Small clubs in the north west

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Small clubs in the north west

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:58 am
jjljks wrote:Very much the final day / hours, sitting in last chance saloon / EU deadline for both Bolton and Bury as EFL declare 17:00 before they expell both clubs.
Both sets of fans and those currently employed by the clubs must be hoping that the EFL are taking their reading off the clock at Blackwell Meadows.
The football pyramid is looking more like a Jenga tower or Pick-up-Sticks game in danger of collapse.
Hasn’t a buyer come in for bury?
Owner Dale told BBC Radio Manchester he had agreed a deal with analytics company C&N Sporting Risk, led by Henry Newman and Rory Campbell.

That news provided Bury fans with genuine optimism, but C&N Sporting Risk said it was "disappointing" the extension granted to them was not longer.

"There are a number of serious outstanding issues to be addressed," the company said in a statement.

so - loads to finalise and sort....maybe not enough time to do it

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:51 pm
Everything you mentioned is great - and the threat is you can’t compete in the competition unless these thing are as we say.

And then what if owners don’t and it is mid way through the season. What is the view of the masses if a team are expelled because they suddenly breach one of these regs (may be because their attendances are lower than expected so they are suddenly not in budget).

The FA do not control the leagues. The only FA Competitions are the FA Cup, Trophy and Vase. The EFL and PL are separate effectively profitable companies who administer their competition.

They pay an annual affiliation fee of to the FA every year to register their competition.

1. So clubs who are fan owned get money for what purpose? How does that prevent the current situation at Bury all the issues with clubs has been those with single owner models so this wouldn’t stop the issues which have happened.

2. What if clubs don’t own those assets now. A lot of clubs have council owned grounds or others arrangements due to the financing of their ground - how can you enforce that all clubs have a stadium. Look even Inter Milan and AC Milan share a ground so it’s even at the top top level clubs don’t necessary own their stadium.

3. Again rules around budgets could only be enforce through expulsion from competition. The only competitions that FA could remove you from are theirs - the EFL Control membership and participation in their competitions. How do you manage this though - Darlington has a budget for however many years and we still made a loss how do you actually say “you have brought less money in from ticket sales than you thought, as a result of that your committed expenditure on players is over what you can afford so now you can’t play your next home game”
Division 2 clubs receive a basic award plus a Premier League solidarity payment. I think the total of these two comes to somewhere between £900,000 & £1 million to each club each season. I am suggesting that some clubs i.e. those with an approved ownership structure should receive larger basic payments than those which do not conform to an approved ownership model. This will not prevent single owners of football clubs but the EFL/FA/Premier League could make this type of ownership model or this ownership structure without stringent financial safeguards, deeply unattractive by means of differential payments.

I did not mean to suggest that every club has to own its own ground. I am suggesting that there should be some protection from asset stripping for those clubs which do own their grounds. I suspect the only way this might be possible is if the ground is owned by some form of trust and this could be required for all such clubs if they want to operate within the EFL system. I accept your point that the FA does not directly control leagues but if the leagues have to be affiliated then it could be imposed by the FA as a prerequisite to affiliation or it could be imposed by the EFL.

I don’t think I mentioned automatic exclusion from the league part way through the season as a penalty but I accept it is a perfectly reasonable inference to take from my suggestion that clubs must operate within a specific financial model or within specific financial constraints. Clearly these constraints could allow modest losses because budgets are just predictions and will never be accurate with a high level of precision so some leeway on expected shortfalls could be allowed.

On the other hand budgets which bear no relationship to historic financial performance and have no other way off justifying or supporting projected income / expenditure other than by excessive* borrowing could result in expulsion before the season starts. During each season (after all clubs have had their initial budget approved/accepted by the league concerned) could be dealt with by points deductions. These could be applied on a sliding scale but one which makes this sort of funding very unattractive for the clubs.

I also accept that all of this needs a lot more detailed consideration than these initial thoughts. I do however find it pretty unacceptable that Bury can get themselves promoted whilst carrying debts of £14 million. (This is the figure which the owner was quoting as the debt within the club when he took it over. He has indicated that the great success he has achieved whilst at Bury is to reduce this debt to something like £3 million by way of a CVA. Heaven knows what damage that might have, or has, done to any local businesses which were / are creditors - or indeed any creditors come to that). Budgets will never be perfect but I think that the rules and restrictions are flawed if a club is allowed to play in Division 2 when it is carrying debts of £14 million

*I appreciate that some definition of "excessive" has to be arrived at but that should be possible by reference to a percentage of actual turnover.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Correction
"...some leeway on expected shortfalls could be allowed."
Was meant to read unexpected or unanticipated.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Bury now have until 5pm tonight, according to the BBC.

It looks like this could be it, the same as what happened to us.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm
Bury now have until 5pm tonight, according to the BBC.

It looks like this could be it, the same as what happened to us.
Well the deadline has passed and Bury await their fate. Wasn't this the same deadline for Bolton Wanderers and are we about to see two relatively high profile traditional clubs cease existence in their current form at least?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:06 pm

The bury fans are quite rightfully going beserk half an hour to the five o clock deadline and they issued a statement thanking somebody for feeding the 400 volunteers who had been trying to get the ground ready for a fixture on Saturday free of charge. Doesn't it remind you of some of the clowns who ran us during our feethams and arena days.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Really feel for Bury fans but can't see that man with a bag full of cash turning up now to save the day. They have shown a lot of guts fighting their corner and will find a way to keep going. Perhaps there is a way of us giving them the benefit of our experiences?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm

I suspect their supporters trust is already in contact with supporters direct. If they are not it wouldn’t be a bad starting place for them.

Ultimately they will support them along the way to become fan owned if that is what they want.

There seems to be a bit of radio silence at the moment mind. The deadline was 90 minutes ago and no real indicator of what now - you just expect something to come out of the woodwork...especially for Bolton although their debts are over £150m I think.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Don't worry, Steve Dale (so it must be right) reckons there are other offers for Bury still on the table... one of them from that nutcase Joseph Cala who very nearly succeeded in destroying Gateshead. No problem then. You couldn't make it up.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Horrible news for both clubs if the worst is confirmed. The only light to be taken from it is that in these situations the football club will go back to where it belongs the fans. They will have their chance to start again and build something positive in their communities.

On a slightly different note it seems interesting that Bolton have been allowed to play games this season. Wycombe, Rochdale and Tranmere have benefitted from large away followings going into the coffers. All the other clubs in the league will receive nothing. Similarly if the worst is to happen most clubs are 2 games down in terms of finances. Hardly protecting the integrity of the competition, which is often the EFL's go to statement. This should never have been allowed to happen. While harsh, the national league rules are far more appropriate. Get your house in order by the AGM or you're out. Atleast then the supporters could have tried to mobilise to get a club in further down the pyramid rather than facing a season without football.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Bury would be better off going under than Cala taking control. They’d be in another crisis within months.

It’s outrageous that Cala is even allowed to be near another club, given what happened at Gateshead.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Has gramps says if cala gets involved this will prove once and for all that the football leagues fit and proper person test is an absolute joke on another point I wish fans such has those at bury Gateshead even ourselves to a certain degree could become part of a community football league which is what the football league was originally meant to be. The greed of the premiership is just taking the game further and further away from the working class the hooligans who threatened the game in the 1970's with their antics on the terraces have now become toffs in the boardroom up and down the land many who couldn't give a stuff about grass roots supporters.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Cala may have made a bid but if its successful is another thing. If this is approved the efl who are already under scrutiny with the bolton and bury sagas amongst others would be even more of a joke. How is cala even allowed back in the uk with his dodgy dealings never mind the efl
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Bury now expelled from efl. In my 25 year watching football this is the 1st time i can recall this happening
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:15 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 pm
Bury now expelled from efl. In my 25 year watching football this is the 1st time i can recall this happening
Maidstone in 1992/3 season were last expelled. They never played 1st fixture.

Aldershot were liquidated at end of 1991/2 season & therefore technically not expelled.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 pm

What an absolute shame apparently they is a covenant on gigg lane though so hopefully they can rebuild the club free of false messiahs.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:06 am

Mister e wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 pm
What an absolute shame apparently they is a covenant on gigg lane though so hopefully they can rebuild the club free of false messiahs.
It's a sad day for football that this has happened. I hope that in some way we can offer some guidance on how to approach restarting considering what our club has been through and show a bit of solidarity with those at Bury. Although on the pitch we may be rivals, off it we are all part of the football family and we have lost a member of this. We came back, it can be done.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 am

Sadly, no more Shakers v Quakers games.
Hope they can become another successful phoenix club in the future.

Now that the first club this season has gone, what will the effects be on the pyramid? A number of other struggling clubs will be pushed closer to the brink as they lose out on revenue from the lost fixtures. Ripples down due to promotion, jobs lost on & off the pitch and fans bereft. Shame on the football for letting this issue get out of hand.
Last edited by jjljks on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:46 am

spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

Aldershot were liquidated at end of 1991/2 season & therefore technically not expelled.
Just before i started watching football. Now a club has actually been removed from the efl for the first time since maidstone they will finally book there ideas up

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 am

Terrible news for Bury & I know there fans will be really hurting now, but I am certain that they will reform & they will rise again. It'll be interesting to see where a reformed club will be put in the football pyramid. I wouldn't rule us out from meeting them again sometimes in the future.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:34 am

So many enjoyable trips to Bury with Darlington. I was at the play off game they lost v Shrewsbury (lots of them hiding in the Bury section) and Clem from sky sports asked me why I wasn't celebrating-I'm a Darlington fan, I said. Just like us their fans are so commited to the club and hopefully when the dust settles they will reform and be financially sound. Gutted for the fans-always the ones to suffer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am

Mister e wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:38 pm
The Arena has a covenant on it I’m not sure how much it matters if it is mortgaged for £1.5m and the owners of the asset still own it. To play there they would need to buy or rent it from them.

They have been expelled from the football league but they still hold their football share and I am not sure they are strictly being liquidated as yet? I mean maybe that logically follows, but if not does that mean they can apply to the National League to be members there?

I just read the BBC article and the EFL have said that they can apply to join another competition in the pyramid, so effectively they can apply to join the National League and if that fails apply to join the Northern Prem and if that fails apply to join the North West Counties.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 am

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:46 am
spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

Just before i started watching football. Now a club has actually been removed from the efl for the first time since maidstone they will finally book there ideas up
Too late for Bury to buck up their ideas.

As for the EFL, it wasn't them that chose the reckless financial policy of spending more than they earn. Its not the EFL to blame, nor is it for the EFL to buck up their ideas. Its down to club owners to realise that spending more than the club has as income will bring about debt and ultimately financial ruin.

Clubs need to stop paying out stupid wages and pay what they can afford to pay...as seems now to be the policy DJ has introduced at DFC. It may mean fans have to be patient as regards progress, but it should stop the cycle of boom and bust.

Bury were paying one player £8k per week in League 2 last season! That is madness and its the club owner who agreed to that salary

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am

The bit that I can’t fathom is how much grace clubs get from HMRC. Most businesses would be finished by a huge tax bill much faster.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:48 am

!
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 am
shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

As for the EFL, it wasn't them that chose the reckless financial policy of spending more than they earn. Its not the EFL to blame, nor is it for the EFL to buck up their ideas. Its down to club owners to realise that spending more than the club has as income will bring about debt and ultimately financial ruin.

Clubs need to stop paying out stupid wages and pay what they can afford to pay...as seems now to be the policy DJ has introduced at DFC. It may mean fans have to be patient as regards progress, but it should stop the cycle of boom and bust.

Bury were paying one player £8k per week in League 2 last season! That is madness and its the club owner who agreed to that salary
Of course it also highlights the inherent dangers that can arise from one person having complete ownership and control of a club and its future. He can spend loads of cash on a big squad of expensive players and ground improvements and everything is fine and dandy as long as he continues to do so and covers the spending. 

However if he gets bored or needs to cut back for a whole variety of reasons then problems can arise and debts can start to rise. And if he then decides to sell, who knows whether it's a Cala or a Dale who takes control of the club. And as we have seen, the fans can only sit back and watch their club fall.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:31 am

Yet Dale, the man who made these financial decisions, is the one that walks away without punishment. Just like Singh did 7 years ago.

The employees and fans who have no control or say over what is spent, are the ones who are punished. They lose a football team and an employer.

And as we saw with Singh, these 'owners' are rarely usinfg their own cash to finance the big wages. It's all loans against the clubs assets.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 am

spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

But the efl never checked proof of funds properly, surely thats a big error from them

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:16 am

I've noticed that we (D.F.C) are picking up a bit of press at present. We are getting mentioned in a positive way, as in what can be achieved by a fan owned club who has had to start again from scratch.

I have a feeling that Bolton may survive, but if they fail too then this situation will obviously become huge.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:23 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 am
shildonlad wrote:
spen666 wrote:
shildonlad wrote:

The EFL let Steve Dale take over a club, when he has over 40 insolvencies associated with his businesses.

The EFL let Ken Anderson take over Bolton, when he has previously been banned as acting as a company director.

The EFL is not fit for purpose in this regard. Suspect individuals are continually allowed to take over football clubs and the EFL lets it happen.

On a side note, you have your own forum now. Bore off.
Craig Liddle is God!!