New Manager Interviews this week

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Manager Interviews this week

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed May 08, 2019 10:19 am

I was walking my imaginary dog here in Manchester and happened to observe David Hodgson in his car with Kenny Dalglish, Jurgen Kloop dropping Jordan Henderson off at Blackwell Meadows for the Darlington player manager role, I do believe I saw a tear in Jurgens eye and Hodgy laughing his head off. I could of course just imagined it all.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am

Well you won't see any movement of potential managers in and out at blackwell meadow as they are not being conducted there,so need to look further afield. I,m told.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed May 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Good point, but the last couple of times we needed a manager it turned a bit facial
Oooh Matron!
farcical
So happy to be your latest cheap points score.
Get yourself a sense of humour dear and stop taking yourself so seriously.

It was a funny typo. Have a laugh with it.

I don't find you "funny" in any way shape or form. More obnoxious. In fact, you are the reason I comment so little on here.

Happy you thought it funny.

And this, is the last comment I shall ever utter in reply to you as I am not prepared to become 1 of your snakes you enjoy poking sticks at.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Saw Hodgy at the Costa Coffee at Bank Top this morning laughing with the Barista. If he can afford those prices I wonder if it’s someone on his books who’ll be in next?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Good point, but the last couple of times we needed a manager it turned a bit facial
Oooh Matron!
farcical
So happy to be your latest cheap points score.
Get yourself a sense of humour dear and stop taking yourself so seriously.

It was a funny typo. Have a laugh with it.

I don't find you "funny" in any way shape or form. More obnoxious. In fact, you are the reason I comment so little on here.

Happy you thought it funny.

And this, is the last comment I shall ever utter in reply to you as I am not prepared to become 1 of your snakes you enjoy poking sticks at.
Again, stop taking yourself so seriously.

"Facial" has a funny definition in urban slang. Hence the unintentionally funny meaning the typo brought to the sentence. That's all that was being referred to.

For some reason, you've taken that as a personal attack and have overreacted. If you're that paranoid and precious, I'd suggest this board isn't the place for you.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed May 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Can’t see there being a money shot at the end of this one :shock:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Cum on guys, let's not bicker.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Cum on guys, let's not bicker.
Witty reply. You've certainly got spunk.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 pm

HoughtonQuaker wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:21 am
I’d like Armstrong or Bower, but I think we’ll get Kelly & McGurk from Hyde or Clark.

A tense and speculative week or two ahead!
Know ones knows but to me Armstrong has the experience but quite old school. McGurk has less experience than Tommy and messed the last interview panel around apparently. Bowyer seems a good shout.

If the board want experience then Armstrong or Clark for me. It depends what the board want, for a 2-3 planned build up then Tommy to me wasn’t doing a bad job, with Academy etc but if they want quick success then a manager with more experience is required.

I wonder who makes the final tough decision as it’s going to be diiicult as this time round they have a few weeks to get it right get it wrong and there will be lots of blame no doubt, having said that they need to get a move on otherwise they will miss out on player movement these next 6 weeks.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:59 pm

The more I think about it, the more I want Armstrong or Bower. Both have done well at this level, both are at clubs who are cutting budgets so there may be some decent players they can both bring from their clubs, and both tick the "has to have played for Darlo before" box :D

Whilst McGurk is highly thought of and also ticks the Darlo box, for me it's too big a gamble as he has not managed at this level before. For me he should cut his teeth elsewhere, get a track record, then apply for the Darlo job next time.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 pm

With regards to the club making a quick appointment. I agree.

However, the season finished less than two weeks ago, in that time the previous manager has been sacked, job has been been advertised, we’ve had a glut of exceptional applicants apparently, as detailed in the Echo the club have put a very stringent and professional recruitment plan in place, interviews are taking place this week apparently, and it won’t be long before an appointment is made.

In addition to this the club has launched the season tickets, boost the budget, the new kits for pre-order and are actively pushing all of these regularly on all our social media accounts to try and drum up as much interest as possible/keep everyone in the loop etc.

I for one am feeling very positive now, as opposed to feeling utterly sick of everything a few weeks ago. The club has been completely on the ball for me since the last game of the season, long may it continue.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed May 08, 2019 8:35 pm

A name that might also come into the frame although I'm not sure he lives in this region anymore Darrell Clark has left Bristol rovers earlier this season but has had success in the division above us with a play off victory at Wembley on his CV.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Not sure about Bower after the Bradford PA game. They seemed as bad a hoofball team as Alfreton.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 pm

I can vouch for that Vic I went to watch them at spennymoor last week only just recovering from my cricked neck now I think - you don't see has much head tennis at Wimbledon.😁

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 pm

He also has a contract at Bradford PA until the end of the 2020-21 season.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu May 09, 2019 6:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Cum on guys, let's not bicker.
Witty reply. You've certainly got spunk.
You should change your name to Ron Jeremy...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 am

quakersfan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 pm
McGurk has less experience than Tommy and messed the last interview panel around apparently.
He got offered the job last time after the initial round of interviews - how much could he have messed it up?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 09, 2019 8:26 am

I think he means "messed us around" as in being offered the job and then getting cold feet and turning it down and opting to stay as an assistant at Hyde when he weighed up everything that was involved here. Maybe he thought he'd be taking on too much. He obviously didn't "mess up" the interview and probably came across well as he seems very articulate and measured.

He's clearly in for the job again but has no experience as a manager in his own right and all that comes with that. Who knows if he could successfully take that step.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 am

It's a gamble no matter who is appointed, I think I would go for an experienced person with good contacts with in the local area who can organise and alter the team set up when required,with an outgoing demeanour. The board knows what is required and will scour for the best one that has applied. Given that over 60 applications were received.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:28 am

Ah yes that is true sorry I didn't read properly - to be fair there could have been legitimate reasons why things weren't right place / right time last time out but who knows.

If he applies again this time then you would assume that those circumstances are no longer barriers.

For what it is worth he is unproven but I quite like him and Kelly as candidates. I have come across them a few times over the past few years and their teams play really exciting attacking football but at the same time are well organised in defence. The have a good track record of bringing players in from the youth set up and have also shown that they can win cup games. They also have very good demeanour in the technical area, they are not aggressive and tend to communicate through encouragement of how to play different rather than outburst of what not to do.

McGurk without Kelly is probably the risky factor, as a pair I don't know if there is that much risk (certainly no more so than Hardy).

Armstrong & Bower have clearly done it at this level the only thing I'd be nervous about is whether they can do it with a reduced budget.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:34 pm

I'd guess that BPA's budget, although they're bankrolled, is pretty similar to ours.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm

I wouldn't rule Aspin out of the equation... it may be that he's felt to have the extensive experience, contacts and the focus on an effective defence that we have lacked. He's from the North-east and can throw into an interview that he earned Halifax half-a-million quid from Jamie Vardy sell-ons and appearances. However, his better years were in the past rather than more recently.

I reckon if he wants the job and the terms are right he'd be in with a very good chance of getting it.

There'll be no place for a James Caton in our side as Aspin apparently does not allow his players to wear gloves during first-team matches :D.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 09, 2019 3:56 pm

71 applicants down to list of 11 and selection made in 7 to 10 days.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Yes the 11 on the shortlist are to be still whittled down further to 6-8 for interview, and interviews will commence this weekend. All have UEFA A or Pro badges. Some of the managers have experience and real success at this level or above, whilst some of the others may be number 2s at bigger clubs etc.

Sounds like the strength of applicants has been excellent.

Personally I wouldn't go for an inexperienced manager at this stage.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

My 11:

Aspin
Bower
Armstrong
Swailes
McGurk
Woman (sorry, no idea)
Ben Clark
Alan White
Matthew Bates
Thirlwell
Bogie or Atkinson

Probably way off the mark :D

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 pm

I reckon there'll be a couple of surprises in there for good measure.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm
My 11:

Aspin
Bower
Armstrong
Swailes
McGurk
Woman (sorry, no idea)
Ben Clark
Alan White
Matthew Bates
Thirlwell
Bogie or Atkinson

Probably way off the mark :D
Mine is

Ben Clark
Alun Armstrong
John Flanagan
Darren Kelly/David Mcgurk
Paul Thirlwell
Neil Aspin
Lee Clark
Gary Mills
Female Applicant (Hope Powell?)
Nick Gray
Matthew Bates

Again probably wrong like but still fun to do this innit

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Fri May 10, 2019 12:09 am

With South Shields not getting promotion i would go back for my original suggestion of Fenton.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:28 am

trevstanley wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:09 am
With South Shields not getting promotion i would go back for my original suggestion of Fenton.
Sure Fenton and his assistant were given full time 5 year contracts a year or so ago. They have good financial backing there, a solid fan base and long contracts. Cant see them being interested in leaving that.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am

Shields are a bankrolled project club (also with a large growing fanbase) - no sane person would walk away from that to a fan run, fly by the seat of their pants every single season without fail club.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that Fenton has any interest in this job, he knows which side his bread is buttered.

On a side note, rumours are going around that Styche wants to come back to Darlo - I'm guessing Tommy might have been working on this in the background, and I'd also guess that it's a lot less likely now.