FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: FA Cup draw - Darlo Away to Walsall

Post by spen666 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:54 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:40 pm
Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Are we still entertaining the notion that Blackwell Meadows isn't absolutely rubbish for anything more than our standard league crowd? A big away crowd is always a cracking atmosphere, especially when the home crowd aren't arsed and are easily drowned out. We're not capable of a big home crowd. Our capacity is still probably less than half of what we've been capable of for actual big games in the past. If we got a sell out at home, about a third of people will barely be able to watch the game and as usual the casuals wont want to come back citing the lack of a view if you don't fancy the shed or get against the fence, not to mention the hassle going for a wazz.

Football wise, I'm yet to see any evidence of Blackwell being a fortress. And recently we've found some excellent away form.

Financially, am I right in thinking its a 50/50 cut of the gate? If so, Walsall will be a bit more expensive and the rugby club wont be taking a bite out of our 50%. The fact its a short train ride from Birmingham city centre makes it ideal for a day out/making a weekend of it if people fancy.

Literally the only advantage to a home tie is convenience getting to the game, which you'd have thought given we've finally put a cup run together people wouldn't be all that fussed by!
Gates are split 45/45/10 after matchday expenses (security, away team travel exp, match officials, etc). With 45% going to both clubs and 10% going back to the FA. ....
This is not quite correct .

Until the 3rd round receipts are apparently split 50/50 after match day expenses with nothing to the FA Pool (unless its a replay when 5% goes to FA and clubs get 47.5% each.). On the down side, another deduction from the gate receipts is VAT at 20%, which has to be accounted for to the tax man.

See the article from last season here http://financialfootballnews.com/fa-cup ... -club-get/

Its quite interesting to see the section on travel expenses and what can be claimed by visiting club
Travel
• £3 per coach mile (£6 where overnight stay is required)
•40p per mile for up to 5 cars
•25 cheapest train tickets

Hotels – £100 per person for up to 25 people
Visions of Manchester city rolling up to Chelsea away with players in 5 cars! The mileage rate is also lower than HMRC allow to be paid for expenses

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am

Its the same as match officials expenses...although actually in league games it is 34p per mile but it is the clubs who vote on that.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Don't think anyone has yet mentioned that we have a mid-week fixture beforehand (Kidderminster), whereas Walsall do not. Might help, on that score, to have a Sunday game.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:00 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm
Don't think anyone has yet mentioned that we have a mid-week fixture beforehand (Kidderminster), whereas Walsall do not. Might help, on that score, to have a Sunday game.
No we don’t. First Round is the week after
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Confirmed for Saturday 9th November, 3pm

Admission is £12/£6

Cash turnstiles on the day
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:03 pm

That price seems cheap for a league club wonder what normal price is

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:07 pm

just looked normally £18-£23 in stand big reduction for cup game then

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Sensible that the price is dropped given the likely low level of interest in this tie among the disgruntled home fans. They obviously feared a very small crowd if it was pitched at the normal price. Shame there is no TV coverage but I guess they concentrate largely on the games in which non-league clubs have home advantage, hoping for a bigger chance of an upset and more "romance" at a tight little ground with packed-out terraces.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Sensible that the price is dropped given the likely low level of interest in this tie among the disgruntled home fans. They obviously feared a very small crowd if it was pitched at the normal price. Shame there is no TV coverage but I guess they concentrate largely on the games in which non-league clubs have home advantage, hoping for a bigger chance of an upset and more "romance" at a tight little ground with packed-out terraces.
Well if we get a replay then fingers crossed we will get on the TV..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm

I see that Walsall don't have a midweek game next week, but we are playing on Wednesday, which is going to make it tough against Walsall who are also full-time.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I see that Walsall don't have a midweek game next week, but we are playing on Wednesday, which is going to make it tough against Walsall who are also full-time.
We play Wednesday 30th.... the Walsall game is on 9th Nov.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm
I see that Walsall don't have a midweek game next week, but we are playing on Wednesday, which is going to make it tough against Walsall who are also full-time.
Join my club, Pete, in getting it wrong!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:I see that Walsall don't have a midweek game next week, but we are playing on Wednesday, which is going to make it tough against Walsall who are also full-time.
We play Wednesday 30th.... the Walsall game is on 9th Nov.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Ok well that's good news, I guess it's not the first time that I have been wrong on here & I'm sure it won't be the last. :roll:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Breedon wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Are we still entertaining the notion that Blackwell Meadows isn't absolutely rubbish for anything more than our standard league crowd? A big away crowd is always a cracking atmosphere, especially when the home crowd aren't arsed and are easily drowned out. We're not capable of a big home crowd. Our capacity is still probably less than half of what we've been capable of for actual big games in the past. If we got a sell out at home, about a third of people will barely be able to watch the game and as usual the casuals wont want to come back citing the lack of a view if you don't fancy the shed or get against the fence, not to mention the hassle going for a wazz.

Football wise, I'm yet to see any evidence of Blackwell being a fortress. And recently we've found some excellent away form.

Financially, am I right in thinking its a 50/50 cut of the gate? If so, Walsall will be a bit more expensive and the rugby club wont be taking a bite out of our 50%. The fact its a short train ride from Birmingham city centre makes it ideal for a day out/making a weekend of it if people fancy.

Literally the only advantage to a home tie is convenience getting to the game, which you'd have thought given we've finally put a cup run together people wouldn't be all that fussed by!
Have to agree, I’ve heard that DFC is very near to putting to the fans the option of moving back to Sporting Village or staying at BM. It will be the fans choice or in theory DFCSG members to choose where our future will be. Even in the DFCSG board there are some think it will be the right move and others don’t so likely like Brexit. Hopefully with a clearly laid out financial plan on both options we can then all vote. In my opinion if we happy with NLN then BM is adequate if we won’t promotion the we need to get back to a proper ground but his time DFC will only be a tenant and not saddled with the stadium costs as before.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:52 am

Until work starts on the Sporting Village, I will not worry about moving away from BM. It is taking longer than Brexit😡😱

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Proof that for the fans atleast, the tv games are as much a curse as an excitement. TV games chosen, Carlisle have to go to south london on a friday night and Pompey have to go to harrogate on a monday night. Ridiculous trips for any of their fans wanting to attend.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Aside from the difficulties for the travelling fans (which doesn't come into it for TV bosses), you can see why each of the live games have been chosen. £75,000 for each club is also not a bad return with prize money for the winners and attendance cash on top. So if you're on the box and get through it's £111,000 in the bank, plus a cut of the attendance money. A home draw for us against a League club would have certainly put us in the frame for that.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Aside from the difficulties for the travelling fans (which doesn't come into it for TV bosses), you can see why each of the live games have been chosen. £75,000 for each club is also not a bad return with prize money for the winners and attendance cash on top. So if you're on the box and get through it's £111,000 in the bank, plus a cut of the attendance money. A home draw for us against a League club would have certainly put us in the frame for that.
A good chance if we manage to bring them back to BM the game will be shown live on TV.Could yet happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Now that would be a real bonus on top of the ten grand or so we might earn at Walsall.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

And wouldn't it be great to see those clubs put some of the money towards at least subsidising coaches for the fans?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:07 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm
And wouldn't it be great to see those clubs put some of the money towards at least subsidising coaches for the fans?
Most Darlo fans have bus passes so can go free (if I leave next Tuesday)

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:32 am

I see the Walsall manager has threatened his squad that if thet don't get their fingers out it's the transfer market for the lot of them.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 pm

More likely the sack for the manager than sell players

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:53 pm

That's the last thing we need is their manager getting the sack & then them having a new manager bounce when they play us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 pm
LoidLucan wrote:Aside from the difficulties for the travelling fans (which doesn't come into it for TV bosses), you can see why each of the live games have been chosen. £75,000 for each club is also not a bad return with prize money for the winners and attendance cash on top. So if you're on the box and get through it's £111,000 in the bank, plus a cut of the attendance money. A home draw for us against a League club would have certainly put us in the frame for that.
A good chance if we manage to bring them back to BM the game will be shown live on TV.Could yet happen.

York's game is on TV apparently, that's the third tie in a row in which they've been featured.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 pm

York's game is on TV apparently, that's the third tie in a row in which they've been featured.
Selected for "live single camera footage via the BBC". Hard to see the justification, it's no more or less attractive than a dozen other ties.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:28 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:That's the last thing we need is their manager getting the sack & then them having a new manager bounce when they play us.
It’s a myth Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:22 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:28 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:That's the last thing we need is their manager getting the sack & then them having a new manager bounce when they play us.
It’s a myth Pete.

You mean like Solskjaer ? It's no myth. But after a few games the teams revert to form.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:30 am

banktopp wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:28 am
It’s a myth Pete.

You mean like Solskjaer ? It's no myth. But after a few games the teams revert to form.
One case in anecdotal. Data is evidence. Read it in the book The Numbers Game.

How many football fans realize that only 2% of corners lead to a goal?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:03 pm

What odds on a Darlo win away?