Darlington V Walsall Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Walsall Match Thread

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:52 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the night and just thought how far we came from our loss to Lancaster a few years ago in the fa cup. Really impressed with the ground and supporters last night put us back in the spotlight. Obviously AA working on a striker but as he says they are asking stupid money and this guy has our interests at heart. Also interesting AA mentions hoping to develop BM

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:53 am

I think last night showed the positives and negatives of where we are as a football club.

The positives are we've clearly got a manager who knows what he's doing. He's built a squad which is very close to being competitive. We have a solid defence which is hard to break down, a midfield trio who have endless energy and can impose themselves on the game, and some skillful attacking players. And we've still got a decent latent fanbase for bigger games.

The negatives are that we are missing that focal point in attack. You can see that when we can hold the ball up front, the likes of Rivers, Hatfield, Campbell and Thompson running onto the ball can cause real trouble. Thompson did an admirable job in trying to be that main striker, and had some joy, but it's not his game playing with his back to goal. Once we can sort that out (maybe Martin in January) I think we will have a very good team. The other negatives are much harder to solve - BM is a real problem once crowds get anywhere near capacity, it's so open the atmosphere just drifts away, we have a minority of idiots in our fanbase, and, while the clock isn't important, it sums up perfectly the amateur nature of our landlords.

If we were paying those stewards at the end (and I think they had the AES logo on their tops, so presumably they were the paid stewards) then the club should ask for their money back, as they were completely ineffectual.

Overall, we can be very pleased with the cup run. The team did themselves proud on the pitch, and we've made some reasonable cash to help those running the club. Hopefully it'll boost crowds a bit in the longer term, and we can build up a bit of momentum in the league.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Only warranted it because we were running low on time to get back in the game...if we had been winning 1-0 it would have been the same but opposite ie "Darlington possibly being optimistic there"

Tbf my oven clock is wrong at home.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Would like to think the clock was symbolic of turning back time to when we had league status and a proper ground to call our own, but even then we never got it right all the time

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I've been arguing that Campbell isn't a centre forward, but people have been telling me he is fine in that role as evidenced by the number of goals he scored. So is the consensus now that Campbell isn't a centre forward?

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm

I thought we were pretty good. Certainly the better team in the first half.

Several non Darlo fan text me to say Thompson was the best player on the park. Hatfield also great and Liddle whose distribution was fantastic. As everyone knows we need a striker. I suspect Campbell would work well in a 4-4-2 with someone to play off but he didn't quite seem to a fit in a front three.

Low point for me was the commentator saying we dream of going back to the Arena. Er whut??

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
I've been arguing that Campbell isn't a centre forward, but people have been telling me he is fine in that role as evidenced by the number of goals he scored. So is the consensus now that Campbell isn't a centre forward?
Campbell worked tirelessly for the team. Didn't get to see him as much as I'd like as an attacking threat, but has done well on the left of 3 attacking players (which against Walsall turned into 5 across the midfield when they had the ball). I'd say that he could play as part of a 2 up front, or like he is now. But I don't think he can the lone striker, if we continue to play 3 like we have been recently.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
I think he can play as part of a 2 or 3, but he can't lead the line. So yeah, i'd agree. He's a forward, but he's not a centre forward.

He needs a goal. Was unlucky with the bounce on that through ball.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:23 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:17 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
I think he can play as part of a 2 or 3, but he can't lead the line. So yeah, i'd agree. He's a forward, but he's not a centre forward.

He needs a goal. Was unlucky with the bounce on that through ball.
I think it depends on the definition. He is a centre forward but he isn't a lone striker or target man.

He was actually a little unfortunately last night, firstly because the commentators were calling him Thompson for most of the first half (so no wonder they thought Thommo was everywhere...he was passing to himself at some points) but also that chance in the second half just took an awkward bounce off the surface and ended up away from his reach (legally...ie with his foot).

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:40 pm

50 years wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 am
Proud of the whole team, everyone put in a shift :clap: .
Liddle was outstanding I thought with some brilliant passes and tackling, but so was Thommo and Hatfield. Laing I think is a good centre half but when he came on looked a little lost as a centre forward, understandably so in an unusual position and little game time lately.

A great game to watch, and the former Poolie manager of Walsall should be phoning Woodgate up and thanking him personnaly for taking O'Neil back a couple of days before the first leg. I believe with O'Neil we would have had a great chance of winning either of those games.

Played the better football over the two games, and the guys need to hold their heads high.

Now on to the Trophy this Saturday, and who knows another trip to Wembley😁
agree very much. great team performance and that includes the superb fans, ultimately i think their full time knowhow and fitness just edged it but quakers could have won last night and maybe a striker like their lad who scored and led his line would have tipped it our way. the carping about thompson seems unfair - i thought he was great; putting himself about with their back line and making things happen. do some people expect too much from him. very proud of them over the two games.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 pm

A number of people from my work watched the game after I was banging on about it all week, they all concluded that Thompson was very good for a little lad upfront.

They also praised Hatfield, maybe it's the different position and that people have seen him playing out wide etc. but the neutral thought Thompson was very good.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Feeling very flat about it. Disappointed with our defeat but not the manner of it. Fine margins and all that. Thought Walsall played it well actually and didn't give us too much of a sniff. We just didn't have that little bit of luck. Still, we will always have Walsall away and having been at Leamington, Tamworth and Walsall there's some great memories there. Just sad it's all over, and like most people probably, wanted it to continue. Now for an FA Trophy run.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Feeling very flat about it. Disappointed with our defeat but not the manner of it. Fine margins and all that. Thought Walsall played it well actually and didn't give us too much of a sniff. We just didn't have that little bit of luck. Still, we will always have Walsall away and having been at Leamington, Tamworth and Walsall there's some great memories there. Just sad it's all over, and like most people probably, wanted it to continue. Now for an FA Trophy run.
Season far from over Adam, as you say let's have a real go in the FA Trophy, with those lads we can go a long way in the competition and providing AA brings his striker in, then no reason why we cannot make the playoffs.
Glass half full for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Across two games we gave them a really tough fight. Had we had a CF waiting in the box for those opportunities we created last night, who knows, the outcome might have been different. Regardless of the result really proud of these players, 5 FA Cup games this season and each one of them a brilliant performance, capped off by Joe Wheatley giving us one of those 'i was there when....' moments. Great to see the club in the national spotlight first with Alun talking brilliantly on the highlights show, then live on BT sport, well done to the volunteers and all who contributed to stage a great game yesterday (won't give airtime to the idiots at the end), too much to be proud and happy about.

On the night thought Thommo, Hatfield and Liddle were exceptional. With very honourable mentions to Rivers and Storey who were also very impressive. Don't think anyone really played badly. Just a lapse in concentration from a Corner has cost us. But that's football.

We can be proud of what we've achieved in the cup this season and if we can take that same intensity into the league and add a CF back into the ranks we could well out-perform expectations and push for that final playoff place. We're one or two players away from being a serious team in terms of the league, but even more encouragingly the Manager knows that, he identified it weeks ago and is trying to change it. A breath of fresh air compared to last season where the manager was incapable of identifying and improving our weaknesses.

So much to be positive about regarding the club at the moment. Onwards and upwards.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Several non Darlo fan text me to say Thompson was the best player on the park. Hatfield also great and Liddle whose distribution was fantastic. As everyone knows we need a striker. I suspect Campbell would work well in a 4-4-2 with someone to play off but he didn't quite seem to a fit in a front three.

Low point for me was the commentator saying we dream of going back to the Arena. Er whut??
Thought you'd be watching.

Was the first time I've seen Darlo since 2012. Hatfield mom for me, then again I'd seen him before so knew he was decent. Impressed by the left back and thought Thompson did ok he looked a decent player but f me he's got serious small man syndrome.

I picked up on the Arena comment also.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Dunno about the general consensus but he's not a centre forward for me. People keep saying "he's got 7 goals already" as if it's a whopping great achievement - but he's played 21 matches. That's 1 in 3 and is borderline OK for a target man in L1/2, but it's not enough for a fox in the box in the tinpot leagues is it? But there's the problem right there, he doesn't get in the box enough does he?

As a wide forward/winger or attacking midfielder he is fine, but we need an actual centre forward like Tyrone is. We don't actually have an out and out forward at the club, not one. Most clubs have 2 or 3.

We are basically getting by with wingers and attacking midfielders, and whilst they will chip in with a goal here and there, you need someone who's job it is to score week in week out. Lots of lovely link up play around the edge of the box but ZERO cutting edge, and that's no surprise without a single number 9 at the club.

God knows where we are going to get one though!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:23 pm
but also that chance in the second half just took an awkward bounce off the surface and ended up away from his reach (legally...ie with his foot).
If the ball had landed at his feet and he was clean through, his arse would have fallen out and he would have shanked it wide or straight at the keeper. Looks like he's got no confidence to me.

He runs around a lot nearly getting on the end of this, nearly getting on the end of that - I don't think that is always bad luck, but that because he is bang out of confidence he times it so he nearly gets there but doesn't.

But hey maybe I'm wrong.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:

The Arena.

Dial A.

DIAL IT.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Talking of strikers, what's Richard Brodie up to these days?

Dial B for Brodie.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Dial B for Brodie.
Michael Bridges was there last night, my cousins ex's dog swears he saw him a training last week while out on walkies and that he's about to sign.

Dial B for Bridges.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:26 pm
lo36789 wrote:
but also that chance in the second half just took an awkward bounce off the surface and ended up away from his reach (legally...ie with his foot).
If the ball had landed at his feet and he was clean through, his arse would have fallen out and he would have shanked it wide or straight at the keeper. Looks like he's got no confidence to me.

He runs around a lot nearly getting on the end of this, nearly getting on the end of that - I don't think that is always bad luck, but that because he is bang out of confidence he times it so he nearly gets there but doesn't.

But hey maybe I'm wrong.
It's a strange one. He certainly looked better with O'Neill playing upfront as part of a three. Meant he was running onto things more as Ty held the ball up. Not quite the same dynamic with thommo filling in at CF. But he's certainly capable, he's scored most kind of goals this season (bar a header) the worldwide from outside the box v Farsley, the tight intricate play and finish into the bottom corner v Southport, a calm penalty (cant remember who against?) And two proper poachers goals following in on the Keeper at Trafford and Gloucester. All that tells me theres a player in there but like you say just needs a bit of confidence and perhaps a proper CF to play off. Outside of that hes good, plenty of work rate and fitness, cool and tidy on the ball plenty of assists this season.

The team need to help a bit more chip in with a few more goals, take the pressure off. Like to see some goals from Hatfield and from our CB's, have we scored from a Corner this season?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:26 pm
lo36789 wrote:

But hey maybe I'm wrong.
We will never know, however we do know that he can place a shot and does have good close range skills. I'm sure he would get on the end of this and that better if he was bigger in size, last night for instance the Walsall defence weren't messing about and he couldn't do much about it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Dial B for Brodie.
Skelmersdale I refereed him about 3 weeks ago haha...well he was on the bench...

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm
StevieMardenboro wrote:

The Arena.

Dial A.

DIAL IT.
Already being dialled in theory.

Chairman of Mowden Rugby Club was at the match last night.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm
StevieMardenboro wrote:

Was the first time I've seen Darlo since 2012. Hatfield mom for me, then again I'd seen him before so knew he was decent. Impressed by the left back and thought Thompson did ok he looked a decent player but f me he's got serious small man syndrome.

Now then mate! Long time no speak . Am still getting to a handful of games a season but watched at home last night. Hope all is good.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

JE93 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:

Dial B for Brodie.
Michael Bridges was there last night, my cousins ex's dog swears he saw him a training last week while out on walkies and that he's about to sign.

Dial B for Bridges.
Apparently Michael Bridges is the odds on favourite, to become new manager at the sheep shaggers. Hopefully he'll see a downturn in their form.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm
StevieMardenboro wrote:

Now then mate! Long time no speak . Am still getting to a handful of games a season but watched at home last night. Hope all is good.
All good mate

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 pm

It'll be interesting to see how many Oxford take to Walsall for the 2nd round match. It's only half the distance most of us had to travel to Walsall.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Probably not that many. Our away game at Walsall was advertised as a one off basically a day trip on the booze across town.

They have away games against Sunderland, Portsmouth and Coventry this season which they will probably make more of a fuss over.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 pm

We took loads to Walsall as it was our biggest game in years, an FA Cup 2nd round tie at League 2 Walsall will be seen as just a run of the mill game for them.

They will be looking forward to the upcoming League Cup Quarter final against Manchester City and they also are in with a genuine chance of promotion to the Championship, so the FA Cup is likely to be at the bottom of Oxfords list of priorities this season.