Assistant Manager, Alan White

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Assistant Manager, Alan White

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Any word on who our assistant manager is and what role if any there is for Alan White?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

quakerste

Re: Assistant Manager, Alan White

Post by quakerste » Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 pm

I have no doubt we will find out tomorrow night.

jjlewis1k89

Post by jjlewis1k89 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 pm

I imagine he might take control of the academy and AA will bring his assistant from Blyth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 am

I'd be surprised if he was our new assistant manager, as I don't think he showed enough under TW, with issues regarding our defence and players fitness through last season.

bga

Post by bga » Fri May 31, 2019 7:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 am
I'd be surprised if he was our new assistant manager, as I don't think he showed enough under TW, with issues regarding our defence and players fitness through last season.
Ideal person to head up the Academy then?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 am
I'd be surprised if he was our new assistant manager too, Pete, seeing as he's already our assistant manager.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm

Ultimately he wasn’t good enough, like Wright, and shouldn’t be retained just because he is a bit of a cult hero.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm

I dont go for the recruiting people just because they were fan favourites many moons ago, but I hope Alan White is retained in some way, Academy Manager/Coach perhaps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 31, 2019 1:12 pm

murtonquaker wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm
I dont go for the recruiting people just because they were fan favourites many moons ago, but I hope Alan White is retained in some way, Academy Manager/Coach perhaps

Why do you hope he is retained?

Nothing against White but doesn't happen very often that an assistant manager stays when the manager is swapped. Unless the shout is he manages the academy, which if we have the money does need to be moved away at some point from a management link with the first team.

We can't long term have the academy management a reason or affected by a change to the 1st team manager, the fact you worry about losing a manager as the academy loses it's manager isn't something we should be doing (where possible).

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Alan white has been the driving force of the academy, why should he be sidelined there is a job at the academy which is what he is doing for me he has to continue working with the young players in his charge .they trust him and built up an understanding within the academy, my opinion anyway.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm
Alan white has been the driving force of the academy, why should he be sidelined there is a job at the academy which is what he is doing for me he has to continue working with the young players in his charge .they trust him and built up an understanding within the academy, my opinion anyway.
No idea if White has been the driving force, he could well have been but most said Tommy was the driving force behind it, not sure if it was one of them or both. I don't know if the young players trust him either or after just one year this matters massively.

Can we afford him currently at the academy, if Armstrong wants one or two of his own people in as coaches then what do you do?

I can see it being a fine line really, although I do agree the academy generally needs stability to build it up over the years, hence my belief it needs to break off from a 1st team management link. They should work together but if the 1st team manager leaves this should have no effect on the academy.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri May 31, 2019 3:16 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm

Why do you hope he is retained?

Nothing against White but doesn't happen very often that an assistant manager stays when the manager is swapped. Unless the shout is he manages the academy, which if we have the money does need to be moved away at some point from a management link with the first team.

We can't long term have the academy management a reason or affected by a change to the 1st team manager, the fact you worry about losing a manager as the academy loses it's manager isn't something we should be doing (where possible).
I never specifically said retain him as Assistant Manager, as you are right, when a new Manager comes in, he brings his own backroom team with him.

Tommy and Whitey started the Academy, I just think, if it is possible, give him the chance to see through what he started with Tommy.

As for the Assistant Manager Job, I dont really have an opinion on who it should be really

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri May 31, 2019 4:18 pm

onewayup wrote:Alan white has been the driving force of the academy, why should he be sidelined there is a job at the academy which is what he is doing for me he has to continue working with the young players in his charge .they trust him and built up an understanding within the academy, my opinion anyway.
I wouldn’t be too sure... just because you see him at games etc doesn’t make him the driving force. Tommy played a massive part in setting up the Academy to make it as successful as it was first season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm

I thought I’d read somewhere (possibly at a fans forum) that AW wasn’t doing the academy as he didn’t have the right qualifications to run on his own, therefore TW did it. Happy to be corrected

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri May 31, 2019 5:08 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm
I thought I’d read somewhere (possibly at a fans forum) that AW wasn’t doing the academy as he didn’t have the right qualifications to run on his own, therefore TW did it. Happy to be corrected

He took his qualifications at the back end of last season so he should be fully qualified to lead the academy now.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:08 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:00 pm

He took his qualifications at the back end of last season so he should be fully qualified to lead the academy now.
I hope so, Whitey loves Darlo even if AA brings in his own assistant it would be good to see Alan running the Academy again in September. Shame if he’s not offered the job hes been doing for last 12 months.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm

All depends on what White is on and if we can afford him, will he take a pay cut to just be looking after the Academy rather than that and being assistant.

If we could afford it and it's deemed he is doing a good job by the board then continuity in the academy could be a good thing for the club and for the lads.

Is it an area that with time pays for itself, similar to commercial in theory it should be - I see each step as building up our club in terms of in the community and as a business, progressing us towards being ready to go full time (which I think would be a long way away).

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Head of Academy about to be advertised apparently, feel sorry for Whitey TBH as he has to apply for the role. I’m beginning to think the club has a money tree or is this the extra money raised above the target of £80K to pay for other staff. Perhaps SuperLes can confirm?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:06 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm
Head of Academy about to be advertised apparently, feel sorry for Whitey TBH as he has to apply for the role. I’m beginning to think the club has a money tree or is this the extra money raised above the target of £80K to pay for other staff. Perhaps SuperLes can confirm?
Can't blame club for advertising this new role after the criticism given when commercial manager was appointed without job being advertised

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 am

Fuck off Spen.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:21 am

There have been a number of posts suggesting that we simply ignore posts from spen_666. Something we could all aim to follow, Andy?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 am

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm
Clearly me calling you out for lying has upset you somewhat Quakersfan or you wouldn't want me to answer a question when I am just a user name on a message board.

Anyhow I will answer your question - I have no idea, best to ask whoever gave you the info, presume that's the DFCSG board members you keep advising you have been talking to.

Question for you though - Did the DFCSG make this decision and has DJ just as you always say 'had to go along with it'?

I don't know if White has done a good job or has the foresight to drive the Academy forward, I leave that for the Board to decide as I have no info/facts to decide either way. However I do think we should have someone removed form the 1st team if financially possible to run the academy, if that's White and he is the driving force as people have said then great but if it isn't due to a board decison then so be it.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Quakersfan ,is this not just you speculating and hoping you'll be close to getting something right for a change, I think your just taking a punt on what might happen and claiming it as fact heard from a good source.as you usually do.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Quakersfan ,is this not just you speculating and hoping you'll be close to getting something right for a change, I think your just taking a punt on what might happen and claiming it as fact heard from a good source.as you usually do.
Just what I’ve heard that’s all.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Interviews for academy coach will be this week probably. The closing date for applications was last Tuesday so I suspect we'll hear something the back end of this week.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

I know we’ve already made an appointment for the academy, but not sure if he’s part of the team or has taken over to manage it all.