King’s Lynn

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

King’s Lynn

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Long old trip tomorrow, team at least should be well rested after staying overnight.
Another tough game against a side bang in form.

Mister e

Re: King’s Lynn

Post by Mister e » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Think thommo owes us a performance hopefully he over his post holiday blues now although I suspect that this goal scoring record is probably playing on his mind also lets hope he smashes it sooner rather than later.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 am

As the OP says tough trip. Think they have won alm their home games by increasing margins (2-1, 3-1 and 4-1) and they have a striker in form in Michael Gash. Saying that we can give anyone in this league a game. We do always seem to create chances so let's hope that the 4 forward players bring their shooting boots. We're a hard team to play if we get ahead, it opens the game up and gives us more space to operate how we want to.

As for the team seems the important player in that front 4 at the moment is O'Neill, he ties everything together and helps the ball stick in the final third. I'd expect him to come straight back in after Alun explained he'd be rested following being ill last Monday. From the match build up in the echo sounds like Galbraith is 50/50 whether he'll be fit to play. Heaton will be the obvious replacement. (We must be due some luck with injuries a bit later on in the season) all that being said it looks to me we'll set up 4-2-3-1:

---------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------

Atkinson --- Heaton ----- Laing -------- Watson

------------- Bascombe --- Hatfield -------------------

Rivers --------------- O'Neill ------------- Thompson

------------------------ Cambell -------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Wheatley, Holness, Bell, Donawa

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 am

Would have loved to have gone to this one and had a weekend down there but family commitments all weekend :( . Seriously hard game for the team, but we know the team is capable of pulling it off. The guy's who paid for the bus and hotel deserve a pat on the back, fantastic fans and gives the team the best chance of getting a result.

Although not expecting anything out of the game, it would be good to get the first away win of the season against the second top team, especially for team confidence going forward.

"Up the Quakers"

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 am

JE93 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 am
As the OP says tough trip. Think they have won alm their home games by increasing margins (2-1, 3-1 and 4-1) and they have a striker in form in Michael Gash. Saying that we can give anyone in this league a game. We do always seem to create chances so let's hope that the 4 forward players bring their shooting boots. We're a hard team to play if we get ahead, it opens the game up and gives us more space to operate how we want to.

As for the team seems the important player in that front 4 at the moment is O'Neill, he ties everything together and helps the ball stick in the final third. I'd expect him to come straight back in after Alun explained he'd be rested following being ill last Monday. From the match build up in the echo sounds like Galbraith is 50/50 whether he'll be fit to play. Heaton will be the obvious replacement. (We must be due some luck with injuries a bit later on in the season) all that being said it looks to me we'll set up 4-2-3-1:

O'Neill = 4-4-2.

Two forwards on the pitch playing together is 4-4-2.

They look like a 4-4-2 when they play together.

Before you or anyone else says "ah but, O'Neill drops deep sometimes" I will agree, but say so what? Even Mr Target Man Barry Conlon used to drop deep to get the ball sometimes. I'll also point out that Campbell, who you have as the lone forward here, drops deeper and more often. Would that not make it 4-2-4-0?

Two forwards (which they are) in a 4-4-2 (which it is) are allowed to drop deep from time to time. Because they move around a bit, this does not make it 4-2-3-1.

A 4-2-3-1 is a formation which only contains 1 striker in the line up. I have nothing against that formation by the way, if it is working well with the attacking midfielder (Thompson for example, or Syers of old) supporting the Forward (Campbell). O'Neill is not an attacking midfielder or deep lying forward, he's a forward. He likes to be in an around the box, he's got good feet and holds it up really well.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 am

I go with that team but Galbraith for Heaton (if he’s fit) and Donawa for Thompson.

I’d think about 2 in front of Bascome in Hatfield and Holness and remove O’Neill in a 4-1-4-1 formation

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 am

On the train from Stockport to Kings Lynn with
McfcDarlo03 .
Just left Nottingham where a large contingent of PNE supporters left the train leaving us in relative peace.
Looking for reward to the afternoon in Kings Lynn but as everyone else has pointed out this is a tough fixture

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 am
JE93 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 am

O'Neill = 4-4-2.

Two forwards on the pitch playing together is 4-4-2.

They look like a 4-4-2 when they play together.

Before you or anyone else says "ah but, O'Neill drops deep sometimes" I will agree, but say so what? Even Mr Target Man Barry Conlon used to drop deep to get the ball sometimes. I'll also point out that Campbell, who you have as the lone forward here, drops deeper and more often. Would that not make it 4-2-4-0?

Two forwards (which they are) in a 4-4-2 (which it is) are allowed to drop deep from time to time. Because they move around a bit, this does not make it 4-2-3-1.

A 4-2-3-1 is a formation which only contains 1 striker in the line up. I have nothing against that formation by the way, if it is working well with the attacking midfielder (Thompson for example, or Syers of old) supporting the Forward (Campbell). O'Neill is not an attacking midfielder or deep lying forward, he's a forward. He likes to be in an around the box, he's got good feet and holds it up really well.
I believe at one time we played Alun White upfront, Colwyn Bay we won 4-2, team of:

Jameson; Gibbons, Burgess, Hunter, Watson; Thompson (Youhill 72), Turnbull, Portas, Bell (Scott 56); Cartman (Dowson 61), White

Looks like 4-4-2 to me as that was Gray's way of operating. Think we all agree Alan White was a defender but that doesnt mean we played 5-4-1.

All personal opinions, and I agree that the front 4 are by nature and instruction very fluid, they can all swap positions. But in my opinion we play 4-2-3-1, it's a system. And effects how you ask players to play and the roles they undertake. There is always one player dropping into that hole to link midfield and the front 4. The wide players are less traditional not going round the outside and getting to the by-line as much, but instead cutting inside playing more like traditional forwards.

As I say all personal opinions. If you want to take the same players and call it 4-4-2 that's yours. I'd would say our system is 4-2-3-1. Its these opinions that make football interesting.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 am
I go with that team but Galbraith for Heaton (if he’s fit) and Donawa for Thompson.

I’d think about 2 in front of Bascome in Hatfield and Holness and remove O’Neill in a 4-1-4-1 formation
Anyone who'd remove O'Neill from the team (when we CLEARLY are more dangerous with him in it) either has a screw loose, or just can't bear to say the words "4-4-2"

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:12 am

JE93 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 am
As I say all personal opinions. If you want to take the same players and call it 4-4-2 that's yours. I'd would say our system is 4-2-3-1. Its these opinions that make football interesting.
4-4-2 isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

Yes we can play 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1 for us old non trendy fans) and that was going to be the initial set up with Holmes wide left, Rivers wide right, Campbell the spearhead and Thompson as CAM.

But Holmes got injured so Thompson had to go on the wing and O'Neill came in - only he's NOT a CAM, he's a traditional good old forward. You don't try and make a forward play CAM, you tweak the formation to suit the players at hand. Therefore, 4-4-2!

People are just obsessed with calling plain old formations something more fantastical, because it's trendy.
Last edited by Ghost_Of_1883 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 am

Clearly the key to success againt them is to keep the shackles on Gash and Marriott. Gash is a real handful in the air and a big focus for them although they also like to play the ball around on the deck. Gash is what you would call 'chunky' these days but effective. Looking at the vids from last night of our players in action, I'm glad the match outcome won't be decided on singing prowess :D

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:31 am

O’Neill has done ok, he’s missed some very good chances recently but he’s only a kid so plenty to come from him.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:49 am

I think i'd swap O'Neill and Campbell around today. Make O'Neill the man to lead the line and get Campbell to play off him.

Donowa and Rivers on the wings for me, Thommo on the bench today please.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:34 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:12 am
JE93 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 am
4-4-2 isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

Yes we can play 4-2-3-1 (or 4-5-1 for us old non trendy fans) and that was going to be the initial set up with Holmes wide left, Rivers wide right, Campbell the spearhead and Thompson as CAM.

But Holmes got injured so Thompson had to go on the wing and O'Neill came in - only he's NOT a CAM, he's a traditional good old forward. You don't try and make a forward play CAM, you tweak the formation to suit the players at hand. Therefore, 4-4-2!

People are just obsessed with calling plain old formations something more fantastical, because it's trendy.
As I say. Game of opinions. I'm not alone in thinking we play 4-2-3-1. Think all our match reports in the echo list us as playing 4-2-3-1 from the start, based on the thoughts of people who have far more access to management than I.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:41 pm

50 years wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 am
The guy's who paid for the bus and hotel deserve a pat on the back, fantastic fans and gives the team the best chance of getting a result.
Alan Robson and Gavin Ellis. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Incredible, well done you two!!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Nice ground & nice bar under MainStand.

Shame most Darlington fans can't use it because of the segregation in place today.
Still the bar serves a nice pint & the locals are friendly.

Never realized until I was in ground it was segregated.

B_Little

Post by B_Little » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:52 pm

First game of the season. Big improvement from last year.

Only thing to say so far. DARLO HAVE A SHOT ON GOAL.

You don't SHOOT YOU DON'T SCORE.

Give the travelling supporters a shot, then two shots, then three, then four...... to shot about.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Another awful mistake. Heaton just let a player run through on goal.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:14 pm

Heaton again I'm afraid. Route 1 and Heaton lost his man.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Got to stop these mistakes at the back and start converting our chances or this will be a repeat of last season and another relegation battle.Not physical enough sadly and far too often getting bullied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:25 pm

Sounds like we've forgotten how to take set pieces, we've had 6 corners & not threatened their goal.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:27 pm

They’re getting a panning on DFR

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:32 pm

We have 0 confidence unfortunately. Need a miracle to get back into this.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Almost ten games in. Going on our current average of a point a game it could be another long season. Just like last season. Different team of players, same results. Hope they "click" and improve for the next ten. Won't be looking over our shoulders then

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm

All I'm going to say is look at how Blyth's season went last season and also bear in mind we've lost key defensive players to injury and of course Jamie Holmes. I think AA will dip into the loan market this week to shore things up at the back and move Atkinson back into central midfield.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:41 pm

Agreed. He was waiting until the end of August. Creativity is very poor.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:We have 0 confidence unfortunately. Need a miracle to get back into this.
Wednesday a must win game Adam to try and get some confidence back.If we fail to beat Blyth then this will be a major worry.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:All I'm going to say is look at how Blyth's season went last season and also bear in mind we've lost key defensive players to injury and of course Jamie Holmes. I think AA will dip into the loan market this week to shore things up at the back and move Atkinson back into central midfield.
Hope you are right, but failing this I wonder if AA will go 3 at the back with 2 wing backs.Got to try and make us more solid.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:47 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:36 pm
Almost ten games in. Going on our current average of a point a game it could be another long season. Just like last season. Different team of players, same results. Hope they "click" and improve for the next ten. Won't be looking over our shoulders then
Don't be critical. You are not allowed to be. All is going well.