Ground share

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Ground share

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 pm

DJ is saying that it would be better to ground share rather than the prospect of fans not been able to attend because of ground attendance restrictions, alluding to the Arena.

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Ground share

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 pm

Where has this been said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 pm
DJ is saying that it would be better to ground share rather than the prospect of fans not been able to attend because of ground attendance restrictions, alluding to the Arena.
We already ground share?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Article on the BT Sport website.

The article states that we have requested (to the league) that we temporarily move back to the Arena.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Makes sense in the short term if we can fit everyone in who wants to go, these are very different times , we need to adapt to get through this 👍

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2020/augu ... gton-chief

Sorry Dave, but realistically do you see Blyth playing at St James' Park, Spennymoor playing at the Stadium of Light and Altrincham playing at the Etihad? The Arena could well be feasible as it is in town but I cannot see this catching on elsewhere, the prospect of supporters returning at all in around 7 weeks time could also be considered fanciful.

Pie in the sky imho.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Interesting .........
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Sorry Dave, but realistically do you see Blyth playing at St James' Park, Spennymoor playing at the Stadium of Light and Altrincham playing at the Etihad? The Arena could well be feasible as it is in town but I cannot see this catching on elsewhere, the prospect of supporters returning at all in around 7 weeks time could also be considered fanciful.

Pie in the sky imho.
I think you are taking his point too literally.

Obviously not every club will require this measure, as a percentage of some club’s current capacity will be close to their average attendances (especially if no away fans are permitted).

I see his point - it will be needed for some clubs - and he has requested for us to temporarily play at the Arena. Strength in numbers.

But yes, totally pie in the sky, and we absolutely should not plan for a scheduled return on 3rd October because some think it is “fanciful”.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:46 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Pie in the sky imho.
I don’t read it like that, most non league club’s don’t reach their capacity ie Gateshead 11500 normal 1000, ours 1500 and you are at 50 percent , those that don’t have to no problem. If it’s gets us through this, then that’s ayes from me

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:03 pm

It's a needs must, if we can get agreement to do it then it makes total sense.

Not sure we will get the go ahead mind though, as some clubs may not have the option.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:11 pm

This makes complete sense given the circumstances, especially with our season ticket sales alone likely exceeding the allowable capacity at BM. It would also be good if we could pay a subscription fee to screen the matches live online, something which DJ has touched on in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 pm

What is the “allowable capacity at BM” ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Isn't there a rule that the capacity of your temporary ground must be capped at the capacity of your permanent ground?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:26 pm

If that was the case, then you would hope that the rules will be relaxed given the unique circumstances.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Obviously not every club will require this measure, as a percentage of some club’s current capacity will be close to their average attendances (especially if no away fans are permitted).

I see his point - it will be needed for some clubs - and he has requested for us to temporarily play at the Arena. Strength in numbers.

But yes, totally pie in the sky, and we absolutely should not plan for a scheduled return on 3rd October because some think it is “fanciful”.
When did I suggest we should not plan for a scheduled return on October 3rd?

Also I did not suggest that a return on October 3rd was fanciful, I was suggesting that supporters being allowed back into grounds by then could well be considered as such it remains a possibility that the league could resume behind closed doors.

Also whilst there may be some logic in his proposal, to me it is not realistic I was being facetious when I mentioned Blyth sharing with Newcastle etc many other clubs do not happen to have the luxury of a larger venue on their doorsteps.
Last edited by quaker4life on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm
Isn't there a rule that the capacity of your temporary ground must be capped at the capacity of your permanent ground?
think that was when clubs moved FA Cup games to cash in on extra gate receipts

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:40 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm

When did I suggest we should not plan for a scheduled return on October 3rd?

Also I did not suggest that a return on October 3rd was fanciful, I was suggesting that supporters being allowed back into grounds back then could well be considered as such it remains a possibility that the league could resume behind closed doors.

Also whilst there may be some logic in his proposal, to me it is not realistic I was being facetious when I mentioned Blyth sharing with Newcastle etc many other clubs do not happen to have the luxury of a larger venue on their doorsteps.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Out of interest (and admittedly severe boredom) I've looked at the NLN Line Up and looked at some of the nearest Premier/Football League grounds to some of the clubs there was some interesting matches!

I apologise in advance for this Darlo_Pete style post and probable lack of accuracy.

AFC Fylde - Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
AFC Telford United - New Meadow, Shrewsbury
Alfreton Town - Field Mill, Mansfield Town
Blyth Spartans - St James' Park, Newcastle
Boston United - London Road, Peterborough
Brackley Town - Sixfields, Northampton
Bradford Park Avenue - Valley Parade, Bradford
Chester - Prenton Park, Tranmere
Chorley - University of Bolton Stadium, Bolton
Curzon Ashton - Boundary Park, Oldham
Farsley Celtic - Valley Parade, Bradford
Gloucester City - Whaddon Road, Cheltenham
Guiseley - Valley Parade, Bradford
Hereford - New Meadow, Shrewsbury
Kettering Town - Sixfields, Northampton
Kidderminster Harriers - Molinuex, Wolverhampton
Leamington - Sixfields, Northampton
Southport - Goodison Park, Everton
Spennymoor Town - St James' Park, Newcastle
York City - Wetherby Road, Harrogate (Are Harrogate Town really in the Football League?!)

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 pm
Out of interest (and admittedly severe boredom) I've looked at the NLN Line Up and looked at some of the nearest Premier/Football League grounds to some of the clubs there was some interesting matches!

I apologise in advance for this Darlo_Pete style post and probable lack of accuracy.

York City - Wetherby Road, Harrogate (Are Harrogate Town really in the Football League?!)
Scheduling nightmare for Valley Parade and Sixfields (although Leamington is closer to St Andrews than it is to Sixfields).

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Coventry got there first anyway!

The Ricoh Arena is actually closer than both St Andrew's and Sixfields but it is no longer listed is a football league ground.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 am

Be very interesting to see what comes out of DMP RUFC's extraordinary general meeting to discuss options after the council pulled out of the £20M Sports Village plans. Some members are suspicious that an anonymous benefactor who had effectively taken over the club’s liabilities from the council could make a move to take control of the club at the meeting.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 am

Radged...

But couldn't that be a conflict of interests? Though they are two different sports I suppose.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 am

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 pm
Coventry got there first anyway!

The Ricoh Arena is actually closer than both St Andrew's and Sixfields but it is no longer listed is a football league ground.
Still Suprised coventry can get away with no ground of there own in the city i thought you had to have a ten year security of tenure in the efl and there seems to have been no timeline set in there groundshare at birmingham
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

eek

Post by eek » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 am
Be very interesting to see what comes out of DMP RUFC's extraordinary general meeting to discuss options after the council pulled out of the £20M Sports Village plans. Some members are suspicious that an anonymous benefactor who had effectively taken over the club’s liabilities from the council could make a move to take control of the club at the meeting.
Isn't that meeting tonight?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Radged...

But couldn't that be a conflict of interests? Though they are two different sports I suppose.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, has to be much more attractive a proposition than propping up Poolies with nothing to show for his investment.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 am

e resuming with heavily reduced capacities.

By Press Association Published: 11 August 2020 - 4.23pm

UK

Football

Darlington chief executive David Johnston has called for non-league clubs to be allowed to ground-share with EFL neighbours to maximise gate receipts in the Covid era.

The National League is scheduled to resume action on October 3, with the current plan allowing clubs to do so with reduced capacities for spectators.

For National League North Darlington, that could mean re-opening their Blackwell Meadows stadium at just 17 per cent capacity – around 550 – when the club has in excess of 650 season ticket holders alone.

The Quakers have asked the league for permission to return temporarily to their former home at the 25,500-seater Northern Echo Arena to allow their fans and travelling supporters to attend in greater numbers, and Johnston believes clubs in the pyramid just below the Football League would benefit from similar arrangements.

Darlington have asked to be able to return temporarily to their former home at the Northern Echo Arena (PA).

He told the PA news agency: “I’d rather have everybody that can get in getting in in a very safe, controlled manner than 17 per cent and arguments, headaches, refunds and damaging financial stability.

“I really wonder whether every club at the lower level should look to ground-share with an EFL club – to say, ‘Can we ground-share until the rules on crowd control are back to where they need to be?’ – because any club will suffer at 17 to 33 per cent.

“Why don’t we have clubs pairing up with local Football League sides and saying, ‘Can we ground-share with you?’ And pay the licence fee for the period of ground restriction, and then everybody can get to watch the football, everybody can go to see their team in a safe, controlled manner.

“It’s not about finance – obviously the finances around sustainability have to be questioned – but I’m talking about how do you get the right number of fans who want to congregate into a facility safely and there’s no risk of infection or a spike?

“I really wonder whether every club at the lower level should look to ground-share with an EFL club - to say, 'Can we ground-share until the rules on crowd control are back to where they need to be?'”
- Darlington chief executive David Johnston

“There are solutions, but the league is going to (have to) be a little bit agile, think innovatively and look a what is best for the future of our game.”

League rivals and neighbours Gateshead, who are tenants at the town’s International Stadium, are fortunate enough to have an 11,500-seater venue at their disposal, meaning they will not be impacted unduly by social distancing restrictions, having recorded an average attendance of just under 1,000 last season.

Indeed, they are hoping to attract bigger crowds as they attempt to offset the loss of revenue from a cancelled pre-season programme, which included visits from Premier League side Newcastle and Sky Bet Championship duo Middlesbrough and Blackburn.

Chairman Neil Pinkerton told the PA news agency: “We lost a really lucrative pre-season – we had Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Blackburn at home and, with fans, that’s pretty good going. That was a big hit, so we’re looking at a substantial projected loss there.

“We’re hoping to stream pre-season friendlies, which in comparison to having fans in the stands is nothing financially, so next season we’re cutting our cloth accordingly across

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 am

quaker4life wrote:

Farsley is in Leeds so could play at Elland Road. Bootham Crescent actually has a bigger capacity than Harrogate anyway.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:51 am

As a club we seem to be on the front foot with DJ and the board in charge. Think this is an excellent idea for us if it comes off, and a nightmare organising who attends if not. I for one would be happy to go back to the arena temporarily if it allows me to watch the Quakers play football, (really missing it). Who knows it may even increase crowds as I am sure people will be looking for something different to do at this time.

I seem to think a few other clubs followed us on things like boost the budget, and donating last years season ticket money for the tax benefit. Where we step others follow :D

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 am

quaker4life wrote:
Ha Harrogate are but their ground isn't...

Thought Spenny would be closer to the Stadium of Light than St James'

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:01 am

There is going to be financial impact regardless by the sounds of this. There are no plans which don't end up costing more or bringing in less.

Our contract with DRFC is that we play our home games there and pay to do so. We didn't owe anything on games not fulfilled last season because the games weren't played.

If we play elsewhere then I think we have to pay rent.

I guess this is worth it financially if the extra gate money received > extra costs incurred. DJ seems to indicate than an extra 700-800 would cover that.

Also not sure what the implications would be for all the commercial revenues we have and advertising round a ground without the same level of oversight exposure.