Four signings confirmed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Four signings confirmed

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Donawa, Heaton, Bell and Omar all signed up, we’re just awaiting international and FA clearance.

Well done Alun! Excellent pre season recruitment that has left us with a solid 20 man squad on a lower budget than TW’s! :clap:

bga

Re: Four signings confirmed

Post by bga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:00 pm
Donawa, Heaton, Bell and Omar all signed up, we’re just awaiting international and FA clearance.

Well done Alun! Excellent pre season recruitment that has left us with a solid 20 man squad on a lower budget than TW’s! :clap:
And Glover gone left by mutual consent. Shame that TW and AW could not develop him. Signed for nothing and left for nothing so we broke even!

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Superb news, absolutely superb. By my reckoning that means the squad must look like the following:

Elliott/Hall
Trotman/Laing/Galbraith/Heaton/Watson/Liddle
Atkinson/Hatfield/Holness/Wheatley/Bascombe
Thompson/Rivers/Holmes/Donawa/Bell
Campbell/O’Neill

With Burn the odd man out. Frankly speaking I’d have snapped your hand off for that squad going into the opening game given the team that finished last season. Granted most fans of all clubs get swept away with optimism and rose tinted views on new signings at this time of year but I don’t think anyone can argue that the quality and depth of our squad is so much improved. Couple this with the fact there’s no real pressure on the lads as such (i.e. expectations of promotion with play-offs largely considered a bonus) and I think we have plenty of grounds to be quietly optimistic for the coming season. I’ll happily go on record and say I think we may well surprise a few of the more fancied teams. Bring it on!!!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Fantastic depth in almost all positions in that squad. How much were we overpaying players last season to have ended up with 5 youth teamers on the bench when we have that kind of cover now?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 am

Feel like running down to the bookies to put a bet on for a top 3 finish. Any winnings will go on Beat the budget 2020!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:41 am

bga wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:

And Glover gone left by mutual consent. Shame that TW and AW could not develop him. Signed for nothing and left for nothing so we broke even!
Harsh to say he's not been developed - he's still only 18, probably way ahead of most others his age at this level.

The squad looks well balanced for the first time in ages. Plenty of options and cover in all positions - great work and I look forward to seeing how we get on this season. Hopefully Campbell gets in to some early goals and we can kick on from there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am

bga wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:

let us see if TW signs him?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 am

Of course he will.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Elliott/Hall
Campbell/O’Neill
Considering the squad we had last season, coupled with a budget cut - I'm astounded we've managed to get a squad which looks that deep and seemingly with good quality too. There's a couple of question marks, and a few unknowns, but it looks a well balanced squad with the potential to do well. Assuming we are in budget (and I've no reason to doubt we aren't) then Armstrong has done a remarkable job, and it also raises serious questions as to how much we were overpaying some players last season!

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 am

From my understanding Watson, Liddle and Holmes combined wage is roughly the same as Ainge’s last season. Speaks volumes!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 am

Very happy looking at that squad. We’re in a much better position now than 12 months ago. Can’t wait for it to start now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 am

Superb news, absolutely superb. By my reckoning that means the squad must look like the following:

Elliott/Hall
Campbell/O’Neill

With Burn the odd man out. Frankly speaking I’d have snapped your hand off for that squad going into the opening game given the team that finished last season. Granted most fans of all clubs get swept away with optimism and rose tinted views on new signings at this time of year but I don’t think anyone can argue that the quality and depth of our squad is so much improved. Couple this with the fact there’s no real pressure on the lads as such (i.e. expectations of promotion with play-offs largely considered a bonus) and I think we have plenty of grounds to be quietly optimistic for the coming season. I’ll happily go on record and say I think we may well surprise a few of the more fancied teams. Bring it on!!!
Agree with this with the emphasis on not getting too far ahead of ourselves by over selling anything that can be achieved with what looks like a very capable squad. It was probably fair to say that last year also began with great optimism based on the finish to the previous year, the money generated from the sale of Heaton, and the Marathonbet cash, which resulted in what looked like quality signings such as Ainge. And we still had Styche as a regular goalscorer. When we beat Brackley early on after almost beating Spennymoor, it was probably fair to say that we thought TW had found the formula for a playoff finish. Then it all fell apart. It was clear that Styche and Ainge were difficult to play together as they had different needs to be effective. The midfield were lacking as Wheatley wasn't well and Hughes wasn't capable, and we had defenders and a goalkeeper who never seemed to play to their potential as early season errors knocked their confidence.

Armstrong has the benefit of starting from a lesser position. He is the new man, so has no baggage to queer his pitch and will have a lot more understanding from the fans if it takes a bit of time to get things right. He probably has had less money to spend, so has had to be more circumspect about his planning and signings. But the benefit has been to cool expectation and be prepared to give the team a chance. It has also seen a much more measured approach to signing players. Whilst a good number have come from Blyth with known qualities, the rest of the team has been assembled rather more thoughtfully than last season with signings being brought in where there was an identifiable hole in the squad. Last season felt a bit like a person who had just won the lottery and was out on a spending spree buying up many bejewelled items without thinking what use they would be and where we would put them, and, as it turned out, quite a few of these trinkets were made of paste.

If we can get through that first intense month or so with a even or slightly better record then all will be well, and it seems that we have enough capacity in the squad to face this initial period with the confidence that we can rotate the squad and still have a more than capable set of players on the field.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am

on paper that squad is looking very good. lets see how it does on the pitch.

delighted and surprised to see Josh Heaton back - hope for him and us he's just as good as when he left us...

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Jonny Madison has signed for Port Vale.. Hope he proves the Darlo doom mongers wrong🤛

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:29 pm

Elliott/Hall
Campbell/O’Neill
Have you not missed off young Holliday as I'm sure he was on the squad photo.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:09 pm

quakerste wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:29 pm

Elliott/Hall
Campbell/O’Neill
Have you not missed off young Holliday as I'm sure he was on the squad photo.
Yep he was. Probably be on dual registration I guess this season. But is the right back if anything happens to Trots