Telford V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Telford V Darlington

Post by AndyPark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Gramps, you're constantly on about people being abusive and then you use the worst obscenity I can think of. Double standards methinks and picking up lo over what's clearly a fun remark, petty to say the least.
We've won 5, drawn 5 and lost 5 in the last 15 according to Andy and based on what we've got I'm not unhappy with that. I really think we're missing a strong, tough tackling bulldog in midfield-that would be a huge plus.
I'm not sure where Andy gets his stats from, but we've only won 4 out of the last 21!
If you’re gonna try and slate my stats, look closer at my signature.

“Includes all cup games”...

Since 17/18th December, we’ve won 5, drawn 5 and lost 5...

- If I remember rightly, we’ve beaten Stockton, York, Ashton, Kidderminster, Blyth = 5 wins.
- If I remember rightly, we’ve drawn with Altrincham, Alfreton, Curzon, Southport, Chorley.
= 5 draws.
- If I remember rightly, we’ve lost to York, Hartlepool, Spennymoor, Brackley, Telford.
= 5 defeats.

Unless I am mistaken?! :roll:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Maybe he's included one of the ones we should have won!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Gramps, you're constantly on about people being abusive and then you use the worst obscenity I can think of. Double standards methinks and picking up lo over what's clearly a fun remark, petty to say the least.
We've won 5, drawn 5 and lost 5 in the last 15 according to Andy and based on what we've got I'm not unhappy with that. I really think we're missing a strong, tough tackling bulldog in midfield-that would be a huge plus.
I'm not sure where Andy gets his stats from, but we've only won 4 out of the last 21!

- If I remember rightly, we’ve beaten Stockton, York, Ashton, Kidderminster, Blyth = 5 wins.
- If I remember rightly, we’ve drawn with Altrincham, Alfreton, Curzon, Southport, Chorley.
= 5 draws.
- If I remember rightly, we’ve lost to York, Hartlepool, Spennymoor, Brackley, Telford.
= 5 defeats.

Oh, we are including Stockton??? Seems a bit desperate. That would make it 5 wins in 23 then.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:09 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

= 5 draws.
= 5 defeats.

Oh, we are including Stockton??? Seems a bit desperate. That would make it 5 wins in 23 then.
Or 8 in 26...I guess it depends if you want to start your count after a win or before it doesn’t it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Or 5 in 15, eternally optimistic.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 pm

lo36789 wrote:Or 8 in 26...I guess it depends if you want to start your count after a win or before it doesn’t it.
Yes, usually when counting the number of games in a bad run one starts at the beginning of the bad run.

TW has 5 win in 23 games (including the mighty Stockton). Steve Staunton got the sack for 4 wins in 25 games.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:52 am

Includes all senior cup games, so get off ya high horse trying to score points so it suits your TW out agenda.

Okay, I will take out the 2 Durham cup games.

That leaves 4 wins, 5 draws and 4 defeats in the last 13 games from the draw down in Altrincham.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 am

Why not just keep it simple and use League, FA Trophy and FA Cup, the important competitions, and it's 8 wins in a total of 35 games. No arguments. That long-term stat is fair to everyone. It's a win ratio of 22.8%

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 am

Technically classed as a 1st team fixture, so it gets added.

What the f*ck does it matter :lol: :lol:

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 am

I think most of his key signings havent been successful and that is the main issue along with DJ saying we were going for the playoffs.

Expectations set high, with results way below that for various reasons ... some possibly out of his control.

Hopefully the board see sense and give him until Christmas to improve the performances and results. If there is no improvement then he has to go.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:32 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:I think most of his key signings havent been successful and that is the main issue along with DJ saying we were going for the playoffs.

Expectations set high, with results way below that for various reasons ... some possibly out of his control.

Hopefully the board see sense and give him until Christmas to improve the performances and results. If there is no improvement then he has to go.
Why would we do that? if we are not happy and his contract is up he should go then - we should get in the situation where we pay compensation.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Do we actually know what his contract situation is?

It was alluded on here by others that it might extend beyond this season.

I think we judge at the end of the season, as i've been saying for a while, but it has been underwhelming. I want us to have a degree of stability, and don't agree with chopping and changing all the time, but some of the signings concern me, among other issues - the biggest one being i still don't think he is terribly tactically astute, and just tries different systems over and over until something works - and when it does work, it's more chance than anything else.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote: Are they any fan boys?

The only ones desperate not to get rid is because of the financial elements from what I can see. They largely are willing him to do well because the alternative of relegation is not something they want to contemplate and there board already have no cash flow, never mind trying to get a new manager in with no cash.
I think MKDarlo has a point, there are definitely people who are happy to see Wright remain in charge, regardless of results. You can tell by the comments on here they think underperforming on the pitch is a price worth paying for a manager who does as he's told when it comes to finances.

I mean in your reply, you've just said the alternative to sacking Wright is relegation and financial armageddon. This is where accusations of fan-boyism come from.

As for finances, we've already cut the budget because fans aren't turning up. And why aren't they turning up? A significant part of that is there's nothing for us to play for on the pitch. And when they do turn up, there's 60% chance they'll see ineptitude from us. On a full price, attendances are down to 1200. We can't get above 1500 with a special offer.

So the argument about Wright being good for our finances doesn't stack up. He's playing a part in damaging our financial prospects, through the team's inconsistency on the pitch and his not getting the best out of a competitive budget.

The more I think about, the I actually see no reason whatsoever to keep him in the summer.
I didn't write the alternative to sacking Wright is relegation, what I wrote was most are willing Wright to do well as the alternative of him not, is relegation - as in him taking us down. Basically the board have stuck their neck on the line that Wright will keep us up, for that reason I want him to keep us up the alternative is disaster.

I also didn't say he was good for our finances, however when you have no cash to pay him off and entice another manager in you have the issue where the board are currently, again they are hoping the sticking with Wright is better than getting rid. Also you need a new academy coach and probably some new manager demands, plenty turned us down last time. Not reasons on their own to keep Wrigthbut all factors in the board thinking.

If I am a fanboy then that's news to me, I don't expect anything from Wright I think he is a poor to below average manager. I do wonder if the board are getting the finances straight so that if we did remove the manager in the future we are a more appealing proposition, although I don't think we plan that way.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:03 pm

I am not sure how you could model / forecast the impact of removing Wright as manager. Clearly some here think it would have a potential positive impact on attendances etc. but if the replacement we get in does even worse...then what?

I am not sure anyone is hugely pro-Wright I think everyone sees the jury is constantly out on him as it is any manager who flirts with relegation - even those who have had success previously never mind those with a patchy record (at best).

Some are just happy to continue to give him a chance as there have been some flashes of good stuff so maybe it isn’t too ridiculous to think with time he will learn how to make those good things happen more consistently - because he is still learning as we all are in our jobs. The alternative which we may opt for is hardly guaranteed to be any more successful.

I always think you learn most / develop more from things which go wrong...and I guess I live in some hope TW is continually trying to improve so will reflect on his mistakes.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

The only ones desperate not to get rid is because of the financial elements from what I can see. They largely are willing him to do well because the alternative of relegation is not something they want to contemplate and there board already have no cash flow, never mind trying to get a new manager in with no cash.
I think MKDarlo has a point, there are definitely people who are happy to see Wright remain in charge, regardless of results. You can tell by the comments on here they think underperforming on the pitch is a price worth paying for a manager who does as he's told when it comes to finances.

I mean in your reply, you've just said the alternative to sacking Wright is relegation and financial armageddon. This is where accusations of fan-boyism come from.

As for finances, we've already cut the budget because fans aren't turning up. And why aren't they turning up? A significant part of that is there's nothing for us to play for on the pitch. And when they do turn up, there's 60% chance they'll see ineptitude from us. On a full price, attendances are down to 1200. We can't get above 1500 with a special offer.

So the argument about Wright being good for our finances doesn't stack up. He's playing a part in damaging our financial prospects, through the team's inconsistency on the pitch and his not getting the best out of a competitive budget.

The more I think about, the I actually see no reason whatsoever to keep him in the summer.
I didn't write the alternative to sacking Wright is relegation, what I wrote was most are willing Wright to do well as the alternative of him not, is relegation - as in him taking us down. Basically the board have stuck their neck on the line that Wright will keep us up, for that reason I want him to keep us up the alternative is disaster.

I also didn't say he was good for our finances, however when you have no cash to pay him off and entice another manager in you have the issue where the board are currently, again they are hoping the sticking with Wright is better than getting rid. Also you need a new academy coach and probably some new manager demands, plenty turned us down last time. Not reasons on their own to keep Wrigthbut all factors in the board thinking.

If I am a fanboy then that's news to me, I don't expect anything from Wright I think he is a poor to below average manager. I do wonder if the board are getting the finances straight so that if we did remove the manager in the future we are a more appealing proposition, although I don't think we plan that way.
Super Les you obviously know a lot within the club but I don’t think I’ve read anywhere what is TW actual contract length. Also DJ & JT have never said who they interviewed after Gray left so to say people turned us down is simply guessing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 pm

We know that David McGurk and Alun Armstrong turned us down. As did Wright initially.

We also know we asked to speak to Chris Hardy but he didn’t want to speak to us.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 pm

lo36789 wrote:We know that David McGurk and Alun Armstrong turned us down. As did Wright initially.

We also know we asked to speak to Chris Hardy but he didn’t want to speak to us.
All conjecture and gossip was it actually confirmed by the DFC board.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 pm

It was confirmed by them and their clubs. It’s not really normal for clubs to do a press release to confirm that they have been turned down by someone who applied for a job with you and you offered it to them...

I am not sure the DFC board is the only verified source of information.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm

quakersfan wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Super Les you obviously know a lot within the club but I don’t think I’ve read anywhere what is TW actual contract length. Also DJ & JT have never said who they interviewed after Gray left so to say people turned us down is simply guessing.
You can say it's guessing if you want, I could say I have spoken to at least one said manager and even asked the reason why but we are just two user names on the internet discussing it and if we can only go by information the club has released then we go with that then.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Go on, give us a cryptic clue.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Go on, give us a cryptic clue.
You will have to wait until the board announce it ;)

In other words Lo has already given the name.

I wouldn't take the below as gospel but this was pretty much common knowledge at the time, although doesn't make it fact.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/a ... -a-manager

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

lo36789 wrote:We know that David McGurk and Alun Armstrong turned us down. As did Wright initially.

Chris Hardy did speak to us after the initial interviews were completed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:44 pm

According to a well known fan on here, Hardy accepted the job and then we turned back to Wright.