Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Would you like to see him in charge of the team next season?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 80

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy Wright

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 pm

I'm interested to know where everyone stands.
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glass half full

Re: Tommy Wright

Post by Glass half full » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:17 am

Every young manager makes mistakes and needs time to develop. Tommy has had the rug pulled from under him in having to deal with losing some of his best players whilst also being restricted with having Gray's signings on high wages that he didn't want. He has accepted this and understands the limitations of a fan owned club. We cannot afford to chop and change every time we have some poor performances/results. With a few quality long term loans next season we are capable of being competitive in this league.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:15 am

Not very helpful, when we are running into the most crucial part of the season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 am

I’d like to see how Tommy would get on if we didn’t have to keep moving on our better players.

Imagine our team now if this had been possible......
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:04 pm

As expected the fans are split - which in my opinion means that TW will stay.

A couple of left field appointment potentials - Peter Beardsley, just left Newcastle (under 23's manager and will have a good knowledge of the age group on our area) and Mark Sampson - former manager of the Lionesses. Both have left their roles under dubious circumstances but I am not convinced of their guilt and the severity of their issues given that we live in such a snowflake environment at the moment.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:06 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:As expected the fans are split - which in my opinion means that TW will stay.

A couple of left field appointment potentials - Peter Beardsley, just left Newcastle (under 23's manager and will have a good knowledge of the age group on our area) and Mark Sampson - former manager of the Lionesses. Both have left their roles under dubious circumstances but I am not convinced of their guilt and the severity of their issues given that we live in such a snowflake environment at the moment.
Given Beardsley was sacked for bullying players in that age group and area, I doubt that would entice many to play for him!

To those saying 'how would Wright get on without having to move the better players on?':

How were we performing before Styche and Syers were moved on?

The fact is that Wright put together an unbalanced squad in the summer. He took gambles on Ainge and Hughes - neither has delivered in the position they were signed to play in, leading to further inbalance.

I'm not militantly Wright-out, I see some merit in retaining him and allowing him to learn from his mistakes - as well as wanting to build a reputation for developing young players, we should want to build a similar reputation among managers/coaches.

But my god he needs to learn. He's made some howlers which are plain to see and shouldn't be hard for him to spot.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 pm

I remember man u fans were up in arms at Alex ferguson for his first 2 seasons at old Trafford, look what transpired after that, stick with TW, & AW young guys who I believe will come good given the time and backing from us. The management team had men sold to help cash flow problems he's had his budget cut not once but twice another blow in an already fragile situation where he is trying to get decent players, a very difficult situation becoming more difficult as the season unfolds, all I can say is stick with the football club support it as best you can we all do different things and can do different things to help. Keep the faith and back darlington fc from wherever you can. Your club needs you.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am

onewayup wrote:I remember man u fans were up in arms at Alex ferguson for his first 2 seasons at old Trafford, look what transpired after that, stick with TW, & AW young guys who I believe will come good given the time and backing from us. The management team had men sold to help cash flow problems he's had his budget cut not once but twice another blow in an already fragile situation where he is trying to get decent players, a very difficult situation becoming more difficult as the season unfolds, all I can say is stick with the football club support it as best you can we all do different things and can do different things to help. Keep the faith and back darlington fc from wherever you can. Your club needs you.
Wright on, Tommy. Some of his loanees have been good signings - so good we could not keep them very long e.g. Nelson & Pears. Others such as Muggleton were just getting into the 1st team when hit by injury. TW still has a lot to learn but at least when he is faced with tough financial decisions like selling Styche et al., he didn't chuck his toys out of the pram and scuttle off to greener pastures.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 am

jjljks wrote:
onewayup wrote:I remember man u fans were up in arms at Alex ferguson for his first 2 seasons at old Trafford, look what transpired after that, stick with TW, & AW young guys who I believe will come good given the time and backing from us. The management team had men sold to help cash flow problems he's had his budget cut not once but twice another blow in an already fragile situation where he is trying to get decent players, a very difficult situation becoming more difficult as the season unfolds, all I can say is stick with the football club support it as best you can we all do different things and can do different things to help. Keep the faith and back darlington fc from wherever you can. Your club needs you.
Wright on, Tommy. Some of his loanees have been good signings - so good we could not keep them very long e.g. Nelson & Pears. Others such as Muggleton were just getting into the 1st team when hit by injury. TW still has a lot to learn but at least when he is faced with tough financial decisions like selling Styche et al., he didn't chuck his toys out of the pram and scuttle off to greener pastures.
Yes, but counter point, if he hadn't pointlessly bought Ainge, he probably wouldn't have had to sell Styche, who didn't actually want to leave.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 pm

...added to the fact that poor performances on the pitch have reduced the budget.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:41 pm

H1987 wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Yes, but counter point, if he hadn't pointlessly bought Ainge, he probably wouldn't have had to sell Styche, who didn't actually want to leave.
Yes, but counter counter point, sometimes things in football (as in life) don't quite go to plan.

I don't think Wright is gold plated, far from it. What concerns me the most is the teams inconsistency - the way they blow hot and cold. In short we have too many "off days" :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:07 pm

My biggest fear is that under TW this is how it's going to be going forward, one step forward and you think we've finally got it sorted and then there's two steps back again. There seems to have been the same pattern instead of a slow and steady improvement (and I don't mean we have to win every game because I don't expect that).

The way the summer signings panned out doesn't fill me with confidence in TW either: Maddison (has had to be replaced due to repeated errors), Henshall (no impact, poor signing), Burn (terrible signing), Hughes (solid enough CB but can't play in role TW signed him for so squad is unbalanced), Ainge (great central defender but no impact in role TW signed him for so again meaning unbalanced squad). Hughes was brought in as the key central midfield mainstay and that clearly was never going to work out and it has had ramifications ever since. However, Nicholson and Elliott both good signings in my view. It's no good saying things may have looked OK on paper with some of the signings because these are down to managers doing thorough homework, checking out fitness etc and making sound judgement calls based on all the evidence. And in a small, concentrated squad the effects of several big recruitment errors in the summer has been magnified.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Right now, i've voted no. But if we finish the season well, i'd change that to yes. We're not in a position to make rash decisions.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm

This topic should be renamed "TWEXIT". :D

darlo999

Post by darlo999 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Wright seems to be too soft with these bunch of players....get Martin Gray back into toughness them up with a few key signings we’ll push onto the playoffs next season!
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:53 pm

darlo999 wrote:Wright seems to be too soft with these bunch of players....get Martin Gray back into toughness them up with a few key signings we’ll push onto the playoffs next season!
I heard a weird rumour the other day that some football clubs have managers who are neither Martin gray or Tommy Wright.

In fact, apparently there's even clubs whose managers never played for darlo at all!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm

darlo999 wrote:Wright seems to be too soft with these bunch of players....get Martin Gray back into toughness them up with a few key signings we’ll push onto the playoffs next season!

:thumbup: Great idea, Gray's presence and easy going manner will bring everyone together - the players, the fans, senior management.........
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:36 am

Whether Tommy goes or not it’s irrelevant as we can’t afford to go the next league so that would put most ambitious managers off

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 am

quakersfan wrote:Whether Tommy goes or not it’s irrelevant as we can’t afford to go the next league so that would put most ambitious managers off
Interesting point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:50 am

It's not a gray area, no no no . unless you really are wanting to bankrupt the club . egoistical loud mouth.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 am

quakersfan wrote:Whether Tommy goes or not it’s irrelevant as we can’t afford to go the next league so that would put most ambitious managers off
Depends how you look at it - it would put off managers who want to get success by just spending money.

Martin Gray claimed to be an ambitious manager. He actually had a lot of credit when he left us, probably of interest to teams in the NL. His performance at York have basically made him a no go for teams now.

If a manager managed to get us promoted they would not be our manager for long after that regardless of performance in the division above.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 am

tdk1 wrote:
I heard a weird rumour the other day that some football clubs have managers who are neither Martin gray or Tommy Wright.

In fact, apparently there's even clubs whose managers never played for darlo at all!
That's not possible. It an FA regulation the next boss has to be "Darlo through and through".
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:36 am

lo36789 wrote:
Depends how you look at it - it would put off managers who want to get success by just spending money.

Martin Gray claimed to be an ambitious manager. He actually had a lot of credit when he left us, probably of interest to teams in the NL. His performance at York have basically made him a no go for teams now.

If a manager managed to get us promoted they would not be our manager for long after that regardless of performance in the division above.
I think DJ mentioned to compete in NL the club will need another 200K into budget with increased playing budget and other costs associated with travel overnight stays etc.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am

quakersfan wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I think DJ mentioned to compete in NL the club will need another 200K into budget with increased playing budget and other costs associated with travel overnight stays etc.
Yep...I still see that an ambitious manager could see that taking us into the NL would be good for his / her ambitions.

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:44 pm

lo36789 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Yep...I still see that an ambitious manager could see that taking us into the NL would be good for his / her ambitions.
Absolutely, Lo.

Anyone who got us promoted into the National League on our budget would get a shot at a higher level, certainly a top-end National League side at the very least, even if we finished bottom the following season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:

This Gray/Wright thing has been talked over before, and personally I’m not anti Gray or pro Wright, far from it.

Gray was a good fit when the 1883 thing started. He was “the right man at the right time” and I’m sure he put in loads of extra hours during those early years to help get us moving forward. His dogged persistence and football experience helped to propel us up the leagues but by the time we arrived back in Darlington in our present league he’d become too big for his boots, he was a problem in himself, as he thought it was all about him and his reputation and his goals and ambitions.

Wright is a better fit for us now. He acts like an employee and works to his remit, without getting surly and sulky. Whether he’s actually a better manager than Gray (football matters only) is debatable, because I think the job that they’ve both had to take on whilst here are not comparable.

I think that Wright wouldn’t of been able to do what Gray did, however Gray thought that struggling in the National North was beneath him, he couldn’t get it together at York though so he can’t be that brilliant.

Anyway I’m sure the manager situation will resolve itself one way or the other by this time next year. At present I’m not too worried about it - what's happened this season has been far from brilliant but that's how things go sometimes.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 am

Is there a projected closing date for the poll? Surprised that supporters of one side or the other have not stuffed the ballot box electronically, spoofing IP & email address! Looks very much like it is going like Brexit, so let's just kick the can down the road. ;)

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:09 am

I think we have to stick with it together and pull together for the sake of our football club, it's a known fact that as one you're stronger, diversity causes major problems. I helped fight to keep my club going I put monies several ways into the club.
I believe that the people at the top table know better than us what is required and they will do all they can to run our club within its means, which they have been doing, Tommy for his part is doing as best he can with the resources at his disposal. A. N. Other would not have fared as well I think. Let's all pull in the same direction.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:35 pm

The voting right now just about replicates the Brexit vote; 52% want to bin the current arrangements. This seems a lower figure than I expected but as set out elsewhere I've changed my mind about Wright and believe he - and White - must have learned something during their time here. I don't think it's quite like the Ferguson situation in his first couple of seasons but if Thommo scores a late winner at Hereford today it might swing it for him and it could come good. Too many clubs change their managers without long term benefits and at our level it seems pointless. They merit another season. I see that Gray's name has resurfaced in this thread and feel like defending his time at York. A bad place to work and I don't think he had long enough time, it'll be interesting to see how long Watson lasts even when they carry on winning.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Presumably we'll be allowed to make a final decision if and when more information comes to light then? 8-)