Who do we fancy then?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Re: Who do we fancy then?

Post by shildonlad » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Aspin may come across as dour but
Trust me hes a true pro. He never once criticised the regime or fans at gateshead and just got on with the job in hand and knows the league well, ditto ben clark, knows the lower leagues and also academy’s, managed gateshead reserves for a bit before 1st team. Mike williamson as player manager is also a good shout. From stoke but based in the north east
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:03 am

I fancy the wife

Give Andy Toman a shot...

Darlo through and through, loves the club and could do a good job...

No, seriously, Alun Armstrong or Chris Swales from Dunston. How about someone like Gary Mills, is he up to much these days

To be honest, I dont really care who the Club take on, as long as they are good, someone who knows the Local Area, has an eye for talent and is willing to work within a tight budget, whether Alun Armstrong fits that criteria, I dont know

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:56 am

It’s odd that DJ has come out strongly Re AW staying put as assistant. Maybe a replacement has already been identified who has OK’d this? If so it could be someone who has worked with/knows AW. Or...AW is being kept on as he knows the club/area whereas our new No1 is more left field and from outside the area/country? (Tied in with arrivals of two players, totally out of the blue, from exotic locations). I can’t imagine huge numbers of local-ish managers taking on the job where your assistant is already decided unless you’re very inexperienced at this level

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am

Will be interesting to see if any potential prospects watch our game today, great opportunity to look at the bulk of our squad .The rumours and speculation will start without a doubt and I just wonder with AW being kept on, there could be a link somewhere, someone he has played with/worked with.May be wrong though ..just a thought.How about Tommy Miller at Spenny, he might just fancy taking the step up.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 am

It is potentially a bit of a punt but Darren Kelly and David McGurk have worked pretty well together at Hyde. They have faired better than Hardy in the EvoStik Prem this season and I think have had cup runs from memory.

They have a pretty small budget and quite a number of their players have been brought in and developed from lower levels and introduced to the first team from their academy. I’m sure I saw a stat that about 8 of their first team squad are academy graduates. (Well the only tweet I can find now was a while ago but that was 7 ...https://twitter.com/hydeunited/status/9 ... 72454?s=21)

I assume they both have a UEFA A licence in order to run the academy at Hyde.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 am

Fat josh wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 pm
Put White in charge imo
White is only still here as the Academy still needs someone until the summer term ends.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 am

Fat josh wrote:
Put White in charge imo
White is only there to run the Academy until the summer term ends

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:17 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 am
It is potentially a bit of a punt but Darren Kelly and David McGurk have worked pretty well together at Hyde. They have faired better than Hardy in the EvoStik Prem this season and I think have had cup runs from memory.

They have a pretty small budget and quite a number of their players have been brought in and developed from lower levels and introduced to the first team from their academy. I’m sure I saw a stat that about 8 of their first team squad are academy graduates. (Well the only tweet I can find now was a while ago but that was 7 ...https://twitter.com/hydeunited/status/9 ... 72454?s=21)

I assume they both have a UEFA A licence in order to run the academy at Hyde.
This the same McGurk who was our number 1 choice last time but who shitt himself and turned us down?

No thanks.

Last time out we had at least two managers turn us down because they realised they'd have a hard job as the budget was being cut after Gray (+ the seating had at that point not been completed IIRC).

This time we're looking at the same - the budget is going to be cut further after Wright's departure, unless we have a big increase in BTB I suspect. Given that we have several overpaid yet powder puff and not up to the job players like Burn, Maddison, Henshall taking a chunk out of the budget, next year they are going to be taking a bigger chunk out of a significantly reduced budget, this means very little wiggle room for a new manager. Who is going to fancy that.

This is not an appealing job.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:17 am

The other big over achiever in the leagues below us is Michael Clegg who manages Atherton Collieries.

I think that is a little out of our area where we’d like to get a manager in from but he has managed to take a team of local lad through from North West Counties Division 1 to EvoStik Premier League on an absolute shoestring.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:20 am

Fat josh wrote:
Put White in charge imo
This the same White who only a couple of weeks ago was claiming that we were only a smidge away from being a good team and that we were just a bit unlucky (or words to that effect)?

All I remember thinking at the time was that he was deluded.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:37 am

Look at our goals of the season...some of our football was mouth watering. We just needed to back up that attacking flair/intent with some bite in midfield and we’d not be far off. I think AW was right to say that. This is a part time squad, so inconsistency is to be expected. I’d rather watch an inconsistent Darlo than be treated to what Guiseley/Alfreton served up

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:40 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:37 am
Look at our goals of the season...some of our football was mouth watering. We just needed to back up that attacking flair/intent with some bite in midfield and we’d not be far off. I think AW was right to say that. This is a part time squad, so inconsistency is to be expected. I’d rather watch an inconsistent Darlo than be treated to what Guiseley/Alfreton served up
This the same Guiseley who utterly battered us at BM and hit the bar about 6 times, somehow leaving with only a 0-0? That Guiseley? The Guiseley that easily beat us last week?

Hmmm, can't agree with you on this one. We need to face facts, we're shitt.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:42 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am
Will be interesting to see if any potential prospects watch our game today, great opportunity to look at the bulk of our squad .The rumours and speculation will start without a doubt and I just wonder with AW being kept on, there could be a link somewhere, someone he has played with/worked with.May be wrong though ..just a thought.How about Tommy Miller at Spenny, he might just fancy taking the step up.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
The problem is that most of the suitable candidates have a job already and our managing teams today. McClaren is available. :crazy:

feethams flyer

Post by feethams flyer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:35 am

What about Tommy Miller. Worked with AW at spenny. Has helped to build a very good team there and I for one wouldn't mind watching that style of football at BM .

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am

feethams flyer wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:35 am
What about Tommy Miller. Worked with AW at spenny. Has helped to build a very good team there and I for one wouldn't mind watching that style of football at BM .
The man hates Darlington, he’d never come here and I ain’t sure he’d be too welcomed either.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 am

I'm not sure many players/coaches get swept up in tribal loyalty/hatred in the way that fans do.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am

feethams flyer wrote:
Couple of points against this, first their budget , much easier to build that team when they can afford the better players , second,been an assistant is a lot different from the managers job.
For me we need someone who has experience at manager level, Chris Swailes fits the criteria.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 am

poppyfield wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am
feethams flyer wrote:
Couple of points against this, first their budget , much easier to build that team when they can afford the better players , second,been an assistant is a lot different from the managers job.
For me we need someone who has experience at manager level, Chris Swailes fits the criteria.
We need someone who has experience at manager level, at this level so Swailes doesn't fit this criteria by some degree.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 am

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not sure many players/coaches get swept up in tribal loyalty/hatred in the way that fans do.
Correct.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am

Andy Toman is an interesting choice - what is his experience of management, did he do a bit at Hartlepool? I'm not sure that musical chairs with other managers at this level is a good idea but if we're after a local bloke the field looks a bit bare. Toman lives up north presumably but what's his record like?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 am

All this northern tribalism seems strange to me.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:46 am

How about Graeme Lee, currently working with Craig Liddle with Boro’s under 23s. Didn’t he want the job before we got demoted, or have I made that up?

He knows the area and would we have a good chance of bringing some of the Boro lads to us on loan. He would also know the best players getting released, or not getting a pro contract. Obvious downsides are lack of experience as being a manager, but his duties at Boro should offset that a bit. Also he already has a full time job, or would he be able to/allowed to do that as well?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 am
poppyfield wrote:
feethams flyer wrote:
We need someone who has experience at manager level, at this level so Swailes doesn't fit this criteria by some degree.
I don't think it would be a wise move to rule out everyone who doesn't have experience at National North level or above. You'd probably exclude a whole raft of decent candidates who may have extremely good personal skills, experience as a player/manager/assistant and coaching and Academy work. As an example, Blyth would never have looked at Alun Armstrong if they had approached their recruitment like that.

I think it would be better looking at the kind of character/personality/leader you want and assess all their experience and what they have achieved so far without putting some kind of restriction like you suggest. Swailes, for instance, had a very long League and Non-League career as a player and has extensive coaching/Academy experience and contacts, transformed a club as a manager, brought in loads of Cup cash and instilled his own ethics of hard work, organisation and desire. Yes he manages down the pyramid but why wouldn't you want to at least consider someone like that?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am

Swailes did have a long career didn't He? Retired aged 45...

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 am
poppyfield wrote:
feethams flyer wrote:
I don't think it would be a wise move to rule out everyone who doesn't have experience at National North level or above. You'd probably exclude a whole raft of decent candidates who may have extremely good personal skills, experience as a player/manager/assistant and coaching and Academy work. As an example, Blyth would never have looked at Alun Armstrong if they had approached their recruitment like that.

I think it would be better looking at the kind of character/personality/leader you want and assess all their experience and what they have achieved so far without putting some kind of restriction like you suggest. Swailes, for instance, had a very long League and Non-League career as a player and has extensive coaching/Academy experience and contacts, transformed a club as a manager, brought in loads of Cup cash and instilled his own ethics of hard work, organisation and desire. Yes he manages down the pyramid but why wouldn't you want to at least consider someone like that?
Because he's never played for Darlo. ;)

But actually, he seems a good shout. He's played all the way from the football league to the northern league so there is no reason why he would not know roughly the quality of player required for each step.

Aspin also, he is capable of building tough to beat, big strong sides, on a budget. Give me a big strong team of battlers any day of the week over a team full of weak willed midget pussies. You forgive a lack of quality a bit, if there is plenty of battle and fight enabling results to be ground out.

Armstrong, I was initially put off by his recent outburst but having second thoughts I wonder what was behind it? Is he being spoilt and spitting his dummy out cos they're at a financial ceiling, or was he promised more by the board than they are able to deliver? Certainly Blyth have several very good players coming out of contract who won't be on mega money, who would improve our team, who seemingly Blyth cannot afford to offer new contracts to. So one thing you look at when appointing a manager is who they can bring in of the required quality, and I think Armstrong has a head start there.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:16 am

I just don't get why anyone wouldn't give the job to my Uncle Chris :D

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Armstrong lives at Wolsingham, handy for his Academy at Shildon and closer to Darlo than it is to Blyth ...‘less wear and tear on wor car’ . Could also bring fellow former Darlo legend Daz Holloway with him

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:37 pm

I believe that you can get to Wolsingham from Darlo by going via Shildon. He could pop into his academy on the way back home and fill up at that cheap Jet petrol station whilst stocking up on Londis lager. We could also do training on his indoor pitches and then take the players on team bonding sessions at Shildon shops to show the footballers how lucky they are to be in their jobs.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I believe that you can get to Wolsingham from Darlo by going via Shildon. He could pop into his academy on the way back home and fill up at that cheap Jet petrol station whilst stocking up on Londis lager. We could also do training on his indoor pitches and then take the players on team bonding sessions at Shildon shops to show the footballers how lucky they are to be in their jobs.
Ha ha have you experience the shildon shopping experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Graham Fenton