Darlington V Gloucester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Gloucester

Post by poppyfield » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:32 pm

I think AA might make a few changes for this game.
Connell,
Hedley Laing Storey Liddle,
Donawa Hatfield Reid Thompson,
Campbell Martin.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Emdubya

Re: Darlington V Gloucester

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:10 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:32 pm
I think AA might make a few changes for this game.
Connell,
Hedley Laing Storey Liddle,
Donawa Hatfield Reid Thompson,
Campbell Martin.
The way Reid left the pitch the other day I’d be surprised if he’s involved at all.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm

I believe Terry Galbraith will return alongside Alex Storey as long as he is fit. Also Omar Holdness could return in midfield.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:30 pm

I think Elliot, Hedley, Storey, Terry, Lidz, Justin, Hatfield, Holness, Thommo, Campbell, Martin

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Why would Elliott get dropped?

Arseendoffit

Post by Arseendoffit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:09 pm
I believe Terry Galbraith will return alongside Alex Storey as long as he is fit. Also Omar Holdness could return in midfield.
I'd like to see this as it'll keep people on their toes, I think the team more so the back 5 will have been mentally knackered as much as physically after the xmas and new year games, the lads have looked fairly solid of late but saturday was putting it politely a defensive horror show so be nice to freshen it up

Arseendoffit

Post by Arseendoffit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
Why would Elliott get dropped?
Elliott tried to take some responsibility and come and clean up the mess that storey , laing and liddle put us in so yeah it looked like his fault as he's the one that came rushing out , but I'd keep it as it is for now

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Elliott certainly could do better for their first goal, but as you say the main culprits were Laing, Storey and Liddle. That doesn’t mean he should be dropped though, during this recent spell he’s been good and that’s coming from someone who didn’t rate him that highly before.

Armstrong himself says he won’t drop players for just one mistake or one bad match, although that might be tested a bit now we have more players available.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Got to put that Spenny game behind us and focus on this next game. Reid took a massive knock & I would be surprised if he is in the starting lineup. Would be nice to see Cams picking up balls from a Martin / Reid target as well as Tez coming back (although he may not be fit enough for the full 90mns). Justin deserves to keep his starting place with the proviso he gets the right kind of supply so we can exploit his speed (& heading ability). No reason to drop Elliott so AA will have a few hard decisions to make. No doubt he has at least one plan for Gloucester, but someone needs to come up with better ideas about how we take corners. Currently it would be better giving then a goal kick rather than us taking a corner🤨

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:43 am

Liddle to take corners from one side and Wheatley the other and never let Rivers or Campbell take them again haha.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:03 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:43 am
Liddle to take corners from one side and Wheatley the other and never let Rivers or Campbell take them again haha.
At least that is a plan🙌

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 am

someone mentioned that Connell, Reid and Martin aren't eligible for Wednesday. So I'd fully expect Martin to start. Reid depends on how fit he is (looked tired against Spenny). I don't think keepers necessarily need resting, so not bothered who it is (as long as Elliott doesn't get injured for Wednesday)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:43 am
Our corners over the festive period have been dismal, surely it is something that should be perfected over the festive period. I'd have Connell back in for today, as we can't afford an injury to Elliott before Wednesday.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:47 am

2 points Pete.
1. No time to practise corners over Xmas - game after game, although they have been awful. Can't beat the first man.
2. Elliott could get injured on the loo.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:01 am

If Galbraith is back as is strongly rumoured, then I'd give him a go, especially from the right. As when we used to play at HP, he used to be our primary set piece taker & he used to deliver some superb corners & freekicks. Well he can't do any worse that the players taking them at the moment.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am

On the point about corners totally agree they have mostly been awful especially at York and Spenny. Obviously we don’t have a lot of time to perfect them in training but it is an area we could definitely improve on. Please try to work on a few routines or at least hit the penalty spot. Sorry for the moan but it’s criminal to keep hitting the first defender.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:17 am

Liddle really didn't look himself at Spennymoor. One of the players of the season for us so far but maybe we'd benefit giving Watson a run at left back and give Lids a chance to recover from any niggles he's carrying if that's the case. Maybe he just had a bit of an off day and was up against a really good winger of course, but it seemed more off the pace than having a bad game.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 am

Liddle also struggled second half versus Blyth, could maybe do with a rest

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Corner taking is one of the only failings of this season.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Galbraith‘s not a bad LB👍

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Not just the delivery of set-pieces but we haven't had enough players to target when throwing it into the box. We may have a bit more presence now with Reid and Martin, sometimes I think because of this we have been reluctant to go direct at times.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

2-0 up already - get in!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Another win - close, but a win

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:09 pm

And one point behind fifth place. Unbelievable considering this team was thrown together at the start of the season. Three long term injuries, a possible goal machine waiting in the wings and a Merseysider beaming with pride tonight! Well done lads.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Much harder than it should have been. Pleased with the 3 points but lets face it Gloucester were poor and should have been thumped.Still 15 out of 18 points is an excellent return and we are right in the playoff picture now.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Ground it out on a pitch not conducive to playing good football. Very flat game - perhaps not surprising after the Xmas period. We missed that holding midfielder to put their foot on the ball occasionally, but 3 points is 3 points!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:36 pm

We should have been about four goals up by half-time after carving them open time after time but in the second half we looked laboured and tired and gift-wrapped them a goal when they hardly created any good chances in the entire game. Still, we can't complain at a return of 15 points from the last six games which has thrust us into the play-off chase and puts us in second place in the divisional form table. We're well ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage.

Oh and well done King's Lynn, always good to see footballing sides triumph over these expensively assembled long ball teams.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm
Ground it out on a pitch not conducive to playing good football. Very flat game - perhaps not surprising after the Xmas period. We missed that holding midfielder to put their foot on the ball occasionally, but 3 points is 3 points!
Not sure about the comment on the pitch looks ok to me and compared to Blyth is good.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:36 pm
Oh and well done King's Lynn, always good to see footballing sides triumph over these expensively assembled long ball teams.
Ah yes, you mean the ones that prioritise £££s on the playing squad but not on safely constructed perimeter fencing... :shh:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm
Not sure about the comment on the pitch looks ok to me and compared to Blyth is good.
Pitch looked a bit heavy and bobbly, like it had just had a Rugby game on it. Not terrible and probably what you would expect sharing a pitch with a Rugby team.

Also for some reason there was some mud in the tin shed, not sure if it was from the football or Rugby but hadn't been tidied up.