Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm

London Bronco's get relegated, congratulations to Wakefield, Huddersfield & Hull KR on staying up.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm
London Bronco's get relegated, congratulations to Wakefield, Huddersfield & Hull KR on staying up.
Glad to be rid of that season. Such a disappointment after so much hope.

Watched the game and yet again we managed to loose despite being ahead with less than a minute to go. This having refused 3 easy drop goal's that would have taken us 7 clear. I simply do not get our refusal to try them. All points count.
Had my phone on watching Wakey v London and I really thought London could do it, but they ran out of steam/idea's every time they reached Wakeys 10 yard line.
Just for fun, I also had Udders game on the radio. (Never done 3 games at the same time before), and at 1 point I really thought my pre season prediction they would go down was going to be correct. Have to give them some credit for coming back from so far behind. With about 15 min's to go their points difference advantage over us had dropped to 2 points.

Puts a smile on my face that Dull miss out on the play off's. Love it when the boasting is not backed up on the pitch !!!!!

Not bothered about the play off's and Grand Final and won't be until they crown the league leaders as Champions and accept this is just a money spinner and to promote the game.
Far more interested in watching the Championship play off's to see who is coming up. Would love to see York scrape in, and my "second string" side, Newcastle, could also still get promoted to the Championship. Good luck to both in overturning the odds.

Our season. ........... We started the season with 5 long term injuries that we knew would miss at least 50% of the season, and the ethos was to cut the squad number down but to sign "better" players, and I still to this day say we did some good work.
Josh Drinkwater. ... It just did not work out, but he played every game. Unfortunately he needs a big pack in front of him and the injuries made that impossible.
Mitch Garbutt has been great when on the pitch, but his Leeds injury hoodoo followed him to CP and we just could not keep him on the grass.
You may remember I gave you a list of our long term injuries about 3 months ago. It never really got any better.
We signed Purcell from Leeds, and he was injured in his first game v Leeds and only came back for the last game having missed 6. Shaun Lunt, who we had been unable to get fit after his life threatening illness last winter Got into the Leeds side 2nd game he was eligible for, and played every game !!!!!
Not only that lot, but 3 players had to pack the game in due to injuries. I can't remember ever losing 3 retired mid season before.

Time for the lads to have their holidays and get bodies healthy, then back for pre season in November.
Expecting a raft of new signings in the next few days. I know a couple we have signed that will make people sit up and take notice, but at this point in time all KR fans are begging Santa for a couple of big bastards to join Mose Mosoe in the pack.
Just PLEASE, not a load of past it Aussies after a last payday. Been there and done that and it just does not work out.
Finally, really looking forward to having the reserve grade side and our own academy instead of sharing with Dull. With the sale of CP from the council to us nearly done and the ground improvements (including 4g training pitch that will be open for the public to use) and a new gym beside it we have plenty to look forward to in the near future and the chance to get back to what the club always was, ie, bringing our own kids through to love the shirt.

Good luck London next year. I saw their fans still singing and bouncing at Wakey in the last few minutes. Hope they come back again.
Last edited by EDJOHNS on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am

Congratulations Ed on staying up, watched the Wakefield v London game on TV, Wakefield were always in control. if as I expect Toronto get promoted, then London should have a great chance of getting promoted back to the Superleague again next year.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am
Congratulations Ed on staying up, watched the Wakefield v London game on TV, Wakefield were always in control. if as I expect Toronto get promoted, then London should have a great chance of getting promoted back to the Superleague again next year.

Heard VERY strong rumours that Toronto will NOT be coming into SL.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:03 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Why on earth is that? They're whole season has been geared up to winning promotion. They have been the class act in the Championship, a I have seen a lot of their games on TV.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:03 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:39 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Why on earth is that? They're whole season has been geared up to winning promotion. They have been the class act in the Championship, a I have seen a lot of their games on TV.
Hearing money issues, much as Cats did not defend the cup having won it because of demands from the RFL.
What I have heard is pretty vague, but very noisy, but it seems that they have been told to put certain financial matters in place which other clubs don't have to, and they are saying it is unfair and not prepared to do it.
I hope they do come up because going over there last year totally changed my mind about what they can bring to the game.
I do NOT agree that they, Catalans. Toulouse etc "don't bring anything to the game" They may not bring many fans to each game, but to my mind, clubs should budget on their own fans not expect another sides fans to boost their income.
When KR were in the Championship in 17 most away games we had 3-4 times as many fans as the home club and they loved the gate money and what they took over the bars, but they had the sense to look on it as an unexpected boost rather than the way Norton and Waste looked on Darlo in the NL.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 am

Toulouse thumped York 44-6 in yesterday's quarter final & they must be considered a serious threat if they meet Toronto in the final.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 am
Toulouse thumped York 44-6 in yesterday's quarter final & they must be considered a serious threat if they meet Toronto in the final.
Well I did say it was a long shot for York, but they will be close again next year. A very good young coach and a well run club.
Anyone who watches the game knows Toulouse will be a big threat Pete. You need to come out of your Wigan world a bit more !!!!
My feeling, 1 trip to France a year is enough. If Toulouse come up KR will have to go over to France 4 yes FOUR times next year unless we increase SL to 14 teams and get rid of the 5 "extra" games. Because they finished 7th and we 11th we already know we go to Perpignan twice. We also go to whoever comes up twice. Expensive trip but i think I prefer 2 trips to Canada as I am not over keen on Toulouse. (Remember, we use these games as a weeks holiday).

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Jesus Christ the season is not even over and the RFL are sticking the boot in for next season.
A few weeks ago while making his KR debut Matt Purcell was thrown round like a rag doll by the collar of his shirt and missed 5 matches because of the injury to his shoulder sustained during the event. Not even a word in dispatches.

Today Matt Purcell gets a 3 match ban for "violent contact" last Friday night. I have asked both KR and Salford fans on my rugby group and not 1 of them can remember anything that warrants this action from the bods upstairs.

I jest you not. They are killing the bloody game

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I see the Catalan Dragons want to have the Magic Weekend in France. I can't see that working unless it was perhaps in Paris.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 pm
I see the Catalan Dragons want to have the Magic Weekend in France. I can't see that working unless it was perhaps in Paris.
Stade Gilbert Brutus holds only 13,000 so that would not be big enough but RC Narbonne holds 12,000 and is only an hours drive away if they want to split it into 2 events.
Then again, the Stadium de Toulouse holds 33,150 and is only a nice 2 hour drive if you want to stick to football stadiums.

The biggest problem they will face is that Hull play match 4,(first on the Sunday), and KR play match 5 so the 2 largest followings are on after each other. You also have the small matter of Leeds at game 4 as well.
We had that at Blackpool in big bash in 17 and it did not work well as they gave Feath and us the same stand and we followed their match.
The stand was not big enough for us, let alone them, and there was a lot of trouble because KR fans coming in sat on seats tht Feath fans had been using but had gone out for a drink.
In case you have not seen it, this is the game list for next years magic.

Day 1
1, Saints v Salford.
2, Wigan v Warry.
3, Cas v Cats.

Day 2

4, Leeds v Dull
5, KR v Wakey.
6, Udders,v promoted side.

Using the historical numbers that travel to France each year Day 1 would all fit into Cats place at a pinch, but day 2 would struggle. If we get the end behind the goal as we normally do that would mean Dull and Leeds sharing the main stand and the others in the South stand. Just don't see it working without trouble.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 am

Why would you play the Magic Weekend in the South of France? I thought the idea was to take it to places where Rugby league is not strong, like Newcastle & Cardiff? Surely playing it in Cardiff which has excellent links with Britain would make more sense, than playing it in the South of France, which is more expensive for the English fans to get too & a logistical nightmare for them as well.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Poor game in the playoffs tonight, as Castleford grind out a win at Warrington. I can't see Wigan or Salford being too concerned at what they say tonight.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 am
Why would you play the Magic Weekend in the South of France? I thought the idea was to take it to places where Rugby league is not strong, like Newcastle & Cardiff? Surely playing it in Cardiff which has excellent links with Britain would make more sense, than playing it in the South of France, which is more expensive for the English fans to get too & a logistical nightmare for them as well.
All I did was wander round your comment and put out the possibilities. Would I want it there? No.If not back at Sid James Grotto I would take it to Vanilla Park for 4-5 seasons

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 am

Not a fan of the play-offs. How is it right that a side can lose a game & yet in theory have a chance of winning the grand final?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 am
Not a fan of the play-offs. How is it right that a side can lose a game & yet in theory have a chance of winning the grand final?
I went abroad for a week rather than go to Villa when we played them so I think my views on that are clear..

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Surprised to see that York got thumped at home by Featherstone & they'll play away at Toronto or Toulouse whoever wins their semi-final this evening, a game I'll be watching with interest on TV at 6-30pm.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm

If Toronto do indeed join SL, if I were you, I would be saving all my spare pennies and get over there for 1 game. It is a totally, totally different experience to a SL game in this country.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:57 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm
If Toronto do indeed join SL, if I were you, I would be saving all my spare pennies and get over there for 1 game. It is a totally, totally different experience to a SL game in this country.
Yeh I'm sure that a lot of SL fans will want to go to that fixture. But that could be a problem logistics wise. The number of flights to Toronto are not numerous & there would probably be a shortage of capacity to take fans over the Atlantic. I guess some clubs may charter flights for their fans, but that wouldn't be cheap.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:57 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm
Yeh I'm sure that a lot of SL fans will want to go to that fixture. But that could be a problem logistics wise. The number of flights to Toronto are not numerous & there would probably be a shortage of capacity to take fans over the Atlantic. I guess some clubs may charter flights for their fans, but that wouldn't be cheap.

Flight prices depend on exactly when in the year you go. I only paid £380 return last year and the club own a hotel which if you use and say you are over for the rugby you get a subsidised rate that is very cheap.(I did not use that as I stayed with a West Ham fan).
Chopper flight over Niagara is 150 dollars for up to 5 people so well worth it.
I was lucky in having a friend there and I only bought a few resents to bring back but I reckon the 5 days I was there, including the flight, could have been done for well under £1,000. Not cheap, but as a once in a lifetime to see the falls as well, not too bad in my eyes.
I know you go skiing Where better ? !!!!!!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Toronto looked very impressive & I can't see Toulouse upping their game to Featherstone challenging Toronto in the playoff final in under just 2 weeks time in Toronto.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Toronto looked very impressive & I can't see Toulouse upping their game to Featherstone challenging Toronto in the playoff final in under just 2 weeks time in Toronto.
Hi Pete - why are you so happy to converse with a right wing xenophobe?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:Toronto looked very impressive & I can't see Toulouse upping their game to Featherstone challenging Toronto in the playoff final in under just 2 weeks time in Toronto.
Hi Pete - why are you so happy to converse with a right wing xenophobe?
For fuck's sake man, is it not enough for you to just disagree with the man? You have to absolutely destroy his character like this?

So moral, so caring, until someone goes against the narrative or has the wrong opinion (as decided by the opinion gods). Then it all goes out of the window.

As I said before, if the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

I'd like to point out as well that you threw a hissy fit in the other thread because he generalised about Germans (I bet the entire German nation are delighted that you're here to defend their honour and get offended on their behalf). Yet here you are, generalising about right-wingers. As I said, double standards.

But seriously man, you're crossing a line here. Give it a rest.

Darlogramps

Rugby League

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:57 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote: For fuck's sake man, is it not enough for you to just disagree with the man? You have to absolutely destroy his character like this?
EDJOHNS did a pretty good job of destroying his own character with his own xenophobia.

It’s hilarious/staggering that you’re more outraged about criticism of EDJOHNS, than you are of stereotyping an entire nation with dangerous rhetoric.

I’m sorry, but EDJOHNS brought this on himself. He crossed the line with his self-confessed irrational hatred of an entire nation (he literally said he detests then) and his failure to justify it.

He crossed the line by stating blatant falsehoods, which were disproved with hard evidence, then launched a series of personal attacks on myself to deflect from his need to admit he was wrong.

DarloOnTheUp wrote: I'd like to point out as well that you threw a hissy fit in the other thread because he generalised about Germans (I bet the entire German nation are delighted that you're here to defend their honour and get offended on their behalf). Yet here you are, generalising about right-wingers. As I said, double standards.

Really poor arguments here. You’re going to have explain how I’m generalising about right wingers. I’ve attacked one particular right winger and provided justification. Where have I generalised all right wingers however?

You’re right though, I am offended. Ignorance, lack of intelligence, demonisation of entire groups of people because of individual prejudices, failure to admit when you’re wrong, blatant lies and a lack of human decency.

Absolutely that offends me and I will challenge it where I see it. What you’ve failed to grasp is freedom of speech doesn’t come without consequences. People can say what they like but must be prepared for reaction when they do.

It’s nothing to do with getting outraged on behalf of other people. It’s disapproving of a set of statements that EDJOHNS can not justify.
DarloOnTheUp wrote: But seriously man, you're crossing a line here. Give it a rest.
No I’m not. But you, who I previously thought to have intelligence, have descended into hysterics.

Not going to go any further in this particular thread. I’ve made my point.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 am

Jesus Gramps do you have to invade every thread on here? This thread is about Rugby League & it's not here to talk about your squabbles.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 am
Jesus Gramps do you have to invade every thread on here? This thread is about Rugby League & it's not here to talk about your squabbles.
Not worth the effort of worrying about Pete. I said openly I detest them as a race that is my right. I do not have to give reasons any more than you do for your hatred of Carlisle.

I have never had a stalker before

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 am

Getting ready for the next round of fixtures, and enjoying the fact that the lower league are getting air time.
Just going to the 1 game this weekend. A nice early 12.00 kick off at Newcastle v Doncaster.
While Whitehaven won the league I feel it will be a tad sad if Newcastle don't go up as they play the most expansive rugby I have seen this season in any league and the points they have scored is way higher than anyone else in the league.
Hoping Feath pull off a shock at Toulouse because they have a few KR players playing for them.

Funny thing going back to racism, sad to see this morning that Cunningham has been cleared not because he is innocent but because of lack of evidence. I know Robbie Mulhern very well and he is adamant about what was said to Mose.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49819245

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am

Big game tonight between Salford & Castleford, I hope for Rob's sake Castleford win & then they will face the loser of tomorrow's game between St. Helens & Wigan next week for a place in the Grand Final. But whoever wins tonight, it's hard to make a case for them winning at either St Helens & Castleford.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am
Big game tonight between Salford & Castleford, I hope for Rob's sake Castleford win & then they will face the loser of tomorrow's game between St. Helens & Wigan next week for a place in the Grand Final. But whoever wins tonight, it's hard to make a case for them winning at either St Helens & Castleford.
What I am finding hard to take about Salford this season is that they have 6 players regular first 13 who the last 2 managers thought not good enough for KR.
Add to that Kenny Sio who went back to Aus "because his family could not settle in the UK" makes more than half the team sat 3rd in the table were not good enough for the side sat 11th !!
Funny old world isn't it.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:51 pm

We were not at the races last night and got nothing, had best players out for most of season so to get to semi wasnt bad.
Think it will be a Saints Salford final with Saints winning it