Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethams
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by feethams » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

Burn spent most of the first half stood talking to the fans down near the turnstiles. I would have thought his time would have been better spent watching the game and how the players on both sides were doing, and perhaps listening to TW and AW's thoughts. If he wanted to have a chat and kick a ball around aimlessly he should have gone up the park with his pals.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 am

I didn't go last night so can't comment on specifics, but Burn overall has been one of our most disappointing signings. I wasn't expecting him to be as good as Heaton, but with his pedigree he should be capable of challenging for a place in what has been a pretty poor defense most of the season.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:55 am

Burn's errors cost us last night, no doubt about it. Aside from this we were comfortable and should have been out of sight by the time they equalised.

However, it is yet another lead we have surrendered this season. The lack of leaders in the team is obvious and under pressure we fold. If we go behind we give up. We are far too nice in midfield, with no physical presence at all. It's also obvious we need a finisher as soon as possible.

The reality is we signed a lot of technically decent players but not enough players capable of leading a side or happy to battle for points. Players like Nicholson and Thompson would flourish with a midfielder breaking up the play behind them and doing their dirty work.
Craig Liddle is God!!

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 am

Talking of the defence, I thought Ainge had a great game and was slightly unlucky that Thommo is also in great form and is more likely to catch the eye up front. As with Saturday we just didn't manage to find a killer second goal, but even despite that the team looked comfortably in control until 60 seconds of madness late on.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am

darlo_baron wrote:
The reality is we signed a lot of technically decent players but not enough players capable of leading a side or happy to battle for points. Players like Nicholson and Thompson would flourish with a midfielder breaking up the play behind them and doing their dirty work.
Yep - I actually don't think the squad is that far off being pretty decent at this level. 3 or 4 decent signings is what I reckon we need. We are crying out for a Ricky Ravenhill type player - someone nasty who wins the ball back and sets the tone. And a similarly nasty CB. We are far too nice. Then we need a proper striker and we could do with a more solid GK.

Whether there's enough scope in the budget with contracts ending to do that in the summer is a completely different question, when we factor in the inevitable fall in BtB contributions.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 am

Thought we did well for 80 minutes and need a goal scorer desperately to put away all the chances we created. Thought Ainge was outstanding again and is a much better centre half than forward and Wheatley can play at a higher level.
What I just don’t get however is when 1-2 down with 7/8 minutes to go in a win or lose game does TW stick with 5 at back.......Ainge should have been sent up as an extra attacker immediately they scored the second.....surely!! The guys tactical nous just continues to defy logic!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 am

darlo_baron wrote:Burn's errors cost us last night, no doubt about it. Aside from this we were comfortable and should have been out of sight by the time they equalised.

However, it is yet another lead we have surrendered this season. The lack of leaders in the team is obvious and under pressure we fold. If we go behind we give up. We are far too nice in midfield, with no physical presence at all. It's also obvious we need a finisher as soon as possible.

Absolutely spot on.The only thing I can add to this is a replacement keeper for Maddison, beaten far too easily IMO and over the season has cost us a lot of points.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am

It has become increasingly obvious to me that the defence has little or no confidence in Maddison.
His positioning is at best suspect, organising a solid wall, which he then seems to hide behind is clearly a skill as yet un mastered. Worst of all his reaction time is really not that good.
During the Spennymoor game, Galbraith in particular would take a risk rather than back pass to Maddison.
I concur with Q2

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Maddison made a terrible mistake in the very first game of the season against Curzon Ashton when he dropped a ball into the net to hand them a way back into the game. Unfortunately mistakes have followed him at fairly regular intervals as the season has progressed although he has had some very good games as at Southport when he was the main reason we got a point.

Unfortunately overall he doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes or progressing for whatever reason and we can't take him out of the firing line in a bid to re-focus. You do now start to wonder whether this is just what you're going to get with him moving forward, some good games but also a pattern of fairly regular and costly errors. Having said that, I don't think he was to blame for what happened last night and he pulled off a couple of good saves in the match.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Re Maddison - it's got to the stage now where I've given him a middle name :) which is "he worries me"

Johny "he worries me" Maddison - that's what pops into my head when they read out the teams before a match.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 pm

I f Galbraith is injured for Saturday I really don't fancy Burn at Curzon Ashton. I think Vaulks would do a better job than him but he's still in his load period at Pickering. Would rather we called Vaulks back if possible than play Burn.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Positives: Good crowd and more money to help the cash flow

Negatives: Three potential injuries.

Can we get on games that really matter now?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Having watched the highlights, the ball from Burn to Ainge wasn't ideal but it was an easy clearance for Ainge. Think it's a bit harsh to pin it on Burn.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Having watched the highlights, the ball from Burn to Ainge wasn't ideal but it was an easy clearance for Ainge. Think it's a bit harsh to pin it on Burn.
Come on people on here have to slate somebody after the game and totally knock there confidence after a defeat this week it's Burn..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Having watched the highlights, the ball from Burn to Ainge wasn't ideal but it was an easy clearance for Ainge. Think it's a bit harsh to pin it on Burn.
Tend to agree, Ainge had sufficient time to make a clean clearance but I do like him and I would stick with him at CB permanently as he is a good talker and solid as a rock.Our 3 centre backs are sorted now, really like Will Smith but when he returns to Barnsley, a back 3 of Ainge,Tez and Liam Hughes looks pretty good to me.Looking at the highlights, obviously Burn was outjumped but Maddison was equally poor as it was straight at him and he weakly parried it onto the crossbar instead of over.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tend to agree, Ainge had sufficient time to make a clean clearance but I do like him and I would stick with him at CB permanently as he is a good talker and solid as a rock.Our 3 centre backs are sorted now, really like Will Smith but when he returns to Barnsley, a back 3 of Ainge,Tez and Liam Hughes looks pretty good to me.Looking at the highlights, obviously Burn was outjumped but Maddison was equally poor as it was straight at him and he weakly parried it onto the crossbar instead of over.

Thought we had Smith till the end of the season?

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:58 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Was really meaning when he no longer plays for us....Ainge,Hughes and Tez seems a formidable back 3 to me and a threat at set pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm

quakerman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Was really meaning when he no longer plays for us....Ainge,Hughes and Tez seems a formidable back 3 to me and a threat at set pieces.

Until you come up against a team who plays it on the floor with half an ounce of pace

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:31 pm

al_quaker wrote:
darlo_baron wrote:
Yep - I actually don't think the squad is that far off being pretty decent at this level. 3 or 4 decent signings is what I reckon we need. We are crying out for a Ricky Ravenhill type player - someone nasty who wins the ball back and sets the tone. And a similarly nasty CB. We are far too nice. Then we need a proper striker and we could do with a more solid GK.

Whether there's enough scope in the budget with contracts ending to do that in the summer is a completely different question, when we factor in the inevitable fall in BtB contributions.
Yup. Agree with all of the above. We have some excellent footballers which can cause problems for any team at this level. The defence, when fully fit has improved drastically and a settled 3 of Hughes, Smith and Galbraith has proven to be pretty solid.

Scope to brink in a GK I imagine is going to prove difficult, assuming Maddison is on a two year deal. He lacks consistency to say the least, so is definitely a concern going forward.

Reference BTB, I agree, I expect a smaller uptake in contributions next season unfortunately. The only way I can realistically see that changing is that we make the playoffs (never going to happen) or Tommy goes. This of course will leave us in a poor place on the pitch, which nobody wants.

As an aside, I actually believe the boost the budget scheme has been an excellent and manageable way of raising funds for the club. I'm positive Wimbledon fans commit monthly fees to their club in a similar guise. Hopefully, boost the budget continues but maybe re-branded so fans don't directly associate poor performances with the money they regularly contribute.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:47 pm

I though Smith, Trotman and Ainge were excellent in defence and until they scored were well on top apart from that great save Maddison made in the first half. I was amazed at the number of coppers at the game. At least we don't have to pay for those that were outside of the ground.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm

bga wrote:
quakerman wrote:Our squad is far too thin and Tommy without a doubt needs another striker urgently.Another midfielder with some physical presence and a keeper to put some pressure on Maddison are no brainers, and obviously these need to be loan signings.Ridiculous scoreline tonight, but missed chances and defensive cockups are what we have become accustomed to.Looks like Burn will be seen as responsible for both goals but could Maddison have done better for the first?.Not 100% but it seemed saveable to me.

I thought Ainge was responsible for the 2nd goal?
If you're basing this off the commentary, the two goals were so quick that I was still noting down the first one, then I looked up just in time to see Ainge thump it against Muir which let Hawkes in - but I have to admit to not seeing the horror show of a pass from Burn that landed him there in the first place. Apart from that, I thought Ainge had a superb game last night.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Cast iron certainty that BTB will take a big hit next season,certainly if Wright is still here,so hopefully the loan system will be used from the off.Two or three of the same quality as Smith and Nelson would be a great addition.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Emdubya wrote:Cast iron certainty that BTB will take a big hit next season,certainly if Wright is still here,so hopefully the loan system will be used from the off.Two or three of the same quality as Smith and Nelson would be a great addition.
I thought it had already been stated that in future we will look to use the loan market to bolster the squad?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am

I enjoyed the game, although disappointed in the 2 goals we gave away. We missed some sitters I thought, Saunders is now getting in some excellent positions, just needs to be more composed in front of the goal instead of head down and just hit it and he will get some goals will that boy. Thought Ainge was dominant at the back, except for the second goal, (I do not blame Burn for that one). Burn was sent back from his loan by York due to his weakness in the air I seem to remember and the first goal was exactly that but something he should be able to sort?

Need to mention the crowd and especially the Tin Shed, the noise generated was awesome at times and reminded me of the original Tin Shed "good days" noise.

Also need to thank all those who helped with the covers, some great fans there who turn up time and again, (although I am sure they would like a few more at times :) )

It has been mentioned on here about the BTB, I for one are more than happy to continue my direct debit for next year whoever the manager is, as it is the only way we will stay in the league and I am not one to have a "cut off my nose to spite my face" scenario's, as it will only harm the club I have supported for over 50 years, and talking to a couple of other fans they said the same so hope there is still a good few of us.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am

Duplicate entry - sorry
Last edited by 50 years on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am

Triplicate entry - double sorry
Last edited by 50 years on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm

There were a few people near me at the match who were saying that the team Hartlepool played against us were second string or youth, and I had no idea to be honest, so checked line up on the video today. Also on the Poolie bunker I looked to see what a couple of there fans were wanting on the team sheet for this Saturdays game against Braintree:-

Played at Darlo:-
Catterick - Not mentioned
Amos - First team
Cunningham - First Team
Kioso - First team

Miller - Not mentioned
McLaughton - On the bench (although moved to York now)
Newton - Not mentioned
Muir - On the bench
Hawkes - First team
Kitching - On the bench
Hawkins - First team

So the team we played had a fair number of what the pool supporters would expect to see in their first team squad for Saturdays game, not exactly second string!! And they are full time and the league above, and a game we should have won - not too bad then to be honest. Although a win may have brought some of those "floating" supporters back for the next game which is the real disappointment for me (lost opportunity).

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:36 pm

50 Years - I'm afraid your assessment isn't quite as rosy as you make out. These are reactionary, thicko Poolies who are posting, rather than Hignett or Dickie Dosh.

Of those you've highlighted in bold, only Kioso has made more than 10 league starts this season.

It was a team including a handful of 1st teamers and fringe players, rather than regular starters. And we played a full strength side and still lost, despite them playing atrociously.

And that from a poor Hartlepool squad as well - it's not as if they're fighting for promotion. It's daft to make any sort of serious assessment on how we stack up against teams from the division above because A) the Pools team changed so much and B) evidently Pools weren't that fussed about the game.

Clearly this game meant more to us than Pools. You can see that in the fans who turned up and the strength of the sides. Yet despite Darlo being motivated, we lost against a much-weakened Pools side who weren't that fussed because it's a meaningless competition.

I wouldn't be getting too excited about it quite frankly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Gramps, I never said we could compete with the teams above, I was talking about Hartlepool, who are not doing that well. I also pointed out those names were in the team that the Hartlepool fans on the bunker were mentioning for there team this Saturday, not mine, that is all, as I also mentioned I have no idea of there team or capabilities as my focus is on supporting "my" team in anyway I can. You clearly have more knowledge of Hartlepool team so bow to your additional knowledge on the capabilities of their players. May be there fans are not sure either?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Hartlepool had one or two players who looked OK on the ball but overall I thought they looked like a ragbag of misfits thrown together for the game. God knows how the match wasn't put to bed earlier before they were astonishingly gift-wrapped a victory with comedy defending in the last few minutes. It was good that we pulled in the sort of BM crowd we need all the time but unfortunately the waverers among them probably won't remember the largely good play over 80 minutes. What is likely to stick with them is that we fecked it up against Hartlepool in clown fashion in the last few minutes.