Wright has left the building

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Financially better off, didn't get us relegated and set up the academy.

Wright overall has done a decent job for the club, as the next manager will find as they are coming in to a club that doesn't need a fire sale and can plan for next season with their own budget which won't be top 8 but probably not bottom 8 either.

On the pitch Wright has never brought consistency and has never been one to get more out of players/teams than you can expect in fact he quite often got less. Playing Thompson at wing back etc. and his signings were poor in the summer.

As this started he has moved the club on but just off the pitch really and underachieved on the pitch.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:09 pm

I personally would have liked to see him given another year, but understand the decision. We have a substantial number of fans who have wanted him out for some time and I assume they will be substantially backing the btb for next year, for without that the next manager will have his hands tied.
Just hope we don't regret the decision, as changing managers has not really worked out for York or Pools this season.

Decent guy, with the club at heart and areas he has done well, but let down by the results, but not relegated with substantial cuts over the year in budgets and change in playing personnel, and as has been said by DJ our budget was substantially less than a fair number of clubs in this league and that will be the same next year.

Good luck for the future Tommy and thanks.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Now that Wright's departure has been confirmed I hope the same fate awaits some of these weak willed players who have thrown him under the bus I hope the likes of Madison he shall and ainge follow him out the exit door after tomorrow's game.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm

If you look again at the goals of the season reel, we play some brilliant football at times. We’ve also had some shockers and haven’t been able to hold onto leads enough. You also feared the worst in any game where we went behind. That said I’m sad he’s gone and would have given him more time. Maybe the threat of people pulling their support forced DJ’s hands. No doubt many will be pleased and will be relishing the appointment of somebody more northern, even though there’s no guarantee they can pull a Styche et al out of the bag

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Without doubt the fact that a fair number of people stopped coming to see us play because we were crap a lot of the time and a fair number indicated they may not renew their season tickets because they felt we were going nowhere will have had an impact. And so it should. When fans vote with their feet, you have to listen.

People generally didn't do that out of some irrational dislike of TW but because they didn't like what was being served up most of the time under his leadership.... as in 21 wins out of a total of 70 matches.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:58 pm

I's be interested to know when the decision was made. It appears reading between the lines that he was given until,the end of the season a few weeks back to have a good end to the season. However, even after 3 wins in a row and an impressive performance v Boston, I think the utter capitulation against Guiseley who had won 1 in 19 was a sign that we needed a change.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 pm

I thought we’d win the last three games comfortably and finish the season on something of a high. I think the weird flatness of the performance and crowd at Guiseley must have played a role, unless it was down to him knowing already

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 pm

I’m really sorry because he seems a nice bloke.I dont think our poor performances are down to him and can’t be solved by another Manager without a cash cow .

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:24 pm

leedscol wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 pm
I’m really sorry because he seems a nice bloke.I dont think our poor performances are down to him and can’t be solved by another Manager without a cash cow .
You could be right, but the poor signings, wasted budget and teams above us with less budget suggest you are wrong.

Wright has underperformed on the pitch, even though he didn't relegate us but probably £2.5k a week of his budget spent on signings are either sat on the bench, left the club or not playing in the position he signed them for.

A better manager not a cash cow can make the above better.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Very weird timing just before the last game. I doubt AW will remain here as any new manager will want to bring in his own team. I hope Tommy goes on to prove himself at another club, I'm sorry it won't be with us. Good luck Tommy.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Firstly, this is the right decision.

However I take no pleasure that a decent guy has got the push. TW is a decent bloke, a nice guy with his heart in the right place,a professional personality, correct behavior and a desire to do well. He has put as much effort in as anyone can ask and has done some good work for the club. Sadly he just wasn't up to it. I am sorry it didn't work out but we have to move forward.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Firstly, this is the right decision.

However I take no pleasure that a decent guy has got the push. TW is a decent bloke, a nice guy with his heart in the right place,a professional personality, correct behavior and a desire to do well. He has put as much effort in as anyone can ask and has done some good work for the club. Sadly he just wasn't up to it. I am sorry it didn't work out but we have to move forward.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 pm

My sentiments exactly MK.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 pm
Very weird timing just before the last game. I doubt AW will remain here as any new manager will want to bring in his own team.
I think the timing is good as it will allow sentiment and good feeling to rule today rather than tension/speculation. As for AW, I agree. New managers generally do like to bring their own back room staff. Maybe DJ has already approached someone who’s said yes to AW/knows him? Maybe it will end up with AW taking over (‘we feel that the external applicants were no better than the guy who’s already here’ etc).

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:50 am

divas wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm
He leaves the club in a decent state (certainly better than the former manager) and his legacy will be setting up the academy which will hopefully generate funds for the club for years to come and also maybe pick up a player or two once established. I don’t think the work that TW put into getting that off the ground is as appreciated as it should be. Ultimately results on the pitch weren’t good enough though and that’s what you live and die by as a manager.

Glad that it’s been left to the end of the season and also been announced before the last game - at the end of the day he’s a good guy who didn’t set out to fail and has acted with nothing but dignity and integrity throughout his time as manager. I think he’ll still be fondly remembered by many.
It was announced I’ve heard beacuse Tommy gave them a deadline of 3pm yesterday as he wasn’t hearing anything at all from the board about his future.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:01 am

Seems to have been a very civilised parting and would hope the fans show a similar sentiment today. The team could help by putting in a shift with some decent football, for example Maddison saving a penalty to keep a clean sheet, Ainge to score from a set piece (not an own goal), Henshall to make a tackle and complete a forward pass, Burn to keep the bench warm, Saunders to sign off with a hat trick and no more serious injuries. Hope TW can find his niche somewhere else as soccer needs a few decent blokes.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:43 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 pm
Very weird timing just before the last game. I doubt AW will remain here as any new manager will want to bring in his own team.
I think the timing is good as it will allow sentiment and good feeling to rule today rather than tension/speculation. As for AW, I agree. New managers generally do like to bring their own back room staff. Maybe DJ has already approached someone who’s said yes to AW/knows him? Maybe it will end up with AW taking over (‘we feel that the external applicants were no better than the guy who’s already here’ etc).
...and that AW gets to bring in an assistant. Good to see you having a lie-in by the way GQ with your post at 6.43am.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 am

divas wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm
He leaves the club in a decent state (certainly better than the former manager) and his legacy will be setting up the academy which will hopefully generate funds for the club for years to come and also maybe pick up a player or two once established. I don’t think the work that TW put into getting that off the ground is as appreciated as it should be. Ultimately results on the pitch weren’t good enough though and that’s what you live and die by as a manager.

Glad that it’s been left to the end of the season and also been announced before the last game - at the end of the day he’s a good guy who didn’t set out to fail and has acted with nothing but dignity and integrity throughout his time as manager. I think he’ll still be fondly remembered by many.
Possibly the best summary of Wright's time here that's been posted.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 am

Excellent summary of TW Divas, really hope he gets a great send off today, has taken a lot of abuse this season, some of it way OTT but has always acted with dignity in his interviews unlike someone else we could mention Really wanted Tommy to do well and hope he is back in football very soon.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 am

Can only really echo what’s already been said. A shame it never worked out, but I think it’s the correct decision for the club. A good bloke who we all wanted to be a success, but unfortunately it goes this way sometimes

bga

Post by bga » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am

I would love to be a fly on the wall at TW's next job interview. So Tommy tell us why you left your previous Club "Well they told me I was a talented young manager with a bright future"..............
I agree it was time for him to go but should have been announced after the Chorley match. Personally I think the above comments about his perceived ability were unnecessary and a bit patronising not least contradictory?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:46 am

Or me it's the right decision, made at the right time. Absolutely no doubt that Tommy has put the hours in an tried his best. But unfortunately there were just too many mistakes and not enough evidence of continued improvement. Best of luck to what he does next. Perhaps he would be more suited to youth coaching.

What I would also say, is that the fans and the club need to jump into action. Those who have said they won't renew season tickets / boost the budget with Wright in charge. Send an email to the club asking for renewal forms and get it done. Or email DFCSG and tell them your intention for BTB. We have got the management change that some of us wanted. Now we have to ensure the new manager has all the resources at their disposal to give us a strong season next year.

EssexBri

Post by EssexBri » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:45 am

There is long established saying within football that has stood the test of time at all levels.

( Players Get You The Sack ).

The manager signs them or they are already at the club and if they don't perform for whatever reason the responsibility ultimately rests with the manager. So he goes and the next one comes in and it starts all over again. It's an ever revolving door sometimes it works most times it doesn't.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 am

bga wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am
I would love to be a fly on the wall at TW's next job interview. So Tommy tell us why you left your previous Club "Well they told me I was a talented young manager with a bright future"..............
I agree it was time for him to go but should have been announced after the Chorley match. Personally I think the above comments about his perceived ability were unnecessary and a bit patronising not least contradictory?
I’ve seen a few people highlighting those passages in the statement made on Tommy’s departure. People are assuming that it means a first team manager. I think he’ll probably end up as an academy manager at a league club and he’ll probably do a good job if it’s not all about 3 points. I can see why he’d be regarded as talented and have a bright future in that sort of management role.

For me he has similar traits to Craig Liddle who is excelling at Middlesbrough overseeing a very successful academy but not someone you’d want to manage your first team.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 am

JE93 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:46 am
Or me it's the right decision, made at the right time. Absolutely no doubt that Tommy has put the hours in an tried his best. But unfortunately there were just too many mistakes and not enough evidence of continued improvement. Best of luck to what he does next. Perhaps he would be more suited to youth coaching.

What I would also say, is that the fans and the club need to jump into action. Those who have said they won't renew season tickets / boost the budget with Wright in charge. Send an email to the club asking for renewal forms and get it done. Or email DFCSG and tell them your intention for BTB. We have got the management change that some of us wanted. Now we have to ensure the new manager has all the resources at their disposal to give us a strong season next year.
I’m sure that demographic of fan you’re referring to will be contacted fairly quickly ;)

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:24 am

In the end nothing became him like the manner of his going. He might benefit from being someone's number two for a while a sound tactical sense might develop on top of his other attributes. I don't think the players got him the push though - it must have been hard to feel confident in your manager after the Hereford game as just one example of major shortfalls in basic management capacity; holding a lead, keeping an effective shape and really just getting the same players to play as well one week as they did the previous. It says a lot for him that people have been loyal for so long and there is a lot of goodwill for him which is unusual in these situations. In the end though it was too much to risk another campaign with him. Why keep AW on though? What does he add? Our defence has been poor - let's have a proper clear out.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:32 am

divas wrote:
bga wrote:
I’ve seen a few people highlighting those passages in the statement made on Tommy’s departure. People are assuming that it means a first team manager. I think he’ll probably end up as an academy manager at a league club and he’ll probably do a good job if it’s not all about 3 points. I can see why he’d be regarded as talented and have a bright future in that sort of management role.

For me he has similar traits to Craig Liddle who is excelling at Middlesbrough overseeing a very successful academy but not someone you’d want to manage your first team.
Completely agree.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:37 am

Re A.W. - when he does his interviews he seems to be on another planet, some of the things he comes out with don’t relate to our present situation - struggling at the wrong end of the league.

All through this season I’ve felt we’ve been a little short staffed on the footballing front, so perhaps White can stay on as a coach and working with the academy, if a new manager comes along with an assistant.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am

divas wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 am
bga wrote:

Point taken and an interesting interpretation of the statement. I certainly don't think he is capable at this Level I the near future.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:29 pm

It's always sad when anyone loses their job and it would be churlish if you couldn't feel for him. Yet in some ways it must also feel like a release for him, as it wasn't getting any better and he'd had enough time to make a good go of it. The management were patient. So like others have said, he leaves with everyone's best wishes and recognition for his effort. Good luck to him, but you just feel that if he'd been here next season we'd have got more of the same.
I'd like to see someone who bawls from the pitch side and gets angry, even if it means he does scowl in post match interviews. (No I don't mean who you're thinking of). Yes a change next season may mean we could go up, down or stay the same but I' feel happy to take the chance. And I think it genuinely adds more interest for next season. Yes we wind things up this afternoon under TW but I can't wait for the next season to start.