Coronavirus and DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:10 pm

I’m a season ticket holder but will make a donation in the collection buckets to help the club and would urge other season ticket holders to do the same if they can.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:21 pm

It'll be the last chance to see us for some time, although living near Boston I'm hoping I may have the chance on Tuesday.
Divas is right in that what confronts us will be unprecedented and it will have big implications for next season too.
I'm wondering if we'll need to do some fundraising going forward to see us through until the end of the season. Eventually we might need to cost what we'd have lost in those final 4 fixtures and do a slush fund. It'll be tough as we'll have BTB too, but I think the club will need us more than ever as fan owners in the next few month as some clubs may face going to the wall.
Divas will hopefully know if this is something that can be discussed or put on the table.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:37 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:16 am
bga wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am
quakersfan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 am
I think today will be the last game in along time. As we are run by volunteers at least we don’t have a large non playing wage bill particularly with Craig Morley now left.
If the players and football management were to take a reduction or deferred payment we can get through this. HMRC are notorious in chasing monthly PAYE hopefully that will be relaxed as well as VAT. Also is the cup run money still there or has it already been spent £100k? as this could really help us get through next few months.
I’m the short terms I’m taking 3 people who support other teams along today to boost funds.
"Particularly with Craig Morley now left"......could be interpreted as a dig.....do you know how much he was on? We may still be paying him.
Not a dig at all personally thought he did a good job you only have to look at how many boards we have around the ground and additional sponsors and I have no idea on what he was paid, sales roles are often commission based. My comment about Craig is I’d imagine he was the only non playing PAYE person.
In fairness you did use the word Large wage bill and then in the same breath say particularly after he had left which could have been misinterpreted? As regards the success or otherwise of the Commercial Manager position see the AGM thread. David Johnson,s statements might suggest your views are incorrect.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:It'll be the last chance to see us for some time, although living near Boston I'm hoping I may have the chance on Tuesday.
Divas is right in that what confronts us will be unprecedented and it will have big implications for next season too.
I'm wondering if we'll need to do some fundraising going forward to see us through until the end of the season. Eventually we might need to cost what we'd have lost in those final 4 fixtures and do a slush fund. It'll be tough as we'll have BTB too, but I think the club will need us more than ever as fan owners in the next few month as some clubs may face going to the wall.
Divas will hopefully know if this is something that can be discussed or put on the table.
I’m in agreement with Vic, there’s going to be a cash shortfall and I can’t see the season being completed if peak infection is still 10-14 weeks away. It falls on us, the fans, as owners to ensure the club can get through this period. Would be a start to have a formal fund-raiser ready when the inevitable postponements / cancellations come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:41 pm

There will be serious consequences for many clubs, some of which may end in administration or even extinction. Various spaces could appear in any league which then impact promotion /relegation. Pyramids need solid foundations & could collapse.....

divas

Post by divas » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:21 pm
It'll be the last chance to see us for some time, although living near Boston I'm hoping I may have the chance on Tuesday.
Probably talking in the region of £20-25K that we’ll either lose or have to defer as a result.

Principally if we can have a good take up on the EB ticket sales before the end of the month then that will help us massively get to a position where we can try to muddle through. Having 39 week contracts that end at the end of April for playing staff is a huge benefit.

What is unclear now is how we’d handle contract extensions but it’s a problem all PT clubs will face. I guess simplistically you could potentially offer contracts for next season that wouldn’t start paying until we are playing again and have revenue coming in. However players will want money - for some it’s their only job. Could it be a chance for clubs with a benefactor to come in and offer players better terms which would see them be paid across the summer? Guess it depends on the restrictions the FA put on transfers. Very much a wait and see.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:19 pm

OK, so 500 fans chucking in 50 quid each to keep us on an even keel in a once in a lifetime occurrence.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Worst comes to worst and if the club needs backing to keep afloat - I have no doubt that we will dig deep.

I'm sure other clubs will be the same. Fingers crossed for whatever happens.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:03 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:09 am
Only pointless if we lose lol
So pointless then?

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am

divas wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Probably talking in the region of £20-25K that we’ll either lose or have to defer as a result.

Principally if we can have a good take up on the EB ticket sales before the end of the month then that will help us massively get to a position where we can try to muddle through. Having 39 week contracts that end at the end of April for playing staff is a huge benefit.

What is unclear now is how we’d handle contract extensions but it’s a problem all PT clubs will face. I guess simplistically you could potentially offer contracts for next season that wouldn’t start paying until we are playing again and have revenue coming in. However players will want money - for some it’s their only job. Could it be a chance for clubs with a benefactor to come in and offer players better terms which would see them be paid across the summer? Guess it depends on the restrictions the FA put on transfers. Very much a wait and see.
These statements are spot on, the challenges we face in the coming week/months are unprecedented. Hoping for any financial assistance from The FA or Elite Clubs is a non starter. Similarly i am sure PT Football is way down the Government priority list. We, the fans will be instrumental in getting us out the other side intact.Supporting the EB Season ticket issue should provide us with a mild insurance to fend off a medium term season suspension/expungement etc.
Stockdale and Johnston have a huge task ahead, particularly as there seems little financial headroom to absorb any loss of income.
Dealing with players, particularly those who may feel they have no future here will be troublesome.Dealing with creditors ensuring our reputation does not take another knock. DFGSC will surely be the vehicle to attract other forms of additional financial support.

One thing that goes across my mind, and very much goes with "every cloud has a silver lining" train of thought. Our landlords will not be unaffected by the current predicament. As i understand it there situation is very much hand to mouth .... will they have the resources to ride out any long term financial impacts. I can almost hear the quill on parchment as they seek DBC assistance. Not from my community charge.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:41 am

tezza wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am
divas wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

These statements are spot on, the challenges we face in the coming week/months are unprecedented. Hoping for any financial assistance from The FA or Elite Clubs is a non starter. Similarly i am sure PT Football is way down the Government priority list. We, the fans will be instrumental in getting us out the other side intact.Supporting the EB Season ticket issue should provide us with a mild insurance to fend off a medium term season suspension/expungement etc.
Stockdale and Johnston have a huge task ahead, particularly as there seems little financial headroom to absorb any loss of income.
Dealing with players, particularly those who may feel they have no future here will be troublesome.Dealing with creditors ensuring our reputation does not take another knock. DFGSC will surely be the vehicle to attract other forms of additional financial support.

One thing that goes across my mind, and very much goes with "every cloud has a silver lining" train of thought. Our landlords will not be unaffected by the current predicament. As i understand it there situation is very much hand to mouth .... will they have the resources to ride out any long term financial impacts. I can almost hear the quill on parchment as they seek DBC assistance. Not from my community charge.
As a club are we in a better position than others? Limited paid non playing staff? No stock that has been bought that can go off- ie beer etc. 47 week players contracts. Rent a ground so not liable for ongoing bills like water gas and rates?

We could almost mothball the club for a time. Will be tough no doubt but far worse for other lower league clubs with larger playing and non playing staff etc.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:07 pm

As a club are we in a better position than others? Limited paid non playing staff? No stock that has been bought that can go off- ie beer etc. 47 week players contracts. Rent a ground so not liable for ongoing bills like water gas and rates?

We could almost mothball the club for a time. Will be tough no doubt but far worse for other lower league clubs with larger playing and non playing staff etc.
[/quote]

Think we are in a better position than many as we are part time we just have to pay players up to end of 47 weeks and with no full time non playing staff it probably is a case of mothballing as you describe above.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Wayne Rooney -

"The next World Cup is in November and December 2022, so you could actually use this situation as an opportunity and say we're going to finish the 2019-20 season later this year, then prepare for 2022 by having the next two seasons starting in winter."
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:25 pm

The banning of mass gatherings is more to do with reducing the need to police these events and have ambulances on standby when they could he better used elsewhere. It's not so much about stopping the transmission of the virus.

That's why the marathon has been pushed back - huge amounts of policing and medical staff involved.

Our games will have a relatively low police presence and don't require hoards of ambulance crews.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm
Wayne Rooney -

"The next World Cup is in November and December 2022, so you could actually use this situation as an opportunity and say we're going to finish the 2019-20 season later this year, then prepare for 2022 by having the next two seasons starting in winter."
i said that to a fan yesterday that it could be a good way to trial summer football but no doubt cricket and rugby fans would start moaning.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Someone on facebook came up with this idea early last week and made a lot of sense

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm
Wayne Rooney -

I guess that works...until you see articles like the Guardian at the moment running with PHE are advising senior officials that the outbreak is going to last until Spring 2021.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 am

Rugby club must be very worried about their revenue stream & in a way Covid19 could do us a favour if they went into administration.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 am

jjljks wrote:Rugby club must be very worried about their revenue stream & in a way Covid19 could do us a favour if they went into administration.
Every cloud ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 am

jjljks wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 am
Rugby club must be very worried about their revenue stream & in a way Covid19 could do us a favour if they went into administration.
Sorry but I don’t think that is the right way to look at the situation. I am not a fan of the Rugby Club but surely we all have to support one another at the present time and hoping for their downfall is out of order.
Heartened to read in today’s Echo DJ is confident we are in a position to survive the shutdown. Clearly he is hoping the fans will rally round and he states he can also help the club as well if needed.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am

jjljks wrote:
unless im missing something then how would this help?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am

jjljks wrote:

Not funny.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm

jjljks wrote:
And we wonder why they don't like us very much.

murtonquakerfan

Post by murtonquakerfan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 pm

jjljks wrote:Rugby club must be very worried about their revenue stream & in a way Covid19 could do us a favour if they went into administration.
And how would that benefit us???

Not something I would wish on them to be honest

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:09 pm

If the administrators get called in, they look for parties interested in buying the assets of the ailing company. Could be a bargain, where else is there a pitch & facilities up to NL standards in Darlington?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 pm

jjljks wrote:If the administrators get called in, they look for parties interested in buying the assets of the ailing company. Could be a bargain, where else is there a pitch & facilities up to NL standards in Darlington?
Give your head a shake... I hate the place but wouldn't wish that on them...
Do you think Mowden pk thought I hope darlo go bust so we can steam in and get a stadium for a peppercorn rent?? You do talk some shite

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:49 pm

A fan of our club, with our history, hoping for another club to fail so we can benefit, frankly is a little contemptible.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm

jjljks wrote:
I'm sure there'd be a few property developers rubbing their hands together at that prospect.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:52 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 pm
jjljks wrote:If the administrators get called in, they look for parties interested in buying the assets of the ailing company. Could be a bargain, where else is there a pitch & facilities up to NL standards in Darlington?
Give your head a shake... I hate the place but wouldn't wish that on them...
Do you think Mowden pk thought I hope darlo go bust so we can steam in and get a stadium for a peppercorn rent?? You do talk some shite

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
jjljks - as Harry says above "give your head a shake" :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Don't think we will kick a ball again this season. Just hoping things will be okay to start again in August.