Josh Heaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:49 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:46 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Really wondering where tez fits into this equation mind. Pretty sure liddle will be our starting left back.

Nice problem to have though.
Can imagine Laing, Heaton & Galbraith being rotated. Liddle & Watson to cover LB, Trotman at right-back (but bare in mind that we have no cover for Luke meaning one of Watson or Liddle will have to swap across like they did at Blyth).

Burn clearly isn’t rated, and rightly so.
Atkinson covers RB and we have the young lad who’s had plenty of involvement in preseason. Also I’m sure someone like Wheatley could slot in if desperate (once fit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atkinson could, but from what I’ve seen we are weaker when he isn’t in the middle.

Holliday has good potential but isn’t yet NLN standard.

I don’t think Wheatley has ever played RB either.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:54 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
Really wondering where tez fits into this equation mind. Pretty sure liddle will be our starting left back.

Can imagine Laing, Heaton & Galbraith being rotated. Liddle & Watson to cover LB, Trotman at right-back (but bare in mind that we have no cover for Luke meaning one of Watson or Liddle will have to swap across like they did at Blyth).

Atkinson covers RB and we have the young lad who’s had plenty of involvement in preseason. Also I’m sure someone like Wheatley could slot in if desperate (once fit)

The young lad, Cameron Holliday, is already impressing as a natural replacement for Luke when he is absent for international duty or is injured.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:11 pm

en passant wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:54 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

The young lad, Cameron Holliday, is already impressing as a natural replacement for Luke when he is absent for international duty or is injured.
It would be good if we could get him on a dual-registration with a team below us in the mean time.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:55 pm
If he has signed (which based on his tweet it certainly looks like he has) and gets back to the levels he was at in his previous spell, then our defence is looking superb. Laing has looked very good so far, Watson too, and we know Galbraith is solid.

The only thing the squad appears to be missing is a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker, which of course aren't easily found! Hopefully Campbell comes good on that front - he's certainly a talented footballer.
I agree with this however the forward line of Thompson, Campbell, O'Neill and Rivers was frightening today! With Holmes and Bell as options on the bench, I feel like we will score plenty!
I'd rather have numerous players who might get 10 goals, than one who would get 20+. Makes us far harder to play against and if that one player gets injured you're in trouble.

Thompson, Campbell, Rivers, Holmes getting 40 between them would be great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Oh I'm sure they will score a decent number of goals between them. Just commenting on the one obvious 'weakness' in the squad is the lack of a striker who's proven at this level . We may not actually need a striker like that, or we may already have one in waiting in Campbell. If it can all come together going forwards, however that may happen, then I'm quietly optimistic of a decent season. Which after last years fiasco, a decent season would be a huge step in the right direction.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm saying this now, will take being shot down later....

Campbell will score 20 goals this season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:27 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 pm
I'm saying this now, will take being shot down later....

Campbell will score 20 goals this season.
*Screenshots, saves for posterity* ;)

But in all seriousness, from the couple of pre-season games I've seen, he's clearly got the potential to be a class above in this division. His pace and movement could be deadly.

However, it's not unfair to point out he has struggled in the last few seasons. The league is a step up in intensity from pre-season so I hope people don't get on his back if he starts slowly.

Personally, I think Rivers will be our top-scorer this season, but as Spyman says, if most of the front four are chipping in with goals, that's good enough for me.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm

I've just got a feeling about this one. He's not been I his proper position during the last few seasons, and yes the league is a step up in intensity and he's not a big bloke, but he seems to have a brain to be in the right place in the box.

I agree about goals coming from all over, but I think Campbell has feet that are full of them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Armstrong has already said Campbell needs to readjust to playing a a centre forward after a few seasons being mainly used out wide. Totally different movement and positioning required.

Sounds like he's doing the right things in pre-season and just needs to add the goals now.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Heaton to be playing for us again. Really hope we can find a way of signing him, as it would be a massive boost and upgrade for our defence. Clearly the lad wants to come back, let's hope this happens.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:29 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am
Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Heaton to be playing for us again. Really hope we can find a way of signing him, as it would be a massive boost and upgrade for our defence. Clearly the lad wants to come back, let's hope this happens.
Reading between the lines it appears that he may have already signed for us.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am
If need be we can fire up boost the budget again to cover any shortfall he's too good a player not to take the chance. At least we would have something to sell on if someone came calling later on.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:45 am

I,ll be in for that should it be called upon. As fan owners we must as far as possible keep contributing to move the club forward.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Not a bad bit of business, selling him for £75k and getting him back a year later for nothing.

If he can pick up where he left off he may well make us another £75k down the road.

DC

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Josh Heaton

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Thought we got about 25k for him as he didnt hit add ons / appearences, might be wrong?

Either way its a great bit of business.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Campbell’s situation is very similar to that of Mark Beck’s when we signed him.

Been in the football league, bereft of confidence, previous club fans not saying very positive things about him, him dropping down a few levels to look to resurrect his career.

Turned out that Beck was actually an outstanding player at our level and has done well moving up another level. We got a great season out of him and made a very tidy profit and he left us completely transformed.

If that can be replicated with Campbell everyone’s a winner.

As for Heaton, if we do sign him it’s a massive coup, massive.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Gow9900 wrote:Campbell’s situation is very similar to that of Mark Beck’s when we signed him.

Been in the football league, bereft of confidence, previous club fans not saying very positive things about him, him dropping down a few levels to look to resurrect his career.

Turned out that Beck was actually an outstanding player at our level and has done well moving up another level. We got a great season out of him and made a very tidy profit and he left us completely transformed.

Campbell was hugely rated as a teenager at Newcastle. I'm sure he made a couple of Premiership/Championship starts, didn't he?

Whilst Beck was very good, I think Campbell could be better. A lot depends on how he copes with the physicality I suppose, as well as how we use him, being so small.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Gow9900 wrote:Campbell’s situation is very similar to that of Mark Beck’s when we signed him.

Did we actually make any money on Beck? Thought he’d left at the end of his contract

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Did we actually make any money on Beck? Thought he’d left at the end of his contract

DarlingtonFC wrote:Darlington striker Mark Beck has today been transferred to Harrogate Town for an undisclosed fee.

Mark signed for us in the summer of 2016 and was our top scorer in our debut season in the Vanarama National League North with 18 goals in 41 appearances. He gained the distinction of being the last player to score for us at our previous ground, Heritage Park, and the first to score for us at our new ground, Blackwell Meadows.

Mark, who has expressed a strong desire to move back into full time football, leaves with our very best wishes.

Darlington manager Tommy Wright said; “Things happened quickly over the weekend. Mark has a release clause in his contract that Harrogate activated.”

We would like to wish Mark all the best in his future career.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:04 am

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:30 pm

DarlingtonFC wrote:Darlington striker Mark Beck has today been transferred to Harrogate Town for an undisclosed fee.

Mark signed for us in the summer of 2016 and was our top scorer in our debut season in the Vanarama National League North with 18 goals in 41 appearances. He gained the distinction of being the last player to score for us at our previous ground, Heritage Park, and the first to score for us at our new ground, Blackwell Meadows.

Mark, who has expressed a strong desire to move back into full time football, leaves with our very best wishes.

Darlington manager Tommy Wright said; “Things happened quickly over the weekend. Mark has a release clause in his contract that Harrogate activated.”

We would like to wish Mark all the best in his future career.
:thumbup:

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 am

If we have/could sign Josh Heaton i would be very happy.

Burn really needs sorting out with a move. He clearly hasn't made the transition to P/T football at all well.

Arseendoffit

Post by Arseendoffit » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 pm

Harrogate have just allowed a centre half to leave and it doesn't seem like they are keen on Heaton so I don't see him ending up anywhere else.
If he does sign it will give AA a selection headache as he seems to have penciled in Laing as his 1st choice centre back.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Arseendoffit wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 pm
Harrogate have just allowed a centre half to leave and it doesn't seem like they are keen on Heaton so I don't see him ending up anywhere else.
If he does sign it will give AA a selection headache as he seems to have penciled in Laing as his 1st choice centre back.
It's been a long time since we've had serious competition at centre back. I also like the fact that Josh contacted Armstrong to offer his services. It shows how he loves the club and he's very keen to come back. :thumbup:

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:07 pm
Arseendoffit wrote:
It's been a long time since we've had serious competition at centre back. I also like the fact that Josh contacted Armstrong to offer his services. It shows how he loves the club and he's very keen to come back. :thumbup:
..........or that he wants a job and his options were running out with the season so close? I personally think we are are pretty well off at the centre of Defence I'd prefer any spare money to be spent on on a striking option.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:50 pm

bga wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:07 pm
Arseendoffit wrote:
..........or that he wants a job and his options were running out with the season so close? I personally think we are are pretty well off at the centre of Defence I'd prefer any spare money to be spent on on a striking option.
Let us go with AA whatever he thinks is best for the club, he seems to have made some pretty astute signings so far so every confidence in what he decides.Personally I would get him signed asap before another club takes a punt, at 22 he can only get better.No brainer for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 pm

I think if we'd sorted Burn and Glover to move on it would make this easier. I've not seen anything about them for a while.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:10 pm

Both available for loan.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:52 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 pm
I think if we'd sorted Burn and Glover to move on it would make this easier. I've not seen anything about them for a while.
I don't see how we can sign Heaton with Burn still on the payroll unless we use some of Boris Johnson's magic money tree?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 pm

We've had chaos before bga so no thanks! Cheers Andy

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:02 pm

My guess he will be back and likely take a lower wage than before. Confidence likely low after St Mirren with few games so get him back fit firing on all cylinders and you never know we might sell him on again. Always thought he was destined for higher level football.