''Donation” scheme

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

''Donation” scheme

Post by poppyfield » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:49 am

Thought I would flag this up, now its up and running, first donation has landed :thumbup:

https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupport ... /donations
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

norwich darlo

Re: ''Donation” scheme

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 am

poppyfield wrote:Thought I would flag this up, now its up and running, first donation has landed :thumbup:

I usually buy a match ticket that I don't use I will in future donate the ticket money to here saving the dreaded VAT.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am

@nd has landed -off we go!

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 am

target needs to be set to £1,000,000

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:target needs to be set to £1,000,000
Darlo fans have done it before....can do it again... Stroll in the park.ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 pm

very good work to whoever has done this. How about a totaliser somewhere. Everyone loves a totaliser!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Set the totaliser at 5 million - then we can build on the plot of land allocated for us at the Sporting Village. No sweat.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Set the totaliser at 5 million - then we can build on the plot of land allocated for us at the Sporting Village. No sweat.

QuakerPete

''Donation” scheme

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm

norwich darlo wrote:
poppyfield wrote:Thought I would flag this up, now its up and running, first donation has landed :thumbup:

I usually buy a match ticket that I don't use I will in future donate the ticket money to here saving the dreaded VAT.
Hope everyone (who can) follows your example - intend to even though I’ve got a season ticket. Look out for the fund-raising events, please donate even if you can’t attend. Let’s get this going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

If everyone buys into it would certainly create a positive debt free company with a brighter future outcome. However that's alot of ask, could we do it I don't know but it would be fun trying to find out.
Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc. Never say never with our marvelous fan base.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Get this pushed through the social media channels on a regular basis to keep the donations coming in.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

what is the latest project that we are fundraising for?

QuakerRCS
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by QuakerRCS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Stuck a little bit in.

holmesdale

Post by holmesdale » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am

I'm in - option 1 on DD.

Good initiative, now lets crack the target :clap:

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:what is the latest project that we are fundraising for?
General cash flow to allow the club to operate a bit easier on a day to day basis. Lots of clubs regardless of ownership mode tend to find things get tricky from February onwards because the season ticket and commercial money has generally been spent and if there’s any shortfall in the annual budget this is the time it starts to show as there’s only really matchday revenue every couple of weeks that is coming into the club. People can also help by coming to the southport game on Saturday and cajoling others to with the reduced price offer. 200 extra people will make £2k difference

The situation does go to show that in order to move forwards we simply have to find a way to generate non football revenue to keep us bringing cash into this club during this period.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:45 am

It is probably because I'm getting too old and confused to take all the latest info in, but we currently have this donation scheme live, and we now, also, have the 500 club renewal, which offered members a one year extension, which they may choose to offer as a donation. The donation scheme that is the subject of this thread seems to have no set purpose and only a nominal target, and beyond this thread, doesn't seem to have been publicised. In the great order of things, the kind of money that the 500 club extension is trying to raise and the publicity surrounding it seems to be swamping the worthy motives of having this secondary scheme for raising cash. I just wondered if this secondary donation scheme will draw enough interest when there is so much more noise and reward being offered elsewhere. If this scheme is to exist as a separate route to raising cash I do feel that it needs to have more airtime, and a greater separation of identity from the 500 club cash.

And on a slightly different tack, and following a long line of discussion on the subject, I do think it is worth raising the old chestnut of the donations of the many over the few. It has often been said that quite a large burden of the monetary contributions to the club have been taken on by a small but committed group of people, and I totally understand that some people are in a healthier financial state than others to allow them to do this. But it has also been a concern that even those people may have their limits to how deep they can go. Whilst the latest 500 club scheme goes back to that well once more, and will probably find enough support, yet again, to get the job done, I do think that there is an argument for getting a tap into the far larger number of supporters. On another thread there is a point being made that if the 500 club can't raise the £20,000 required that small contributions from all DFCSG members could be an alternative. If it is the case that this is a regular hole plugging exercise that we will, almost certainly, have to meet again next year, why not open this up to all supporters and raise the admission price by £1 for next season only, to get the club back in sync with its expenditure. I know that raising the admission is never popular, and some will be lost to the taxman, but this would share out the burden of gap plugging to a much wider audience.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 am

A very valid point and I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s probably not as clear as it can be but that’s probably more to do with the need to get some cash coming in quickly. In an ideal world everyone would make a no strings attached donation but we don’t really have the time for that to potentially not raise enough and the club’s strategic option was to offer 500 club extension but given the noise around it impacting future revenue also gave the option for those current 500 club holders to donate that amount instead. This fundraising activity is therefore limited to the 325 people who currently have a 500 club membership.

The donation option on the fundraising platform was set up at the request of a few fans who wanted an easier and more visible way of making a donation into the football club rather than handing over cash or setting up a bank transfer - it’s a legitimate point but it’s something that should run 365 days a year and not have any specific target/objective other than funding the day to day running of the club.

Therefore the two things are separate but ultimately the cash is going to go to the same place. People shouldn’t need to be told that they can donate to the club at any time if they wish but I do get that this lacks the inertia that a proper fundraising drive does, however I think the club are keen on striking a balance between selling a product to the fans to raise money and coming out and begging for money - it’s never a great PR move to say we’re broke etc.

As I’ve mentioned previously though, I do think we need to look at something that allows all fans to participate and not just the 325 x 500 club members - and of course they already can by making a donation but yes, perhaps we need to make that a little clearer. The main issue is that I don’t believe there is a firm target - the club will happily take anything they can and the more that’s raised the easier it is to run things on a day to day basis which makes fundraising a little bit more difficult than saying we need £X by X date. You don’t want to come out with a figure that will frighten people for want of a better word!!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:16 am

I know this won’t help at the moment but could we raised the DFCSG renewal to £25 this year. It’s only a small rise but if all 1000 members renew it would give an extra £5000.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:17 am

I’m confused about the extension to the 500 club and donation aspect. I thought the 500 club was essentially a five year season ticket? You can’t combine the two because they have different vat treatments.

Donations must be given freely for no consideration which means nothing is supplied in return. Match entry as a condition would constitute a taxable supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for that. I do understand the idea of having a general, undefined fund such as this donation scheme, with the rather more gentle purpose of getting small amounts in when people feel like it, rather like the buckets at the gates when people come into the ground. But I still think that, rather like rattling a bucket, the scheme needs a slightly higher profile. Short term schemes with specific targets always seem to grab the imagination, and provide motivation. It's a good idea that may just wither if folks aren't given a little reminder that it exists.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 am

Im sure the club will work on all of this and sort it out. Maybe the DFCSG will issue a statement about the new membership prices, the general donation pot and the future of the fundraising efforts..

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Quaker85 wrote:I’m confused about the extension to the 500 club and donation aspect. I thought the 500 club was essentially a five year season ticket? You can’t combine the two because they have different vat treatments.

Donations must be given freely for no consideration which means nothing is supplied in return. Match entry as a condition would constitute a taxable supply.
There are 2 options

1) existing 500 club members can choose to extend by 1 year
2) existing 500 club members can choose to make a donation equal to the price of a year extension but not take the extra year. As most of the initial subscribers have had their “money’s worth” with a season still to go this is seen as a way of them supporting the club but not impacting future revenue.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 am

dfc4me wrote:I know this won’t help at the moment but could we raised the DFCSG renewal to £25 this year. It’s only a small rise but if all 1000 members renew it would give an extra £5000.
It’s a possibility but would it just mean that less cash comes in through boost the budget - you’ve got to be mindful when launching any new activities that your doing something that will pull in incremental revenue and not just move it from one out to another. You’ve also go to be careful not to erode a membership base that has been built up with some hard work year on year. There is always the option to donate an additional amount at renewal time

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:30 am

I've just clicked the button on a £10 donation which ups the total to £116 from 11 investors. No doubt more will come in as folk decide that they can't make the game today so will opt to put a few quid into the pot instead.
I will be doing this on a semi regular basis (i,e, not a monthly direct debit) as and when personal finances permit.
It is worth remembering that a lot of little soon adds up to a lot! £££
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:07 am

Nice one! Yep that’s what the virtual bucket is there for!

eek

Post by eek » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:00 am

threw £20 into the pot. I'm not going today but were I going that's what I would spend so it can go directly into the funds without the VAT..

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 pm

eek wrote:threw £20 into the pot. I'm not going today but were I going that's what I would spend so it can go directly into the funds without the VAT..
This is what I will do for home games till the end of the season

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Maybe just me - but the donation page isn't loading?

Edit - working now - thrown a tenner in

Edit2! - I was about to donate a tenner but gives the impression I'm setting up a direct debit - but I just want to chuck donations in now and again

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Maybe just me - but the donation page isn't loading?

Edit - working now - thrown a tenner in

Edit2! - I was about to donate a tenner but gives the impression I'm setting up a direct debit - but I just want to chuck donations in now and again
Should be a one off payment, check the summary tab in the bottom right corner before proceeding.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Yeah all donations are just a one off (its been set up that way for this specific item) but we use a direct debit method to take the cash as it’s cheaper (less transaction fees)