Leamington v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Leamington v Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 am
With our two wins so far, how much prize money have we won?

£18000 so far, next round losers picks just over £6000 so guaranteed £24000

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 am

The next round I would prefer a home draw against lower league opposition and hope we don't come unstuck. We're then into the first round proper where tv rights come into it and the big money comes into play.

Do you then go for a good draw where there is a chance of an upset and the tv is all over it, or keep picking up lower league opposition and take the prize money until the big boys come in

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:10 am

Despite it being the 4th qualifying round there won't be any easy games.. If we reach the 1st round i personally think wed have a shout at being a live game on tv due to our football league history, specially if drawn home to a league club.. I can almost guarantee though a live game will be Sunderland v who ever as lets face it they are the biggest club in round 1

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:17 am

Ipswich are a big club for round one as well

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 am

Bolton, Coventry, Portsmouth all big clubs at Rnd 1....IF we can do it!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 am

Spyman wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:45 pm
Hartlepool surely?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I haven't been since it all exploded but I'd have to come back for that one !

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 am

I think this is the last round where we can probably expect to face lower league opposition.

After this it will be either equivalent level at best.

The only game worth any money to us in this round would be Hartlepool away (but the costs of staging the game would probably balance out the share of takings).

I’d say the lowest placed team possible in this coming round...then a strong League One side in the 1st Round Proper.

Exeter were hardly a big club when their game against Warrington was televised. Lowest placed club at home will trump ‘biggest’ club versus someone else usually.

Once you get first round proper all concepts of playing “lower league opposition” are out the window. We are the minnows at that point.

AFC Wimbledon at home would be a sure fire bet for a televised game for us in first round proper...

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 am

quakerste wrote: Do you then go for a good draw where there is a chance of an upset and the tv is all over it, or keep picking up lower league opposition and take the prize money until the big boys come in
Steady on!

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 am

After a poor start to the season away from home it is very pleasing to see the signs of an improved way of managing a game. Whilst I am sure we would love to see the team boss every game and go for the opposition from the start, the early away games seem to have proved that if you do you can come unstuck in the second period if you haven't made the most of your early momentum. It is interesting to note that when we played York, they didn't start too well as an attacking force but they ended up winning by staying in the game and waiting for their chance in the second half. We seem to be adopting the same plan and suddenly it is paying off. It is a bit worrying to give up a lot of territory to the opposition early doors, but if you can defend your way to near parity at the break, there is a good chance that you can be that bit stronger in the second half. And we are also beginning to see a few more game changers from the bench who can turn the tide late on. Hopefully this can carry on through to our home and league form.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am

quakersfan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 am
Whatever team will give us the biggest financial reward we get 50% of gate money so Pools away would do for me.
don't understand why you would want a bigger club away ie pools, just for half the gate, why not a lower league club at home, and a chance of 18k although theoretically its only £12500 and a 1st round game with a potentially live game.
Second Round Qualifying winners(80) £6,750 Losers receive £2,250
Third Round Qualifying winners (40) £11,250 Losers receive £3,750
Fourth Round Qualifying winners(32) £18,750 Losers receive £6,250
First Round Proper winners (40) £36,000
Second Round Proper winners (20) £54,000
Third Round Proper winners (32) £135,000

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:04 am

Getting way ahead of myself here but did anyone on this board go to Sunderland away in the FA Cup 1st round in 1987?
Was just before my time but I only found out it happened by chance as it rarely gets mentioned in comparison to the Boro FA Cup game (Though I can guess why!)

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am

TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:04 am
Getting way ahead of myself here but did anyone on this board go to Sunderland away in the FA Cup 1st round in 1987?
Was just before my time but I only found out it happened by chance as it rarely gets mentioned in comparison to the Boro FA Cup game (Though I can guess why!)
Yes, I did

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am

Did we take a good following that day? I see Gabbiadini was in the Sunderland team!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 am
I...

Exeter were hardly a big club when their game against Warrington was televised. Lowest placed club at home will trump ‘biggest’ club versus someone else usually.

AFC Wimbledon at home would be a sure fire bet for a televised game for us in first round proper...
Exeter are remembered for holding Man U in FA Cup tie when a non league side & Warrington have recent history in FACup .

Not sure AFC Wimbledon at Darlington would be in slightest bit attractive to TV companies. It may be to Darlington fans, but not to wider TV audience.

Minnows v league club or big club v someone are most likely games on TV

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:15 am

I wouldn't put it past the bbc to show Salford

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:28 am

karlo-cardiff wrote:I wouldn't put it past the bbc to show Salford

And if there’s justification for it, they’d be perfectly within their rights to do so.

If it’s Port Vale v Salford, that wouldn’t get on. But if it was Colne v Salford, I don’t see how anyone could have an issue with that.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:31 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am
TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:04 am
Yes, I did
I got spat on as a 13 year old for having a Darlington scarf. The scummiest fans I have ever come across. Made Poolie look like royalty.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:33 am

I do love how excited and carried away everyone is getting, been a while since we have had the opportunity to get carried away.

Our luck is we will get a crap draw and knocked out next round or we will make the 1st round of the FA Cup and draw Salford, which will be our big game v's a league club :lol: :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:42 am

spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:01 am
I...

Exeter are remembered for holding Man U in FA Cup tie when a non league side & Warrington have recent history in FACup .

Not sure AFC Wimbledon at Darlington would be in slightest bit attractive to TV companies. It may be to Darlington fans, but not to wider TV audience.

Minnows v league club or big club v someone are most likely games on TV
You’re not necessarily incorrect, although you could certainly make a case for Darlington v AFC Wimbledon to be on TV.

For reference, last year’s four 1st round TV games were:
Haringey Borough v AFC Wimbledon (minnows v EFL club, and also a bit of a derby)

Maidenhead v Portsmouth (ex-Premier League club at non-league side)

Port Vale v Sunderland (the Sunderland factor)

Hampton and Richmond v Oldham (upset chance, league club at non-league side)

So your big ex-PL clubs point is spot on. But actually, looking at last year’s games, would Darlington v AFC Wimbledon be any less interesting to audiences than Hampton and Richmond v Oldham? It’s all subjective I guess.

I believe the BBC do still do their Sunday afternoon FA Cup round-the-grounds programme, which Darlington v EFL club would be certain to feature on.

Anyway, we still have one more round to negotiate, but I do enjoy getting carried away. We’ll probably get a stinker of a draw in 4QR - King’s Lynn away or something equally as difficult.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

polam

Post by polam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am
Did we take a good following that day? I see Gabbiadini was in the Sunderland team!
We had half of the terrace at the Fulwell End (or was it the Roker End). Played well enough but the gulf was too big.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:58 pm

polam wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm
TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am
We had half of the terrace at the Fulwell End (or was it the Roker End). Played well enough but the gulf was too big.
It was the Roker End. I'd have said between 2 to 3 thousand?

Kevin Stonehouse missed a good chance at 0 -0. Jeremy Roberts played very well to keep the score down to 2-0.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:15 pm

quakerste wrote:The next round I would prefer a home draw against lower league opposition and hope we don't come unstuck. We're then into the first round proper where tv rights come into it and the big money comes into play.

Do you then go for a good draw where there is a chance of an upset and the tv is all over it, or keep picking up lower league opposition and take the prize money until the big boys come in
You do know how the draw works right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Looking again at that goal by O'Neill, it really was something special. He's technically very good and his close control in and around the box is a real danger to defenders. His skill, balance and accuracy to execute the goal was excellent and in sharp contrast to the Leamington approach of route one and piling in the corners, throw-ins, free-kicks and the keeper's huge punts onto the heads of the big lads.

What's really impressed me about O'Neill during his loan spell so far is his attitude. He has obviously decided to get the most from his time with us and to grasp the opportunity for valuable experience in a completely different world to what he has been used to. We've seen that in the past when we had Boro loanees Matthew Bates and David Wheater with us and they never looked back afterwards after giving it their all.

On Saturday he was getting pushed and pulled by the giants at the back but just dusted himself down and got on with it. They found it really difficult coping with him and, as well as scoring, he was also involved in the build-up to the second goal.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:00 pm
What's really impressed me about O'Neill during his loan spell so far is his attitude. He has obviously decided to get the most from his time with us and to grasp the opportunity for valuable experience in a completely different world to what he has been used to.
Agreed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Not enough has been said about the impact Alex Storey has made, the lad has done brilliantly coming in to the side from the Northern League! Would be great to see him as a replacement to the invisible Jonny Burn going forwards.

polam

Post by polam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Match report from the Daily Mail - starts by claiming we took only 50 fans and carried on in with similar accuracy (Phoenix Club, three consecutive promotions)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -past.html

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Terrible article.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 am

Not even going to give the Mail a click. Trash newspaper. I’m unsurprised, given their dubious relationship with the truth in multiple other areas.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 am

divas wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 pm
Terrible article.
It’s not good but at least it’s something...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 am
Not even going to give the Mail a click. Trash newspaper. I’m unsurprised, given their dubious relationship with the truth in multiple other areas.
Its the 2nd most popular paid for Newspaper in the UK!