Darlington V Gloucester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Gloucester

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Fantastic return of points over the festive period and in a league position that we could not have imagined.
Still have no idea though what go,s wrong at half time. Yet again we batter a team in first half and miss 3/4 gilt edged chances to make the game safe, then play like a completely different team in second half. Same thing today and could easily have struggled more if they hadn’t been so poor. Is it fitness, mentality....it can’t be a game plan surely!
On a positive again though, what a midfielder Hatfield is, his energy and fitness after all these games is unbelievable.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Thought we were excellent in the first half, against one of poorest sides I have seen this season. Second half we were pretty poor. But a win is a win. good crowd of around 1450, more than I was expecting.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:16 pm

good to be looking up rather than down as in past seasons!!!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:26 pm

1 point off the play offs and three playoff places seem up for grabs at the minute - if we can keep in and around the pack - Alun has shown he can string wins together and I think we have the squad to do it for the first time since Gray left. The bench was strong today and we have players to come back - with the games coming thick and fast hopefully we can keep the momentum going.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm
Fantastic return of points over the festive period and in a league position that we could not have imagined.
Still have no idea though what go,s wrong at half time. Yet again we batter a team in first half and miss 3/4 gilt edged chances to make the game safe, then play like a completely different team in second half. Same thing today and could easily have struggled more if they hadn’t been so poor. Is it fitness, mentality....it can’t be a game plan surely!
On a positive again though, what a midfielder Hatfield is, his energy and fitness after all these games is unbelievable.
Hatfield might already be my all time favourite Darlo player after just half a season!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm

any thoughts on the referee? especially second half - keep it clean though

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Breedon wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm
Hatfield might already be my all time favourite Darlo player after just half a season!
Totally agree 100% What a fooking signing , God we really did have a mask on when we signed him from Guiseley... Top Top player for our level

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:any thoughts on the referee? especially second half - keep it clean though
Made him all about himself I'm affraid

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:07 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm
any thoughts on the referee? especially second half - keep it clean though
It was clear after 2minutes that his mother bought him that outfit for Christmas.Absolute clown.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:any thoughts on the referee? especially second half - keep it clean though
Made him all about himself I'm affraid

He overruled his linesman in the move leading up to their goal.the linesman flagged for handball against them and the ref played on which led to the corner.
Gave them far too many free kicks for soft challenges and they were going down like flies which he fell for time and again.
Very poor ref.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm

To be fair, I think the linesman had got it wrong and the ref was right to overrule him. It reminded me of the Adam Lallana 'handball' against Wolves the other day.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:51 pm

Just listening to the Gloucester manager who believes we have a large budget and will be in the thick of the play-off picture.

He said: "Darlington are on a good run of form. They have obviously beaten some top teams and have a big budget and a good crowd here and they are obviously going to go close and are probably going to be in the play-off area."

God knows what he must think of the budgets at the likes of York and Spendy then.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:05 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm
Thought we were excellent in the first half, against one of poorest sides I have seen this season. Second half we were pretty poor. But a win is a win. good crowd of around 1450, more than I was expecting.
Though a healthy crowd with few away fans. Should have been out of sight but will take the three points.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:49 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:51 pm
Just listening to the Gloucester manager who believes we have a large budget and will be in the thick of the play-off picture.

He said: "Darlington are on a good run of form. They have obviously beaten some top teams and have a big budget and a good crowd here and they are obviously going to go close and are probably going to be in the play-off area."

God knows what he must think of the budgets at the likes of York and Spendy then.
Maybe we do have a large budget compared to them? Regardless of the source...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:34 am

No shame in having a relatively big budget, it's been provided by a relatively big fan base and is therefore pretty sustainable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Can’t believe we only won that 2-1 really. We could have been out of sight entirely by half time, their keeper made some smart stops.

Second half we were sleep walking. Is the Gloucester goal the keeping error I suspect it was? Was down at the other end so hard to see. If so, I think Elliott will be straight back in. I’m assuming he had a fitness issue yesterday, as it was obviously a last minute change...

The referee was ridiculous. The amount of shoves in Donowas back when jumping for a header was absurd. It was so obvious and I don’t think he gave a single free kick of it. As for the blatant hack from behind he didn’t give on thin...

Will Hatfield is absolutely ridiculous for this level. I honestly can’t believe how good he is. Should be playing pro.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:11 pm

I would guess our £300k budget would have us as one of the middle group in terms of spending, bigger than the likes of Gloucester and Leamington but dwarfed by several clubs like York, the Pride, Chester, Hereford and others. One thing's for sure, our playing budget has been handled much more wisely and effectively this time around.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Breedon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 pm
Agreed, he's fucking incredible.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:13 pm

He spent four years at Guiseley so hopefully we get to keep him for a good while yet, especially as he always seems to be loving his time with us when you hear him interviewed.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 pm
Breedon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 pm
Agreed, he's fucking incredible.
If he can keep up his form for the rest of the season the vote for player of the season will be a formality. When we were struggling a bit second half yesterday he seemed to up his game and lifted the whole team. Really think he would make a great captain and should be offered it next season if he wants to do it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:He spent four years at Guiseley so hopefully we get to keep him for a good while yet, especially as he always seems to be loving his time with us when you hear him interviewed.
What is his day job? Anyone know?

You'd assume it's something he enjoys, that pays well and gives him long term security otherwise he'd surely have been picked up by a full-time side by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 pm

I actually thought the referee was good yesterday. There were quite a few fouls given to them early on, all definitely were fouls barring maybe one.

As for the handball incident, I’ll have to see it back. It’s strange that the linesman - who had a better view of the incident - flagged for a free-kick but for the referee to over-rule him who seemed to be on the blind-side. He was largely quite good and actually explained his decisions, as opposed to the ignorant approach most seem to take.

As for Hatfield, he was outstanding and has been all season.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I would guess our £300k budget would have us as one of the middle group in terms of spending, bigger than the likes of Gloucester and Leamington but dwarfed by several clubs like York, the Pride, Chester, Hereford and others. One thing's for sure, our playing budget has been handled much more wisely and effectively this time around.
One of the first things AA said was that we would be signing value for money players and that’s what he’s delivered. A mid table budget squad currently on the fringe of the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:13 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:13 pm
He spent four years at Guiseley so hopefully we get to keep him for a good while yet, especially as he always seems to be loving his time with us when you hear him interviewed.
I believe it’s nearer £330k - not sure if that includes management or Employers NI. If we get to competing for playoffs then although it’s well over budget IMO money very well spent.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Looking at our results so far, we have already played 5 out of the top 7 teams away from home with Boston and Chester to come this month.I would probably take our run in against any others tbh and I think we have a great chance of making the playoffs.
Martin and Atkinson will be added to an already good squad, our bench will be strong and gives AA plenty of selection options.Really like our style of football, we have a great team spirit and Hatfield and Wheatley are getting better and better and as good a pair of midfielders you will get in this league.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:12 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Looking at our results so far, we have already played 5 out of the top 7 teams away from home with Boston and Chester to come this month.I would probably take our run in against any others tbh and I think we have a great chance of making the playoffs.
Martin and Atkinson will be added to an already good squad, our bench will be strong and gives AA plenty of selection options.Really like our style of football, we have a great team spirit and Hatfield and Wheatley are getting better and better and as good a pair of midfielders you will get in this league.
Hadn't even considered that - great spot.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:06 pm

If you want to see how young William Hatfield spent his youth check out this Woodhouse Grove School celebration pic after victory over Solihull at Twickenham... very timely. Will was in fact a very fine rugby player and cricketer (opening batsman) and played in the Yorkshire Youth set-up alongside the likes of Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow. At the same time he was in the Leeds United Academy along with players like Danny Rose and Fabian Delph. He may well have become a cricketer but thankfully for us chose football and cricket's loss has certainly been our gain.

I think schoolboy Will may be second left kneeling (I could be wrong). He's listed in the team at the end..... hopefully he'll put one over on Solihull on Wednesday too...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/artic ... enham.html

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:46 pm

I thought the handball that the ref didn't give was obvious first time around, but watching the highlights, it looks as if the ref got it right. It also doesn't stop the fact that we had people to defend the corners and it was a mistake that led to the goal.

Even though we were clearly better in the first half, I thought it was patchy at times. Like we didn't really get out of 2nd gear, then got stuck in neutral in the second half. I said at the start of the day, it was just about the 3 points today and we got them so can't complain.

Hoping that we can get a good rest next week. So many games recently

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm
Ground it out on a pitch not conducive to playing good football. Very flat game - perhaps not surprising after the Xmas period. We missed that holding midfielder to put their foot on the ball occasionally, but 3 points is 3 points!
Not sure about the comment on the pitch looks ok to me and compared to Blyth is good.
I've seen flatter parks! Bobble bobble bobble

I thought the ref was fine to be honest. Watching the highlights, he got the handball decision spot on

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Mystified by complaints about the pitch to be honest. You won't find a much better one at this level. It looks in absolutely fine condition?!

It's a bit of an error by Connell for me, i'm a little bit confused by what he's actually doing for the goal. Weird how things can turn around for a player, for me, Chrissy Elliott has to start if he's fit.