Saturday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Arseendoffit
Team Supported: Darlington

Saturday

Post by Arseendoffit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 am

Given injuries what are peoples thoughts on 352...
For me Rivers looked a threat in the centre, Donowa looks to have good fitness levels to be a threat and help out at the back, Campbell looks better with someone alongside him and Heaton is too good to be warming the bench.
AA mentioned at the forum that he rarely tinkers with a 442 but given Trottman will be out and we don't look to have a lot of creativity in the centre i wouldnt be suprised if at some stage on Saturday he tries it..

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Saturday

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

What's your team in that formation

Elliott
Heaton, Laing, Galbraith
Donawa, Hatfield, Thompson, Rivers, Liddle
Campbell, O'Neill

So Trotman and Holmes out with injury and Holness out due to selection.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 am

Donawa has never played wing back, and won’t be starting this weekend I’d venture.

Liddle or Watson will be moved to RB, or Atkinson could be brought in there if for. AA isn’t about to tear up everything he’s been working on because of an injury to Trotman.

Not sure I agree on the “He runs about a lot so could play at wing back” logic. Donawa doesn’t look like a defender to me. Round pegs in round holes please.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am

God I hate 352. You lose all your attacking width and nobody knows who is marking who.

I'd go...

Elliott
Watson - galbraith - laing - liddle
Atkinson - Hatfield
Thompson - holness - rivers
Campbell

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 am

AA mentioned in his post-match interview that Donawa has played wing-back before.

3-5-2 could be an option, AA has used this before at Blyth but to shore things up away from home.

I'd like to see a similar shape again. Liddle in for Trotman, O'Neill in for Holmes.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am

tdk1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am
God I hate 352. You lose all your attacking width and nobody knows who is marking who.

I'd go...

Elliott
Atkinson - Hatfield
Campbell
Holness playing just behind Campbell?!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am

For me it would be:

--------------------- Elliott -----------------------

Atkinson ---- Heaton ---- Laing ------ Liddle

------------- Hatfield --- Holness --------------

Rivers ------------ O'Neill ---------- Thompson

----------------- Campbell ----------------------

Subs: Hall, Watson, Galbraith, Bascombe, Donawa.

If Atkinson isn't fit enough then Watson comes in and it's just down to comfort/experience between him and Liddle who fills in at RB.

CB I'd like to see a bit of rotation. Everyone is saying how good Mike Williamson was for G'head last night (his experience and quality will just shine through at this level). But that is what Heaton used to look like for us before he was sold to St Mirren, he was our rolls Royce defender if you can et him back to that level its one from the other two to play with him, so we should rotate and find out which is the best combination.

Bit more height in the forward area's with O'Neill coming into the team, in reality when we have the ball I'd expect him to push on and get in the box as that second striker, when we lose it, play in the hole, hold the ball up to allow us to try and get up the pitch or try and win some flick on's to get Campbell in behind with his pace. Thompson and Rivers to interchange between keeping wide, swapping wings and cutting inside.

Got to say despite the injuries that is still a very capable team at this level.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am
tdk1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am

I'd go...

Elliott
Atkinson - Hatfield
Campbell
Holness playing just behind Campbell?!
Yeah, I think he'd be good there. Works hard, big and strong, good right foot. Bit like syers when he an styche clicked.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 am

I like Holness, but I really don't think he's an attacking player.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 am

Really? I'm happy to bow to your superior knowledge as I've only seen him play about three times, but I really thought the opposite...

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am

Have you got confused between Holness and Holmes?

I hope we don't start messing around with formations this early in the season. One of our downfalls last year. Watson in for Trotman, maybe O'Neill in for Holmes.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 am

No, definitely mean omar.

Arseendoffit

Post by Arseendoffit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:40 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:28 am
Donawa has never played wing back, and won’t be starting this weekend I’d venture.

Liddle or Watson will be moved to RB, or Atkinson could be brought in there if for. AA isn’t about to tear up everything he’s been working on because of an injury to Trotman.

Not sure I agree on the “He runs about a lot so could play at wing back” logic. Donawa doesn’t look like a defender to me. Round pegs in round holes please.
Where have i suggested he runs around a lot ?
If you listen to AA interview you'll find that Donowa has played wing back before..
My suggestion of a 352 isnt solely to cover Trotmans injury it is to also find some creativity in the centre of the park.
Hatfield is a ball winner and a good one at that and Omar seems to be neither hear nor there in what role he offers.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:41 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am
For me it would be:

If Atkinson isn't fit enough then Watson comes in and it's just down to comfort/experience between him and Liddle who fills in at RB.

CB I'd like to see a bit of rotation. Everyone is saying how good Mike Williamson was for G'head last night (his experience and quality will just shine through at this level). But that is what Heaton used to look like for us before he was sold to St Mirren, he was our rolls Royce defender if you can et him back to that level its one from the other two to play with him, so we should rotate and find out which is the best combination.

Bit more height in the forward area's with O'Neill coming into the team, in reality when we have the ball I'd expect him to push on and get in the box as that second striker, when we lose it, play in the hole, hold the ball up to allow us to try and get up the pitch or try and win some flick on's to get Campbell in behind with his pace. Thompson and Rivers to interchange between keeping wide, swapping wings and cutting inside.

Got to say despite the injuries that is still a very capable team at this level.
Good shout Heaton a little more control and pace than tez, great position thou to have tez, heaton and laing fighting for two spots.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:55 am

If we're losing a couple of players from the 'first choice' team I don't think its wise to also change formations.

Keep the same shape and just change personnel as needed. Watson in for Trotman (with possibly Liddle on the right), and Donawa in for Holmes, or drop Campbell into a wide position and O'Neil up front.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Arseendoffit

Post by Arseendoffit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm

JE93 wrote:
For me it would be:

Very suprised that you would drop Galbraith after last nights performance, he held the centre of the defensive together.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 pm

This suggestion is exactly what TW would do.

Play the system, use what we have. Maybe we might look to loan a kid from Boro to bulk out some cover, but can’t both Watson and Atkinson play there?

Gutted for Trotman though. An awful injury, and he really looked like he would kick on. He could quite conceivably have a future as a pro.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Though we looked better with o’neill upfront. Like the look of Donawa but is he a 90 min player yet? Saying that might do a job over the first 60 mins.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm

I have been very impressed by O'Neill and thought he really made a difference when he came on last night. I think we would be a different team if we could get our noses in front, and he certainly contributed to us doing that against Boro under 23s. We haven't started too well in both matches so far, so why not give the lad a go from the off.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 am

Arseendoffit wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm
JE93 wrote:
For me it would be:

Very suprised that you would drop Galbraith after last nights performance, he held the centre of the defensive together.
Not a particular move against Galbraith. As the comment above says. I Want to see all three combinations Play together. We've had a couple of Galbraith and Laing. I'd like to see a couple of Heaton and Laing and a couple of Heaton and Galbraith. Whichever happens first or second doesn't really bother me as they're not being dropped as such.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 am

Looking at the heavens, Rivers should be the main man on Saturday :D

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:25 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 am
Or we could see if Willo Flood fancies a game...
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 am

mikkyx wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:25 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 am
Or we could see if Willo Flood fancies a game...
Perhaps Beck? ;)

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am

Having just listened to Michael Liddle's post match interview, where he mentions the way in which the current members of the defence are beginning to gel, I would think there will be little reason for AA to make wholesale changes to the starting back 4, bar the obvious need to replace Luke Trotman. Trots is such a gifted player that whoever comes in will find it difficult to supply the same level of input to the team, but it probably doesn't yet justify re-writing AA's vision of how he wants his team set up. Watson is probably the most likely replacement, although Cameron Holiday is a more like for like substitute. Following the same logic mentioned above, I can see few changes in the rest of the team apart from the possible need to replace Holmes who also looked like he may not be ready for Saturday. If he is out, then move Thommo over to left and bring in O'Neill alongside Campbell.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:28 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
Having just listened to Michael Liddle's post match interview, where he mentions the way in which the current members of the defence are beginning to gel, I would think there will be little reason for AA to make wholesale changes to the starting back 4, bar the obvious need to replace Luke Trotman. Trots is such a gifted player that whoever comes in will find it difficult to supply the same level of input to the team, but it probably doesn't yet justify re-writing AA's vision of how he wants his team set up. Watson is probably the most likely replacement, although Cameron Holiday is a more like for like substitute. Following the same logic mentioned above, I can see few changes in the rest of the team apart from the possible need to replace Holmes who also looked like he may not be ready for Saturday. If he is out, then move Thommo over to left and bring in O'Neill alongside Campbell.
We have a manager who believes in his players and wont make changes just to please the usual crowd who think they know better.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am

Two enforced changes:

Trotman out: Watson in and swap full backs
Holmes out: O'Neill in

I’d like to see Atkinson in with Hatfield, that Holness/Hatfield partnership is very poor when we are in possession. They are both very frantic and like a dog with a balloon when they have the ball.

I’d also like Alun to ditch his long ball from the back tactics. We weren’t doing this in pre season, we were much more controlled in our build up (appreciate it was pre season.)

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:22 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:36 am
Two enforced changes:

Trotman out: Watson in and swap full backs
Holmes out: O'Neill in

I’d like to see Atkinson in with Hatfield, that Holness/Hatfield partnership is very poor when we are in possession. They are both very frantic and like a dog with a balloon when they have the ball.

I’d also like Alun to ditch his long ball from the back tactics. We weren’t doing this in pre season, we were much more controlled in our build up (appreciate it was pre season.)
It's easy to say that, but I don't believe this is always the desired approach from the players, but the opposition are making it difficult by putting a line of 4 and 5 in front of us. We try and play it through the middle, but they close us down really fast. Therefore the most space is out on the wingers, therefore these long balls are played. We ended up losing it in the middle too often.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Listen to Armstrong's interview. He says that he doesn't want them hitting long balls, so it's not his tactic, it's a player response to the opposition preventing us playing the way Armstrong wants.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:59 am

Well, Saturday is hear, and we shall soon know AA's views on who plays where.
I simply want to say what an excellent thread this has been to read, with different views put over in a way that respects what others think = kind of "OK, you see it that way, but I see it this way because...".
Perhaps those who can take a more antagonistic approach when faced with ideas that are different from their own might read and learn?

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 am

On reflection I think he’ll definitely bring in O’Neill and possibly remove Holness and go for more creativity.

He may go with Bascome to try to play the ball out from the back (looked ok in pre season other than one dodgy pass) or stick with the two in the middle that finished on Wednesday.

Hatfield and Rivers was a surprisingly good combination.

That would mean bringing in Donawa but it sounds like Alun wants him as a sub so that probably won’t happen. BUT he could play Bell, again I don’t think Alun feels he’s ready for 90 minutes.

All leads to a potentially interesting line up. Watch him keep Holness and Hatfield and make me look like a fool :)

Opinions are what make football great :)