Brackley V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brackley V Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 pm

"It looked as though they were saving themselves for Wednesday"... AA's not a happy man at all after that first half capitulation.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Hope you are wrong Steve and we are playing Oxford in 2 weeks time

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:48 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:41 pm
At least we sold out prior to this! Won the second half. Just curious-how did Lambert do and what was different after half time? I always thought we'd struggle today after last week's monumental effort and looking ahead to being available for Wednesday. Onwards and upwards.
Brackley took their foot off the gas but still ran at us and cut us open at will. Connell made a couple of decent saves.

New lad was no better or worse than what was already on the pitch. Took a couple of big tackles and hobbled round for half the second half.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Something had to give, and frankly I'm not surprised it happened today. The good thing is I reckon thus squad will learn from it and it will shock any complacency out of them.
I'm actually relieved we kept it to 5-1, I was very worried at half time

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:55 pm

At least we won the second half! I feel sorry for all the fans who paid good money to go down there, not good enough, I expect a big reaction on Wednesday evening or we'll get hammered.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Yeah. We won the second half and Walsall lost

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Traveling back from brackley got to say one of the best teams we've played this season their priority is the league ours remember was always a good cup run heads up everybody.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 pm

In summary the 3-5-2 just didn't work.

Attacking, Hatfield and Wheatley were too deep, basically was just a straight line of those two and the 3 CBs. They were happy to stand off. Then the ball was fired into the forwards, they were sorrounded on their first touch. Rivers tried to get at his man. Watson isn't a LWB he doesnt do attacking well, so he didn't give us the width or attacking requirements to help us impose ourselves on the game. They just waited for us to make a mistake and then they had the ball back.

Defensively, Watson and Rivers were caught too high. They constantly had a free outball to their full backs which relieved all the pressure on them. After that we had 3 CBs on the pitch but never got close to their forwards. They ran through out midfield at will we couldn't live with them. Their forwards running into the channels caused us massive problems. Then on top of all this. We didn't commit to our tackles, we didnt mark and take control of the situation. Must have had 4 or 5 free headers from corners.

Overall, we were sloppy. Players didn't take charge, some pulled out of tackles. Not a good day at the office. Not particularly worried. It was caused by the current situation with injuries and international call ups. We must give a better account of ourselves on the telly on Wednesday. Hopefully with Hedley and Liddle back we will be a different proposition defensively with 4 at the back.

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Can someone please tell me why we did not play a straight 4, 3, 3 ? Every time we have changed this formation we have been overran ie first seven or 8 games of the season. Back to old ways today and by all accounts we were overrun. We just cannot play any other formation effectively.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm

darlosince65 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm
Can someone please tell me why we did not play a straight 4, 3, 3 ? Every time we have changed this formation we have been overran ie first seven or 8 games of the season. Back to old ways today and by all accounts we were overrun. We just cannot play any other formation effectively.
Not sure Alun is on here to be honest.

He did mention it in his post-match interview though and mainly due to injuries I think.

However he did use it at Blyth last year and nearly beat Brackley who managed to equalise late on, so he had a reason it just didn't work today - it happens.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:02 pm

darlosince65 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm
Yep. We were shocking but AA gt it wrong today.

We have looked so much stronger at the back since Storey hooked up with Galbraith so why switch to a three man defence?

Holness in for Hedley and Lambert in midfield for Holness would have been my team.

Still doesn't excuse some woeful defending though.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Laing gets injured and loses his place... we go on a run of 8 games unbeaten.... Laing returns to the starting line up....?

Also, only Blyth and BPA have scored fewer goals than we have.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 pm

We all know we need a goalscorer but obviously Alan has not managed to find the one he want`s so will just have to wait

GBH

Post by GBH » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 pm

4 shots at goal 2 saved 1 towards the end was a brilliant save but no real threat.if you can have man of the match it would be Hatfield he ran his socks off ( again)

GBH

Post by GBH » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:59 pm
GBH wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:54 pm
I would never turn up late...leave early or boo but I’m close to the last 2 .
For those who paid £250 to travel with the team - it will be a fun run back up the A1.
Ouch

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Laing gets injured and loses his place... we go on a run of 8 games unbeaten.... Laing returns to the starting line up....?
Surely that's an incredibly narrow, simplistic and unfair view of today, given all the circumstances like injuries, unavailability, suspension etc.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Surely that's an incredibly narrow, simplistic and unfair view of today, given all the circumstances like injuries, unavailability, suspension etc.
Agree with Lucan here, all the disruptions due to injuries,suspensions and international selections caught up with us today, AA has had to make changes to almost every game this season and this result was always likely to happen.Hopefully both full backs come back in so that is a start to at least make us more solid at the back but a good physical striker would make us a more balanced team, but we know AA is trying all he can to get someone in.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Yes, I'm exaggerating, but Laing causes chaos in the defence regardless of how many injuries we have.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Brackley are very well positioned to take advantage of situations like today as well. They are a big, strong, experienced and very well resourced side, courtesy of their multi-multi millionaire owner, Allan Leighton (Google him), who backs them to the hilt despite their tiny crowds. They not only have a first team squad that has had loads of money chucked at it over the last few years but also have a full reserve team, Brackley Town Saints (complete with manager, assistant and coach), that plays at Step 9 in the pyramid along with an Under-18s team. It's an incredibly well resourced set-up for a village of 13,000 people.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 am

Fair play to him then.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:39 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 pm
Brackley are very well positioned to take advantage of situations like today as well. They are a big, strong, experienced and very well resourced side, courtesy of their multi-multi millionaire owner, Allan Leighton (Google him), who backs them to the hilt despite their tiny crowds. They not only have a first team squad that has had loads of money chucked at it over the last few years but also have a full reserve team, Brackley Town Saints (complete with manager, assistant and coach), that plays at Step 9 in the pyramid along with an Under-18s team. It's an incredibly well resourced set-up for a village of 13,000 people.
Jesus effing wept! Shows what we're up against

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 am

13,000! Half the size of Newton Aycliffe.

The trouble is - what happens when he gets bored/broke or distracted?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:01 am

Smallest UK city is 1,800!!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Nothing new there. Just look 14 miles up the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:04 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 am
13,000! Half the size of Newton Aycliffe.

The trouble is - what happens when he gets bored/broke or distracted?
They will return to their proper level, like North Ferriby did.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 am
Comfortably_numb wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Nothing new there. Just look 14 miles up the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FC Franchise?
Bring Back the Quarters

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 am
Fair play to him then.
You're right, it's their good luck that they have a bankroller whose money they can rely on so they don't end up facing a threadbare situation like we did yesterday. But I do think it helps to keep some perspective around some of the clubs in this league compared to our own situation and resources.

We can certainly hold our own but in certain circumstances we may well have our backs against the wall. Having said that, our cup exertions and the big game looming on Wednesday have clearly played a part in what happened at Brackley and AA felt we should have done better.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:59 pm
GBH wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:54 pm
I would never turn up late...leave early or boo but I’m close to the last 2 .
For those who paid £250 to travel with the team - it will be a fun run back up the A1.
<applause>
Bring Back the Quarters

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 am

I wasn't going to but, I just watched the highlights , my advice is don't , it will destroy any hope you might have for Wednesday.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am

poppyfield wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 am
I wasn't going to but, I just watched the highlights , my advice is don't , it will destroy any hope you might have for Wednesday.
Thanks for the warning, but a bit late for me.
Hot knife through butter in the first half with a lack of tackles upfield & letting them run at pace down to our box, then took every chance they were given, as we didn't take ours. AA rang the changes & we looked better but they had lost their goal appetite by then.
Walsall will be licking their lips if we can't find the spirit we showed at their place.