Hereford....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hereford....

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 am
Have a day off... Do u get a kick out of slagging off ex players it's not really needed is it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Especially when Styche has been nothing but complimentary towards Darlo and it's fans during and after his time here?

I just can't believe some of the stuff people are posting about him. 18 in 33 alone should be enough to gain respect, but people are just *inventing* that he *would be* moody, sulky, not try, flounce off and all sorts of different scenarios *if* he were to be a Darlo player now - and this is based on what?

Based on him having a couple of moderate games towards the end and not looking too chuffed, when the entire team was utter pants?

Also I've seen a lot of people since he left, call out his so called *bad attitude* because he is a niggly, moany, aggressive little shithouse on the pitch?

That's exactly what we needed when we couldn't score for toffee and most of the rest of the team was a weak willed bunch of fairies. That nastiness is exactly what I like about him, that and the fact that he's not a half bad striker at this level.

Jesus I hope Styche doesn't read this thread.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:27 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:39 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 am
Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:39 pm
My downer on Styche is he was a big timer in a moderate team I have to salute his goal scoring but he wasn't a team player and should have helped the others more - would we have him back now?
Hmm, let me think about that one.

OK, thought about it.

Yes.
No. Nothing against him but we’re better as a proper team. With players like Styche you have to set up geared towards them and their needs, and all it takes is for them to go off form/go moody/go to Gibraltar/come back with a chip on their shoulder - and team spirit sags. Having Gabbiadini in the team was similar except he usually was brilliant, and worth it.
Completely disagree. Styche worked hard and scored goals. The best formation for him is a 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1 for modern formation fannies) with him as a menacing spearhead. We were geared up to play that at the start of the season and crying out for a talismanic goal scorer - he'd have fitted right in.

Obviously since then we have seen the emergence of O'Neill, and Campbell continuing to improve has also helped.
Styche looked like he was trying to shoplift a wok up his shirt, and as soon as things became less than perfect for him went into a total sulk. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole just now. He liked it here because Wright indulged him, but with our current, much better set up he'd flounce out in no time as he wasn't the centre of attention.
Are you being serious with that rubbish, for God’s sake lay off him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Unbelievable. He gave us goals, attitude and commitment often with little upfront support. Brought in a shed load of money. He would have stayed if we hadn't had to sell and didn't rule out coming back. All in a poor side. Short memories-Behave yourselves.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Finished 0-0. I’d be livid if I was Hereford’s financial backer, all that money wasted on such an average team...

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:19 pm
Finished 0-0. I’d be livid if I was Hereford’s financial backer, all that money wasted on such an average team...
Does that mean we were/are average as Well?

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm
Darlo2807 wrote:
Difference is, we haven’t spent £750k on our team. So considering our budget, no, we aren’t.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Bit like we felt at times last year.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 pm
bga wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm
Darlo2807 wrote:
Difference is, we haven’t spent £750k on our team. So considering our budget, no, we aren’t.
If I was looking for an argument I might say so we failed to beat an average team who played for an hour with 10 men.......

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Despite playing all that time against ten men I don't have any complaints after that. We came so close and must have had 80% of the possession but it just wouldn't go in. You also have to give Hereford credit for a really committed, battling, backs-to-the wall performance. All we needed was a bit more composure at critical moments but six wins and a draw in seven games ain't bad going back into our cup adventure. Plus all looks OK on the injury front. We've got a spirited side with backbone and a fair bit of flair and we've every chance of frightening the life out of them next week.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Why was the goal at the end not given? The whistle went just after the free kick, but why?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:15 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm
Why was the goal at the end not given? The whistle went just after the free kick, but why?
Donawa was stood too close to the wall, need to be 1m away or something like that.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:55 pm
Despite playing all that time against ten men I don't have any complaints after that. We came so close and must have had 80% of the possession but it just wouldn't go in. You also have to give Hereford credit for a really committed, battling, backs-to-the wall performance. All we needed was a bit more composure at critical moments but six wins and a draw in seven games ain't bad going back into our cup adventure. Plus all looks OK on the injury front. We've got a spirited side with backbone and a fair bit of flair and we've every chance of frightening the life out of them next week.
Good game to watch both for our play and their backs to the wall stuff, annoying as it was.
If i'm being critical it was sometimes we dallied on the ball instead of moving it quick and made the wrong choices in key areas too quite often.
Joe Wheatley was outstanding however. Great to see him playing like we know he can.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Not a bad game to watch, very frustrating at times, can’t blame Hereford for their tactics they did well to hang on.
Thought our lads played well, just seem to run out of ideas.
The only thing I think we missed today was the Laing type passes from the back, O’Neill and Campbell were making some great runs Galbraith and Story just weren’t picking them out.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:24 pm

It's a cunning plan, saving our goals for next week. :D :roll:

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Not a bad game to watch, very frustrating at times, can’t blame Hereford for their tactics they did well to hang on.
Thought our lads played well, just seem to run out of ideas.
The only thing I think we missed today was the Laing type passes from the back, O’Neill and Campbell were making some great runs Galbraith and Story just weren’t picking them out.
Galbraith and Storey are becoming a fantastic defensive partnership. Storey gets better and better every game. Positioning and reading of the game are excellent and very comfortable on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Best get a contract sorted soonish before word gets out... although I'm sure this must already be in hand.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Credit Hereford defence for kicking one off the line, blocking & scrambling away chances. Think we could have been more direct at times. Ref did us no favours at all & seemed to be looking to even up the sending off, but should have shown a straight red card when Will Hatfield was bursting through. Hard to pick between Will & Wheatley but Will deserved his MOTM. We looked much more dangerous with Thommo & Donowa on the pitch. Thankfully Styche (& Nicholson when he came on late) never posed a threat. Hope that is not the last we see of Liam Connell.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Good to see/hear Styche getting a decent ovation as he went off after some pantomime stuff during the game.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 am

Not an overly inspiring game yesterday so bring on Walsall which I’m so looking forward to, 8 of us going down on the train.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:44 am

Hereford certainly managed the game with all the tricks to delay and niggle their way to a point. They probably should have had another man sent off and should certainly have had more booked, based on some the cheaper bookings that Darlo players received. So it was easy to see them as the villains of the piece, with a large nod also in the direction of a ref who really tried very hard to be sympathetic to them as the gallant little triers who were forced to play a man down. But, as AA mentioned in his interview, we didn't help ourselves with some inaccurate passing and some over-complicated approach play. There were several times throughout the match that forwards were offering runs with a good chance of a through ball, but the pass never came. O'Neill has a wonderful ability to work his way past a determined defence, but we never gave him enough sight of the ball, and we do miss having Campbell more centrally placed to take advantage of the lose balls in the box. And whilst I thought Rivers had a brilliant game in the first half on Wednesday, his second half performance and most of his play yesterday, saw him going back to overly intricate play that lost sight of the end product and it was no surprise that he was the first player to be subbed in favour of the more direct play of Thommo. The hang-over from having to play during the week began to show in the second half when the play began to get a bit mechanical. Strangely, it was in games such as this that you cry out for a player such as Styche, who might just find that bit of difference that would unlock a stubborn defence.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 am

Good match review en passant. I can echo the points you've raised.

However Styche. I don't think he did one single thing of note yesterday. Yes I know they were a man down and set up for a point but he showed no skilful touches and it didn't appear to me that he even broke into a sweat, unlike most of his team mates who certainly did.

When Nicholson came on at the end and tried that one spectacular shot - it wasn't that far away :o
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:37 pm

He did leave two defender's for dead with a turn in the box in the first half, but fired into side netting. Didn't see a lot of the ball after that.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Not sure this has been pointed out so far, but Hereford was Terry Galbraith's 250th start for the club. Some achievement, that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdgocSKiHU

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 am

biccynana wrote:Not sure this has been pointed out so far, but Hereford was Terry Galbraith's 250th start for the club. Some achievement, that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdgocSKiHU
It was announced at the game for those who were there

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:22 am

I was disappointed coming out of BM, that we couldn't get the win but that in itself speaks volumes about what AA has done in a short space of time, he has got us through a horrendous injury spell, got us to first round of a cup competition, shows knowledge and speaks volumes about finances and does not bully the board for money, I have to say we have struck gold with this local lad and yes we will have a few more rough patches and games but I firmly believe AA & DH can get us thru.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am

Largely my feelings, those. Was a bit gutted on Saturday, as it felt a great chance to leap further up the table... but overall i'm happy with this season.

That result against Bradford PA still rankles with me. You look at a couple of the points dropped here and there, and then look at it, and we'd be in the playoffs. You can do that any season of course, but I do feel this year we deserve to be higher than we are right now. We're playing great football, and the team are fit and put the graft in. It's night and day with last year.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

I think Saturday showed our major weakness as a team - we haven't quite found the right formula for scoring goals. Everything else has come together nicely - we look very solid defensively and the midfield trio are working very well together. However, we are averaging just over 1 goal scored per game - the top sides are generally getting on towards 2 a game. Unlike last season however, I've no doubt that we will continue to improve and Armstrong will get this right - whether its this season or next.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 am

Did I see that Kneeshaw was warming up pre-game? Wouldn't be against that. Another creative option to have.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:28 am

al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am
I think Saturday showed our major weakness as a team - we haven't quite found the right formula for scoring goals. Everything else has come together nicely - we look very solid defensively and the midfield trio are working very well together. However, we are averaging just over 1 goal scored per game - the top sides are generally getting on towards 2 a game. Unlike last season however, I've no doubt that we will continue to improve and Armstrong will get this right - whether its this season or next.
To be fair watching the highlights sometimes it just isn't your day and you come up against teams who put everything on the line to prevent a goal.

We've averaged nearly 2 goals a game in our recent unbeaten run. If you look at us over the season then things are always going to look worse as it's obvious we only really got going in September.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:28 am
al_quaker wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am
To be fair watching the highlights sometimes it just isn't your day and you come up against teams who put everything on the line to prevent a goal.

We've averaged nearly 2 goals a game in our recent unbeaten run. If you look at us over the season then things are always going to look worse as it's obvious we only really got going in September.
Yes it was just one of those days, and yes that's true about goals in our recent run - although that unbeaten run does include 2 games against lower division opposition. Last 6 league games, for which we are 8th in the form table (possibly about right where we are as a team - a chance of getting into the playoffs) we've scored 6 goals. It wasn't a massive critcisim - more of an observation of where our strengths and weaknesses lie as the team is (visibly) evolving