Club Statement

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Club Statement

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 pm

...or lack of it to be precise. I honestly hope we as fans aren't being thrown under the bus so as not to upset Brad and Spennymoor Town.
After all its not us that reduced the allocated space for away fans and only announced it the day before the game. Its not us that only allocated one turnstile for adults. It wasn't us that moved the segregation tape to allow fans to stand on a terrace that wasn't adequately fitted with crush barriers. It wasn't us that pushed fans back with nowhere to go that caused a crush that made the fence collapse.

Come on DFC, do the right thing.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Club Statement

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Could also be Robbo that DJ is waiting until Saturday's game to get some feedback from the fans.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

I assume that no comment is being made while the police are involved.

As I said in the other thread though, I expect the club to stand up for the right of its fans to attend an away game which has been competently and safely organised

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 pm

We have heard plenty from various Spennymoor sources so why nothing from us? Even if its a case of "we are concerned about events and waiting for further details etc" rather than a deafening silence.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Maybe the case that David Johnston is busy with his own business affairs or perhaps he wants to make a measured response when emotions are not running so high. I would be very surprised and disappointed if he did not come out in support of our fans in due course.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Let them say as much as they want. It just gives us more time to deconstruct what they say.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:31 pm

So why is it ok for Spennymoor to put their spin on things & we can't? Hopefully the club are just preparing a statement, to put the true picture of what happened yesterday.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:32 pm

I have faith in the club and think they will be getting everything in order, answers for all questions and fully evidencing issues before commenting

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:34 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:32 pm
I have faith in the club and think they will be getting everything in order, answers for all questions and fully evidencing issues before commenting
Correct

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:46 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:34 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Correct
:thumbup:

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:58 pm

I'd rather the club took their time, processed all the information properly, than knee-jerk and embarrass themselves on social media.

If it all turns out to be a storm in a teacup, I'd rather we kept our powder dry.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Beano wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:58 pm
I'd rather the club took their time, processed all the information properly, than knee-jerk and embarrass themselves on social media.

If it all turns out to be a storm in a teacup, I'd rather we kept our powder dry.
My point was something along the line of a full statement will be due as and when we have gone through all the info, simple as that. Silence while theres mudslinging coming from the other side isn't always a good thing either.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:10 pm

The club is well aware of what is going on and the depth of the supporters' feelings about the attempts to frame us. Some members of the DFCSG are members on here too. The best we can do as members on here is gather our video/photo evidence, as people are already doing.

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:43 pm

I contacted DFCSG earlier in the day and they are currently taking stock of matters and waiting to find out what is been done at club level. That’s fair enough I suppose, but I do hope thinks aren’t allowed to go unchallenged for our side.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Yeah, no issues from me. A calm, collected response is what is needed.

Spennymoor embarrassed themselves yesterday, particularly on social media.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Which was my point, and not at all a dig at loan_star.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:05 pm

I wish the police statement in the Echo was more measured, impartial, objective and accurate.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Beano wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm
H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Which was my point, and not at all a dig at loan_star.
I think, for once, just about all of us are on the same page here.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:05 pm
I wish the police statement in the Echo was more measured, impartial, objective and accurate.
Well the way I read what was stated in that article was that the police were called in to deal with fans getting on the pitch and throwing objects. Later in the article there is, what appears to be, a quite measured statement from Spennymoor saying they are unwilling to make any comments until matters have been investigated. So who told the police that fans were on the pitch and throwing things? The police, to be fair to them, are only reporting what they were told to get them to turn up. It is the less than measured response of someone who asked for their attendance that needs questioning.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm

I actually don't mind the silence. We're keeping quiet and letting the reaction die down and conveniently every single Spenny version of events or snide insinuation from the club has been absolutely destroyed by video or picture evidence, some from neutral fans of other clubs saying what a state the fence was in. I'm the first to condemn the idiotic element of our support when they carry on like morons but other than a hand full of stone island idiots I've never seen before making half arsed attempts to get at the Spenny fans (and Spenny had their own little lot doing the same), I don't think the fans did much wrong yesterday. Spenny haven't got a leg to stand on and are making themselves look absolutely terrible by refusing to own any of what happened.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Interesting to re-read page 2 of this thread. everyone predicting that this was going to be a very bad decision. These comments were all given well before the game.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:07 pm

My opinion wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 pm
Interesting to re-read page 2 of the spennymoor thread. everyone predicting that this was going to be a very bad decision. These comments were all given well before the game.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:So why is it ok for Spennymoor to put their spin on things & we can't? Hopefully the club are just preparing a statement, to put the true picture of what happened yesterday.
We don't have to put 'our spin' on things.

Stick to the facts and those in the wrong will I'm sure be held to account.

If, as it sounds, that was Spennymoor and their lack of planning and attention towards health and safety then I'd expect that to come out in the wash regardless of what spin anyone puts on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:So why is it ok for Spennymoor to put their spin on things & we can't? Hopefully the club are just preparing a statement, to put the true picture of what happened yesterday.

If, as it sounds, that was Spennymoor and their lack of planning and attention towards health and safety then I'd expect that to come out in the wash regardless of what spin anyone puts on it.

Correct, Spyman.

In the age of social media, many forget that sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Beano wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:55 pm
Spyman wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Correct, Spyman.

In the age of social media, many forget that sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.
Someone should tell polarbear.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:16 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 pm
...or lack of it to be precise. I honestly hope we as fans aren't being thrown under the bus so as not to upset Brad and Spennymoor Town.
After all its not us that reduced the allocated space for away fans and only announced it the day before the game. Its not us that only allocated one turnstile for adults. It wasn't us that moved the segregation tape to allow fans to stand on a terrace that wasn't adequately fitted with crush barriers. It wasn't us that pushed fans back with nowhere to go that caused a crush that made the fence collapse.

Come on DFC, do the right thing.
And it wasn’t us that allowed fans to stock up from the beer tent and drink throughout the game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

Spennymoor should be grateful to David Johnston for getting out onto the pitch ahead of the police & stewards to try & sort out the mess created by Spennymoor Town and their inability to provide a safe environment in which to stage a football game. Can't think of many other chairmen who would be concerned enough to put himself in jeopardy for the sake of fulfilling the fixture & avoiding much greater trouble with hooligan elements looking for any excuse to start trouble.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:04 am

Was it wise for DJ to become involved ?

Whilst his efforts were appreciated and valuable it was essentially a Spennymoor problem and for them to resolve.

They employ a Safety Officer who they believe is qualified and competent (given the on the day actions the second might be questionable)

As i understand it the DFC Safety Officer has requested that Spennymoor Town report the event as a Dangerous Occurence to the HSE as per the RIDDOR Regs 2013

Without going into all of the debate and potential failings, we as members of the public and as a club have a right to know what if anything has happened as a consequence of that report into the events of 01.01.20.

For transparency i hope DFC & Spennymoor Town place as much information as allowable into the public domain sooner rather than later.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:12 pm

There are very good reasons for the silence from DFC board ,until all the evidence has been collated and looked at with a clear mind and what actually happened is seen, then they will put out a statement if one is needed, Don't prejudge the situation, I have total faith that the DARLINGTON FC board will do whatever it has to in correct way. Have trust in the board.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:50 pm

onewayup wrote:There are very good reasons for the silence from DFC board ,until all the evidence has been collated and looked at with a clear mind and what actually happened is seen, then they will put out a statement if one is needed, Don't prejudge the situation, I have total faith that the DARLINGTON FC board will do whatever it has to in correct way. Have trust in the board.
Can't disagree with that - the club would seem to be handling this professionally and letting things play out properly through the authorities rather than releasing unprofessional statements via social media that apportion blame without any substance.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC