National League North statement

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

National League North statement

Post by Alfie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm

NLN have issued a statement - seemingly run by Chester - with the majority of the clubs backing a 'no fans' no games approach.:

'Chester FC and fellow National League North clubs have released the following joint statement

A meeting was held by Zoom at 17.30 on Wednesday 23rd September 2020 with representation from the majority of member clubs from the National League North to discuss the financial implications of the government’s announcement that supporters will not be allowed entry in to stadiums from the 1st October 2020.

During the meeting a set of anonymous polls were conducted with the most important question being asked of clubs:

Given the simple option, no caveats attached, of starting the season or not without crowds, what would your answer be?

The majority verdict of 81 per cent from clubs in the National League North would be to NOT start the season, unless there was a financial support package in place for member clubs.

The meeting considered the impact of the FA Cup second qualifying round on the contractual status of players, many of whom have contracts that begin on the ‘commencement of the football season’.

We are sure you are aware that clubs wrote these contracts based on information provided by the FA via the National League.

The issue is, that should there be a delay to the National League North season then these contracts would be activated by the FA Cup fixture. This would leave clubs exposed to having to pay these players for the rest of the season with obvious financial implications.

Elite status was debated at length, because as you are aware National League North and South clubs were granted elite status in July 2020.

Therefore, the question was asked why do clubs from Step One receive one vote per club and Step Two only receives four votes per league? We believe the decision regarding when to start the National League should be democratic across all members due to the financial implications of any decision on member clubs. This is never more apparent following the government’s decision on Tuesday and we request that we should be treated equally and have one vote per club across the whole National League system.

These are views shared by the majority of clubs in the National League North and we ask that they are represented at the National League Board meeting taking place today.'

David Johnson was among those supporting the statement.

York City have recently issued a statement saying they want the season to begin when planned

LoidLucan

Re: National League North statement

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:45 pm

It's probably York's best chance of going up if a load of clubs go bust by being forced to play without fans.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Good luck with trying to secure one vote per team across the whole of the National Leagues. Democracy in football politics always seems to be something different from most people’s idea of fairness and right. Will be a massive problem if clubs like ours are bullied into playing by the so called elite in the National League. Can see a big fallout coming and the likely end of the present structure with some teams simply unable or unwilling to play.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 pm

This system has run its course, it is not relevant in today's world, I have said it before there is no correlation between the football league's management committee 's of all league 's or the FA with a clear and concise way to the distribution of millions through to grass roots football,
It doesn't happen, the amount of money taken by those at the top is far to much, leaving less than 1/3 to spred between championship down through the pyramid,
IT'S just not enough to sustain the poorest of clubs at the lower end, all at the top table of each committee needs renewing its gone on far to long,
If something isn't sorted I can see many more club going tits up,
Not something I would want to see, write to the government, the FA ,to the league management's committee, and let's see movement on a fairer equal share throughout the football pyramid. I can only hope common sense prevails ,alas I can't see it happening. It's gone unchecked for to many years.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 pm

I’d imagine the government will sort some financial package out or roll out a CBIL BBL loan linked to sport, Boris will not want to preside over the demise of football And other sporting clubs as it’s a massive vote loser

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 pm

I’d imagine the government will sort some financial package out or roll out a CBIL BBL loan linked to sport, Boris will not want to preside over the demise of football And other sporting clubs as it’s a massive vote loser

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:26 pm

What would happen if the majority of NLN clubs simply turned round and said NO. If 50% or more teams drop out surely the league couldn’t happen. It’s a matter of the clubs sticking together to make change happen.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:26 pm
What would happen if the majority of NLN clubs simply turned round and said NO. If 50% or more teams drop out surely the league couldn’t happen. It’s a matter of the clubs sticking together to make change happen.
Try telling York City that..

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:54 pm
dfc4me wrote:
especially considering their 'promote two' tantrum was the cause of this

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:21 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm
AndyPark wrote:
dfc4me wrote:
Possible development- https://mobile.twitter.com/BroadcastMoo ... 6307373057 change of league elite status- if you believe it?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Possible development- https://mobile.twitter.com/BroadcastMoo ... 6307373057 change of league elite status- if you believe it?
If that is correct then as things stand that would align us with Step 3 and downwards in which case it would probably be more practical for us to play at BM, as it stands currently we would only be allowed 15% of the minimum grading capacity (which I believe is 3,000 for NLN level) so approx 500 fans.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Weird Bayliss thinks it means we are starting without fans but will get a financial package to support.

To be honest the current situation right now I am really not sure why we would be at the Arena.

If elite we have no fans (so why pay for the arena on top) if we are non-elite then we get 15% of the minimum so no extra value from the arena.

I also don't see this being loosened before March.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:08 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 pm
Weird Bayliss thinks it means we are starting without fans but will get a financial package to support.

To be honest the current situation right now I am really not sure why we would be at the Arena.

If elite we have no fans (so why pay for the arena on top) if we are non-elite then we get 15% of the minimum so no extra value from the arena.

I also don't see this being loosened before March.
The club have just moved the Quaker Retail portakabin to the Arena, I doubt they would spend on that just to take it back to BM.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 am

Yep. Still feels like a lot of balls to juggle...it was a holding statement from the NL on the day they were due to make a decision so who knows what next.

eek

Post by eek » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 am
Yep. Still feels like a lot of balls to juggle...it was a holding statement from the NL on the day they were due to make a decision so who knows what next.
It's a holding statement as they are trying to work out how the season will pan out in a hurry.

And given that most clubs will be bankrupt if they play a match and can't have spectators the options are really quite simple - see if the Government will supply support in a way that will work or call the season off. So that statement is a statement of fact - here is the reality and we have about a week to resolve it.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 am

If it's not viable to play football at our level then the only option is to cancel 20/21 season, at the end of the day it's money that will dictate what happens, no fans ,no revenue, playing is not an option, as clubs will go to the wall ,certain bills would still need to be payed with what ????,
We should know in a couple of weeks which way the season will go.
It can't carry on indefinitely ,uncertainty has to become certainty the league should not be left hanging, a decision has got to be made one way or another.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am

eek wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am
lo36789 wrote:
It's a holding statement as they are trying to work out how the season will pan out in a hurry.

And given that most clubs will be bankrupt if they play a match and can't have spectators the options are really quite simple - see if the Government will supply support in a way that will work or call the season off. So that statement is a statement of fact - here is the reality and we have about a week to resolve it.
There's too much uncertainty now. To me it needs to be called off with perhaps the option of a quick half season started next year - where each team would play each other once, and once only.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:45 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am
eek wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

There's too much uncertainty now. To me it needs to be called off with perhaps the option of a quick half season started next year - where each team would play each other once, and once only.

York will demand they be promoted as being the only side who wanted to play this season

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm
AndyPark wrote:
dfc4me wrote:
A huge part of it.

There is plenty to be said for an outright ban being stupid and how lower crowds, outside, in carefully managed and stewarded stadiums represent less risks than busy pubs... but it York hadn't had their tantrum we wouldn’t be classed as ‘elite’ sport anyway - which seems utterly ridiculous for non full-time sportsmen playing in front of relatively small crowds.

It’s infuriating. You could safely operate a distanced crowd in every club in this league.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:29 pm

"Following this week's Government announcement that fans' returns to live matches will be delayed beyond early October, it has been reported that four-fifths of the National League North do not support starting the season without fans.
York City are among those who do support the restart next month, as originally planned."

The above is quoted from the York Press webpage. By my simple maths four fifths = between 2 and 3 teams, probably 2 - those 2 being York and most likely K'minster.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 pm

The FA & Leagues are not noted for common sense or democracy, so not holding out hope for a 'good' outcome. In theory, could do a Covid secure match in front of a controlled crowd, but that is pure theory. Tough times ahead

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am
eek wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Your standard response to everything is just “call it off, scrap it” etc. It’s a broken record.

If we did that with everything nothing recently would have re-opened (work-places, schools, Universities) etc.

We will navigate through it. Yes that sounds bullish but all the signs are currently pointing to the season going ahead and a financial package coming shortly.

There is even mention of the ‘elite’ status being scrapped at NLN/NLS level to allow some fans to attend like they can at Step 3/4/5.

I should imagine that the job retention scheme could also be an option for the management staff. I’d need to check the guidance but it could well be a good option to reduce management hours & have Government contribute to salaries.

Like I said, the noises coming out suggest there is a financial package being devised, plus streaming opportunities, plus the possibility of fans being allowed in to stadiums at our level.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 pm
Your standard response to everything is just “call it off, scrap it” etc. It’s a broken record.
Not everything, I usually like to push on and not take no for an answer, but I just feel that restarting the football season now, after all that's happened and is happening, is becoming messy. I hope you're right though .....
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:12 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 pm
Not everything, I usually like to push on and not take no for an answer, but I just feel that restarting the football season now, after all that's happened and is happening, is becoming messy. I hope you're right though .....
I agree to a certain extent. Cases are rising, which is a worry, and the test & trace system appears to be struggling massively.

However, I do think we are in a position where we at least have to try with financial support from higher up. If the season gets called off mid-way through on safety grounds (like last season) then we can at least say we gave it a go.

At the very least we must try to adapt around Covid-19, and mitigate the risks as best we can.

Separately, there is also the issue of the integrity of the football pyramid. We’d have leagues above us playing & leagues below, I cannot imagine what the promotion/relegation situation would look like if the National League didn’t start.

The caveat for me is financial support from higher up. We must have this to play football behind closed doors/on reduced crowds. Not only that, but this funding must be distributed fairly and in proportion to the club’s finances/submitted budgets. What we don’t want is a weighted system that favours clubs just because they are placed higher in the system.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 pm
However, I do think we are in a position where we at least have to try with financial support from higher up. If the season gets called off mid-way through on safety grounds (like last season) then we can at least say we gave it a go.
It's a big gamble for the sake of saying we gave it a go.

As the statements state clearly the trigger for a whole seasons worth of playing costs is kicking off in the FA Cup.

If there is financial support that manages the losses - I suspect we could raise a reasonably shortfall. If that shortfall is £50k+ then that is gonna be more difficult.

Halton Council have just effectively killed a few clubs in their area. Runcorn Town, Runcorn Linnets, Widnes and Warrington Rylands are now unable to have spectators. Half of them have already started their playing seasons.

Linnets reversed tomorrows game with Mossley tonight but can't do that forever.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 pm
It's a big gamble for the sake of saying we gave it a go.

As the statements state clearly the trigger for a whole seasons worth of playing costs is kicking off in the FA Cup.

If there is financial support that manages the losses - I suspect we could raise a reasonably shortfall. If that shortfall is £50k+ then that is gonna be more difficult.

Halton Council have just effectively killed a few clubs in their area. Runcorn Town, Runcorn Linnets, Widnes and Warrington Rylands are now unable to have spectators. Half of them have already started their playing seasons.

Linnets reversed tomorrows game with Mossley tonight but can't do that forever.
Hence why I said that a financial support package is a caveat.

Of course it is a risk - but like I said it won’t be if the financial support package is sufficient, plus streaming revenue, BTB revenue, DFCSG membership revenue, Covid grant, job support scheme etc....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 am

Looks like its no fans and financial support.

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 38048?s=19