Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12227
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm

We've played some strongish sides in previous rounds, so I'd expect us to have a fairly strong side out and certainly not a side full of reserves.

darlosince65
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by darlosince65 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
AndyPark wrote: But it is, there's a uptake in tickets and excitement to face our rivals once again.

Just because some people don't care for it as it's the 'county cup', this game has added interest and it'll be a good crowd in for it.
We're not facing our rivals. We're facing their youth team with our youth team (and a few first teamers). There's no rivalry to it.[/quot

DFC is DFC , Hartlepool is Hartlepool, Rivalry is Rivalry. Last home match in this cup against Stockton , DFC played 7/8 recognised first teamers - Maddison, Trotman, Burn, Galbraith, O'Hanlon, Thompson, Saunders & Nicholson from the get go.These are not youths, with Trotman, Saunders & Nicholson eventually being replaced in the second half by 3 acadamy players. This match i believe will be taken very seriously by both sides for very different reasons. For DFC as a potential cash cow and to also to gain bragging rights for our supporters over our long time major rival in the North East. Hartlepool need it not so much for the money but for the prestige and also to build much needed confidence to bolster their league campaign. For these reasons alone I believe this match will pan out to be very important for both sides. History is a might big attraction.

Sussex07
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Sussex07 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Home to Telford in the Trophy this week.It'll be interesting to see how get on with that one..They're not very happy chimps atm. :wave:

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

AndyPark wrote: You keep thinking that then. There's increased interest in the county game because we're facing our rivals's youth team with our own.
Fixed that for you.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 pm

darlosince65 wrote: For DFC as a potential cash cow and to also to gain bragging rights for our supporters over our long time major rival in the North East. Hartlepool need it not so much for the money but for the prestige and also to build much needed confidence to bolster their league campaign. For these reasons alone I believe this match will pan out to be very important for both sides. History is a might big attraction.
If anyone starts bragging about winning a youth team game in a tinpot cup competition, they'll look desperate. There are no bragging rights on offer here for beating Pools' youth team.

As for Hartlepool getting "much needed confidence" for their league campaign - you just look silly making that sort of comment.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

comeondarlo
Posts: 2614
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by comeondarlo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw

MB86DFC
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm

I’ll go along for the novelty factor of playing Hartlepool however I’m not overly fussed on it as a competitive game, but there will be fans on both sides that see it as a return of the rivalry. If it makes some money and goes off without any major incidents then I’ll be happy.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:17 pm

comeondarlo wrote:Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw
Not "wrong", just different opinions.

However I am right.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakersfan
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by quakersfan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:25 pm

MB86DFC wrote:I’ll go along for the novelty factor of playing Hartlepool however I’m not overly fussed on it as a competitive game, but there will be fans on both sides that see it as a return of the rivalry. If it makes some money and goes off without any major incidents then I’ll be happy.
My view too, will go along for novelty value. Pools not doing that well at present, it’s not quite payday for most and I believe last trains back to pools are 9.30pm so I don’t reckon they will bring that many.

banktopp
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw
Not "wrong", just different opinions.

However I am right.
Yes you are.

H1987
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm

I don't see the prestige, tbh. I'd go if i was based in the town anymore, but then i'd go to every home game if that was the case, so it's not saying much.

I just don't want idiots to damage what we're building right now.

bga
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by bga » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We've played some strongish sides in previous rounds, so I'd expect us to have a fairly strong side out and certainly not a side full of reserves.
Pete we aint got no proper "Reserves" just Yoof team players!

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11741
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw
Not "wrong", just different opinions.

However I am right.
How can you be right until we know the teams? If Wright and Monkey pick teams made up of mainly first teamers, suddenly there's bragging rights surely, irrespective of the competition the get is played in.

Like I said, I don't care about winning the competition but I'd like to win this game and I think both Manager's may see it as an opportunity to get some fans on side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BUSHEAD
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:38 pm

Harvey Saunders has scored against Hartlepool United FC before.

Ask him if it means anything ?
Always the victim, its never your fault

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Harvey Saunders has scored against Hartlepool United FC before.

Ask him if it means anything ?
What's that got to do with anything? He hasn't scored in a competitive first team fixture against Hartlepool United so the point you're making isn't relevant to what I'm saying.
Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw
Not "wrong", just different opinions.

However I am right.
How can you be right until we know the teams? If Wright and Monkey pick teams made up of mainly first teamers, suddenly there's bragging rights surely, irrespective of the competition the get is played in.
I would be amazed if Hartlepool field a team of predominantly first-teamers. It ain't going to happen.

We'll throw some in there, although if we field a much stronger team for the "prestige" of winning a County Cup game against a youth team side, TW's a bigger fool than I thought he was.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

BUSHEAD
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 pm

Gramps, it was first team.

It clearly means something to the players, the local lads will ensure the midlands crew know the script.
Always the victim, its never your fault

50 years
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by 50 years » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Tuesday night is a training night for darlo so would expect the majority of the first team to be considered to play to get game time in, and can't see pools fans being happy if their youth team come and get well beaten by there "former rivals" even in this county cup game. Given pools current form I suspect their manager will want to give first team players a run out and a good competative work out. I know some fans can't really get excited about this game but as for me I am looking forward to this.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5536
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

50 years wrote:Tuesday night is a training night for darlo so would expect the majority of the first team to be considered to play to get game time in, and can't see pools fans being happy if their youth team come and get well beaten by there "former rivals" even in this county cup game. Given pools current form I suspect their manager will want to give first team players a run out and a good competative work out. I know some fans can't really get excited about this game but as for me I am looking forward to this.
Pools manager won’t care and most Pools fans won’t really care either. They will send the reserves with a few first teamers who need a game/out of favour.

I can’t say I am really bothered and if I had to swap a defeat in the DCC for a league win then I would.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12948
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by divas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 pm

DD is already taking a lot of flak from the simians for treating league games as pre-season by chopping and changing players and formations to try and see what he’s got to play with so I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that he’ll use this game to do similar.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Gramps, it was first team.
Not for Darlington it wasn't! Therefore your point continues to be irrelevant.

Fact remains this is a glorified youth team game, so building it up as the latest instalment of a great rivalry is very silly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by 50 years » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 am

Super Les- I would swap 3 points for a defeat in this game too but I remember the atmosphere both at feethams and the Vic so for me just a trip down memory lane, plus I hope some money for the club, (that is if people can be bothered to turn up).
As for there fans and manager, my view is possibly wishful thinking therefore I bow to your extra knowledge on how they will react, but I am still looking forward to it. :thumbup:

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:Gramps, it was first team.
Not for Darlington it wasn't! Therefore your point continues to be irrelevant.

Fact remains this is a glorified youth team game, so building it up as the latest instalment of a great rivalry is very silly.
Gramps I think your record is stuck!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by 50 years » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am

Cramps- I agree that building it up as great rivalry may be a bit over the top, but commercially building it up to get people through the gate and earn money is a fantastic opportunity for a club short of funds. From various posts on this board I think people have forgot that valuable aspect, so down playing it may not meet what we all want for the club - sustainability in the long run and funds where ever we can make them. Also if we get through we could play South shields and they have a good following with ex Darlo players that some fans may like to see again (if they play them of course).
People can make there own minds up but me I just want to support my club in any way I can (plus a win over even pools second string will send me home happy as will a defeat if it's a large crowd :D .

tezza
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by tezza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am

Darlogramps wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:Andy’s right, Gramps is wrong.......love it!

Ive got my ticket btw
Not "wrong", just different opinions.

However I am right.
As much as it pains ......... he is.

poppyfield
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:19 am

50 years wrote:Cramps- I agree that building it up as great rivalry may be a bit over the top, but commercially building it up to get people through the gate and earn money is a fantastic opportunity for a club short of funds. From various posts on this board I think people have forgot that valuable aspect, so down playing it may not meet what we all want for the club - sustainability in the long run and funds where ever we can make them. Also if we get through we could play South shields and they have a good following with ex Darlo players that some fans may like to see again (if they play them of course).
People can make there own minds up but me I just want to support my club in any way I can (plus a win over even pools second string will send me home happy as will a defeat if it's a large crowd :D .
Yep you've hit the nail on the head with this post :clap: I am going, I really enjoyed the Stockton game, it gave the team a bit more self belief after a dismal period of games we then went on a good run (excluding York away), so get yourselves there and support the club.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:Gramps, it was first team.
Not for Darlington it wasn't! Therefore your point continues to be irrelevant.

Fact remains this is a glorified youth team game, so building it up as the latest instalment of a great rivalry is very silly.
Gramps I think your record is stuck!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By the same logic, so is everyone else who is replying to me (of which there has been a lot). And as such, I can reply.

Can we continue having what's been a fairly civil, on topic discussion without making the thread about one individual.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

BUSHEAD
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 am

Darlogramps wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:Gramps, it was first team.
Not for Darlington it wasn't! Therefore your point continues to be irrelevant.

Fact remains this is a glorified youth team game, so building it up as the latest instalment of a great rivalry is very silly.
My point has has just as much relevance as yours thank you very much.

The world doesn't revolve around you and your opinion.

I'm a fan, and I care about this game and I sure as hell care about beating Hartlepool, in anything and everything.
Always the victim, its never your fault

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1684
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 am

Despite this being a minor trophy Hartlepool are our traditional rivals so if people still feel that rivalry then they're entitled to their opinion aren't they?We've seen recently the Port Vale v Stoke City game in the checkatrade had a huge away attendance. I remember years ago going to Old Trafford for a youth cup game and Liverpool took thousands there. Of course we don't want or need any problems but it will hopefully bring in some money.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4793
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:03 am

BUSHEAD wrote: My point has has just as much relevance as yours thank you very much.

The world doesn't revolve around you and your opinion.
Oh come on, be more intelligent than that. Anyone with half a brain cell could see that I wasn't saying your opinion was irrelevant. I was saying the point you brought up about Harvey Saunders had no relevance to the point I was making.

Saying "Harvey Saunders once scored against Hartlepool" isn't relevant to the discussion about the significance of this game because it doesn't change the fact this is a glorified youth team game in a meaningless cup competition.

By all means disagree with my opinion, but at least take the time to understand my arguments before replying.
don'tbuythesun wrote:Despite this being a minor trophy Hartlepool are our traditional rivals so if people still feel that rivalry then they're entitled to their opinion aren't they?
Where has anyone said no one is entitled to their opinion? I happen to disagree with the view this is an important game, and I'll tell people why I disagree, as I'm entitled to do as well. By the same token, everyone who doesn't think this is a significant game (of which there are quite a few) are entitled to their view. And the whole point of this messageboard is we all discuss our contrasting opinions.

But nowhere in this thread has anyone said "You can't have that opinion".
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1684
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hartlepool match confirmed at BM

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:16 am

Perhaps I should have said "entitled to be very silly" rather than have an opinion. Contrary to your belief you're not always right.

Post Reply