Watch "Goals: Fleetwood Town v Darlington" on YouTube

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:55 pm

https://youtu.be/RlQzTjI71vI

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Re: Watch

Post by AndyPark » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Trying to work out who the new trialist GK and other outfield trialists are. Anyone got any clues who they are..

Seen on Twitter that they are apparently: GK - Jonathan Saltmer, released from Barrow and the outfield player is supposedly Elton Ngwatala (but he left Chester to return to France).
Last edited by AndyPark on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Extended highlights available now as well. https://youtu.be/gDDFB-Mv0Ek

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:13 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 pm
Trying to work out who the new trialist GK and other outfield trialists are. Anyone got any clues who they are..

Seen on Twitter that they are apparently: GK - Jonathan Saltmer, released from Barrow and the outfield player is supposedly Elton Ngwatala (but he left Chester to return to France).
Sure I heard Alun and Darren call the outfield trialist “Cole” in the highlights, so hopefully some Darlo fans can do some research to see it they can find this fella

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:35 am

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Sure I heard Alun and Darren call the outfield trialist “Cole” in the highlights, so hopefully some Darlo fans can do some research to see it they can find this fella
Why can't you be arsed???

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:37 am

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:13 pm
AndyPark wrote:

Andy must be getting on a bit now. :roll:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 am

Some good build up play by ourselves. That was a big miss by Donawa at 2-0. Lovely move to set up Campbell but he shot just wide. Our trialist keeper had a good game. Already we have the winner of the softest penalty of the season.
If it is Elton Ngwatala he's scored against us for Kidderminster before but missed some gilt-edged chances when we beat Chester 2-0 last season. Looked at some photos of him but his hair is short in the photos whereas It's long during the match yesterday. If he impresses during his trial hopefully Elton won't go breaking our heart by going elsewhere and when he was on the ball good to see that he was still standing after some good challenges on him.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Some good build up play by ourselves. That was a big miss by Donawa at 2-0. Lovely move to set up Campbell but he shot just wide. Our trialist keeper had a good game. Already we have the winner of the softest penalty of the season.
If it is Elton Ngwatala he's scored against us for Kidderminster before but missed some gilt-edged chances when we beat Chester 2-0 last season. Looked at some photos of him but his hair is short in the photos whereas It's long during the match yesterday. If he impresses during his trial hopefully Elton won't go breaking our heart by going elsewhere and when he was on the ball good to see that he was still standing after some good challenges on him.
Just looked him up Adam and scored some cracking goals for Kidderminster, left footed and can certainly hit a ball, quite a big lad and very pacey.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:24 am

It isn’t Ngwatala.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:26 am

Give us a clue then Darlo Fan 97

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 am

I have no idea who it is - I just know it isn’t him!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 am

Devante Cole - released by Doncaster at the end of last season possibly?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 am

No - because not only is Devante Cole way too good for this level - he also looks nothing like the trialist.

You’d think it would be simple to do a quick Google search and actually realise neither Ngwatala or Cole look absolutely nothing like the player in the highlights....

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:10 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 am
No - because not only is Devante Cole way too good for this level - he also looks nothing like the trialist.

You’d think it would be simple to do a quick Google search and actually realise neither Ngwatala or Cole look absolutely nothing like the player in the highlights....
Have done and I wouldn't rule him out tbh, although it may not be him. In terms of saying a player of his calibre wouldn't drop this low, well as has been mentioned during the summer, lots of clubs are reducing their budgets and plenty of players from L1-below are being released. A quick look at his stats show he hasn't been prolific in the leagues above in recent seasons, plus we have been able to tempt Nicky Hunt and McMahon to the club, and you never know if they can have a hand in attracting trialists to the club - links can be handy.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:02 am

It isn’t him.

Hunt was an exception to the rule (partly brought in because of his link to Hatfield & Liddle) and McMahon is local.

Both are also winding down their careers. Devante Cole is 25.

There is more chance of me signing for Darlo than him.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:09 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 am
Some good build up play by ourselves. That was a big miss by Donawa at 2-0. Lovely move to set up Campbell but he shot just wide. Our trialist keeper had a good game. Already we have the winner of the softest penalty of the season.
Got to agree about most comments there. Keeper hardly at fault for the softest penalty and did well to stop a one-on-one chance which had been flagged offside, but GK would not have known about. Most of the goals were result of opposition exploiting slips and/or space given. Shame for Holmes but obviously needs more time on the pitch before we will see the best from him. May have been a different story if Campbell hadn't dragged his shot wide and Donawa had connected better with his chance. We did look ring rusty but TBF were up against a full time pro side who were all ready to go. What we need now are more friendlies against decent teams so the lads have a chance to build up relationships and understanding. AA can now start to work on our weaknesses & try to minimise those costly slips.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:49 am

Have done and I wouldn't rule him out tbh, although it may not be him. In terms of saying a player of his calibre wouldn't drop this low, well as has been mentioned during the summer, lots of clubs are reducing their budgets and plenty of players from L1-below are being released. A quick look at his stats show he hasn't been prolific in the leagues above in recent seasons, plus we have been able to tempt Nicky Hunt and McMahon to the club, and you never know if they can have a hand in attracting trialists to the club - links can be handy.
With respect, you’re trying to kid yourself.

The trialist looks nothing like Devante Cole and even in these times, a professional player in their mid-20s dropping three divisions to go part time would be extraordinary.

Saltmer has confirmed himself that he was the goalkeeper.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Not sure who the trialist is but having looked them up looks more like Devante Cole than Elton Ngwatala. The lad who played yesterday looks tall and Cole is 6ft 1 whereas Ngwatala is 5ft10.
As for Cole being too good for our level a look at his stats hardly backs that up. Has 44 career goals from 207 appearances. Last season at Doncaster he was 0 from 9.
Of course it could be neither of them but whoever it was let’s hope they can add something to our squad.
As for the keeper can’t say I was greatly impressed but very early days. He pushed away a really weak header in the 2nd half he could have thrown his cap on. Not at fault for 1st goal or penalty but hardly looked like he was dominating his area. Need to see more of him but really hope we can get hold of a decent keeper to bolster the team.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Old Git wrote:Not sure who the trialist is but having looked them up looks more like Devante Cole than Elton Ngwatala. The lad who played yesterday looks tall and Cole is 6ft 1 whereas Ngwatala is 5ft10.
As for Cole being too good for our level a look at his stats hardly backs that up. Has 44 career goals from 207 appearances. Last season at Doncaster he was 0 from 9.
Of course it could be neither of them but whoever it was let’s hope they can add something to our squad.
As for the keeper can’t say I was greatly impressed but very early days. He pushed away a really weak header in the 2nd half he could have thrown his cap on. Not at fault for 1st goal or penalty but hardly looked like he was dominating his area. Need to see more of him but really hope we can get hold of a decent keeper to bolster the team.
Stats are a funny thing because you can twist them how you want.

9 appearances at a Doncaster last season includes four off the bench. All of which came during a six-week period after a month out of the game where he moved from Scotland to England. And in that time at Donny there was the start of immense disruption due to coronavirus.

Around half his career appearances came off the bench, and the majority of his career has been spent on loan at clubs (I.E.) not settled. And you’re taking figures from the early part of his career where he was still developing and learning. It would be pretty harsh to be expecting a 21-year-old to average a goal per two matches in the EFL.

Not making a judgement on how good Devante Cole is BTW, just making the point that there’s more to stats when you take the effort to dig deeper. A lot of people take stats at face value and it’s important to consider wider context.

Either way it’s immaterial because the trialist isn’t Devante Cole and anyone who thinks it is should book in with an optician ASAP.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Re: Watch "Goals: Fleetwood Town v Darlington" on YouTube

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:17 pm

He looks more like Andy Cole than Devante Cole

D_F_C

Re: Watch "Goals: Fleetwood Town v Darlington" on YouTube

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Some poor defending for their goals, but that’s expected at this stage. I heard ‘Cole’ during the highlights as well but I’d suggest that it’s his first name. You don’t hear the managers shout ‘Rivers’ or ‘Liddle’. Couldn’t find anyone that I’m aware of called Cole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Definitely not Devante Cole or Elton Ngwatala. It is a bit of a needle in a haystack as could be on trial from anyone and anywhere.

Maybe the club would prefer it not to be publicised anyway - thought that was one of the reasons trialist appeared on teamsheets in the first place.

First glance thought of Kioso from Hartlepool but I don't think so when re-familiarised myself with a photo, and reaffirmed by what Google tells me about his position and career trajectory!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:09 pm

To be honest, once you have a first name or last name & image these things are quite easy to work out based on a number of extensive databases available online.

It’s one of the benefits of Kev’s excellent footage over the years and one of the only things I actually find interesting during pre-season is identifying which trialists we have (each to their own!).

However, on this one, I have totally drawn a blank.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Don't disagree it is interesting, does feel like there is less mystery over trialists than I feel there used to be. Perhaps just a symptom of the sheer volume of information that is available so readily.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Could it be one Donawa’s friends from the Caribbean , I don’t know just putting it out there

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Could be anyone from anywhere really.

As you say Donawa could have connections, he could be ex Accrington like Liddle / Hatfield and Hunt. Could be from over Blackpool way recommended by Campbell, could have been recommended by Joey Barton seeing as though he called us for a friendly.

Could be from Boro / Newcastle / Sunderland what with Holloway, McMahon and Armstrong connections.

Could be completely random and be a lad from down south now at uni or just moved for work and contacted us.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Usually things come out in the wash eventually. Like you say, Lo, it’s probably a culmination of better footage, player databases & social media that means it’s hard to keep things under wraps.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:07 am

joejaques wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:13 pm
AndyPark wrote:

Andy must be getting on a bit now. :roll:
And is also quite seriously ill.

Devante Cole is his son, not sure if anyone has mentioned in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am

Spyman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:07 am
Devante Cole is his son, not sure if anyone has mentioned in the thread.
Yep - and it's pretty obvious from looking at him he is the image of his Dad!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Fleetwood won 3-1 tonight at Carlisle in EFL Trophy and Harvey scored twice.