Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by poppyfield » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:38 am

Thought this game deserves its own thread.
So what do we think , do we have a chance of getting anything from this game? The short answer is yes, as we know anything can happen in the FA cup.
The head says we have a chance be it a slim one , there is a lot of talk of Walsall been in crisis, yes they are loosing games and its not happy club to be around if you are a Walsall supporter, but they are still a league 2 club with a team of big strong professional players, I have watched the highlights from there previous 4 games and although loosing they are still playing some good football, so I think that their management will be looking at this game to kick start their season, (or getting their P45s)
Hopefully we can take a good crowd down there, 800 maybe, plenty of noise to make the lads feel at home.
Like most on here really looking forward to the match , "You gotta dream Eddy"
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Re: Walsall V Darlington FA Cup First Round Proper

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 pm

They hold the aces in that they are a Football League side, two levels above us, with full-time professionals and are at home. But their confidence has got to have been dented by their poor run and fan discontent and criticism of individual players and the manager.

And what we have got is a team with spirit, backbone and excellent levels of fitness. We've got a real sense of unity between fans and players. And that should count for a lot with 800 or so urging us on. The pressure is all on the League side and if we can hold it at 0-0 for a long period or sneak a goal it would be a real test of their nerve and mettle in a cup battle.

It feels like a free hit for us as the non-league side whereas for Walsall and their manager those 90 minutes could be make or break. That's real pressure.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:40 pm

I'm think we can get a result down there, Q this isn't a prediction by the way.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:40 pm
I'm think we can get a result down there, Q this isn't a prediction by the way.
Unless game called off, I think we will definitely get a result Pete. A win, defeat, or draw is my bet. :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm feeling a little more confident than I was.

But as LoidLucan points out, they hold all the aces............. "Cupsets" happen though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlocity
Team Supported: Darlington-Man City

Post by darlocity » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Just looking forward to the day out. Hopefully a good following. Remember going to Ayresome Park in 85 thinking as long as I have a good day out. Be great if we get the same result.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Looking forward to going down there for this one, I’m predicting a 1 1 draw.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:27 am

As transparent has it sounds we have to beat them at the first time of asking we're capable of beating them at the first time of asking we must not give a full time club a second bite of the cherry. My mind stretches back to last season Southport allowed Tranmere rovers a late equaliser at prenton park and in the interim before the replay were drawn at home to Tottenham Hotspur in the third round I want this one done and dusted on the day the secret is getting the home support on the Walsall players backs before half time which I believe with the right attitude we're more than capable of doing.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:08 am

The count down 5 days to go 👍

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:06 am

Bookies have us as firm underdogs with 1/3 for home win, 15/4 draw and 17/2 away win (drifting out).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 am

jjljks wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:06 am
Bookies have us as firm underdogs with 1/3 for home win, 15/4 draw and 17/2 away win (drifting out).
Those odds will be purely based on the fact that they are a full time league team & we are a part time non league side. 17/2 is quite decent odds for us.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 am
jjljks wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:06 am
Those odds will be purely based on the fact that they are a full time league team & we are a part time non league side. 17/2 is quite decent odds for us.
Agreed and would like to think the bookies will get hammered. Walsall are in a tailspin and although we did not manage to see off 10-man Hereford, AA will have a reasonably fit & full squad to select from apart from the long-term injuries and possibly no Liam Connell. Add in about 500 DAFTS behind the lads and we could be the upset of the round.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 am

We can absolutely get a result. I can't agree that I don't want a draw though. It's all extra money for the club. Obviously i'd take the win first, but a draw and taking them back to our place would be a great result.

Excited now.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Feeling very positive about this one, we will have a decent following and financially it would be great if we can progress to the next round.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm

I am really looking forward to Saturday but more from a vindication point of view. This is us back on the big stage and taking another step back to where we belong. The result doesn't really matter. What does matter is that we are there. It shows that the idiots and the FA who tired to kill us failed and that the blood, sweat and tears we have put into saving and rebuilding our club was worth it.

It shows that we might have taken a hell of beating but we are still standing, we are still fighting and we haven't given up. This is what we fought for. This is what we sacrificed money we probably didn't have and certainly could have used for better family things have to achieve. This is what all those trips to grounds and towns we have never heard of were about. They might have been fun but they were about getting back and fighting back. We are. This tie shows that.

Everything we have been through since Peugeot day was about getting back to days like this. My only personal wtf moment was when we lost to Team Northumbia on a pitch I used to play on. That hurt but we didn't fold or give in. We did it. Despite all the people trying to stop us from succeeding we did it. We saved the club, We are rebuilding the club, we are back in the town and we are moving the club forward. WE did that.

Hopefully this is the first of many games like this one that prove to people they cant kill us despite how hard they try. Every day like this is an opportunity to stick one right up Raj Singh. Look Raj: You failed. We are still here. Look Mr FA: Relegate us several divisions, make us have a new name and pretend we aren't the same club if you like. You failed. We are still here and we are still ( and always have been) Darlington Football Club.

As is said above Walsall should turn us over easily: They are a full time football league club, 2 leagues higher and playing at home. But you know what? Who cares? They are on a bad run and this is the (TM) Magic of the FA Cup. Upsets can and do happen so lets enjoy the day and see where we end up. We seem to have a real togetherness as club these days with fans and players and management all pulling i the same direction and all committed to what we want to achieve and how we are going to have to do that and we are on a decent run on the pitch. Lets go for it.

Never give in. Never give up.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Hot favourites they may be but you can feel the fear from 160 miles away... :o
https://upthesaddlers.com/t/darlington- ... round/3729

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:42 pm
Hot favourites they may be but you can feel the fear from 160 miles away... :o
https://upthesaddlers.com/t/darlington- ... round/3729
Like the phrase:

‘Basic defensive errors continue to be made because to the outside observer it would appear that players don’t have a real idea as to who should be doing what, and where…’

Sounds familiar from last season - and one of the big improvements under Armstrong

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 pm

I remember well the match at Team Northumbria. It was bloody cold!

For anyone travelling down on Saturday watch out! On a trip South today It took me 4 hours non stop driving to get up to Walsall area, from Bedale, 20 miles south of Darlo.

Around Birmingham area there are diversions, road works and loads of traffic - it’s tricky so allow plenty of time.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 am

The count down 4 days to go 👍

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 am
Still time to do a deal on Liam Connell, & he did not play for South Shields in previous FA cup games so not cuptied👍
Last edited by jjljks on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am
Darlopartisan wrote:
Still time to do a deal on Liam Connell, or did he already play for South Shields in previous FA cup games?
Don’t you think that would have prevented him from playing in the last round??? :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:43 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Still time to do a deal on Liam Connell, or did he already play for South Shields in previous FA cup games?
Connell played in the last 2 rounds of the FA cup so no issue, if we get a deal for him.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am

So what do we think team/tactics, AA usually sticks with same starting 11, obviously there is the Connell/Elliott issue to be sorted or not, and the, 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' mantra.
The only player I would like to see in the starting 11 is Laing, but the problem is you would have to split up the Galbraith/Storey partnership (which is doing really well) or go 3 at the back and 3 5 2, (Holness would have to drop to the bench), the only reason I raise this point is the is the step up class of the opposition and the height of league 2 players.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 am

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 am
jjljks wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
Don’t you think that would have prevented him from playing in the last round??? :roll:
Yep, should have put my mind in gear there!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am

poppyfield wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am
So what do we think team/tactics, AA usually sticks with same starting 11, obviously there is the Connell/Elliott issue to be sorted or not, and the, 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' mantra.
The only player I would like to see in the starting 11 is Laing, but the problem is you would have to split up the Galbraith/Storey partnership (which is doing really well) or go 3 at the back and 3 5 2, (Holness would have to drop to the bench), the only reason I raise this point is the is the step up class of the opposition and the height of league 2 players.
I wouldn't bring 'banana boots' Laing back. We haven't lost a game since he has been out of the team and those costly individual errors our defence were making seem to have dried up as well. Galbraith is a much better player next to Storey. You could make a good case for Thompson starting though,

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Yeah, Thommo in for 'Bob' is the only change I'd maybe make, with Campbell possibly moving inside to the number ten role. I wouldn't go tinkering with the formation.

Are League Two players taller than NLN ones? That sounds a bit made-up to me!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 pm

I can't see Armstrong changing the team in anyway, those players have given him results over the last month or so and I can imagine he would believe they deserve the opportunity to play v Walsall.

The only question is Thompson however that would mean change in team structure as Thompson probably isn't a direct replacement for Holness in terms of defensive duties or swap Thompson for Rivers or Campbell which I just can't see AA doing.

Basically why try to change/fix what is currently working, I am sure Thompson will be brought on around 60 minutes.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am
poppyfield wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am
I wouldn't bring 'banana boots' Laing back. We haven't lost a game since he has been out of the team and those costly individual errors our defence were making seem to have dried up as well. Galbraith is a much better player next to Storey. You could make a good case for Thompson starting though,
I definitely wouldn't drop Holness to the bench for sure. I think the Wheatley, Holness and Hatfield 3 has been a revelation. It's the backbone of the team right now.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 pm
Are League Two players taller than NLN ones? That sounds a bit made-up to me!
It wouldn't surprise me if they were on average to be honest.

I've noticed that when I move between divisions I go from being taller than most (North West Counties) to a lot smaller than most (National League Premier).

When there are small margins between technical skillset physiological advantage (speed, strength and height) tend to give a competitive edge to players.
Last edited by lo36789 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:27 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 pm
I can't see Armstrong changing the team in anyway, those players have given him results over the last month or so and I can imagine he would believe they deserve the opportunity to play v Walsall.

The only question is Thompson however that would mean change in team structure as Thompson probably isn't a direct replacement for Holness in terms of defensive duties or swap Thompson for Rivers or Campbell which I just can't see AA doing.

Basically why try to change/fix what is currently working, I am sure Thompson will be brought on around 60 minutes.
Honestly, i like what i see more from Donowa than Thommo lately. Both are outstanding options for the bench though.