Sports Village (latest)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sports Village (latest)

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:Regarding the priority of pitch situation, as far as I am aware, primacy of tenure only applies if you wish to apply for promotion to the premiership.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/p ... of-tenure/
That's from a rugby side though.
Yes, but doesn't that mean that outside the premiership the football club can have primacy of tenure without it causing any issues for the rugby club?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:Regarding the priority of pitch situation, as far as I am aware, primacy of tenure only applies if you wish to apply for promotion to the premiership.

Yes, but doesn't that mean that outside the premiership the football club can have primacy of tenure without it causing any issues for the rugby club?
What happens if Mowden somehow made it to the premiership, it may only be a faint hope but it's probably about as achievable as us getting back to the Football League.

Which club would forfeit promotion? I guess this would need deciding in advance as if not then it would be as bad not realising we need 500 seats to play in the playoffs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

It doesn't cause any issues strictly from a compliance perspective.

It does mean that on their home ground which they don't need us at they have to shift their home fixtures onto different days or shift the venues.

It also means they would be giving up any hope of promotion - which apparently for us would be terminal and the death of the club.

You can see why a full time (I think) rugby team wouldn't want to play second fiddle to a part time football team with a smaller fan base and playing about 4 tiers lower in the respective pyramid.

Also aren't Mowden Rugby Park ladies in the top tier of the womens rugby?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote: Also, BM is a joke. One of the worst venues for watching football I've ever been too.
The Arena is a joke. One of the worst venues for watching football I've ever been too. An absolutely wretched venue.

Thousands of empty, faded pink seats. No atmosphere. Opposition fans laughing at us for playing in a stupidly sized stadium. And the obvious primacy of tenure issue anyway.

We would lose a big chunk of our support (myself included) because of the sheer humiliation of going back to the Arena. That's not a comment to show I dislike the Arena. Genuinely I wouldn't go back.

Trust me, our image would be utterly shattered if we went back there. In 2012 we said it was too damaging for us to carry on playing there, to the extent we moved 12 miles out of town. Whenever I speak to another club's supporter, and tell them I support Darlington, the first thing they bring up is "What happened to that stupid stadium?"

Now we'd be saying this stupid stadium is fine for us after all - but can people keep chucking in a few quid for us anyway. Going back to the Arena would finish the club off for good. Sponsors would turn away from us, fans would turn away from us ( despite his claims, MB86DFC has offered nothing to support his claims we would increase our support - our average attendances dropped by half in less than a decade from leaving Feethams and finishing at the Arena). As CarloDarlo rightly states above, our attendances now aren't much lower than they were in our last few years at the Arena.
In my opinion Blackwell Meadows is a very poor football venue. The Arena is not the ideal solution to this problem, but it is the most realistic one. I would much prefer a rich benefactor to build us something similar to Nene Park or The New Meadow, but it isn't going to happen. Even with millions spending on Blackwell it is always going to be a two or three sided rugby ground which we don't feel welcome to.

Opposing fans laughing at us for playing in an empty venue, so what? They laugh at us anyway for being a failed league club stuck in this awful division. Primacy of tenure could be solved if both parties were motivated to do so, plenty of rugby and football teams have got passed this.

I honestly don't think we would lose the support. As mentioned I know people who would come back, but it is all hypothetical and can only be fully realised if it was to be tried. We certainly will lose fans if we stick to BM at the arse end of this division, or God forbid the next one down. Attendances are already dropping hideously this season and will soon be down to under 1000 if we don't change. That will kill the club. There will be no appetite to boost the budget if we cannot challenge for the top, and if we are financing BM renovations we can't afford to spend on the squad.

Sponsors would not turn away, they sponsor for the commercial benefit of their business. If there are crowds equal to what we have now they will still sponsor. We will still be the same fan owned club, a lot is different now than it was under Reynolds / Singh / Houghton so comparing the two businesses is misguided.

You're correct that I can't offer anything concrete to prove we would increase support, but you cannot offer proof to the contrary. Of course 10 year average crowds would be down after leaving Feethams as it was a much loved, well located ground with 2 Wembley appearances in the last 7 years of tenancy to boost attendances. Going to the Arena with all of the fan scepticism, merry-go round of rotten owners, administrations and relegation's would naturally push attendances down. This is a completely different scenario so your Feethams to Arena attendance statistic is not relevant.

Even if attendances at the Arena stay roughly the same as they would at BM it is a better position to be in as we don't have to spend millions on upgrades.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Yeah, we'd only have to spend millions on keeping the place running, while the club dies.

I'm not watching football in an empty, cavernous, faded pink plastic bowl.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote: Also, BM is a joke. One of the worst venues for watching football I've ever been too.
The Arena is a joke. One of the worst venues for watching football I've ever been too. An absolutely wretched venue.

Thousands of empty, faded pink seats. No atmosphere. Opposition fans laughing at us for playing in a stupidly sized stadium. And the obvious primacy of tenure issue anyway.

We would lose a big chunk of our support (myself included) because of the sheer humiliation of going back to the Arena. That's not a comment to show I dislike the Arena. Genuinely I wouldn't go back.

Trust me, our image would be utterly shattered if we went back there. In 2012 we said it was too damaging for us to carry on playing there, to the extent we moved 12 miles out of town. Whenever I speak to another club's supporter, and tell them I support Darlington, the first thing they bring up is "What happened to that stupid stadium?"

Now we'd be saying this stupid stadium is fine for us after all - but can people keep chucking in a few quid for us anyway. Going back to the Arena would finish the club off for good. Sponsors would turn away from us, fans would turn away from us ( despite his claims, MB86DFC has offered nothing to support his claims we would increase our support - our average attendances dropped by half in less than a decade from leaving Feethams and finishing at the Arena). As CarloDarlo rightly states above, our attendances now aren't much lower than they were in our last few years at the Arena.
In my opinion Blackwell Meadows is a very poor football venue. The Arena is not the ideal solution to this problem, but it is the most realistic one. I would much prefer a rich benefactor to build us something similar to Nene Park or The New Meadow, but it isn't going to happen. Even with millions spending on Blackwell it is always going to be a two or three sided rugby ground which we don't feel welcome to.

Opposing fans laughing at us for playing in an empty venue, so what? They laugh at us anyway for being a failed league club stuck in this awful division. Primacy of tenure could be solved if both parties were motivated to do so, plenty of rugby and football teams have got passed this.

I honestly don't think we would lose the support. As mentioned I know people who would come back, but it is all hypothetical and can only be fully realised if it was to be tried. We certainly will lose fans if we stick to BM at the arse end of this division, or God forbid the next one down. Attendances are already dropping hideously this season and will soon be down to under 1000 if we don't change. That will kill the club. There will be no appetite to boost the budget if we cannot challenge for the top, and if we are financing BM renovations we can't afford to spend on the squad.

Sponsors would not turn away, they sponsor for the commercial benefit of their business. If there are crowds equal to what we have now they will still sponsor. We will still be the same fan owned club, a lot is different now than it was under Reynolds / Singh / Houghton so comparing the two businesses is misguided.

You're correct that I can't offer anything concrete to prove we would increase support, but you cannot offer proof to the contrary. Of course 10 year average crowds would be down after leaving Feethams as it was a much loved, well located ground with 2 Wembley appearances in the last 7 years of tenancy to boost attendances. Going to the Arena with all of the fan scepticism, merry-go round of rotten owners, administrations and relegation's would naturally push attendances down. This is a completely different scenario so your Feethams to Arena attendance statistic is not relevant.

Even if attendances at the Arena stay roughly the same as they would at BM it is a better position to be in as we don't have to spend millions on upgrades.
Everything you have wrote is just an opinion, with no facts on the options.

We really shouldn't be making any decisions unless we have the facts laid out.

You are ignoring the points from our CEO
David Johnston wrote:We would return to playing at the Arena on plastic which currently would prevent us from returning to the Football League. This may seem a long way away at the moment but to vote to return there with the knowledge that if we were successful on the field we would be prohibited from playing in the Football League and again look for a new home is not one that should be considered lightly.

There is also the question of Primacy of Tenure. This means that as part of National League rules, our home fixtures have to take priority over the other teams playing there. We currently have this contractual arrangement at Blackwell Meadows but currently no solution exists at the SV.
We need solutions to the above before we could consider move really.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 pm

H1987 wrote:Yeah, we'd only have to spend millions on keeping the place running, while the club dies.

I'm not watching football in an empty, cavernous, faded pink plastic bowl.

No we wouldn't, Mowden would. We would pay an agreed rent, just like we do now. The only risk is if Mowden go bust, then we could be properly fucked.

I'd rather watch a winning team in an empty pink bowl than a losing one on a half developed rugby pitch.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:05 pm

MB86DFC wrote: We certainly will lose fans if we stick to BM at the arse end of this division, or God forbid the next one down.
Perhaps with an improvement in management, we won't be at the arse end of this division? We're told our budget this season is top-half, but it's been poorly spent, or well spent on poorly managed players.

I really don't see why we have to accept we're going to be somewhere between National North and Evostick Prem as a club in the long term.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
MB86DFC wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Everything you have wrote is just an opinion, with no facts on the options.

We really shouldn't be making any decisions unless we have the facts laid out.

You are ignoring the points from our CEO
David Johnston wrote:We would return to playing at the Arena on plastic which currently would prevent us from returning to the Football League. This may seem a long way away at the moment but to vote to return there with the knowledge that if we were successful on the field we would be prohibited from playing in the Football League and again look for a new home is not one that should be considered lightly.

There is also the question of Primacy of Tenure. This means that as part of National League rules, our home fixtures have to take priority over the other teams playing there. We currently have this contractual arrangement at Blackwell Meadows but currently no solution exists at the SV.
We need solutions to the above before we could consider move really.
Most of it is opinion, but so is 99% of what is written on this message board, however I do know MP are keen on having us as a tenant so as part of the negotiation the primacy of tenure and pitch issues could be ironed out.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Of course they want us on board and have done for a couple of years now really, around about when they realised all the cash they had was disappearing fast.

I am not against any option but I prefer real logic with facts, costs, pros, cons etc. before I go one way or the other. I actually don't like the arena but if it was the best way forward then maybe it's the way to go. However I wouldn't make the decision on any panic because Wright wasted his budget in the summer and can't bring the crowds in currently, even the Arena won't make Tommy any better at managing.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I don't think there is any way Tommy will improve, but imagine if we had someone competent and we could challenge, and then had to miss out due to the ground again. That would be a disaster.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:24 pm

MB86DFC wrote:I don't think there is any way Tommy will improve, but imagine if we had someone competent and we could challenge, and then had to miss out due to the ground again. That would be a disaster.
We wouldn't miss out form the current division but all options mean we would currently miss out on FL promotion, so it's a stalemate on the current front. It's just about which is the best option moving forward, of which we need the key facts.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm

We aren't going to miss out on the ground. It's in condition *now* for the playoffs, and to enter the division above.

It'd need considerable work to get it up to football league standard, but we're a long way away from that anyway *and* if we go and play on a 4G pitch - *that* is a barrier to our promotion also.

I'd sooner watch us play at Blackwell than the ridiculous white elephant any day of the week. It needs work, but the club has listened so far regarding elevation of seats and dugouts. There's literally nothing to be done to the Arena, beyond knocking it down (and he's hoping).

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:48 pm

H1987 wrote:We aren't going to miss out on the ground. It's in condition *now* for the playoffs, and to enter the division above.

It'd need considerable work to get it up to football league standard, but we're a long way away from that anyway *and* if we go and play on a 4G pitch - *that* is a barrier to our promotion also.

I'd sooner watch us play at Blackwell than the ridiculous white elephant any day of the week. It needs work, but the club has listened so far regarding elevation of seats and dugouts. There's literally nothing to be done to the Arena, beyond knocking it down (and he's hoping).
To get BM up to FL standard would require knocking down what is already there and building again. This is not a viable solution. The stands that have been built are incompatible with the required capacity of a FL venue. There is no scope for development of corporate and hospitality areas (the real money earners for clubs). You can't get more than 2,000 in before people are unable to see the pitch properly! Therefore you'll never get gates that enable the club to grow in that ground, people don't pay money to stand 4 rows deep at pitch side looking at the back of someone's head. Just imagine actually being able to make money from a 8000+ gate in the cup, what would happen at BM if we drew Hartlepool in the FA cup? Some people dislike the Arena, but if it provides an opportunity to escape from this mistake then we should take it, there is no feasible alternative.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Yarblockos - that is a good post re The Arena, but I simply can’t imagine watching Darlo playing in it, with small crowds, in the lower leagues. It was bad enough before, and I have been back since to watch Rugby and it’s a sad old place with a sprinkling of people dotted around.

Is there an option to build a new ground on the pitch behind our present location? Or have I just imagined this.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 pm

divas wrote:MP had to borrow £800K from Raj Singh mortgaged against the Arena a couple of years back, this has now been repaid by a larger private investment loan guaranteed by Darlington Borough Council at some point last year. That isn’t the action of a company flush with liquid assets.
I think that's a more realistic assessment of the position Mowden Park are in. I'm not surprised they are desperate to get the council involved and look at any opportunities to make money. That massive stadium with huge overheads is still a big drain on resources, hence drastic actions like the above. I don't think the stadium has seen a lick of paint since it was opened as you can see by all the rust on view and God knows how much that is going to cost when it finally has to be done.

The club itself is seventh from bottom of National League 1, they have averaged 878 fans at seven matches this season and that includes the many cheap/free tickets on offer. We took more fans than that for an away game at York despite us struggling so badly this season. They have only once this season had a crowd over 1,000 and they face big overheads on their travels as the league they are in includes trips to places like Plymouth, Surrey and Hertfordshire.

From what I hear everything is not sweetness and light, and things are tight. But maybe the council will end up being the White Knight they so need.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Yarblockos - that is a good post re The Arena, but I simply can’t imagine watching Darlo playing in it, with small crowds, in the lower leagues. It was bad enough before, and I have been back since to watch Rugby and it’s a sad old place with a sprinkling of people dotted around.

Is there an option to build a new ground on the pitch behind our present location? Or have I just imagined this.
Yes. To the cost of 5 million pounds.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:33 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Of course they want us on board and have done for a couple of years now really, around about when they realised all the cash they had was disappearing fast.

I am not against any option but I prefer real logic with facts, costs, pros, cons etc. before I go one way or the other. I actually don't like the arena but if it was the best way forward then maybe it's the way to go. However I wouldn't make the decision on any panic because Wright wasted his budget in the summer and can't bring the crowds in currently, even the Arena won't make Tommy any better at managing.
Les is the small voice of sanity here and right in what he says. MP have burned through the pile of cash they got for selling Yiewsley Drive ground by miscalculating the running costs of the Arena, hence they are sensibly looking for diversification by getting anyone to give them an extra stream of income (i.e. Darlington FC). We would have to negotiate some contract, hopefully having gained experience from our current tenancy agreement at BM with DRFC.

We are tied into BM for some time, plus would have to repay ground improvement grants so no rush. DJ & our Board are doing the right thing in having negotiations about the village & putting our requirements into the mix. Knowing DBC, it will take them an age to come up with any concrete proposals, then like York, any physical development will probably slip by at least a year. This leaves time for the FA to change their mind and for science to advance a 5G pitch ;)

In the unlikely event of us ever getting to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, then pulling out the hat a massive home draw, with potential 8000 crowd, could the match not be played at the Arena as a one-off? Don't need to respond to that as bookies would have us at millions to 1 although in which case a random £5 bet now would sort everything out for us without me doing the Euromillions.....

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:I thought someone suggested another alternative which was that if we added inspection / access chambers at either end of the pipe, effectively tunnel around it we could build over it?
I posted this the other week, apparently its an option Northumbrian Water would be happy with. All they are bothered about is access if they need it.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I thought someone suggested another alternative which was that if we added inspection / access chambers at either end of the pipe, effectively tunnel around it we could build over it?
I posted this the other week, apparently its an option Northumbrian Water would be happy with. All they are bothered about is access if they need it.
Yes, a lot cheaper and given Northumbrian Water are profiteering massively from everyone in the North East, they can afford it. Perhaps they would like to become match sponsors? :D

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:51 pm

For me the major problem moving to the white elephant is the fact that the club will only be changing landlords, at what cost I don't know but is it really viable to move from one rugby club to another. I have reservations about such a move as the fans have contributed to build the football club up at DRFC, an awful lot of people putting their hands into their pockets which would be lost should the club make the move without the full cooperation of all investors large and small. We must never forget that darlington football club is all about the fans. I think with respect we allow Mr Johnson /Mr tempest /the DFCSG board member to do due diligence and report as to what is on offer from MPRC. only with the full facts can the football club make a reasoned sensible decision. Right for Darlington football club.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Of course MP want us at the Arena, they are losing money hand over fist,

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

onewayup wrote:For me the major problem moving to the white elephant is the fact that the club will only be changing landlords, at what cost I don't know but is it really viable to move from one rugby club to another. I have reservations about such a move as the fans have contributed to build the football club up at DRFC, an awful lot of people putting their hands into their pockets which would be lost should the club make the move without the full cooperation of all investors large and small. We must never forget that darlington football club is all about the fans. I think with respect we allow Mr Johnson /Mr tempest /the DFCSG board member to do due diligence and report as to what is on offer from MPRC. only with the full facts can the football club make a reasoned sensible decision. Right for Darlington football club.
Spot on!

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Of course they want us on board and have done for a couple of years now really, around about when they realised all the cash they had was disappearing fast.

I apologise if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick about this and other opinions on here, but a thought that does occur to me from the above is what happens to DRFC if we leave? Are we obligated to pay the full rent to the end of the tenancy or is there a termination clause that would allow us to get out more cheaply? If the latter, and if we were to seriously consider moving to the arena, then surely this would have a detrimental effect on the sustainability of DRFC. Usually if you have something valuable to market, and you have two equally needy buyers, then it seems to potentially put DFC in a strong position to get a better deal out of the two competing suitors. Perhaps a bit of leverage to get DRFC to treat us as more equal partners?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

I should have said MPRC AND DARLINGTON COUNCIL, which have a sporting village hub agenda.en passant there is no leverage as our present landlords are thwarting most of what we are trying to do. They are our landlords and don't want us to forget it. Shame really as if they were more accommodating I think things could work out to the benifit of both clubs, I can only hope that they see what they could be losing should the decision be made to move. Its really their call. Help heal a rift, hinder and maybe we shift.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 pm

onewayup wrote:I should have said MPRC AND DARLINGTON COUNCIL, which have a sporting village hub agenda.en passant there is no leverage as our present landlords are thwarting most of what we are trying to do. They are our landlords and don't want us to forget it. Shame really as if they were more accommodating I think things could work out to the benifit of both clubs, I can only hope that they see what they could be losing should the decision be made to move. Its really their call. Help heal a rift, hinder and maybe we shift.
:clap:

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 pm

I can’t see how DRFC can benefit from this.

It was mooted earlier that the proceeds of the sale of their land would be used as part of the project, but they have no desire to merge or share with Mowden Park.

I’m looking forward to seeing the actual options announced as, other than Mowden, I can’t see any winners.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 pm

jjljks wrote:In the unlikely event of us ever getting to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, then pulling out the hat a massive home draw, with potential 8000 crowd, could the match not be played at the Arena as a one-off? Don't need to respond to that as bookies would have us at millions to 1 although in which case a random £5 bet now would sort everything out for us without me doing the Euromillions.....
No, the FA put an end to clubs switching venues a few years ago. You have to play home games at your own ground. But if you want us to play big FA Cup ties at the Arena then you should support a move to the Arena!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm

onewayup wrote:I should have said MPRC AND DARLINGTON COUNCIL, which have a sporting village hub agenda.en passant there is no leverage as our present landlords are thwarting most of what we are trying to do. They are our landlords and don't want us to forget it. Shame really as if they were more accommodating I think things could work out to the benifit of both clubs, I can only hope that they see what they could be losing should the decision be made to move. Its really their call. Help heal a rift, hinder and maybe we shift.
Given at the Netcafe it was said that DFC had repeatedly failed to pay DRFC on time, is it any wonder that DRFC are not the most hospitable.

I am sure relations would be better if DFC were seen to pay the contracted payments on time. Especially with the history of financial problems DFC have had for the last 40 years or so. This can't help the DRFC to see DFC as being good for the monies due

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Beano wrote:I can’t see how DRFC can benefit from this.

It was mooted earlier that the proceeds of the sale of their land would be used as part of the project, but they have no desire to merge or share with Mowden Park.

I’m looking forward to seeing the actual options announced as, other than Mowden, I can’t see any winners.

Isn't some of land at BM owned by Council and leased to DRFC. That is possibly the land the council would like to sell