York

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Well I never expected us to get anything today, so to say I'm pleased would be an understatement.

If we can beat York and beat Chester, then we can beat Spennymoor.

Really pleased to see Campbell get a goal as well.
Knowing us, we’ll beat Spennymoor then lose at Blyth.

I don’t think after the Leamington result anyone would have predicted wins v Chester and York, and for us to get a good result at Solihull Moors too.

What really impressed me though was some of the football we played today, particularly in the first half. Utterly outstanding.

And really significant for Campbell to get that goal. Should give him a major confidence boost. Thommo badly needs his though as it’s clearly on his mind. Came so close too.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Terrific result and performance today. 11 men of the match a real team effort.
Two gripes about York
1 Half witted stewards at the turnstiles
confiscating youngsters flags for not having a fire retardant sticker.
2 Gutted no singalong to Sweet Caroline
Merry Christmas

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Chicken leg chicken wing it’s a Darlington win

Chicken leg chicken wing York city are shite

Chicken leg chicken wing Adam Campbell is king

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Must be the B side

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Brilliant!

What a strike from Campbell and Tommo did a good job nullifying the Ferguson threat. Feel a bit for Omar after his recent performances but the schedule is hectic and he’ll get his chance.

Just brilliant !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:01 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:29 pm
Surprised to see Donawa and Holness dropped after recent performances. Let’s hope AA knows best!
Wasn't massively surprised but it did seem a gamble bringing Reid straight in for Omar, however it worked massively. Was fantastic having someone who won headers and held up the ball brillinatly, he tired but then so did most of them.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I fully expected us to win today. What a fantastic team performance, I just wish our goal had been scored at our end!!!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:17 pm

That was a great display of pass-and-move football, particularly in the first half when York were completely outplayed and very lucky to be still in the game at half-time. I don't think they knew what had hit them in that first 45 minutes. They were much more direct in the second half with frequent use of the long ball but we stayed strong against a full-time side battling for the title and we deserved the win. Some superb performances throughout the side and good to see Elliott so cool, calm and collected when it mattered because it can't have been easy for him recently. Great day, great performance, great support and a superb way for us to say farewell to the old stadium that hasn't always been the happiest of hunting grounds for us.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:14 pm
I fully expected us to win today. What a fantastic team performance, I just wish our goal had been scored at our end!!!
So that’s why earlier in this thread you said”not going there with any confidence “.
Arsehole.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:23 pm

I did feel confident this morning & predicted a win on the prediction league.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:33 pm
I fancy us for this one. Current form isn't that far apart and I'd say we're better going forward.
:lol:

It would be beneficial if the "F" column in the League Table backed up your claim. I'd suggest sticking to facts, rather than fantasy.
Fantasy football is always better. I was including cup form in my bold - and correct - prediction. Our last three performances against strong teams tells its own story. As for York - George Hudson, Joseph Rowntree your boys took a hell of a beating. :thumbup:
Like your comedy style, although someone may have to explain it to the young uns👍🙌

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
You do talk some absolute s***.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:20 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:01 pm
darlobaz791 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:29 pm
Surprised to see Donawa and Holness dropped after recent performances. Let’s hope AA knows best!
Wasn't massively surprised but it did seem a gamble bringing Reid straight in for Omar, however it worked massively. Was fantastic having someone who won headers and held up the ball brillinatly, he tired but then so did most of them.
AA has missed the luxury of choice with the squad so depleted. One thing for sure, York would not have been ready & set up to play that team. Bold gamble by AA, rewarded by a great performance from the lads. Nice to be able to rotate players & well done to all those who stepped up. Enjoy Christmas then serve up same grade of football against Spenny.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 pm

In defence of Darlo Pete, I was actually confident leading into this game. We beat 3rd place Chester, should have won at Solihull, signed Sean Reid, and they're on a poor run. I thought we'd get a draw today at the very least.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:23 pm

My god did those lads put a shift in today, the best 45 minutes for a long, long time, the one touch football is how you tear apart 3 big centre backs who are not the quickest and 3-0 at HT would have been a fairer reflection on the game.Second half saw a different side to us as York threw everything at us which we all expected, the shear graft and endeavour tells you everything about what AA has brought to the club and the type of player he likes.Can honestly say every single player in a black and white shirt put in a performance albeit against a full time team and matched them for fitness.
That result today has comes made Xmas that much better, what a boost for AA on the back of 2 games against Walsall, Solihull, Chester and now York.Now for Boxing Day and The Pride from up the road, could easily get over 2000 excluding the 150 from Spenny and if we can get the 3 points will certainly send a message to the rest of the league.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I just wish our goal had been scored at our end!!!
I was stuffing my hands into my pockets in the York end today (which worked out pretty well as it turned out :D) and was lucky enough to be more or less bang in line with the path of Campbell's strike. To be honest, I thought it was going over to start off with, but then it dipped right into the postage stamp - what a finish. It's not often you get contenders for goal of the season and miss of the season within about five minutes of each other!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:44 am

Proud of my club tonight.

Fan funded versus whatever else... love it

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:50 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 pm
In defence of Darlo Pete, I was actually confident leading into this game. We beat 3rd place Chester, should have won at Solihull, signed Sean Reid, and they're on a poor run. I thought we'd get a draw today at the very least.
Sorry Vic, you've lost me. All those things happened before Pete said "not going there with any confidence".

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 am

biccynana wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:50 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 pm
Sorry Vic, you've lost me. All those things happened before Pete said "not going there with any confidence".
All I saw was that Darlo Pete said he expected us to win, which I agreed with. If he said somewhere else that he had no confidence, then that is a strange contradiction and statement, given the evidence of the last 2 weeks prior to York.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:29 am

The cracks are really opening up at York now with Watson having a pop at the fans saying: "I've not heard many teams booed off at half-time when they're second in the table, but people are entitled to their opinions."

Their budget must be around three times the size of ours (or maybe even more than that) and they must have been wondering what was going on in that first half.

AA is showing what can be achieved with a limited budget if you get the basics right with organisation, an effective gameplan, team spirit and desire. With a bit more consistency we could yet mount a challenge for the play-offs. The club has already made major progress this season.

Darlogramps

York

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:43 am

LoidLucan wrote:
AA is showing what can be achieved with a limited budget if you get the basics right with organisation, an effective gameplan, team spirit and desire. With a bit more consistency we could yet mount a challenge for the play-offs. The club has already made major progress this season.
Maybe it was the pre-Christmas sherry, but I did look at the table last night and think we’re far from out of the play-off picture.

Seven points behind with a game in hand, so we’re in touch. With Martin and Reid coming in, they should help address our big weakness since O’Neill left, the lack of presence up front.

We’ve got a long way to go and of course we can’t get too excited after just one game. There are also full time sides ahead of us, and teams with plenty of games in hand like Boston and Gateshead. And as you say, consistency is critical if we’re to get anywhere near the top seven. As much as we were great yesterday, we were also poor at Leamington so consistency is key.

But if we can play like we did yesterday more regularly, we’d undoubtedly be contenders. The great thing is, there’s no pressure on us either. Fans aren’t expecting a play-off push so the squad can play with freedom. Barring a collapse in form, relegation shouldn’t be a concern so it’d be great to give it a go.

Either way, it’s incredibly encouraging to see the progress we’ve made.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:43 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Maybe it was the pre-Christmas sherry, but I did look at the table last night and think we’re far from out of the play-off picture.

Seven points behind with a game in hand, so we’re in touch. With Martin and Reid coming in, they should help address our big weakness since O’Neill left, the lack of presence up front.

We’ve got a long way to go and of course we can’t get too excited after just one game. There are also full time sides ahead of us, and teams with plenty of games in hand like Boston and Gateshead. And as you say, consistency is critical if we’re to get anywhere near the top seven. As much as we were great yesterday, we were also poor at Leamington so consistency is key.

But if we can play like we did yesterday more regularly, we’d undoubtedly be contenders. The great thing is, there’s no pressure on us either. Fans aren’t expecting a play-off push so the squad can play with freedom. Barring a collapse in form, relegation shouldn’t be a concern so it’d be great to give it a go.

Either way, it’s incredibly encouraging to see the progress we’ve made.
Must be a Christmas Miracle because I entirely agree with all the above.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Has any videos surfaced of that winning goal yet, didn't get the best of view yesterday?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Yes they have and it's already a contender for Goal of the Season. Fantastic, unstoppable shot into the top corner. Campbell won't want to see the replay of Tait stopping his tap-in on the line but thankfully his goal won us the match.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:31 pm
Yes they have and it's already a contender for Goal of the Season. Fantastic, unstoppable shot into the top corner. Campbell won't want to see the replay of Tait stopping his tap-in on the line but thankfully his goal won us the match.
Don’t be a tease let poppyfield know where to find them, after all it’s Christmas 😀

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Not sure I should be directing people to the Vanarama site for highlights :shh:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Not sure we have any highlights this week as I'm sure I saw Kev Luff in the Darlo fans.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:19 pm
Not sure I should be directing people to the Vanarama site for highlights :shh:
Cheers LoidLucan watched it now, brilliant goal. One thing though it makes you realise just how good Kevin's Highlights are until you watch another clubs efforts.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm

I can't think of many better performances in my time than the first 45 mins yesterday - superb all over the pitch. We made an expensively put together title chasing team look silly on their own patch. We should have put 4 or 5 past the best defence in the league. Reid added that thing we've been missing since O'Neill went back, namely someone for the other attackers to play off, and he also looked good on the ball and worked hard. Looks a good signing. With Martin coming in soon too, we've suddenly got the look of potentially a very decent attack. A word for Chris Elliot too, who had his best game for us that I've seen.

If we can find some consistency - as Armstrong mentioned we need to play as well against some of the less 'glamorous' names in the league as we do against the likes of Chester and York - I wouldn't rule us out of challenging for 7th place. Whatever happens though, we are definitely heading in the right direction under Armstrong :thumbup:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:52 pm

What a huge amount of A Grade moaning is to be found on the Yorkpress website.

These York fans really are dour...

"FromTheFuture21st December 6:39 pm
"Watson's apparent belief that he and the team should be beyond reproach, even as we plummet in the form table with a plummet down the actual table imminent too. I'm losing faith in him."

"Crescent - Sam21st December 6:43 pm
I didn't hang around long enough to hear the booing at the end, I couldn't wait to get out. It's time for the Manager to put his cards on the table and admit, we don't look like promotion candidates (and probably haven't done so all season)."

Seanolad6 hrs ago
"It's reaching the point where I'm having to start considering whether I am prepared to continue to use my hard earn wages to help pay for the salaries of some of these players. As "professional footballers" some of these players are literally stealing a wage a tier 6, getting turned over, outfought and out played by people who play football as a hobby. Watson needs to get it sorted or ship out."

And these are just the tip of the iceberg. Basically they are wanting to beat every team and especially every part time team, as part time teams really get their goat. Let's not forget, York are a team sitting 2nd in the league and only beaten twice all season!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!