Halifax Friendly Now at Blackwell Meadows

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Halifax Friendly Now at Blackwell Meadows

Post by H1987 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 am

100% Halifax.

I doubt many will in a rush to come back after that somewhat shambolic day.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 pm

I'd be surprised if they bring 20 or 30 to the game.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 am

H1987 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 am
100% Halifax.

I doubt many will in a rush to come back after that somewhat shambolic day.
Shambolic for who? The Halifax fans have no reason not to come back. They had so much space they were strung out along the fence like washing line!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Should have won that one but the most worrying thing was Atkinson's ankle injury after he was caught in a challenge. He hobbled away on crutches and it could well be more than a short-term thing.

Donawa was a real handful in the first half, O'Neill showed promise and Hatfield was his usual busy self. We did knock the ball about well at times.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Did anyone hear a crowd figure given out?

I heard nothing however that's no surprise at my age :lol:

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Match report on the official site says 549

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd be surprised if they bring 20 or 30 to the game.
How many did they bring Pete ??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Decent enough game today, went with a 4-4-2 rather than the recent 4-2-3-1.

Missing Galbraith, Holmes and Rivers showed the current squad depth isn't great but that's nothing we don't already know. The biggest disappointment of the day was Atkinson's injury, hopefully it's not too bad but he headed straight to the hospital for an x-ray after the game ended and was on crutches.

Donawa was a decent option on the right, his pace excellent and he had the Halifax full back worried, we put a few crosses in from that side but the old problem of no one winning headers.

O'Neill looked reasonable enough without doing anything that stood out and Campbell's finish was decent.

Pre-season is hard to make out how it's going, we look ok without looking like we will worry the top 5 or so teams.

Good to hear Wheatley played 45 mins or so v's Richmond, we may need him to play more of a part if Atkinson is out injured.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 pm

It was good to see Campbell get a goal as he continued to give a good account of himself and was probably unlucky not to get another. I liked what I saw of Donawa, O'Neill and Bell. Bascome had a shaky start, making the horrible pass that led to their first goal, but he came back strongly in the second half, hitting the bar. But the stand out performer was Will Hatfield, filling that gritty midfield role that we were crying out for last season. Thought we looked good throughout the game, and were particularly dominant in the second half, but still need to find the end product to all that good approach work. And we let in a very poor goal at the death that they really didn't deserve. But if you don't take your chances it doesn't matter how good you look. We badly need someone to become that cool finisher that you can always rely on to score.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:17 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd be surprised if they bring 20 or 30 to the game.
How many did they bring Pete ??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Impossible to say, as they were spread in different parts of the ground, but I'd guess 30 or so. Thought we played really well and we were very unlucky to lose against a poor Halifax side. Thought Donava was superb and he looks a brilliant option on the right. Looking forward to seeing us at Northallerton on Tuesday evening.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am

Looking at the highlights I think it was Donawa who made the horrendous pass. Also, Atkinson's injury looked more like a metatarsal the way he went down, although it was horribly reminiscent of Sam Muggleton's incident.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:46 am

A Halifax fan wrote that the best triallist on the pitch was Donawa and he would also try to sign the player who controlled everything who he thinks was called "Tommo" :D, Hands off!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:03 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Looking at the highlights I think it was Donawa who made the horrendous pass. Also, Atkinson's injury looked more like a metatarsal the way he went down, although it was horribly reminiscent of Sam Muggleton's incident.
It was Bascome who made the horrendous pass for the first goal.

Out of the triallists, Donawa was definitely the most impressive for me. Not convinced by Bascome, although he was asked to play deeper, which I don’t think is his strength. However he’s not had much of a break this summer, playing in the Gold Cup for Bermuda (same for Donawa to be fair).

Bell looked threatening enough when he came on but didn’t have much time to make an impact. Similar for Holness and can’t really comment on Cedwyn Scott as he had little to do.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:41 am

I’m not convinced by Bascome either, he seems a bit sluggish and lightweight.

Also, how crap are the Rugby Club? The club clock, their club clock, is still not telling the right time - how difficult is it to organise someone to wind it up/reset it, or fix it? Either that or brick it up, as to me it’s just a advertisement to their ineptness and slapdash attitude. Grrrrrr....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:04 am

Yes, the clock really winds me up too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 am

Other than a 5 minute spell in the first half when he gave the ball away very cheaply 2/3 times, one for the goal, I thought Bascombe had a decent match. Always looking for the ball and played some very good balls other than that 5 minute spell.

It’s the first time I’ve seen us preseason and overall I was very impressed. Campbell links up play very well and Donawa is worth another look although his crossing could be better. Hatfield is like the energiser bunny, it doesn’t matter if it was the first or last minute he just kept on going. Also wasn’t that impressed with Bell when he came on, but im not going to judge him on just a 5/10 minute spell.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:33 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:41 am
I’m not convinced by Bascome either, he seems a bit sluggish and lightweight.

Also, how crap are the Rugby Club? The club clock, their club clock, is still not telling the right time - how difficult is it to organise someone to wind it up/reset it, or fix it? Either that or brick it up, as to me it’s just a advertisement to their ineptness and slapdash attitude. Grrrrrr....
I think that one of our staff coming into the bar after the game to tell the “manageress” that there was no hot water in the showers out trumps your clock.Absolute Micky Mouse outfit. :thumbdown:

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 am
Other than a 5 minute spell in the first half when he gave the ball away very cheaply 2/3 times, one for the goal, I thought Bascombe had a decent match. Always looking for the ball and played some very good balls other than that 5 minute spell.

It’s the first time I’ve seen us preseason and overall I was very impressed. Campbell links up play very well and Donawa is worth another look although his crossing could be better. Hatfield is like the energiser bunny, it doesn’t matter if it was the first or last minute he just kept on going. Also wasn’t that impressed with Bell when he came on, but im not going to judge him on just a 5/10 minute spell.
Bell is 17, he did alright yesterday - I don’t particularly think he looked unimpressive.

Maybe when AA is referring to comments made on social-media, and it having an impact on players, this is what he is alluding too.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Err I said I wasn’t going to just judge him on a 5/10 minute spell.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:58 pm

You also said he was unimpressive, which he wasn’t.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm

So does that mean we can’t have opinions on a message board however innocuous those comments are. It’s not as if I said he was useless and shouldn’t be given more of a chance. The rest of my post was very positive even saying that I thought one of our players had a decent match even though Gramps savaged him in his post by saying he wasn’t convinced by him. I took that comment to mean he was the worst player he had ever seen in a Darlo shirt and John Woolnough should be sacked for suggesting we give him a chance in the first place.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Bascombe was to blame for the first goal with a sloppy pass, but I thought he looked better the longer the game went on and he had a good second half until he was substituted.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm

We all see games differently, I thought Bascombe had a good game, used the ball well and made some excellent long passes, also a nats nacker aways from a brilliant goal. Yes his pass was intercepted and resulted in a goal, but once you start the blame game at this level of football there’s something wrong.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm
We all see games differently, I thought Bascombe had a good game, used the ball well and made some excellent long passes, also a nats nacker aways from a brilliant goal. Yes his pass was intercepted and resulted in a goal, but once you start the blame game at this level of football there’s something wrong.
Fans always need a target for their abuse.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Who’s abusing anyone? Some people have pointed out they’re not convinced by Bascombe, some say they thought he played well. Just about everyone has said he was at fault for the goal. That’s not abuse, it’s fact, Armstrong said it in his interview.

Darlogramps

Halifax Friendly Now at Blackwell Meadows

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:Who’s abusing anyone? Some people have pointed out they’re not convinced by Bascombe, some say they thought he played well. Just about everyone has said he was at fault for the goal. That’s not abuse, it’s fact, Armstrong said it in his interview.
To some fans, anything that’s not “Every player is wonderful, they do everything amazingly” is classed as abuse.

Personally think loan_star’s comment is quite confusing. There’s been nothing abusive about Bascome in this thread so no idea why he’s brought the word “abuse” into it. Perhaps he can elaborate.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Its a common theme, someone gets off to a bad start (i.e. Stockport away) and people make their judgement from that and will jump on any little mistake he makes to back up that view. There is always someone who is the target for this. I could easily name at least one for every season I have attended matches. The fact that some have said he was rubbish despite apparently only making one mistake backs this up.
Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm
So does that mean we can’t have opinions on a message board however innocuous those comments are. It’s not as if I said he was useless and shouldn’t be given more of a chance. The rest of my post was very positive even saying that I thought one of our players had a decent match even though Gramps savaged him in his post by saying he wasn’t convinced by him. I took that comment to mean he was the worst player he had ever seen in a Darlo shirt and John Woolnough should be sacked for suggesting we give him a chance in the first place.
Perhaps Gramps you should answer the criticism of you in this instead of picking up on a fact that fans always need a whipping boy to have a pop at. To be fair I think he got the wrong end of the stick with your post as it happens but as you always like to correct people then maybe you should put him right.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 pm

I thought as those statements were quite obviously over the top and ridiculous, people would realise my post was aimed at Quakers83, obviously not.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Oh and NO ONE on this thread had said Bascombe, Bell or anyone else is rubbish.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 pm
I thought as those statements were quite obviously over the top and ridiculous, people would realise my post was aimed at Quakers83, obviously not.
My original comment wasn't aimed at you either, just pointing out the fact that some players get targeted so any little mistake gets amplified.