New Manager Interviews this week

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo2807
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Two National League North managers that previously played for Darlo? Armstrong and Bower?

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

That must be our second clue!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Two National League North managers that previously played for Darlo? Armstrong and Bower?
Doesn't explicitly say the two NLN managers are also ex-Darlo.

It says two NLN managers, and also that ex-Darlo players are in the frame (so possibly McGurk, for example as well).

But it's not a big leap to work out Bower and Armstrong.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm
Darlo2807 wrote:Two National League North managers that previously played for Darlo? Armstrong and Bower?
Doesn't explicitly say the two NLN managers are also ex-Darlo, but it's not a big leap to work out those two names.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
My mistake, read it as all of the current applicants are ex-Darlington players

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Doesn't explicitly say the two NLN managers are also ex-Darlo, but it's not a big leap to work out those two names.

But I'd be hugely surprised if the two NLN managers weren't Armstrong and Bower. Both have issues at their clubs, and I can't think of anyone else plausible in the division who would leave a NLN club for us.

Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm

That rules out ben clark then
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Bower, Armstrong, McGurk, Aspin, Cummins, Bates, Atkinson and White are all names that could sit with what has been written. Some, obviously, much less likely than others.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

It does say that. It says that the names in contention at this stage have played for Darlo.

So the 2 NLN managers in contention must have played for Darlo - and that only leaves Armstrong and Bower, it literally cannot be anyone else for the NLN managers. Well, unless there are any other NLN managers who have played for Darlo.

But we cannot also rule out a 3rd final interviewee, who of course must have also played for Darlo - who was one of our choices last time? That's right McGurk. Suppose it could also apply to Neil Aspin too as well as a few others.

So, reading the clues Armstrong + Bower = definite, McGurk and/or Aspin = probable.

I'm guessing (but I don't know) that Armstrong will be first choice, though I'd be happy enough with Bower too.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

How do the echo know the front runners? Surely the names going for 2nd interview or even 1st interview should not be disclosed unless they are spying on wherever interviews are takeing place
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Probably has something to do with the fact that it's their job to try to find out the news and be the first to reveal it.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm

shildonlad wrote:How do the echo know the front runners? Surely the names going for 2nd interview or even 1st interview should not be disclosed unless they are spying on wherever interviews are takeing place
Just imagine, a journalist doing his job properly.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm
How do the echo know the front runners? Surely the names going for 2nd interview or even 1st interview should not be disclosed unless they are spying on wherever interviews are takeing place
No names have been disclosed.

The names mentioned on this thread are mere speculation, though pretty concrete speculation given the clues in the article.

Doesn't it happen at most/all clubs that someone from the press gets given a little nugget before any announcement?

I'm actually quite impressed by how secretive the whole process has been this time, literally nothing has been revealed until we're on the verge of appointing, normally nothing stays secret at Darlo.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Personally out of the names suggested I reckon it will be Alun Armstrong he’s unhappy at Blyth so will likely bring his whole team and a raft of players with him. The good news for me is he won’t want to tread water so we should see an exciting season coming up. Personality wise he’s more MG than TW so possibly problems if it all goes tits up but TBH it’s like that for any job when you are appointing a key person.
I may be totally wrong on this but if I’m right a good appointment, not sure what will happen to Academy as he’s very first team focused perhaps we need to keep Whitey on board for the Academy it will be a shame if that goes backwards.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 pm

quakersfan wrote:Personally out of the names suggested I reckon it will be Alun Armstrong he’s unhappy at Blyth so will likely bring his whole team and a raft of players with him. The good news for me is he won’t want to tread water so we should see an exciting season coming up. Personality wise he’s more MG than TW so possibly problems if it all goes tits up but TBH it’s like that for any job when you are appointing a key person.
I may be totally wrong on this but if I’m right a good appointment, not sure what will happen to Academy as he’s very first team focused perhaps we need to keep Whitey on board for the Academy it will be a shame if that goes backwards.
I don’t think the academy can go backwards. It’s not an option for the board. It’s a money making exercise and potential to breed youngsters.

Doesn’t Armstrong own his own academy over shildon industrial estate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:54 pm

If it is AA then what happens to our academy as he has his own which will not benefit our club financially, a bit similar to the setup under MG.No way will DJ make an appointment which will have a detrimental effect on our own academy so not sure how this would work under AA.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Academy will continue as is, we won't revert to an MG style academy.

In reality it needs decoupling from the 1st team manager role if we can at some point soon.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm

D_F_C wrote:
quakersfan wrote:Personally out of the names suggested I reckon it will be Alun Armstrong he’s unhappy at Blyth so will likely bring his whole team and a raft of players with him. The good news for me is he won’t want to tread water so we should see an exciting season coming up. Personality wise he’s more MG than TW so possibly problems if it all goes tits up but TBH it’s like that for any job when you are appointing a key person.
I don’t think the academy can go backwards. It’s not an option for the board. It’s a money making exercise and potential to breed youngsters.

Doesn’t Armstrong own his own academy over shildon industrial estate?

Nah he has an academy based at the georeg reynolds industrial estate

piggy

Post by piggy » Sat May 18, 2019 1:55 am

If it does turn out to be Armstrong, perhaps he could bring in his son Luke on loan. Seems to have done well at Gateshead. Dan Maguire would be good too....

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 am

Would it be possible that's the reason, Alan White has been kept on to run the academy?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

Think I just saw DJ getting on the London train at Bank Top. Probably going down to Wembley so he can announce the new Darlo manager to the world, live on TV. Obvious really, it is so our widely spread fans all get to know at precisely the same time!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 am

piggy wrote:If it does turn out to be Armstrong, perhaps he could bring in his son Luke on loan. Seems to have done well at Gateshead. Dan Maguire would be good too....
Wasn’t he on loan at Accrington Stanley. No way he or boro would allow a loan to us

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 am

Re their current deals, Armstrong has one year left on his Blyth contract, plus a one-year option, while Bower has two years left on his Bradford deal.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am

If they applied for the job and took the job at DFC, and resigned from their current jobs, would we still have to pay compensation? I guess their current employers could refuse to let them go in theory, although in practice none would.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 18, 2019 8:05 am

We paid an agreed amount of money to Nuneaton when we took TW.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am
If they applied for the job and took the job at DFC, and resigned from their current jobs, would we still have to pay compensation? I guess their current employers could refuse to let them go in theory, although in practice none would.
Perhaps we'll agree to play a pre-season friendly with them. :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat May 18, 2019 8:20 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am
Perhaps we'll agree to play a pre-season friendly with them. :roll:
Then renege on that promise, like York City?

MinistryOfSillyWalks

Post by MinistryOfSillyWalks » Sat May 18, 2019 8:24 am

The way the NE article is written it seems that 2 of those in contention are bosses of National League North clubs, but not necessarily all of the people in contention... yet they all seem to of played for us before.

I wonder if Aspin is in the frame? Do we think he'd be a realistic proposition for us?

Don't dispute Armstrong or Bower to be fair, but I would pick Aspin if it was a choice between the 3.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 am

Aspin is more experienced than the other two and has managed at a higher level but his best managerial record was in the past rather than more recently. AA and Bower have very impressive records in recent seasons.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am

Think I would go for Ben Clark and Ian Watson, they built a great team spirit at Gateshead when they had a lot going against them. Feedback I have seen on the web from the heed players is that they were good at there job, may entice a few of the good young heed players. Plus I understand Ian W has business interests so may not be looking for massive money and I liked him as a player as well beforr he fell out with MG which ended his chances with us.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 am
Aspin is more experienced than the other two and has managed at a higher level but his best managerial record was in the past rather than more recently. AA and Bower have very impressive records in recent seasons.
Agreed AA and Bower know this league inside out.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg