Darlington V Chorley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Chorley

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:TW will never be regarded as a tactical genius. Ever.
He got it virtually bang on today but it doesn't suit your agenda to give him any credit when its due.
His only mistake was taking both Thommo and Kneeshaw off together but one looked knackard and the other took a good crack on the leg first half.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

loan_star wrote:
divas wrote:
JE93 wrote:Yet another TW tactical master class. Trying to see out a game and you take of Kneeshaw who was playing well and you change a CM for a LW. When will he actually learn anything?
Kneeshaw was knackered and had stopped offering us anything defensively. Desperately needed another body in the middle which that change have us with Elliott moving across. Not sure he had to do the Nicholson > Thommo sub tho, don’t think that particularly gave us anything else.

Ultimately though after that Saunders could have won it on another day and their goal was more down to someone not picking their man up. You shouldn’t be giving a free header there from a 40 yard cross. More down to an individual error I think rather than game management, I didn’t think we were massively under the pump.

Had we kept forwards on and got done then some would have argued the other way. I thought for once tactically he wasn’t too far away. Always hard to take when you concede so late but far more positives today than brackley
Dont forget the keeper made a stunning save from Harvey to keep it at 1-0. If that goes in its game over and Tommy is a tactical genius.
You'll be looking a long time before anyone says that. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But for me, far too many times Wright makes a change in tactics or personnell which has led to us losing points. Tbh I'm just disillusioned with our management team, I don't see us getting any better with him in charge.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Shame we couldn't hold out for three points and we would have done if not for that fantastic save from Saunders' shot which would have killed them off. I can't see them being promoted this season as they looked very limited for a top of the table side and our new keeper (who looked very solid) had little to do in the main. Man of the match should have been Ainge (great defending and very vocal in organising everyone around him) or Smith (rock solid and a touch of class).

The game also featured one of the most ridiculous bookings I've ever seen. Elliott went to take a throw-in then left it for Galbraith who was booked for time wasting as he walked over (at a normal pace) the five yards to take it. In fact all of the bookings in the game were for nothing really.

A draw was probably about right in the end frustrating though it was.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:14 pm

Was a much improved performance... we were pressing so much some of the lads ran out steam and had to go off.

Kokolo is shocking

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:16 pm

JE93 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Dont forget the keeper made a stunning save from Harvey to keep it at 1-0. If that goes in its game over and Tommy is a tactical genius.
You'll be looking a long time before anyone says that. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But for me, far too many times Wright makes a change in tactics or personnell which has led to us losing points. Tbh I'm just disillusioned with our management team, I don't see us getting any better with him in charge.
To be fair my comment was a bit tongue in cheek because if he gets it wrong he's always classed as tactically inept, although he makes some big gaffs he's not as inept as people make out. In reality he's somewhere in the middle.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
He got it virtually bang on today but it doesn't suit your agenda to give him any credit when its due.
His only mistake was taking both Thommo and Kneeshaw off together but one looked knackard and the other took a good crack on the leg first half.
Don't start banging on about people having agendas. It's embarrassing. You sound like those political freaks who harass journos on Twitter because they don't say what they want.

I've even said it was a good performance today, but he did get things wrong too. It's not all or nothing, like you seem to see it.

I can just as easily say your agenda is to cheerlead for him at every opportunity. So let's not go down the road of agendas.

Personally I think in the second half we weren't savvy enough to keep the ball when needed, or be defensively resolute enough when needed. That to me indicates we couldn't cope with the pressure of trying to hold on. It was a good performance but conceding late on is immensely frustrating.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Don't start banging on about people having agendas. It's embarrassing. You sound like those political freaks who harass journos on Twitter because they don't say what they want.

I've even said it was a good performance today, but he did get things wrong too. It's not all or nothing, like you seem to see it.

I can just as easily say your agenda is to cheerlead for him at every opportunity. So let's not go down the road of agendas.

Personally I think in the second half we weren't savvy enough to keep the ball when needed, or be defensively resolute enough when needed. That to me indicates we couldn't cope with the pressure of trying to hold on. It was a good performance but conceding late on is immensely frustrating.
Perhaps you shouldn't edit your post after you have been quoted then.
I don't cheerlead for him as you put it, my comments on him after the Nuneaton game prove that. I give credit where it is due whereas plenty don't.
I agree with the last paragraph of your above comment however.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Careful, don't start agreeing with me. You'll combust. ;-)

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm

JE93 wrote:Yet another TW tactical master class. Trying to see out a game and you take of Kneeshaw who was playing well and you change a CM for a LW. When will he actually learn anything?
You could as easily lay the blame at strikers who didn’t score when 1-0 up and then it would have been academic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Got to mention our new keeper Jake Turner, agreed he had little to do, but after about 10/15 minutes you could see he was self assured, great kicking and had to make one save in the first half tipping the ball over at full stretch , taking high crosses/balls into the box with ease, so yea felt for the first in awhile not to have kittens when the ball was heading into our penalty area.
Last edited by Darlopartisan on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 pm

What was the attendance please? Cant find it anywhere,chs.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 pm

So what's the plan for Telford on Tuesday? Same again, or did kneeshaw, Palmer, thommo look that knackered? Hughes to return?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
You could as easily lay the blame at strikers who didn’t score when 1-0 up and then it would have been academic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shall I do the same for the Brackley tactical nightmare not to mention the countless others over his tenure, the multiple thrown away points this season? Our general lack of improvement under his tenure.

I have mentioned in previous posts this isn't a today feeling. This is a general feeling that over his tenure we have got no where near what this team, in spells, has shown us that they are capable of.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:What was the attendance please? Cant find it anywhere,chs.
I think it was 1213

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:36 pm

divas wrote:
Kneeshaw was knackered and had stopped offering us anything defensively. Desperately needed another body in the middle which that change have us with Elliott moving across. Not sure he had to do the Nicholson > Thommo sub tho, don’t think that particularly gave us anything else.

Ultimately though after that Saunders could have won it on another day and their goal was more down to someone not picking their man up. You shouldn’t be giving a free header there from a 40 yard cross. More down to an individual error I think rather than game management, I didn’t think we were massively under the pump.

Had we kept forwards on and got done then some would have argued the other way. I thought for once tactically he wasn’t too far away. Always hard to take when you concede so late but far more positives today than brackley
Tommo was carrying a knee knock I believe that's why he were subbed

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
I think it was 1213
Thanks, was hoping for a few more.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:02 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:Was a much improved performance... we were pressing so much some of the lads ran out steam and had to go off.

Kokolo is shocking
FFS he is a young kid who hasn't played much so yeah let's knock the lad...Brilliant

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:
I think it was 1213
Thanks, was hoping for a few more.
It's a product of our season sizzling out to nothing, and not much to entice fans back with. Don't look like going down, not going to do a whole lot else this year.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm not really sure what Kokolo did wrong to be honest :eh:

The only shocking thing about today was Adam McGurk - surely deserved a straight red for that barnet.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Well now that I've read these pages I see at last why our manager took off the two players who seemed most of a threat to Chorley. Not sure where the 5 minutes of injury time came from, but our fault for not seeing the game out. Kneeshaw seemed to be making a right nuisance of himself to the other team and we could do with a good nuisance again. Bit like Styche used to be I thought. And I thought Thommo's skill going past players solo today was quite amazing; a joy to watch. A draw was a fair result but it was points chucked away in injury time.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Hard to bear them equalizing after a very good first half. Think a lot of people forget that Chorley were #1, but second half we did run out of steam so could not press as well as we did in first half. Can appreciate Thommo being crocked and Kneeshaw not yet able to last 90mns, but we do need a proper striker. Nelson showed us what is possible with a natural striker, so TW has to get this sorted asap. At least it was a good deal better effort than Brackley.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:43 pm

People have to realise that we have played 2 full time teams and top of the league so 2 points is not great but it's better than nothing so let's judge TW on the games coming soon against teams below and around us.. FFS keep the faith lads

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 pm

[quote="HarrytheQuaker"]People have to realise that we have played 2 full time teams and top of the league so 2 points is not great but it's better than nothing so let's judge TW on the games coming soon against teams below and around us.. FFS keep the faith lads

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk[/quote

Not wrong there, Harry! We do lack game management which is reflected in our position in the league. We do seem to play better against top teams who try to play football, so just hope we can repeat the kind of football we played in the 1st half v Chorley :thumbup:

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 pm

I thought we were excellent, just a lapse in concentration that lead to the free header for their goal. The defence was solid with Ainge winning everything in the air and it was great to see Galbraith back.

Kneeshaw had a great game and it was his hard work that earned him his goal, it would be nice to see him sign up for next season.

As for Henshall, when we think we'd got rid of Caton, we manage to find ourselves a new one.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Thought 1200 crowd seemed a bit more than was actually there my guess would have been nearer 1000 a lot of space in tin shed around me

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Thought 1200 crowd seemed a bit more than was actually there my guess would have been nearer 1000 a lot of space in tin shed around me
It seemed plausible to me

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 pm

JE93 wrote:Shall I do the same for the Brackley tactical nightmare
No I think you should explain the sure fire way we could have played against Brackley which would have guaranteed us the points...

I don’t think tactically we were bad against Brackley. Player for player they were simply the better side.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:
No I think you should explain the sure fire way we could have played against Brackley which would have guaranteed us the points...

I don’t think tactically we were bad against Brackley. Player for player they were simply the better side.
Nothing is guaranteed in football, but if you want my view on the Brackley game. Tommy even came out after the Brackley game and said he got it tactically wrong. We moved away from a formation that conceded 3 in 5 games. We left Ainge isolated for most of the game by playing Thompson and Henshall too wide. Ainge had taken a knock early on, he's not the most mobile of CF's at the best of times so a knock would clearly leave us with issues but he doesn't sub him for Harvey or Kneeshaw till the 65th minute. Added to the basis that Ainge's performance in defence again suggests he's more than able to play CB when we need him to, as injuries potentially dictated on Wednesday night.

Have already said this is not just a today issue I have with TW, this is an accumulation of what I believe to be multiple poor decisions on his behalf. That we haven't showed a sustained improvement under his tenure. When we did in the final 3rd of last season he dismantled that team in the summer in favour of bringing in his own players to play a different system, unfortunately those signings haven't worked out as intended.

If you think he's doing a good job, you're entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. It doesn't change my support for the club one way or another.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:23 am

lo36789 wrote:

Lo36789 - your tiresome strawman arguments are just getting worse. No wonder people question your supposed intelligence so much, given your complete inability to grasp arguments.

Quite clearly JE93 was saying tactically TW could have done much better against Brackley. Criticising tactics in a game we were completely outgunned is perfectly legitimate.

Put it this way - against 4th-placed Brackley we got nowhere near. But against a better side today - the leaders no less - we were incredibly competitive. So saying it was just down to Brackley's players being better is demonstrably incorrect and suggests a complete lack of critical thinking on your part.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 am

Darlogramps wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Lo36789 - your tiresome strawman arguments are just getting worse. No wonder people question your supposed intelligence so much, given your complete inability to grasp arguments.

Quite clearly JE93 was saying tactically TW could have done much better against Brackley. Criticising tactics in a game we were completely outgunned is perfectly legitimate.

Put it this way - against 4th-placed Brackley we got nowhere near. But against a better side today - the leaders no less - we were incredibly competitive. So saying it was just down to Brackley's players being better is demonstrably incorrect and suggests a complete lack of critical thinking on your part.
DG and his posts remind me of Kryton.

I mean this as a genuine compliment,

That is all....