Darlington V Southport match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by poppyfield » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:41 am

Same team that started against Blyth according to TW.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

onewayup

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Play as well as last week and win today, it will be tough but the team play better against better option. Keep the game moving at a fast pace with clean passes, onwards and upwards with Darlington fc

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Not there today as I’m at a funeral in Bristol.

Hoping we can bring the 3 points home. Come on Darlo.

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Muggleton been taken off on a stretcher. Poor lad, was down for about 12 minutes before being lifted off.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm

FT 0-0, another clean sheet in the bag! Hopefully the injury to Muggleton isn't as bad as it looked and I wish him a speedy recovery!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:23 pm

That's 90 mins of my life I won't get back... God awful game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Not the best game to watch, I thought the Ref let far to many fouls go before he started to take action. Injury to Muggleton looked bad to me, carted off to hospital so we'll know how bad soon enough, hope he's ok.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Worst game of football I’ve seen for a long time. Their no 5 was a man mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Quaker85 wrote:Worst game of football I’ve seen for a long time. Their no 5 was a man mountain!

I was gutted when I had to work this afternoon and missed the game. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:57 pm

It was a similar style game to Alfreton, BPA, Stockport where we lost them all 1-0 at home earlier in the season. At the very least we managed to get a point out of a very boring game.

4 clean sheets in the last 6 games, decent crowd 1,462 I am sure the offer and weather helped this, be interesting to see if they club can analyse the crowd enough to see if it was worthwhile. Hard to say but if we didn't have an offer and we had got 1,462 I would have been delighted.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:59 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:It was a similar style game to Alfreton, BPA, Stockport where we lost them all 1-0 at home earlier in the season. At the very least we managed to get a point out of a very boring game.

4 clean sheets in the last 6 games, decent crowd 1,462 I am sure the offer and weather helped this, be interesting to see if they club can analyse the crowd enough to see if it was worthwhile. Hard to say but if we didn't have an offer and we had got 1,462 I would have been delighted.
I presume there weren't many from Southport?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Wasn’t pretty today but a point. Decent crowd as well which included 60 in hospitality according to Craig Morley. I wonder if that was the mild temperatures or the offer. If it worked they should do it for Wednesday night.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:It was a similar style game to Alfreton, BPA, Stockport where we lost them all 1-0 at home earlier in the season. At the very least we managed to get a point out of a very boring game.

I presume there weren't many from Southport?
They had a coach and I seen a handful of them, as expected really - teams don't really travel well generally.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Spoke to steward near the ambulance after the match, who said it was a broken leg. Think it is the last we will see of Muggleton, which is a shame for the lad. Up till then, he was MOTM for me & having a great game, making each throw in their half at least a half chance.
Ref was probably the worst we have seen at BM so far this season, a complete joke who had no authority and seemed to have an entirely different interpretation of the FA rules to anyone else, including his assistants. When we played football on the ground, we looked as good as any team in the league. Kneeshaw & Saunders gave us a bit more pace up front, but O'Hanlon gave their winger far too much room in2nd half. At least we kept a clean sheet.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Wright said that Muggleton and Galbraith went to hospital.

Muggleton they are hoping it's a dislocation and not a dislocation and a break.
Galbraith was concussion.

Safe to say you can rule them both out for Wednesday night.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:23 pm

In the end I was pleased with a point as they were a big, horrible, niggly, physical side who weren't afraid to hack people down if doing it fairly didn't work, a typical Liam Watson side really. But they are a full-time professional outfit who have spent a lot of cash and recycled the side yet again when they looked like they were heading for the Evo Stik. It was an awful game and we never really got our game going and thankfully they didn't take the one clear-cut chance they had near the end.

Terrible blow for Muggleton with his broken leg/ligament damage. Terrible ref who frequently gave the impression that he had something against us the way he ignored clear fouls.

I thought Kneeshaw looked very promising and I'd like to see him get a start next week.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 pm

I spoke to several of the Southport fans who were saying that the referee seemed to favour Southport they said he should have booked at least three of their players before he booked ours. So shows it was all about the referee when that happens he's generally of a poor standard. Shame about muggletons injury it was believed to be broken tibia /fibia, if right we won't see him again, I thought he did very well against blyth and had a good debut, again today untill the injury. Hope its not as serious as it appeared.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Looks like I may be in the minority with this but I think the crowd was poor today. Dropping prices we should have been looking at hitting 2k. Not sure what we average this season but im guessing it won't be far off the 1400 we got today.
As something to compare to Carlisle did an 8k for MK promotion today and they got nearly 10500 through the gate, an increase nearly 3 times their average attendance. All today's done is convinced me that there is no future at BM for us..

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm

You have to bear in mind that we are still just above the relegation zone and have not had a great season, in fact earlier we couldn't buy a home win. If we were in the thick of the promotion race on the run-in you could easily add a few hundred more to the attendance. The crowds are reflective of how the season has gone, even though we have picked up more recently.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

carlodarlo wrote:Looks like I may be in the minority with this but I think the crowd was poor today. Dropping prices we should have been looking at hitting 2k. Not sure what we average this season but im guessing it won't be far off the 1400 we got today.
As something to compare to Carlisle did an 8k for MK promotion today and they got nearly 10500 through the gate, an increase nearly 3 times their average attendance. All today's done is convinced me that there is no future at BM for us..
When I walked in I thought it looked like a decent crowd and guessed 1750 which was way off. It’s my view that the ground can only accommodate 1300 with a decent view for all. Once it goes over that you start to struggle.

I’m guessing that the £10 offer will prove to be financially neutral over the normal price.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

LoidLucan wrote:You have to bear in mind that we are still just above the relegation zone and have not had a great season, in fact earlier we couldn't buy a home win. If we were in the thick of the promotion race on the run-in you could easily add a few hundred more to the attendance. The crowds are reflective of how the season has gone, even though we have picked up more recently.
I think it's very difficult to understand 100% the effectiveness of any offer. I am sure the club had an expected attendance without the offer and you work out what that would lose, then if your crowd goes up that is then used to work out the difference.

Also it's not as simple as one day offer and that's it, you may add extra to future matches if some come back.

If I am honest I don't think we will make anything really extra but I am happy for the club to try this now and again, even if the regular's just get a cheaper game now and again. It gives something back in a sense, rather than the club always wanting. It's a positive effort to try and engage more fans/regular.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Wasn’t a great match.
Bad injury to Muggleton and Tez was pretty bad too.i

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Can't fault the club for putting on the offer, I just feel the crowd they got will have been quite a bit below what they had hoped for. As stated above we aren't having a great season and that obviously has contributed to lower than anticipated crowds but that's concerned me today.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
carlodarlo wrote:Looks like I may be in the minority with this but I think the crowd was poor today. Dropping prices we should have been looking at hitting 2k. Not sure what we average this season but im guessing it won't be far off the 1400 we got today.
When I walked in I thought it looked like a decent crowd and guessed 1750 which was way off. It’s my view that the ground can only accommodate 1300 with a decent view for all. Once it goes over that you start to struggle.

I’m guessing that the £10 offer will prove to be financially neutral over the normal price.

So you thought there were 1750 in with plenty of room around the sides and spare seats in the stand but you reckon only 1300 can see property :roll: .Brilliant.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Always difficult to get a true comparison but the takings today were up around 40% from the Nuneaton and Kidderminster where attendances had dropped to 1100.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:22 pm

You're perfectly correct and I think the club will probably be disappointed too.

There are a number of factors of course - our below par performance this season, and the fact we were playing mid-table opposition who weren't the most exciting of teams to play. And more than that, the wider apathy the town has with the club.

However, given our financial state, we probably can't afford to risk it on the bigger games which have a bigger financial reward.

I'd never criticise the club for trying these things but I think they'd certainly been hoping for a bigger take-up. No Premier League or Big 3 North East clubs in action either.

As for the game itself, even the purists would have grimaced watching that. Not a classic to say the least.

But it's encouraging we once again have a solid defence. It's inconsistent and at times unimpressive but we are keeping the points tally moving.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 pm

I doubt we’d get 2k it we let everyone in for free unfortunately - that number is just totally unrealistic at the moment. Have we ever hit that number apart from a play off or Spennymoor game? It’s also not relevant to look at the crowd versus the average. Truth is numbers had dropped to around 1100 for a “normal” Saturday. I’d classify the Southport game as having as much appeal as the Nuneaton and Kidderminster games where we had attracted around 1100. Attendances were on the slide and the offer today was about bringing more cash through the turnstile than we had been. We managed to do that so I’d class it as a relative success.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 pm

carlodarlo wrote:As something to compare to Carlisle did an 8k for MK promotion today and they got nearly 10500 through the gate, an increase nearly 3 times their average attendance. All today's done is convinced me that there is no future at BM for us..
Sorry can you explain the link between this and the future at BM?

Is suggestion that if we had played this at the Arena it would have worked? Because I am pretty sure we did the whole £10 offer a few times at the arena and the impact was negligible.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:45 pm

divas wrote:
I doubt we’d get 2k it we let everyone in for free unfortunately - that number is just totally unrealistic at the moment. Have we ever hit that number apart from a play off or Spennymoor game? It’s also not relevant to look at the crowd versus the average. Truth is numbers had dropped to around 1100 for a “normal” Saturday. I’d classify the Southport game as having as much appeal as the Nuneaton and Kidderminster games where we had attracted around 1100. Attendances were on the slide and the offer today was about bringing more cash through the turnstile than we had been. We managed to do that so I’d class it as a relative success.
This is a far more accurate, and honest, synopsis.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Also you don’t change things on the basis of one game. Habits aren’t formed over a single game, there needs to be a thought out campaign as to how we re-engage fans. Today was an experiment that as i say had relative success when compared to the Nuneaton and Kidderminster game.