Coronavirus and DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Coronavirus and DFC

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 am

So there has been confirmation that the first case of this virus has reached Darlington and interestingly enough the last bit of information from the Northern Echo related to DFC and whether it will effect our matches. Whether or not the individual has any association with the club in an official capacity or indirectly as a supporter is unclear.

However, my main point now is whether the club has a contingency plan for the scenario of postponed matches/behind closed doors and would it be something we as supporters may need to think about? Every penny that comes through the turnstile is our life support and no income will seriously effect survival. This crossed my mind the other day especially as bigger clubs with TV income can to a degree take the hit but any that are outside of this bubble pretty much survive with what they get by way of traditional revenue. Maybe if/when the time comes some sort of emergency boost the budget can be implemented?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

divas

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by divas » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 am

It’s very worrying for a number of reasons but like you say from a financial aspect it could be problematic. Many of our fans are of an advancing age and clearly at bigger risk of serious illness. Even if matches go ahead I expect crowds will be down partly due to this. We’ve also got a pretty much complete volunteer matchday workforce - without them matches can’t go ahead.

The current boost the budget will help to some degree as it’s a guaranteed source of regular income which at least means there’s money coming into the club but it will still be less than has been budgeted.

The first thing we can do is anyone who needs to renew a season ticket for next season or is thinking of taking one should try and do that before the end of the EB period in March which will definitely help cash flow.

Looking at the remaining games there’s probably around £30-35K of lost revenue if the fixtures aren’t played or played behind closed doors.

I’d imagine Saturday will probably be ok but looking at the situation in Italy I think there’s a very real scenario that by the 25th when we’re due to play Leamington the decision may be taken for us.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 am

Is there any logic that the recent drop in interest rates allows opportunities to ease immediate cash flow concerns...

It's not the perfect situation but should be pretty cheap money.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am

divas wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 am
It’s very worrying for a number of reasons but like you say from a financial aspect it could be problematic. Many of our fans are of an advancing age and clearly at bigger risk of serious illness. Even if matches go ahead I expect crowds will be down partly due to this. We’ve also got a pretty much complete volunteer matchday workforce - without them matches can’t go ahead.

The current boost the budget will help to some degree as it’s a guaranteed source of regular income which at least means there’s money coming into the club but it will still be less than has been budgeted.

The first thing we can do is anyone who needs to renew a season ticket for next season or is thinking of taking one should try and do that before the end of the EB period in March which will definitely help cash flow.

Looking at the remaining games there’s probably around £30-35K of lost revenue if the fixtures aren’t played or played behind closed doors.

I’d imagine Saturday will probably be ok but looking at the situation in Italy I think there’s a very real scenario that by the 25th when we’re due to play Leamington the decision may be taken for us.
does anybody think the banning of football attendances will include non-league? i can understand PL and EFL but how many non-league grounds get huge attendances on a scale that EFL teams get?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 am

It's all guesswork right now. The advice will change pretty rapidly if it does change so there is sense in planning for all eventualities you just hope they don't happen.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am
divas wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 am

does anybody think the banning of football attendances will include non-league? i can understand PL and EFL but how many non-league grounds get huge attendances on a scale that EFL teams get?
Some countries have banned gatherings of >1000.

So.e have not imposed any ban

Other countries >5000

It's all speculation at the moment what if anything will happen in the UK

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:02 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 am
It's all guesswork right now. The advice will change pretty rapidly if it does change so there is sense in planning for all eventualities you just hope they don't happen.
I wonder if there may be some kind of limit placed on attendances? If so for smaller cubs this could be season ticket holders only but would this even be viable? And then there are the players and officials to think of. If the smaller sporting events start to be a concern then I reckon we will all have bigger things to worry about.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 am

Banning gatherings of 1000+ not a problem for Spenny. They will just have to publish their actual attendance not the inflated figures they usually do !

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 am

Honestly, I think we would just have to set up a donation option to donate match ticket costs, if worst came to worst.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:43 am
City v Arsenal Postponed.
7 of Arsenal Team have Virus . Seems very easy to contract
If you come in close proximity to a carrier of Virus .
Begs question if Forest Team and Visiting Directors have contacted Virus .
Can only become Pandemic. Though Liverpool Council have given Greenlight to Sporting Events to its Football Club. Can only assume subject to change .

Can't see any news to say 7 Arsenal players have the corona virus. Players may be self isolating. That is very different to having corona virus

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 am
Club maybe should liaise with Health Authorities.
Have swab Team at the game/s .

At present they are not even testing everyone who calls 111 or present with symptoms of the virus. They are only routinely testing those who have been to certain countries and present with symptoms of the virus

There is little to zero chance of them being able to test people attending a football match let alone having the capacity to process the samples
The current Fan module has been an outstanding success.
Though only to the point of Revenue raised for Playing Budget . Regardless of how bad current finances are .
Club should be able to survive with Sales of Talented Footballers. However that may have impact on Future of Management Team and The Core of Team signed . AA Left Blyth because of Budget cuts . Regards games . If you have a Cold or symptoms . Stay away from the game . Donate your gate money . Article I read regards Corona Virus . Seems to hide or hibernate in mucus secretions. Then manifests once swallowed into stomach. It then interacts with the acids and locates into lungs . Where it then seem able to attack other areas . Causes pneumonia type symptoms. Looking at How Alun Armstrong managed to obtain Sevices of Jack Lambert for free . Indicates no funds available in Playing Budget. So loss of Gate Revenue will impact hard .
If Club does have to play behind closed doors .
Could always set up Matchday Boost Fund . Where if not able to attend . Club still gets income .
If the situation becomes so severe that consideration at this level to playing behind closed doors is a reality, then it is likely games will not proceed as players or officials/ volunteers will have the virus

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm

The government declaring war on corona virus is akin to the Italians declaring war on Abyssinia. I mean really?

Speaking to a few consultants today at Janes Cook and they agreed the media circus is totally over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm

The doctors in Italy are singing a very different tune. Let’s see where we are in 2 weeks time when our path catches up with them.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 pm
The government declaring war on corona virus is akin to the Italians declaring war on Abyssinia. I mean really?

Speaking to a few consultants today at Janes Cook and they agreed the media circus is totally over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to the Italian doctors then it's not over the top. Pretty tough listening to them say how bad it's been in Italy.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:45 pm
Incorrect of me to say they have Virus . Though number is greater than I stated who have come into contact with Chairman of Forest . The very fact been in contact is worrying. Possibility could contract symptoms or pass if stays dormant . Given incubation is thought to be around 14 days . Having to self isolate .
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 93036.html
Yeh but also the whole of the Olympiakos team and Forest team came into contact with the owner more recently than the Arsenal team did...and they have all been tested and come back negative.

I'm not sure "the very fact of being in contact is worrying".

This is the problem. The BBC reported the game being called off because of coronavirus "fear" it isn't a fear it is a precautionary measure. I think use of those words is very typical of the media response.
divas wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm
The doctors in Italy are singing a very different tune. Let’s see where we are in 2 weeks time when our path catches up with them.
It does depend if this will happen. It's hard to really say at the moment but 2 weeks ago we had more cases than Italy, I think we had 9 and they had 4 - so why are we now playing catch up? Have they not already caught us up instead?

Clearly there it is also possible that the virus was pretty rampant in Italy at that point but suggestions are the symptoms were being misdiagnosed as flue / common cold so 4 wasn't a particularly accurate figure.

I also like the theory that I have already had it. I remember now for a few days in the run up to Christmas I was wiped out by something - there was a point we were going to cancel hosting on Christmas Day as I spent all of Christmas eve asleep what if that was coronavirus?

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 pm

There was a article on the BBC website about why Italy was so much worse than us. Basically it’s because they are a much more ‘tactile’ people than us. Where as we shake hands they kiss cheeks and hug whenever they meet and again when they leave. The perfect way to spread Coronavirus very quickly.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:07 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 pm
Dilly-dilly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:43 am
City v Arsenal Postponed.
7 of Arsenal Team have Virus . Seems very easy to contract
If you come in close proximity to a carrier of Virus .
Begs question if Forest Team and Visiting Directors have contacted Virus .
Can only become Pandemic. Though Liverpool Council have given Greenlight to Sporting Events to its Football Club. Can only assume subject to change .

Can't see any news to say 7 Arsenal players have the corona virus. Players may be self isolating. That is very different to having corona virus
Well spotted Spen.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Wonder if any of our matches might have to be played behind closed doors the way everyone`s talking?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Sounds like 3 Leicester players have a cold.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Latest advice - carry on as normal and only self-isolate when symptomatic, so no stopping of sporting events.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Arteta at Arsenal has been diagnosed, so thee Arsenal team is now in self-isolation.

eek

Post by eek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:13 am

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am
EFL All games Suspended till April 3 .
Premier League also and other Leagues .
Looks like GAME OFF
Not yet - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/51867944 says National League games are still on - let's wait and see what the league management decides.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am

National League meeting within the next hour. I think we all know what’s going to happen, if they have any common sense.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am

Darlo2807 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am
National League meeting within the next hour. I think we all know what’s going to happen, if they have any common sense.
You mean they will go against the advise of the Prime Minister??

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm

I've had email saying conversations are still ongoing with NL but I suspect it will go the same way.

Suspect one of the factors now will be where the PL / EFL fans will go if they find out their local non-league game is on.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Coronavirus is not in Darlington, it has been miss reported. The lady in question is a resident of Durham who was brought to the coronavirus pod in Darlington to test if she was infected. I say again Coronavirus IS NOT IN DARLINGTON. USE HEALTHY CLEANSING, WASHING HANDS AND COUGHING INTO TISSUES AND DISPOSE OF IN BINS ,AFTER TOUCHING SOMETHING YOU THINK IS A PROBABLE DANGER SANITIZE YOUR HAND DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU HAVE CLEANSED.THAT WAY YOU WILL GIVE YOURSELF THE BEST CHANCE OF STAYING CLEAR OF THE VIRUS. COMMON SENSE REALLY.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm
I've had email saying conversations are still ongoing with NL but I suspect it will go the same way.

Suspect one of the factors now will be where the PL / EFL fans will go if they find out their local non-league game is on.
In other words a Marketing opportunity for us? Surely with the right message we can persuade a few (50-100?) Boro fans and dare I say it Sunderland fans to come and have a look at us? I am sure other non-league Clubs will be thinking the same so let's get the message out there. I guess the best route is via Supporters Group so I hope DFCSG are onto this with Boro and Sunderland who must have a large database.
Rob what do you think to the idea?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm

bga wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:

In other words a Marketing opportunity for us? Surely with the right message we can persuade a few (50-100?) Boro fans and dare I say it Sunderland fans to come and have a look at us? I am sure other non-league Clubs will be thinking the same so let's get the message out there. I guess the best route is via Supporters Group so I hope DFCSG are onto this with Boro and Sunderland who must have a large database.
I'm not sure this is a sensible post?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm

It's almost beyond belief that wildlife trade and slaughter at a dirty market in China would eventually lead to Darlo games being postponed.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:47 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm
bga wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:

I'm not sure this is a sensible post? Marketing opportunity :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!