Signs of global warming

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12641
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Signs of global warming

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 am

I was working yesterday in Frosterley a village up in Weardale yesterday & I was amazed to see a bluebottle fly flying around outside. I was always told that you needed some hard wintry weather to kill off all the bugs & fly's before the following spring. We've barely had any frosts & certainly no severe one's so far this winter & definitely no snow. It all adds up to global warming.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:04 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 am
I was working yesterday in Frosterley a village up in Weardale yesterday & I was amazed to see a bluebottle fly flying around outside. I was always told that you needed some hard wintry weather to kill off all the bugs & fly's before the following spring. We've barely had any frosts & certainly no severe one's so far this winter & definitely no snow. It all adds up to global warming.
I would strongly suggest you come up nearer the Scottish border where we have had solid frost regularly and snow a few times dating back to October.
The winds over the last 3-4 days have caused yet more damage to trees etc.

Summer it ain't been.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12641
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 am

You would expect hard frosts in the Scottish borders, as you would throughout the north east of England as well, but it just isn't happening. You would normally never see fly's anywhere during the winter, so to see one flying round in early January, just goes to show how mild it has been.

Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 am
You would expect hard frosts in the Scottish borders, as you would throughout the north east of England as well, but it just isn't happening. You would normally never see fly's anywhere during the winter, so to see one flying round in early January, just goes to show how mild it has been.
Climatology and Meteorology are two different things. Short term weather patterns are not the same as climate change and evidence of one does not necessarily indicate the other.
I would not want to sound like a climate change denier but it is important not to draw too many conclusions from one mild spell. If you remember we were knee deep in snow in early March in 2018. Winter not necessarily done with yet.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:14 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 am
You would expect hard frosts in the Scottish borders, as you would throughout the north east of England as well, but it just isn't happening. You would normally never see fly's anywhere during the winter, so to see one flying round in early January, just goes to show how mild it has been.
Climatology and Meteorology are two different things. Short term weather patterns are not the same as climate change and evidence of one does not necessarily indicate the other.
I would not want to sound like a climate change denier but it is important not to draw too many conclusions from one mild spell. If you remember we were knee deep in snow in early March in 2018. Winter not necessarily done with yet.
Totally agree. Only a fool would say that things have not and are not changing.

Pete, not sure how you have had it in Darlo but up here we had NO summer last year just 2 periods of sun for about 4-5 days but at all times wet and rain in the area. As I leave home to take my dog for a walk we go uphill. There used to be a "beck" in the winter that dried up when we had no rain for a week or so. It has been in PERMANENT flow now for about 15 months and the damage to walls etc is easy enough to see.
Also at my back, I had the fire brigade this morning because a neighbors chimney collapsed.

Over the last few weeks I have had a number of flies in my lounge and about 2 weeks ago had a butterfly.
Not sure how that all fits with your climate warming, but either way, this sort of phenomenon happens every few million years.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12641
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 pm

I was working in a little village called Edmundbyers, which is approximately 8 miles West of Consett. It's near to the Derwent Reservoir. I asked someone if they'd had much snow this winter & they said that the first snow of the winter was last Monday & it only settled on the hills above the village. A couple of years ago the village was cut off for a week. Things are changing very quickly.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:07 am

The mild winters help us keep our heating systems turned off - which in turn is good for the environment. ;)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 pm
I was working in a little village called Edmundbyers, which is approximately 8 miles West of Consett. It's near to the Derwent Reservoir. I asked someone if they'd had much snow this winter & they said that the first snow of the winter was last Monday & it only settled on the hills above the village. A couple of years ago the village was cut off for a week. Things are changing very quickly.
And if next winter it snows heavily will you think things are changing back?
Climate Change is not about comparing winters a couple of years apart it is about changing weather patterns over much longer periods.

Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am

Pete just wondering with recent storms and now snow showers whether you’re rethinking your theories on climate change?

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12641
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am
Pete just wondering with recent storms and now snow showers whether you’re rethinking your theories on climate change?
Not at all, there's still been no snow this winter in the Darlo area & these named storms just go to show that the weather is getting more unpredictable & generally warmer. Having said that I was working in Tow Law yesterday & it was bloody freezing. :lol:

Old Git
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signs of global warming

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Blimey Pete you do get to some exotic places!

Post Reply