Nuneaton....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Re: Nuneaton....

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 am
Oh dear, hope you don't regret that comment!
Safe now................I hope!

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by H1987 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:38 am

Didn't get to tune in this weekend as I was away - how did Holness get on? (apart from a dubious sending off)

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 am

H1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:38 am
Didn't get to tune in this weekend as I was away - how did Holness get on? (apart from a dubious sending off)
Did well, looks a big unit who can let the others play a bit but has good some skill himself.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 am

Yeah certainly added some presence to the midfield which we’ve been missing for a while. You could tell he was a bit rusty but played a nice ball for the first goal. Bit more to come from him I’d say, especially on a better surface than Saturday where everyone struggled with the ball bobbling around.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:00 am

divas wrote:It’s more like 11 points given the goal difference of 18 in our favour versus FCUM and about a million versus Ashton

FCUM also have a case pending regarding fielding an ineligible player although a win against them in 2 weeks will hopefully see us mathematically safe regardless
Exactly it's a 4 game head start all we have to do really is beat a couple of them below us and that's us safe , simples really !!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am

Thompson was the difference yesterday his attitude commitment and energy was absolutely excellent, :thumbup: on his day he shows what a good player he is.
If he could get consistent he could maybe make a leading league two player. I believe we are OK with one more win.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am

Holiness will be a class above after a couple of games to get into it.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am

I think he benefited from playing out wide yesterday. He's a lot better cutting in from the flank. Much prefer that 4-3-3 to the 3-5-2.

Holness impressed me, think he could make a difference as he gets fitter.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:30 am

Realistically neither FCUM nor Ashton will win four of their remaining 7 games (which is the very least they would have to do to even stand a chance of overhauling us) and even then there is still the cushion of Guiseley who would be more likely to be the ones to drop below one of them in this unlikely scenario. And even then we would have to remain pointless while these sides somehow found a complete reversal of form they have shown for the entire season. And even then there is the distinct possibility that FCUM will be losing 3 points for fielding an ineligible player. Come on....

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:37 am

Beating FC United at home will be a massive result for us and in all honesty would take a string of defeats to put us back in trouble.Then onto planning for next season and no repeat of this one would be acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 am

Hopefully Holness will be better once he gets into his stride but that will be interrupred when he has to serve his ban for the sending off. I assume that will be the Stockport game where we could have done with a bit more strength in midfield. But we did OK there last year when we had Mitch Glover in there, so we may be alright anyway.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 am

It's been an awful season, pitted with regular awful performances and results in league and cup and regular slumps and marked by waning interest in the club, which hit our income badly. We'll certainly need a kickstart to inject fresh impetus into the club for next season.

B_Little

Post by B_Little » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:49 am

First game in a while and seeing how much Darlo have fallen. Yesterday you saw two pub teams slug it out. No quality on both sides. Thommo was the only player on the park of note. Free kick that was disallowed, quality.
Spoilt with the likes of Jimmy Willis, Gill, Marco, Mardenbourgh, Grey, Corner, Batch, Prudhoe, Gregan, Blake, Reed.
What a far cry to those representing the town yesterday.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 am

A Nuneaton fan said: "Terrible , terrible game between two really poor teams . They were just slightly less poor."

About right that.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:56 am

Don't think you can compare our current squad with the team that played two and for a brief moment three divisions above? Different place and time.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:05 am

onewayup wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am
Holiness will be a class above after a couple of games to get into it.
Pope Omar? ;)

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:16 am

I noticed that the predictive text on here tried to convert Holness to Holiness on me as well. May be a sign that we are going to get some much needed divine intervention to see us safely through to the end of the season. I can only hope and pray.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am

onewayup wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am
Thompson was the difference yesterday his attitude commitment and energy was absolutely excellent, :thumbup: on his day he shows what a good player he is.
If he could get consistent he could maybe make a leading league two player. I believe we are OK with one more win.
Also with Thompson was his absolute quality in terms of ball control and running with it, everyone else was struggling on a not so great pitch but the pitch had no affect to his quality with the ball. On his day he is unplayable and he was the only player on the pitch who stood out yesterday.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:37 am

I often look back to the day he ran rings around Burscough, he was class that day.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am

From the deafening silence from those who attended the match do I assume that Mr Caton did not give a Franz von Werra experience to make anyone have regrets.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:04 pm

onewayup wrote:Holiness will be a class above after a couple of games to get into it.
Looks like he will be a miss when his suspension kicks in

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:06 pm

onewayup wrote:Holiness will be a class above after a couple of games to get into it.
Didnt know you were religious quoting the main man??

polam

Post by polam » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm

en passant wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am
From the deafening silence from those who attended the match do I assume that Mr Caton did not give a Franz von Werra experience to make anyone have regrets.
Caton did not have a memorable debut and was subbed in the second half.

Agree with all the comments about two poor teams (and a ref who was even poorer), with Thompson the difference. I thought we played better at Hereford than yesterday.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:29 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am
onewayup wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am
Also with Thompson was his absolute quality in terms of ball control and running with it, everyone else was struggling on a not so great pitch but the pitch had no affect to his quality with the ball. On his day he is unplayable and he was the only player on the pitch who stood out yesterday.
Those northern league/ evo pitches have obviously stood him in good stead

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Caton looked fat and useless. Even with a point to prove.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Holness seems a good find, believe it’s his first game in a few months. I bet he’s on a massive contract to get him to play for us. No hope of seeing him next year, but we can hope!

I worry about our centre half’s, Ainge and Galbraith is not a good pairing.

I hope Tommy goes with 4 at the back from now on.

1- Turner
4 - Trotman Smith Galbraith Hudds-Loan
2 - Holness Palmer
3 - Kneeshaw Nicholson Thommo
1 - Saunders

Subs:
Elliot Ainge Wheatley Hudds-Loan

I’d hope those players that are ours stay for next season, the rest can leave and be replaced!

Henshall, Maddison, Burn, Glover, Ainge and even Wheatley can go and not be missed.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Harry the quaker,
After all the praying I have done one way or another for the club I think I have a direct line to the man. Ha, ha,

holmesdale

Post by holmesdale » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Omar's commentary on the state of the pitch - worst I have seen in a while, apparently at Jamaican levels...

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/omar-i- ... y-emotions

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:07 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm
Holness seems a good find, believe it’s his first game in a few months. I bet he’s on a massive contract to get him to play for us. No hope of seeing him next year, but we can hope!

1- Turner
2 - Holness Palmer
1 - Saunders

Subs:

I’d hope those players that are ours stay for next season, the rest can leave and be replaced!

Henshall, Maddison, Burn, Glover, Ainge and even Wheatley can go and not be missed.
I'm not sure that we would revert to a back four if and when Smith is available. I would think it more likely that we will return to the back three system that has been played in most recent games, especially as there seems to be no convincing argument for a back four on the basis of yesterday's reports. And I also think it unlikely that TW would drop one of his ever-presents, Elliott. Seems more likey that Elliott would go to left back and Saunders be removed from your suggested starting line up.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:Holness seems a good find, believe it’s his first game in a few months. I bet he’s on a massive contract to get him to play for us. No hope of seeing him next year, but we can hope!

1- Turner
2 - Holness Palmer
1 - Saunders

Subs:

Glover is one for the future so he can stay and Wheatly can he is a decent player.. And how much do you call a massive contract??