Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

robsraiders
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:34 pm

yeah I appreciate HKR have massive injury problems so they did well to cope, poor ref as you say, was listening to Humberside radio on way home and their fans were slaughtering them! When will McGuire learn to keep his mouth shut ? Time for him to retire.
Yes time for a Wigan titter mate !

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 am

One swallow doesn't make a summer, at least we didn't bottle it in the grand final.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:54 am

Rob, it really annoys me pre season the fans were saying this was our best recruitment for years. (I actually believe it is), but 5 games in we are total sh27t. People did not realise how damaging those ruddy middle 8's were.
As the only club in them every season they were played they are going to take 3 years at least to get over.
I nearly joined the conversation some time ago when Pete mentioned them but decided against, but they were so unfair it was unbelievable.
I am only going to use 2017 to show my point.
KR pretty much ran away with the league and we had it sewn up with 5 games left to play. At that point the top 6-7 clubs in SL were sorting their squads and signing new players for 2018. Not only could we not do anything then, but for a further 8 weeks after that because of the 8's. That, in total, meant we could not start recruiting until 3 months after all the other SL clubs because even having won the league so convincingly we had no idea what league to plan for. That is in no way a level playing field.
I was talking to Shaun Lunt yesterday and he told me what happened with Danny M, and I have to say, I was in no way shocked that he faced no charges.
Remember that in the absence of Tonks he was skipper. Twice during the game he spoke, as captain, to Hewer and said if Hewer did not tighten up on the niggleing fouls, both ways, it would blow up. After the second time he was told if he spoke to Hewer again he would be binned. When Greenwood stuck the nut on Millingtons fist 3 times and was binned Danny simply asked why Greenwood was being binned. Surely as skipper that is allowed is it not? Shaun said he had spoken to a few of the players and every 1 of them said Danny did not swear at Hewer. The fact there was no action against him backs that up.
Year on year the standard of ref's is dropping. I wish the RFL would try to dip into the pool of Union ref's, who, in general, are far better.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:One swallow doesn't make a summer, at least we didn't bottle it in the grand final.
Totally agree but we lost it only because of the disruption Hardaker caused a couple of days before, luckily you now have him to fuck things up for you

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:27 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:Rob, it really annoys me pre season the fans were saying this was our best recruitment for years. (I actually believe it is), but 5 games in we are total sh27t. People did not realise how damaging those ruddy middle 8's were.
As the only club in them every season they were played they are going to take 3 years at least to get over.
I nearly joined the conversation some time ago when Pete mentioned them but decided against, but they were so unfair it was unbelievable.
I am only going to use 2017 to show my point.
KR pretty much ran away with the league and we had it sewn up with 5 games left to play. At that point the top 6-7 clubs in SL were sorting their squads and signing new players for 2018. Not only could we not do anything then, but for a further 8 weeks after that because of the 8's. That, in total, meant we could not start recruiting until 3 months after all the other SL clubs because even having won the league so convincingly we had no idea what league to plan for. That is in no way a level playing field.
I was talking to Shaun Lunt yesterday and he told me what happened with Danny M, and I have to say, I was in no way shocked that he faced no charges.
Remember that in the absence of Tonks he was skipper. Twice during the game he spoke, as captain, to Hewer and said if Hewer did not tighten up on the niggleing fouls, both ways, it would blow up. After the second time he was told if he spoke to Hewer again he would be binned. When Greenwood stuck the nut on Millingtons fist 3 times and was binned Danny simply asked why Greenwood was being binned. Surely as skipper that is allowed is it not? Shaun said he had spoken to a few of the players and every 1 of them said Danny did not swear at Hewer. The fact there was no action against him backs that up.
Year on year the standard of ref's is dropping. I wish the RFL would try to dip into the pool of Union ref's, who, in general, are far better.
Good explanation, being out of RL main area its not easy to keep up with the day to day affairs of clubs

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

Good to see that common sense has prevailed and Wigan have been back the 2 points they had been docked for breaching the salary cap. The points deduction has been suspended for a year.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 am

Good for Wigan. VERY bad for the game in general.
Just 3-4 seasons ago Salford were deducted 6 points for exactly the same offence. That was not returned.
Take your blinkers off Pete. RL in the UK is dying on its feet at the top level because of inconsistent reffing and total bad management from Red Hall.
Why is it that clubs like Wigan and Bradford can do as they wish, overspend and get away with it? The number of times Bradford have been bailed out beggars belief, even down to buying the lease on Odsal.
Just this season, Leigh, Keithley, and Widnes have all very nearly folded. Why no help for them from Redhall?
They allowed Toronto into the league and as with Catalans, allowed them to do their own TV deals, from which other clubs do not get a penny. Add to that, because of weather conditions in Canada, clubs are being "forced" by the RL to "Host" Toronto's home games until the weather gets better over there. They play Batley at Craven Park after our game with Cats next week.
Because they are there for Toronto's game, Sky have now decided to show KR's match as well. No payment for KR as they are there to film Toronto, who are being paid !!!!!
Toronto will have 4 fans there.
Batley maybe 50.
Cats, as a norm, bring 6.
Because it is now on TV KR will probably lose 500+ off the gate. (You can check that 1 yourself if you watch. Our average is 8,800, but as that includes the Hull gate the norm is 7,500 ish. I am laying odds we have under 7,000. at £20 a time that is a lot to lose.
All sanctioned by the gnomes of Redhall who you think have done a good job in allowing Wigan to break the rules and get away with it.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:58 pm

ED 10 Tigers players out tonight, will be hard to win this one, good start tho

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 am

You played well in parts, but I really do believe you were up against the best side in SL this year.
I hope they win it for Benny W if nothing else.
We learned yesterday that Lannon is out for at least 3 months. I really do wish we could get 1 or 2 of these 1-2 week injuries some clubs get. 3 months seems to be our minimum.
Could do with a KR win this week, otherwise the noise from the stands may get silly.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am

Funny old game.
Last season Udders were by far the worst team KR played in both games. I could not believe we were the only side to beat them in about 12-14 games and we not only beat them but smacked them twice.
As far as I saw it last night they have not improved, yet they totally bossed Wigan who were unbelievably poor.
My big query pre season was why Leeds were 15/2 with the bookies but KR were 60/1 to win the league.
While they won both league games last season even according to their fans we were unlucky both times and we won the 8's game at their place. We then sign 2 of their better players while they replace 1 of them with a lad who could not get into our side so the odds seemed "off" Think last nights result shows they are yet again a bottom 4 side not a league winners side.
Get the impression this could be a strange old season with a Leicester type result.
Still Warry for me.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:48 am

Took an hour and a half to get home with heater full blast and half an hour in the shower to nearly thaw out after yesterdays trip to Wakey. Never, ever, been so cold !!!
Pre game everyone,(both sides), was expecting a high score because of the weather.
When we hit half time with only a low scoring draw was both shocked and thought we had blown it.
Wakey will have gone home wondering how they lost, but in truth, we deserved it for hanging in as a tight Knit unit.
Once again, Danny MaG gets binned for asking the ref why he made a decision !!! He is really earmarked now, and it is wrong. I fully expect no charge on the matter, but glad Tonks is back against Cats on Sunday.
Another player out for the season we think. Reported Greenwood has an ACL. Poor sod missed most of last season with a similar injury and has been in really good form.
All in all a good weekend for us as we pulled away from the bottom teams while keeping up with the top. 6th at the end of the season? I will take that right now !!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Castleford finding there true position, with Wigan far below you!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Castleford finding there true position, with Wigan far below you!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Yet more long term injuries at KR Greenwood out for a year with torn ACL and Lannon has had surgery on torn ankle ligaments. May be back in 4 months if quick heeling.

That makes 12 out for over 6 months.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Pete, you should be worried about Wigan.
They look woeful.
Lucky you have Leeds and Udders who will keep you off the bottom.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am

A good weekend for rugby again so far.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:26 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm
Pete, you should be worried about Wigan.
They look woeful.
Lucky you have Leeds and Udders who will keep you off the bottom.
Yes I'm worried, but at least we showed some fight against Warrington, which hopefully will lead to calmer waters ahead.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am

Poor game at the CP yesterday. Ruined by a horrible wind straight into the North stand that at times had us fighting to breath. Glad I was not on the pitch !!!
Somehow we managed to lose a game we had won. Not helped by a try for Cats that was dropped and re-caught but missed by the ref, and the last 1 was any 1 from 3. Offside, knock on and a forward pass all in the 1 play.
Childs is shocking, and 3 more injuries to go with it. All the front 3 of our pack were injured Mosoe may make Friday but Lannon and Garbutt are very doubtful.
Struth, I am starting to sound like a Dull fan always complaining about injuries !!!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 am

When you start a game with 3 untried kids on the bench and a guy who very nearly died from illness just on Christmas time, you worry.

When you add a kid moving to prop and trying to take on 25KLO's extra weight than he has got, 2 more that should not have been playing according to the medics, and you get yet another injury in the 3rd minute, ..... You can sort of guess it is going to be a long night !!!!!!!

It was.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 am

Disaster for HKR who are really struggling and the same for Tigers comprehensively outplayed by a team I think will win the GF,not seen anyone as good as them so far.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, but the result was pretty comprehensive. It'll be interesting to see how Leeds get on at Catalan, hopefully they'll lose and not leave Wigan at the bottom of the table.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Started well but with 4 mins to half time I would put money on Cats now.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Rob, Saints next weekend and I am dreading it.
We might have Mulhern back but I am hearing 3 more doubtful after last night.
That will mean a minimum of 5 players who have never played senior rugby before.
Thinking our record defeat may be in serious danger and a long drive back up the M6 to the border afterwards to look forward to !!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 am

Good to see that Leeds lost at the Catalan Dragons, so stay bottom.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 am

Curious Pete. Who do you think will finish bottom 4 and who relegated?

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 pm
Rob, Saints next weekend and I am dreading it.
We might have Mulhern back but I am hearing 3 more doubtful after last night.
That will mean a minimum of 5 players who have never played senior rugby before.
Thinking our record defeat may be in serious danger and a long drive back up the M6 to the border afterwards to look forward to !!!!
Thats not good we had a decent team out and got stuffed so fear for you next week, good to see Leeds struggling will probably save Wigan from relegation :D :D

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 pm

When we were relegated in 16 we averaged 11 players missing per match through the season. I thought that was bad enough but it has reached epidemic proportions, and this after we trimmed the numbers to have a bit more class !!!
Plenty of fools calling for Tim Sheens head. 1 even said why have academy kids on the bench.(No explanation to who he would have had on it mind you). What could any coach do when 18 out of 29 players are injured?
The game really needs to get a reserve grade going. Our chairman wants to do it but has a valid point that when only 3-4 teams do it is actually better to have a sharing agreement in place with a lower team to get players game time.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 am
Curious Pete. Who do you think will finish bottom 4 and who relegated?
Impossible to say at the moment, as a lot will change before the end of the season. A lot will also depend on injuries to crucial players. Sides like Wigan, Warrington and St Helens, have more depth in their squads and can overcome shortcomings. Other sides will struggle if they get injuries to key players.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Just dipping into the chat. I watched Widnes off and on as I got the bug working there. Really pleased to see them getting up to zero points. I'm off to saints v hull kr on Friday with some mates!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm sure that Widnes will get comfortably clear of a relegation spot, but the 10 point deduction will probably have put an end to their chances of challenging for promotion back to the Premiership this season. Toronto are looking nailed on for top spot.