way up in the air so virtually impossible for anyone to make any firm comment as to can we start the season or not

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:31 am

We all know that the NL voting is heavily skewed in favour of the top tier so what happens if they say they want to start with no fans and the NLN doesn’t? Also what’s the view of the NLS clubs? Are they of a similar view to the north or the top tier?

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 am

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 am
Considering Ray is a paid employee...
Is he? Was always under the impression he was a volunteer.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Have a heart lads and lasses, the board are having a very difficult time what with the rules changing from week to week day to day. I,m sure if there's something positive to report on it will be ,they could post something then it change in a few hours they really are up against it .
They don't need extra pressure from fans at the moment.
Last edited by onewayup on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:03 pm

I don't think people are criticizing the board but merely expressing views that there is very little coming out around the playing side and updates on injuries.

I certainly appreciate what the board are doing and look forward to more information around the decision to move to the Arena and how if affects the contract with Blackwell Meadows.