Club Accounts

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

e4sby
Team Supported: Darlington

Club Accounts

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Something very interesting in the club accounts....

Bet there wasn’t many people if any knew that John Tempest has taken a directors fee of £10.5k for the financial year.... strange that he’s decided to take it this year when commercial revenue was down!

He even had the audacity to take the Volunteer of the year award....

What a club! You can’t make it up!

beatroute66

Re: Club Accounts

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Well well well.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Are the accounts available publicly yet?

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I received the email off Jonathan Jowett this evening. Guess it will be going out to all members tonight.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 pm

E4sby, before going off half cocked read what Mr tempest received the fee,s for, instead of jumping at any opportunity to stick an unjust comment to it. Muddy waters, can't think why you would assume.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:52 pm

onewayup wrote:E4sby, before going off half cocked read what Mr tempest received the fee,s for, instead of jumping at any opportunity to stick an unjust comment to it. Muddy waters, can't think why you would assume.
Accounts state "JT received £10.5K for a mix of commission for commercial deals delivered and payments services." I don't have any issue with that. I note DJ loaned the Club £10,000, that remains outstanding, though I believe the latter has been public knowledge for a while.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Just read my copy, as Tempest was the only one doing commercial it looks like it was commission likely with expenses. As he was the only one doing commercial and running the Club it’s seems quite a good deal for the club a full time person would be £50k ish. Let’s not put any new potential Directors off before they apply.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:58 pm

I wouldn’t say he was doing a good job commercially when income is down from 2017....

In my eyes it’s not muddy waters at all.... if it has been authorised then fair dos, I’m in the wrong, just feels very wrong to me when a) he’s not full time and a volunteer and b) the club is on its arse financially!

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 pm

And DJ coming out last week saying

‘What people may not recognise are the endless unpaid hours behind the scenes that he has put into the role’

Hmmmm....

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:04 pm

My assumption has always been that the role was an unpaid, volunteer one?

I'm a Company Director with a commercial and a business target. I'd absolutely refuse any bonus for personal performance if our company made no/lost money.

Perhaps a more thorough explanation of what that 10k got the club would help?

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 pm

beatroute66 wrote:My assumption has always been that the role was an unpaid, volunteer one?

I'm a Company Director with a commercial and a business target. I'd absolutely refuse any bonus for personal performance if our company made no/lost money.

Only one person unhappy so far it seems? We are more than half way through the current Trading year let's move on.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 pm

beatroute66 wrote:My assumption has always been that the role was an unpaid, volunteer one?

Only one person unhappy so far it seems? We are more than half way through the current Trading year let's move on.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 pm

e4sby wrote:And DJ coming out last week saying

‘What people may not recognise are the endless unpaid hours behind the scenes that he has put into the role’

Hmmmm....
If that is a reference to DJ himself he drew Diddly Squat as a Director from the Club in year ended 30 June 2018, and put in more many UNPAID hours each week.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm

bga wrote:

Hmmmm....
If that is a reference to DJ himself he drew Diddly Squat as a Director from the Club in year ended 30 June 2018, and put in more many UNPAID hours each week.
Not DJ himself, should’ve put the quote in context, what DJ said when it was announced Tempest was quitting

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Hmmmm....
Perhaps he has. Would you work full time for £10,500 a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Hmmmm....

Did JT work full time? I’m sure all roles barring Craig Morley’s are officially ‘volunteer’ roles?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Hmmmm....

Absolutely no issue with this payment to JT taking into account the hours he has put in over the years to the detriment of his business.And how many times as he sponsored a game.That payment is a drop in the ocean taking what he has given to the club with his time alone.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't volunteer as an unpaid Director of a cash-strapped fan owned club and take £10k out.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Trying to think what would be in there. The Virgin Trains deal ran from 2016-2018, so I'd guess that's part of it.

If it's for work he's done, then I'm not concerned, but I would agree certainly the club could have been clearer that he's not strictly speaking an unpaid volunteer.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Trying to think what would be in there. The Virgin Trains deal ran from 2016-2018, so I'd guess that's part of it.
I’d assumed it might have been this as well as that was mentioned separately in DJ’s message about him leaving re being so instrumental in getting that sponsorship deal.

I guess I am surprised but at the same time for the hours put in over the time he was in role it’s a pretty pathetic return. The only person who could really complain is someone who has dedicated more hours, had more responsibility and received less compensation - of which there is nobody.

“I wouldn’t say he was doing a good job because commercial revenue was down from 2017” that is the point though isn’t it bringing in commercial revenue wasn’t his job he did that as an additional extra to the unpaid role he was volunteering in.

Either you look at it that he received money for a particular service that he did and all his other hours were unpaid or you distribute and say that he “earnt” like a fraction of a £1 per hour during his time in role. I think the statement that he has done a lot of unpaid hours still massively holds up.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Ebac is a similar deal to Virgin which by memory was £50k over two years so even at 20% commission which the club was advertising recently for sales staff its a good deal. As an unpaid volunteer your not taking a monthly wage which as far as I can see he didn’t. I hate the way as soon as any management figure leaves the knives are out, be that Pinnegar, Jesper, Mills now Tempest, not the way to attract new directors.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:18 pm

The main thing about the accounts is what we owe is down compared to previous financial year with all the player sales I’d imagine this years is looking even better so Club is hopefully going in right direction.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 pm

I've no problem with us moving towards paying people. I'm sure the club advertised previously for a commercial manager paid on a commission basis, so again I've no real problem with JT taking that role if nobody else came forward (or indeed he was the best of a series of applicants). What is perhaps a problem is none of this being announced and only coming out in the accounts after the event, and the repeated claims of JT being an unpaid volunteer director when in reality he was a very poorly paid director. We need to be more open about this type of thing.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Show me a business where the 'majority shareholder' gets to find out that a fellow Director has taken £10k out of the business upon receiving the accounts?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm

beatroute66 wrote:Show me a business where the 'majority shareholder' gets to find out that a fellow Director has taken £10k out of the business upon receiving the accounts?
Are we saying this was a surprise to DFCSG?

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:45 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote: Are we saying this was a surprise to DFCSG?
It certainly was to me?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:47 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
beatroute66 wrote:Show me a business where the 'majority shareholder' gets to find out that a fellow Director has taken £10k out of the business upon receiving the accounts?
Are we saying this was a surprise to DFCSG?
I doubt it Chris Stockdale Chair of the DFCSG has been running the finances since last April apparently.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote: Are we saying this was a surprise to DFCSG?
It certainly was to me?
I am guessing you are not a board member then which in theory means you are not a representative of the main shareholder.

Basically the representatives of the shareholder body would have been aware, why these items are not shared would be for the DFC and DFCSG board to confirm.
I guess they are just happy for it to come out in the accounts, or maybe need to have rethink about how they announce this info and when.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 am

No, you're right - I'm just a Member and a fan, so in that respect finding out this way is probably as much as I can hope for/expect.

There could be a problem, though, if the DFCSG board found out in the same way (and I'm not saying they did).

And again, it could just be coincidence, but the timing of said Director's departure may or may not have significance.

Not knocking anything John has done for the club or all of the unpaid work he will have delivered, but (a) I thought that that was the deal and (b) as was pointed out on Twitter last night, plenty of others do hours and hours of unpaid work, put money in and haven't received or taken a single penny back out.

What should they think?

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am

beatroute66 wrote:What should they think?
I'm thinking I wish I'd asked for commission when I did the fundraising site :lol:

I guess the explanation here is that JT wasn't paid for his work as a director, but due to lack of suitable commercial manager applications, he also took that role on under the terms which were advertised at the time - so commission based, for which £10.5k was his pay.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website