Thommo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Thommo

Post by H1987 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:55 am

Gone.

A little bit sad he won’t make a testimonial, but I think it’s probably time from a footballing perspective. Legs are going for this level sadly.

AndyPark

Re: Thommo

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 16, 2020 11:58 am

Wouldn’t be too shocked if he ended up at Shields.

Good luck Thommo, fantastic servant to the club :clap:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:55 am
Gone.

A little bit sad he won’t make a testimonial, but I think it’s probably time from a footballing perspective. Legs are going for this level sadly.
If true it is truly sad. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the man.
Maybe no testimonial but that does not stop us having an on-line collection to show our appreciation, and then possibly a presentation evening.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:07 pm

banktopp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm
H1987 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:55 am
Gone.

If true it is truly sad. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the man.
Maybe no testimonial but that does not stop us having an on-line collection to show our appreciation, and then possibly a presentation evening.
An online collection?!

Thompson was a fantastic player for us, what a great player we've all seen over the last 8 years. Sorry to see him leave.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Wow it doesn't surprise me, not really done anything in the second half of the season. was always a sub & obviously was on a decent wage. Thanks for everything you've done for the club Thommo & sorry you didn't break Alan Walsh's record. Good luck for the future.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Bit of a surprise, but that's probably because of what he's achieved. A genuine club legend who was instrumental in our promotions.

But when I think on it, it makes sense. He wasn't first choice any more and did appear to be past his peak with us. But I think he'll still have loads to offer for clubs a level or two below us.

Think that just leaves Galbraith from the Northern League-winning squad.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Many thanks to Thommo a genuine club legend. Will always get a warm reception at Blackwell Meadows.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 pm

A shame and a bit of a surprise, but I can see the reasoning from both sides.

Huge part of the club's history and will go down as a legend from r the part he's played in our rise through non-league.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm
Bit of a surprise, but that's probably because of what he's achieved. A genuine club legend who was instrumental in our promotions.

But when I think on it, it makes sense. He wasn't first choice any more and did appear to be past his peak with us. But I think he'll still have loads to offer for clubs a level or two below us.

Think that just leaves Galbraith from the Northern League-winning squad.
My thoughts exactly. We have a lot to be thankful for as his contribution to our rise has been a memorable one.
He does need a new challenge and warming the bench for us is not for him. Best of luck to him.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Very sad if true.

I just remember how unbelievable he was in the first 2 or 3 seasons especially. The Northern League was way, way, way, WAY below his level of ability and that is one of the reasons why we smashed that league like it's never been smashed before, nor ever will be smashed again.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat May 16, 2020 12:59 pm

So sad that his departure signals the end of an era the best era I've had in my half century of supporting Darlington FC not only was thommo a club icon some of his goals and performances will live forever in our memory burscough away for instance the rocket at banner bridge the forty yard swirler in the wind at Moseley and that unforgettable moment he got the ton at Christmas with the penalty against spennymoor. Farewell club legend and matter where you turn up next (Hartlepool excepted) I'm sure myself and all our supporters wish you all the best for the future.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat May 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Banner bridge and no matter that should read don't think it's just my eyesight going I hat predictive text.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm

I'll spell bamber bridge correctly if it's the last thing I do lol😁 I wish I'd flagged up his scorcher against brackley town instead now.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Absolutely gutted, was hoping for one more season but just wonder if it's Thommo's decision more than AA's.Will be very strange not having him around and will be very,very surprised if he has not had a very good offer from S Shields.Had a feeling he would be on his way after the number of times he was on the bench but still gutted he has gone.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Looks like it was Thommo’s decision to go according to the club website. At 31 he probably feels he needs to have a greater chance of regular football and would do a lot of bench warming if he stayed here.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Owes us nothing, maybe the opportunity for more regular starts and less onerous travelling demands mean its the right decision for him, and probably for the club as well. Wish him well wherever he goes, except Spenny - he wouldn't, would he?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:07 pm

I don’t think anybody could begrudge him a move to Spennymoor. At the end of the day he wasn’t first-choice here anymore, and by the sounds of it we offered him reduced terms.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 16, 2020 2:08 pm

If true about Thommo I'm surprised as I think A.A. wanted him to stay onboard, I too think a lucrative offer has come in to tempt him.
Mister e wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm
I'll spell bamber bridge correctly if it's the last thing I do lol😁 I wish I'd flagged up his scorcher against brackley town instead now.
Use bloody capital letters then. As in Bamber Bridge :D :D
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I don’t think anybody could begrudge him a move to Spennymoor. At the end of the day he wasn’t first-choice here anymore, and by the sounds of it we offered him reduced terms.
It's bad enough Thommo going and will be even worse if he ends up at that lot.Would rather it was South Shields if anyone.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 pm
Owes us nothing, maybe the opportunity for more regular starts and less onerous travelling demands mean its the right decision for him, and probably for the club as well. Wish him well wherever he goes, except Spenny - he wouldn't, would he?
If he couldn't get in our team then he's not going to get into the Spenny team to be honest.

I dunno, maybe they have made a move for him, maybe to give themselves a collective hard on.

I wish him nothing but luck wherever he goes, even if it's sat on the bench counting his vibes at Spendy.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat May 16, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm not surprised - he was no longer first choice for us, and I get the impression he wants to play regularly. Probably the right time for both to move on.

One of my favourite players to watch in a Darlo shirt ever, particuarly in those first few seasons where he was often so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch. Some of the goals he's scored will live long in the memory.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:47 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:31 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:I don’t think anybody could begrudge him a move to Spennymoor. At the end of the day he wasn’t first-choice here anymore, and by the sounds of it we offered him reduced terms.
It's bad enough Thommo going and will be even worse if he ends up at that lot.Would rather it was South Shields if anyone.

I too am gutted to see Thompson leave.

However, what we have to remember is that he had a limited impact last season (a lot less mins & appearances than usual) and we seemed to do quite well. I don't think out wide was an area of particular weakness last season, not with Rivers & Donawa anyway.

And, from a financial point of view, he signed a new deal when the budget was at its peak & when he was probably at his peak as a footballer. Can we justify paying someone a decent chunk of the budget to sit - predominately - on the bench? Probably not. He's 31 now and by the time next season starts, probably pushing on 32.

Nonetheless, what a fantastic footballer. Those seasons in the Northern League & the one after in the Evo-Stik he was simply unplayable.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

At the AGM DJ said our high earners would be offered reduced terms for next season and, though he didn’t name any one, most of us knew he meant Tommo, Tez and possibly Wheatley so it’s not surprising he’s decided to move on, especially as he was unlikely to be a regular starter.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm
At the AGM DJ said our high earners would be offered reduced terms for next season and, though he didn’t name any one, most of us knew he meant Tommo, Tez and possibly Wheatley so it’s not surprising he’s decided to move on, especially as he was unlikely to be a regular starter.
Wheatley would be one I would be more inclined to pay more to if it makes a difference to him staying or not.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:54 pm

dfc4me wrote:
And Trotman too.

All 4 signed current/new contracts when the budget was at it's absolute peak over the recent 8 years, or very close to it. Probably only right that we are trying to move away from that level of expenditure now.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 pm
dfc4me wrote:
Wheatley would be one I would be more inclined to pay more to if it makes a difference to him staying or not.
Agreed - only if we can afford too though.

Under 24 so we would be due compensation if he decides to move on (providing the same or improved terms were offered).

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat May 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Sods Law innit? My legend tee shirt arrives in the post this morning, and this afternoon he's gone. Thanks for everything Thommo. Sure you'll do yourself & DFC proud wherever you go. Just a shame you didn't get that one more. Stay safe young man, and thanks again. :roll:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 pm

By far the best player for Darlington FC over the last six years, good luck Steve wherever you end up thanks for some very memorable goals and performances ,hope to see you at blackwell now and again time permitting.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 16, 2020 3:29 pm

South Shields would be my guess.

More money and playing in a league where he will find things easier - and probably end of season glory too.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:South Shields would be my guess.

More money and playing in a league where he will find things easier - and probably end of season glory too.
Plus 3 of his ex team mates are there as well including Brownie who he seems best mates with.