Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 am

Ed I'd be interested to know if you think the Sky coverage overall is good or bad for Rugby League? Me personally I think it is good for Rugby League, as it raises the profile of Rugby League as a national sport. It allows me to watch my side from a distance, as I don't have the time or money to regularly watch my side Wigan. I think they do cover games really well, but there coverage is biased towards the biggest sides. I also realise that they can change there televised games at short notice, which also happens in football. Do you know how much Sky put into Rugby League for their TV deal?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 am
Ed I'd be interested to know if you think the Sky coverage overall is good or bad for Rugby League? Me personally I think it is good for Rugby League, as it raises the profile of Rugby League as a national sport. It allows me to watch my side from a distance, as I don't have the time or money to regularly watch my side Wigan. I think they do cover games really well, but there coverage is biased towards the biggest sides. I also realise that they can change there televised games at short notice, which also happens in football. Do you know how much Sky put into Rugby League for their TV deal?
What a loaded question.

Sky money was £995,000 per season to be split between the clubs with a match day TV appearance fee of £37.500 to each club.

I suppose the money is useful to fill the pockets of mediocre Australian players etc who are not good enough for the NRL. Is it good for the game? Not 1 jot it is not. I am not knocking people watching TV if they can't travel, but Sky have now put me in that group because of the number of night matches. It is a different situation than football for a number of reasons, starting with the medical aspect of the recovery period. This means that even if not on TV a sides game day can be changed to a night match because of the 5 day rule if the next side they play are on TV that week.
Second, The Prem has 20 clubs, the SL has 12,(11 when you discount Cats because of their own TV deals and down to 10 with Toronto going the same way). which means that clubs are on TV more because of that.
As they are having all 9 games played on New years day in the prem, there is no reason why they should not do the same with RL.
I know some clubs, (Hull being 1 and Warrington another), like home games on a Friday night. That is not so bad, but remembering the game prides itself on being family orientated, to ask people to take young kids the length of the M62 on a Thursday night is nonsensical. If we go to Wigan or Saints for a night match it is after 1am at best before people get home. Kids then getting up for school is not a good idea. While some will say don't take young kids, if you go to Cas in particular, pre game on the pitches outside the ground they have about 300-400 young kids all playing the game in mini leagues before going in for the match. We at KR regularly have a number of the cities junior clubs playing mini rugby pre match and at half time on the hallowed turf of CP. That is before you think about junior cheerleaders, mascots and all the rest.
They manage to fill up the screens all weekend with Union. There are far more top flight union clubs than league when you take in the Irish and European games. Let them take the strain or at least a part of it.
I get they want "live" sport on Thursday nights. I pay my bills and I do as well, but think how many complaints you hear from football clubs because the Europa league is on Thursday night, how it hinders clubs because of having to play at the weekend, because they have not time to recover etc. Football can not be compared with rugby league which is the most physical game there is by far.
I was talking on a group just this week about a film I watch regularly. "This sporting Earth" Richard Harris plays a rugby player for Wakefield in the early 60's. A brilliant film that shows what the game is all about, and that is NOT puffs of fire and smoke as the players come onto the pitch.
Do you remember when you were a kid? Uncle Eddie Warring on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon for the second half of a rugby league game live.
"Er er up and under to Uddersfield". ..... Oh what a smack in the chops. Go on there lad". " ...... "The handbags are out and the claret is flowing. Go on Billy lad give him 1 for me"

Ah, those were the days !!!!!!!

Think you can work out which side of this debate I am on.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Wow that's some post Ted, I don't know how the Superleague will change over the next 5 years, but I'm sure it will be pretty different from how things are now. Sadly not all progress is for the best, but hopefully they will address some of the issues you have raised.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 pm

We'll see how Great Britain do against the might of Papua New Guinea. If we lose yet again then the head coach should fall on his sword & resign.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:01 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 pm
We'll see how Great Britain do against the might of Papua New Guinea. If we lose yet again then the head coach should fall on his sword & resign.
He is out of contract soon anyway and it is already known it will not be renewed.
Lots of gripes and "good riddance" on rugby forums.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 am

It'll be interesting to see who they will replace him with.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 am
It'll be interesting to see who they will replace him with.
Apparently Sinfield is in the running along with your mate Wane. Neither for me.
Sinfield was woeful at club level with Leeds last year and I will never forget the nasty manner of Wane to a young kid at Batley 2 years ago.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Sinfield has had no success at coaching, so he no doubt will get the job. Wane would be a good shout, as he's had lots of success at club level & he seems well liked by all the players.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Sinfield has had no success at coaching, so he no doubt will get the job. Wane would be a good shout, as he's had lots of success at club level & he seems well liked by all the players.
When KR were in the championship the other year I went to Batley for our game. Had no idea it was a double header with an Army v Air Force game before it. My son in law and I were given a look round the ground because we were there so early as we were most grounds that season then we went to our seats to watch the forses match.
Wane, his Mrs and 2 kids and about 3 blokes with clip boards doing some writing during the game were 2 rows in front of us.
They were not staying for our game and as they rose to leave at the end of the game some bloke from the pitch spoke to him for about 5 minutes. A young lad of about 12 stood quietly and politely far enough away and waited until he had finished talking then he stepped forward and said very politely Mr Wane, could I have your autograph please" "No" was the only response, and he actually pushed the poor kid away. Disgusting. Certainly not the way I would want an England or GB manager acting.
I know you like him for his time at Wigan, but to my mind RL prides itself on being family. (You have heard me say that often enough), and we need to encourage kids as much as possible. I have never seen ANYONE, player, coach or manager, EVER refuse a request for an autograph before in over 60 years of going to matches. (At KR matches the players even sign autographs and have photo's taken during the warm up before games.

As a ps, spoke to a hotel in Hull the other day about my problems and they have agreed to do me a deal where I pay to stay for the night for 2 games and they will give me the 3rd free. Pay 4 and 5 and 6 is free etc so I have been able to tell the club I will retain my membership. When I spoke to the club they have agreed to mention the hotel in the program each free night I get so free advertising for the hotel. Everyone's a winner. Nice place as well right in the city centre.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/campan ... #hotelTmpl

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 pm

That's good news about the accommodation. really pleased you can take up your membership, rather than letting it lapse. Waney may of been having a bad day, I wouldn't let one incident cloud your opinion of one of the best coaches we have had.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 pm
That's good news about the accommodation. really pleased you can take up your membership, rather than letting it lapse. Waney may of been having a bad day, I wouldn't let one incident cloud your opinion of one of the best coaches we have had.
Never liked him. He is the Wenger of RL. Never saw it when a Wigan player does anything wrong but always complains when they don't get every decision.
Not sure about him being such a good coach either. He always had the biggest budget and a number of breaches of cap along with that. Means they can always buy the best.
I would like to see someone like Chester at Wakey get the gig. Plays good rugby and can spot a good player from lower down.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of Waney, it'll all come out in the wash.

Thought Great Britain were shocking today, beaten by a second rate nation. To say we looked tired is ridiculous, as we only played 4 times in 4 weeks, hardly a taxing schedule. Wayne Bennett needs to fall on his sword & do the honourable thing & resign, before h is shown his sword.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Waste of time a GB team, performances were very poor, some players should not have been there, playing guys out of position was shocking would expect Tigers to beat that PNG side

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:50 pm

robsraiders wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 pm
Waste of time a GB team, performances were very poor, some players should not have been there, playing guys out of position was shocking would expect Tigers to beat that PNG side
Totally agree Rob it was embarrassing to say the least. Though PNG beat us all over the park & it shows what levels we have dropped too, when PNG had a player that pays for Doncaster in League one.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 am

Good move by Rugby League to shorten the game even more, see the link below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50543316

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 am
Good move by Rugby League to shorten the game even more, see the link below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50543316
Yep, we all know teams use it to get a breather or to slow things down when they are under the cosh. 5 seconds does not seem a lot, but it has reduced the start to finish times last season so we can expect another saving. Having shortened things by over 5 minutes last year I reckon we will gain another minute.
Yet again, football could do with looking at the area's they lose time on and follow suite. Throw in's, corners. Easy enough to employ the clock at both.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Looking forward to the Superleague starting next month, lots of clubs have been splashing the cash, especially Toronto, who have signed McDermott their coach to a new 5 year contract.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:14 pm
Looking forward to the Superleague starting next month, lots of clubs have been splashing the cash, especially Toronto, who have signed McDermott their coach to a new 5 year contract.
Clubs are still making signings and sorting out player numbers. KR's made very interesting reading as we have signed 21 new players having released 18.

Not prepared to put my head on the block for SL yet, but think that anyone finishing above Featherstone will win the Championship and not looking past Newcastle for league 1.

Noticed a story about Sam Tonkins today. He went from France to Spain and the police searched his car. When he got to the next toll rd he found out they had pinched all his bank cards. Both English and French !!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Do you not think that London will be the side to beat in the Championship next year. Bringing in so many new players into a squad is a massive risk that they'll all come together to make a cohesive force. I think it's always better if you have the nucleus of a squad & then make a few additions to strengthen the squad.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm
Do you not think that London will be the side to beat in the Championship next year. Bringing in so many new players into a squad is a massive risk that they'll all come together to make a cohesive force. I think it's always better if you have the nucleus of a squad & then make a few additions to strengthen the squad.
London have lost their spine. They will be there or thereabouts, but not top dogs for me.

I totally agree about signing a lot of players, but the truth is we needed a good clear out.
I have said it before and I say it again, people do not realise how bad those bloody middle 8's were, and as the only side in them all 4 seasons we suffered most. Because of them, 4 years on the trot we were 3 months late starting to recruit players compared to the other SL clubs, thus we signed (more or less), those not wanted by other SL clubs. We had to take risks on injury prone players and those who were after a last payday who's legs had gone etc.
Our average age has dropped in 1 winters signings from 31 years old to 25. We have signed some very good players, and some who are looking for a chance in SL for the first time.
I would be interested in what Rob thinks of Jamie Ellis as an example. He played for us in the promotion season and equaled the world record penalty kicks.(Missed a sitter to break it). He was paired with Jordan Abdul who was on loan from the Dullers and they played well together. Dull wanted stupid money from us, but gave him away to London free. Abdul was by far London's best player last season and they were desperate to keep him, but we knew all season he only went there as a way out of Hull and to get to KR.
I firmly believe the pairing deserve a chance in SL. ..... Then add to that they will be coached daily by Danny Maguire, as will young Lewis. Anyone who does not learn from DM is a fool. I doubt any real rugby league fan anywhere in the country would not agree with that. He has broken just about every record he could aim at in the game.
The big thing is that we have actually kept a decent core of players. We can field a side left from last season, and if fit, they would not struggle.
Everyone is upset to have lost personal favourites, but I always say I follow the shirt and the badge not any player.
Biggest problem, ... yet again, injuries. We have 5 who are at some point of recovery after postseason operations and we have already lost 2 for a minimum of 10 weeks in pre season training.

If we get through this season not worried about relegation until the last day then next winter we will have a better, more level playing field to pick new players.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I think that's the big difference between the top sides & the rest, is that a lot of SL sides have a strong 13, but the big clubs have ready made replacements, whereas the other SL don't have ready made replacements & so consequently tend to struggle. Rob's side Castleford very much struggled with injuries to some of their top players.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 pm
I think that's the big difference between the top sides & the rest, is that a lot of SL sides have a strong 13, but the big clubs have ready made replacements, whereas the other SL don't have ready made replacements & so consequently tend to struggle. Rob's side Castleford very much struggled with injuries to some of their top players.
You know Pete, twice in my life KR have been top dogs in the game. Once for a couple of seasons then the second time with Dullers pushing us for 3-4 seasons, and oh the rugby was good to watch.
Sadly we hit financial problems and went backwards a long way, compounded when we were outright robbed of a place in the newly formed SL.
It took us 10 years to get into it, and the financial difference between the SL and Championship were staggering. Still are, (thus the game is called the million £ game).
Many people inside the game want to go back to a closed shop for SL. That would make life a lot easier for the SL teams, but it has been dreadful for the game below the top level. You look in league 1 and there are sides we used to watch on TV in the 50's and 60's with grounds that have not been painted since then etc.
I firmly believe that any side coming up should be told you will not be relegated the first year, (as happened with Catalans), so they can go out and get players from day 1 on a 2 year contract instead of scraping around the lower end players and doing 1 year deals all the time. (Remember, I say that and it would have cost KR their place in SL this season).
Somehow we need to level the game up again or clubs like KR will always struggle and the likes of Cass will struggle to break from 7-8th to the top 6 on a regular basis.
I do NOT mean Wigan should help KR financially or anything like it, but I used to go to places like Keithley, Batley etc and it was the same as going to Wigan and Saints. The pot needs to be shared out more evenly. Sadly the Turkeys will never vote for Christmas so the game will continue to decline.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:18 am

Wonder what's happened to the traditional pre-season Boxing Day fixtures? I noted that Wigan's first pre-season friendly is on the 17-1-00, only 2 weeks before the first superleague fixture.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:12 pm

I am at Leeds v Wakey on Boxing day then Newcastle on the 11th before KR's first on the 12th.
here is the full list.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/20 ... -fixtures/

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:18 pm

New season shirts, season pass's etc all arrived in the post today.
Our first preseason game is a week Sunday.
Starting to get edgy to see if we as a club have got it right getting rid of the old heads and going for youth or is everyone else correct and we are relegated already before a ball is kicked and a punch thrown.

My predictions for the season

Saints to win LLS and GF.
Wigan to win the cup.
Warry beaten finalists in both comp's.
Huddersfield to be relegated.
Featherstone or Leigh to win the Championship
Oldham relegated
League 1.
Newcastle to win at a canter.
Hunslet relegated.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Hard to believe that the SL starts in under 4 weeks, it only seems like yesterday when we had the GF.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 pm
Hard to believe that the SL starts in under 4 weeks, it only seems like yesterday when we had the GF.
First TV game this weekend. Really happy for JJB that he gets a full house for his testimonial, even if it has been sort of derailed by Rob Burrow's problems.
I am down in Wakey where KR have sold out our allocation but will be taping it to watch when I get home.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:22 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:12 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 pm
First TV game this weekend. Really happy for JJB that he gets a full house for his testimonial, even if it has been sort of derailed by Rob Burrow's problems.
I am down in Wakey where KR have sold out our allocation but will be taping it to watch when I get home.
I can see that the game is being played at 3pm on Sunday, can't find what channel it is on? Liam has been a great servant for Wigan & fully deserves this testimonial.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Interesting that Serbian side Red Star Brigade are planning to join the English Div 1 next year, non doubt they'll be trying to emulate the Toronto Wolfpack's rise to the Superleague this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51067524

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 pm
Interesting that Serbian side Red Star Brigade are planning to join the English Div 1 next year, non doubt they'll be trying to emulate the Toronto Wolfpack's rise to the Superleague this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51067524
Yep, the usual, "They are killing the game" brigade that believe the game belongs to the M62 are out in force.
I am not over keen on SL becoming the league of the world, but if in the long run the Championship becomes the SL and SL becomes international I really do not see that being bad for the game.
What gets me is the " They bring nothing to the game" attitude because Cat's and the Wolfs don't bring many fans to matches. Last time I looked, neither do Wakey, Saints, Wigan and all others on a Thursday night