Alun Armstrong

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alun Armstrong

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 am

murtonquaker wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:43 pm
Hopefully we get that play-off position we were promised to get last season
Assume that is tongue in cheek?
divas wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:32 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Excellent, a good CB and CM also required is out and goal scorer and we are good to go
We’re going to need 9/10 players.
Was thinking about this before and what have we got left?

Trotman, Burn, Ainge, Galbraith, Thompson, Wheatley, Elliott, Nicholson?

Based on that we need at least

GK, CB, LB, CM, LM, ST(x2)

And that still wouldn’t give us a matchday squad if 16...
Darlo_CR wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm
To be fair, some of the young lads from the bigger clubs will cost the same as some loan deals these days.
I doubt it. Expect most of our loans were free a young lad from a bigger club will cost something.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 21, 2019 7:11 am

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 am

Get in

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am

What a great start to the day, hopefully a few signings soon

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 am

Excellent news. Two top 10 finishes in this division to his name, and a promotion too suggests a good pedigree at this level.

Provided he’s willing to work with the budget given, then this could be an excellent appointment.

Also, the people running the process deserve huge credit. The last time out, when we appointed Wright, everything seemed really chaotic. This time, from the outside at least, it seems to have been professional and properly done.

Just need a coaching staff and some players now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 am
Excellent news. Two top 10 finishes in this division to his name, and a promotion too suggests a good pedigree at this level.

Provided he’s willing to work with the budget given, then this could be an excellent appointment.

Also, the people running the process deserve huge credit. The last time out, when we appointed Wright, everything seemed really chaotic. This time, from the outside at least, it seems to have been professional and properly done.

Yes - one can't argue with Armstrong's production on the pitch. I have some concerns over some of Armstrong's statements in the press about budgets, but I have faith that questions were asked about this at interview and satisfactory answers were received. Very excited about next season now - what a change from the end of last season.

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am

Darlogramps wrote:

Yes clearly some lessons learned from the past and the addition of John Vickerman and his HR skill set to the board has obviously been a tremendous help in this process

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 am

Could be he’s got a few key players lined up

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 am
That is guaranteed, expect incomings.

Also as mentioned Spenny will be announcing some signings as well by all accounts.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am

The other thing that came across in this whole process is that the club is an attractive proposition and I think most of us probably under-estimated that. This was probably because of the way the recruitment process went last time with us almost seeming to be scrabbling around to try to get someone to take the job after a series of rejections. Then there was a growing sense of pessimism about the club as we struggled to attract and keep our support in a depressing season on and off the pitch.

Some were saying: "Who would take us on?" Well, plenty is the answer. And the quality of candidates this time, such as AA and Bower, proved it. It's a job that well regarded people see as a great opportunity. Already you can sense a some positivity and a chance for the club to move forward instead of backwards.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am

Weirdly I do think we were more attractive this time around. Following Martin Gray after all the success he had wouldn't be a prospect many managers fancied. I think its a bit easier this time around.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 am

Was thinking about this before and what have we got left?

Trotman, Burn, Ainge, Galbraith, Thompson, Wheatley, Elliott, Nicholson?

Based on that we need at least

GK, CB, LB, CM, LM, ST(x2)

And that still wouldn’t give us a matchday squad if 16...
Elliott is not in contract and neither have we offered him one so far - that would be up to the new boss. Glover is still in contract so our squad so far is...

Trotman, Burn, Ainge, Galbraith. Thompson, Wheatley, Glover, Nicholson.

Obviously Burn is useless and Glover just a kid, so we have 5 players in reality. Though 5 good players at least!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue May 21, 2019 9:02 am

Boost the Budget is starting to fly

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am
Darlopartisan wrote:

Also as mentioned Spenny will be announcing some signings as well by all accounts.
Do Spenny know that they are allowed to release players, too? Or are they trying to build the biggest squad in the NLN ;)

As for our squad, would like to see some offers to a couple of loanees and trialists like Holness, assuming they fit with AA's plans of course!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am

TFDM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am
Weirdly I do think we were more attractive this time around. Following Martin Gray after all the success he had wouldn't be a prospect many managers fancied. I think its a bit easier this time around.
I think as well Kev, that last time any prospective candidates would have seen the balance sheet and the chaos we were in re: debts and thought 'No thanks'. Being debt free is probably a massive draw. Also, the knowledge that if you do well on the pitch, the fans will come and you will have more in the budget.

This is why, strangely enough, Tommy was a good appointment at the right time. He helped reduce the debt to 0, set up the academy and make us a more attractive proposition going forward. What happened off the pitch over the last 18 months was almost of more importance than on the pitch.Now we have the right appointment again at the right time and we can get it right on the pitch.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 am

Also, what happens to Whitey? Do we keep him on to run the Academy?

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am
TFDM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am
I think as well Kev, that last time any prospective candidates would have seen the balance sheet and the chaos we were in re: debts and thought 'No thanks'. Being debt free is probably a massive draw. Also, the knowledge that if you do well on the pitch, the fans will come and you will have more in the budget.

This is why, strangely enough, Tommy was a good appointment at the right time. He helped reduce the debt to 0, set up the academy and make us a more attractive proposition going forward. What happened off the pitch over the last 18 months was almost of more importance than on the pitch.Now we have the right appointment again at the right time and we can get it right on the pitch.
Don’t underestimate the impact that advertising the job over the summer has - imo this has been the biggest difference this time around in terms of who actually wants the job. It’s a lot easier to recruit players in the summer with a squad of 8 retained players than it would have been to wheel and deal when TW came in - having to sell the better players and bring in replacements for less money halfway through a season - that was what put people off last time.

TW should be commended for taking that on and stabilising us in what was a very difficult period and the board should be applauded for sticking with TW until the end of the season where recruitment is so much easier.

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 21, 2019 10:39 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 am
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am
Darlopartisan wrote:

Do Spenny know that they are allowed to release players, too? Or are they trying to build the biggest squad in the NLN ;)

As for our squad, would like to see some offers to a couple of loanees and trialists like Holness, assuming they fit with AA's plans of course!

Why release players when you can sell them? We used to do exactly the same to Spennymoor - we’d sign a better player and sell our cast off to Spenny. I’d imagine those leaving Spenny these days will end up being bought by South Shields. Makes financial sense to bring in out of contract lads in for free and sell your current players who are under contract for a fee

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am

how long is his contract?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am
how long is his contract?
4 pages.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:52 am

Great interview with AA on the official site. Ambitious but setting realistic goals.... "I want to be here for the long term. It's a long-term plan. It's not short-term. Everything falls into place for me to come here. I live local, all my family's here, I've got a business just up the road."

On the Boost the Budget cash.... "I'll make sure I bring players in who are value for money".... music to our ears.

It's clear listening to him he's not demanding some chuck-in-the-cash, quick fix but accepts it's a big rebuild job and has bought into the future here long-term to bring the excitement back, win back the fans and go as far as we can.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 pm

Great interview, said all the right things, if we could get a cup run even better; nice to hear he sought advice from Hodgy would love to see him him around occasionally on match days.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm

Just watched the interview. I like the cut of his jib. No grand promises, but ambition is there. Attacking football is probably one way to boost our crowds, along with getting up at the right end of the division. I'm excited.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

divas wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Yes clearly some lessons learned from the past and the addition of John Vickerman and his HR skill set to the board has obviously been a tremendous help in this process
Big difference last time was MG gave the board 48 hours notice mid season and the board then hadn’t ever gone through the whole recruitment process before. Also Armstrong and McGurk were interviewed last time as well which I believe were the front runners this time with Armstrong getting the job.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 pm
Great interview, said all the right things, if we could get a cup run even better; nice to hear he sought advice from Hodgy would love to see him him around occasionally on match days.
Very positive and realistic interview

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Interestingly, Bower has just left Bradford PA. I wonder if we interviewed him, chose AA, and he decided he had still had enough at BPA. He'll surely be on for a decent job wherever he lands next, i'd have been no less happy with him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 21, 2019 4:12 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm
Interestingly, Bower has just left Bradford PA. I wonder if we interviewed him, chose AA, and he decided he had still had enough at BPA. He'll surely be on for a decent job wherever he lands next, i'd have been no less happy with him.
According to the Echo Bower and McGurk were the other short listed candidates.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 pm

And in other news, the wheel has been invented.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Wonder who AA's assistant will be, and if not Alan White then will he be kept on to oversee the academy.Really hope he still has a role at the club.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Bradford's new boss being announced at 7pm. Wonder if Bower's also been in for the Kidderminster job which is still vacant.