Darlington away vs Bishop Auckland

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington away vs Bishop Auckland

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am

That’s perhaps the biggest difference in terms of the team this season’s squad, you know pretty much already what our first team XI will be. Compared to last season, I don’t think TW ever properly knew what he wanted to do. Or he had an idea around playing three at the back with passing football, but no idea how to achieve that. We never had a settled starting XI.

AA at least has an idea in mind and has brought in players he thinks will fit that. Whether it works and whether it remains settled is still to be seen, and we won’t know until we’re well into September at least.

But it’s refreshing to see AA has a plan and the players to fit that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Re: Darlington away vs Bishop Auckland

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 am

Looking on Soccerbase, Luke/Lucas Bell is with Sunderland U18s. Has he been released, therefore if we signed him it would be similar to Joe Wheatley's situation, or is he registered with them, so it would be a loan?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Well. He wasn't on Sunderlands retained list - but they didn't explicitly list those released. I'd guess he wouldn't be on trial if he was retained, so i'd assume like Wheatley he's a free agent. We should be hoovering young players like him from the big 3 up. Missing out on Mondal from Boro last year was an error.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm

I didn't think Burn had a bad game last night, made a rash challenge which was triggered by an earlier elbow but he looked comfortable on the ball and distributed it well.

Cameron certainly didn't look out of place in the first half, making some great runs and he's very confident and vocal for his age!

Glover looks like he's bulked up over the summer and came on and did well, spraying some nice passes about.

Out of the trialists I'd certainly sign Bell and either Holiness or Bascome for cover in the middle once Wheatley comes back. Still not sure on Tyrell or Scott, out of the two I feel Tyrell would be a better option as he's more of a target man.

Donawa certainly has the pace but lacked the end product last night but that's only the first game I've seen him play so it's too soon for me to judge.

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 pm

In the short cameo performances we've seen from Glover since he came here he clearly has ability. As he's obviously getting stronger with age he potentially could be a really good player for us. If we do let him go elsewhere I hope we have a sell on clause included.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Glover gave the ball away too many times last night, we also weren’t as disciplined in the middle second half than first. Decent technically but we have at least 3 centre midfielders ahead of him at the moment with AA looking to bring another in.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 pm

[quote=Darlo_CR post_id=448665 time=1563280227 user_id=1812

Out of the trialists I'd certainly sign Bell and either Holiness or Bascome for cover in the middle once Wheatley comes back. Still not sure on Tyrell or Scott, out of the two I feel Tyrell would be a better option as he's more of a target man.
[/quote]

Did Holiness play for Vatican Rangers.?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 pm

banktopp wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 pm
[quote=Darlo_CR post_id=448665 time=1563280227 user_id=1812

Did Holiness play for Vatican Rangers.?
[/quote]
:lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm

banktopp wrote:[quote=Darlo_CR post_id=448665 time=1563280227 user_id=1812

Did Holiness play for Vatican Rangers.?[/quote]

I think they’ve just signed Tom Pope and José Fonte.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Glover gave the ball away too many times last night, we also weren’t as disciplined in the middle second half than first. Decent technically but we have at least 3 centre midfielders ahead of him at the moment with AA looking to bring another in.
I think thats sightly harsh, he gave the ball away just as much as Hatfield did and he had a good game. Judging by Glovers tweet, he may well be here for the season and good luck to the lad if he is.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Glover did well for the majority of the half unfortunately he had a spell of 5 minutes when he couldn't do a thing right. AA got a little frustrated with him at one point and threw a water bottle in the dugout area.

Personally thought the lad had a good game up until this point. Seems to look a few inches taller and has filled out slightly.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm
I think thats sightly harsh, he gave the ball away just as much as Hatfield did and he had a good game. Judging by Glovers tweet, he may well be here for the season and good luck to the lad if he is.
I’m not being harsh; Hatfield may have given the ball away as many times but he did so much higher up the pitch. Glover lost it about 3 times & left us exposed.

Bishop also got much more joy through the centre second half.

Like I said, technically very good and he clearly has talent, but it’s a No.10 in AA’s system or not at all, IMO.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 pm

How old is Glover now? 18?

Still extremely young and wouldn't expect him to play with the same discipline as someone with several years more experience.

Clearly the boy has ability, just depends how far up the pecking order we need him to be to make him worth having financially, but of course his wage may be worth carrying if he can turn into a saleable asset.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 am

I agree with an earlier post about Glover. I felt that 80% of his play was very good. Even made a couple of great forward runs but the did give the ball away which left us exposed 2/3 times. Once because he waited for the ball rather than going to it, which Armstrong was fuming about. It gave them counter attacks which we can't present to better teams. Unfortunately I didn't think Glover had the pace to get back and recover. Hard one to call on him. He will get better, but does he have enough attributes

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 pm

TW said he was one of the most talented young players he had ever worked with and would go all the way in the pro game. He said Glover would be breaking into the first team squad last season. However he hardly used him even when we were down to the bare bones and then brought young loan players from elsewhere before sending him out on loan.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Perhaps he was protecting him? Could see he hadn't physically matured enough, and throwing him into a struggling team would have done him more harm than good.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm

LoidLucan wrote:TW said he was one of the most talented young players he had ever worked with and would go all the way in the pro game. He said Glover would be breaking into the first team squad last season. However he hardly used him even when we were down to the bare bones and then brought young loan players from elsewhere before sending him out on loan.
Things change and players develop at different rates. You can sign a 15 year old believing he has massive potential only for him not to develop physically at the rate you'd hoped so you step him back a bit. Totally understandable and hardly something to beat Wright or the player over.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm not beating anyone, just pointing out what was said and how it worked out. He's now spent more than a year and a half as a teenager trucking up and down the land for training etc with a small part-time club in the North-east with hardly any game time even when we barely had enough players. I don't think he's got a great deal out of it when you look at how it's worked out and now his mentor has gone.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 pm
Perhaps he was protecting him? Could see he hadn't physically matured enough, and throwing him into a struggling team would have done him more harm than good.
Anyone who went to Hereford away would see why

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:27 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not beating anyone, just pointing out what was said and how it worked out. He's now spent more than a year and a half as a teenager trucking up and down the land for training etc with a small part-time club in the North-east with hardly any game time even when we barely had enough players. I don't think he's got a great deal out of it when you look at how it's worked out and now his mentor has gone.
You say 'how it worked out' as if at whatever age he is (17/18?) it's the end of the road.

I'd expect him to develop a lot more in the next 3 or 4 years than the last 3 or 4.

DC

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Tyrell playing for Bishop tonight has scored the opening goal.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:04 am

quakerste wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:43 pm
Tyrell playing for Bishop tonight has scored the opening goal.
This did make me wonder if we had lost interest in Tyrell and this had allowed him a chance to make his case with Bishops, but I see that in today's preview of the Halifax game that he is expected to feature. Hopefully that goal for Bishops will get him firing for Darlo.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:07 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 pm
Anyone who went to Hereford away would see why
Can't say I remember much of that game :roll: :D