Scouting Report - Motherwell Game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quaker85
Team Supported: Darlington

Scouting Report - Motherwell Game

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm

I showed the highlights v Motherwell to a pal of mine, who is a next opponent analyst in Scotland.

He said: "Darlington are really way off it fitness wise, even for a first game and they were also bullied physically by what is a strong but quite young Motherwell line up that are not as good on paper as they were even 12 months ago.
I liked the bleach-blonde number 4 for Darlo. He is a steady box to box player with a good instinct for the game.

The goalkeeper is wildly out of shape and you can actually see a pot belly poking out at a corner kick. He is also really right footed and playing against them on such a rock hard pitch, I'd want to make sure the keeper saw lots of the ball on his left side, making the defenders play back to him, sharply.

The pitch looks great but is in poor condition. It badly needs water and lots of it. That's why you can see so many shots flying wide and off target. The ball isn't sitting up to be hit as it does on a well-watered pitch.

I'd be worried Darlington are struggling for cash, underlying. That's usually one of the false economies chairmen employ.

This was just a mismatch between two teams at different times of their preparation. Hard to judge but more black marks than positives for Darlington on this showing. A few are way out of condition and that's anomalous nowadays."

I was a little surprised by the negativity especially as I thought we looked decent but it’s always interesting to see what others think. Especially a pro scout. Perhaps it’s also a sign of how bad things had become last season that we all thought that Saturday was decent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE93

Re: Scouting Report - Motherwell Game

Post by JE93 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm
I showed the highlights v Motherwell to a pal of mine, who is a next opponent analyst in Scotland.

He said: "Darlington are really way off it fitness wise, even for a first game and they were also bullied physically by what is a strong but quite young Motherwell line up that are not as good on paper as they were even 12 months ago.
I liked the bleach-blonde number 4 for Darlo. He is a steady box to box player with a good instinct for the game.

The goalkeeper is wildly out of shape and you can actually see a pot belly poking out at a corner kick. He is also really right footed and playing against them on such a rock hard pitch, I'd want to make sure the keeper saw lots of the ball on his left side, making the defenders play back to him, sharply.

The pitch looks great but is in poor condition. It badly needs water and lots of it. That's why you can see so many shots flying wide and off target. The ball isn't sitting up to be hit as it does on a well-watered pitch.

I'd be worried Darlington are struggling for cash, underlying. That's usually one of the false economies chairmen employ.

This was just a mismatch between two teams at different times of their preparation. Hard to judge but more black marks than positives for Darlington on this showing. A few are way out of condition and that's anomalous nowadays."

I was a little surprised by the negativity especially as I thought we looked decent but it’s always interesting to see what others think. Especially a pro scout. Perhaps it’s also a sign of how bad things had become last season that we all thought that Saturday was decent?

Interesting, but perhaps harsh to judge a part time team after 4 sessions against a full time team at the end of their pre season, also playing in 23/24 degree heat. I do think fitness was a big difference last season, but Its something which will come with games and is hard to replicate outside of a 90 minute match.

Blonde lad I assume is Atkinson? Which sounds promising.

Pitch completely agree. No fun for a forward when the ball is bobbling everywhere on a dry surface. It really needs irrigation do dampen it down a bit.

Another tough test tomorrow night against a good Harrogate team, and on 4g as well which will really show where fitness levels are. Hated playing on 4g, very soft and energy sapping surface. Add to that it will be a good defensive test Harrogate have Beck and Stead as strikers and some decent wingers. Think they like to get the ball into the box see if the keeper and CB's can deal with a bit of rough and tumble.

Hopefully we put in a good performance tomorrow night, then perhaps we can show what we can do in a more attacking sense against Bishop on Monday. But think I'll start really taking notice of our performances when we get to the Boro U'23s and Whitby games. Hopefully by then we'll have got the match fitness we need to start the season and all first teamers will have had more time to practise the shape in and out of possession.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Number 4 was Hatfield who ... isn't blonde.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Sounds like a croc of s!!!! To me

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Sounds like a croc of s!!!! To me
Could not agree more. What a load of tripe.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:51 pm

I'd expect our players to be better if they were: in a league where the winners and some teams below played in the champions and Europa leagues, were paid almost £1,000 a week, had a full pre-season under their belts and were full time professionals. Honestly! What on earth was he expecting? His eyesight may be poor, he's not blonde, he's bald!
Your mate's name isn't Polar Bear or Spen, is it?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
The pitch looked terrible the moment the highlights came on. The grass is yellow for one that is usually a sign it is dry I didn’t need to see shots flying wide to tell me that much!
Quaker85 wrote:
I mean...a google search would answer this. Doesn’t even take insider knowledge to know who does the pitch etc and that the pitch care isn’t some economy that our chairman is playing with.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Does he work for Berwick Rangers? :)

I thought the lads played well, yes some fitness needed but compared to last season we are light years ahead!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Your pal sounds like a knobhead.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Just sounds like someone who analyses full time teams on a regular basis but probably doesn't watch any part-time football.

Sounds like he knows his stuff but at a completely different level, so his opinion probably isn't particularly relevant. Fitness levels among part-timers are going to be way below those training 5 days a week, regardless of what point in their pre-season they're at.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloMoose

Post by DarloMoose » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Possibly one of the most inaccurate reports of a game I have ever read, rubbish 🙄
DARLO TILL I DIE

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Spyman wrote:Just sounds like someone who analyses full time teams on a regular basis but probably doesn't watch any part-time football.

Sounds like he knows his stuff but at a completely different level, so his opinion probably isn't particularly relevant. Fitness levels among part-timers are going to be way below those training 5 days a week, regardless of what point in their pre-season they're at.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well he watches a lot of lower league Scottish football so I’m not sure that point is valid.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 am

I'm not overly worried about any perceived lack of fitness at this stage, they'd only had what, 4 training sessions and then straight into a game against a pro outfit? Seems unreasonable criticism to me.

I'd loved to have read some scouting assessments for us last year though... the fitness comments in particular. Maybe we're not up to scratch fitness wise just yet, but it just looks we are because it was absolutely chronic last season!

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 am

H1987 wrote:I'm not overly worried about any perceived lack of fitness at this stage, they'd only had what, 4 training sessions and then straight into a game against a pro outfit? Seems unreasonable criticism to me.

I'd loved to have read some scouting assessments for us last year though... the fitness comments in particular. Maybe we're not up to scratch fitness wise just yet, but it just looks we are because it was absolutely chronic last season!
We would have looked more unfit compared to a full time team on its last pre season game though, im not worried at this stage about fitness.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Well exactly. That’s what I said myself.

We could also, at the same time, look comparatively better than last season, but not quite up to the required standard just yet. We have a few more weeks.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:45 am

I have a follow up if anyone is interested:-

Yeah, I did that for Raith it is a new template. The same one Celtic use as Raith's manager used to be their chief scout. It looks different but the same headings. I wouldn't say I set the bar too high in terms of fitness, that's a basic thing and remember I've seen Arbroath beat Hibs in preseason and Forfar beat Morton. Part time teams beating full time ones.

What I didn't like in the Darlington clips was that the players looked sloppy as a function of not being fit.... tracking across and a team moving in unison as the ball goes left or right should be second nature. Instead the widest player ambles across and his teammates treat supporting him as an afterthought. To be fair, I'd want to see players in the stadium. You need the context and video actually distorts the picture. Anyone signing players off a video is in very dodgy territory.

If you show me some highlights of your team playing at their own level once their games start I'd give you a second assessment that would maybe be more useful. Motherwell are young and fit but I don't think they are much use really as a Premier League side. The side that beat Darlington last season was much, much better.

If anyone wants a copy of the ten page pdf, just PM me. The game v Blackpool featured Andrew Nelson in the no 9 role for Dundee.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:14 pm

We certainly looked pretty fit last night, especially the way we finished against a fulltime team,