Tommy's interview - seething

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy's interview - seething

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:53 pm

The C.E.O mentioned above in no 4 needs to kick everyone up the arse.

T.W. - A.W. - the players - even Mr Q, the whole bloody lot of them.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

boorman

Post by boorman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 pm

I can't believe all of this hysteria about players missing training sessions. We're a part-time club... what do you expect?

If we were a professional club in League Two and players were skipping training then it's perfectly fair to say that the manager has lost control, but in this instance I think it's over the top. And I don't buy the fact this would never have happened under Gray. Are you telling me that someone like Lee Gaskell, based in Manchester, would have been expected to attend every single mid-week training session? I doubt it somehow.

I totally get why people want a change of manager, but I don't think this is the right reason.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

boorman wrote:I can't believe all of this hysteria about players missing training sessions. We're a part-time club... what do you expect?

If we were a professional club in League Two and players were skipping training then it's perfectly fair to say that the manager has lost control, but in this instance I think it's over the top. And I don't buy the fact this would never have happened under Gray. Are you telling me that someone like Lee Gaskell, based in Manchester, would have been expected to attend every single mid-week training session? I doubt it somehow.

I totally get why people want a change of manager, but I don't think this is the right reason.
You must be his mother?

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:21 pm

jezzz i thought i talked shyte like the resident darlo_pog .. aka ...im at work that day ,dullo pete...

A man was hunting when a gust of wind blew, the gun fell over an discharged, shooting him in the genitals...
Several hours later, lying in a hospital bed, he was approached by his doctor...
"Well, sir, I have some good news an some bad news...
The good news is that you are going to be OK...
The damage was local to your groin, there was very little internal damage, an we were able to remove all of the buckshot"...
"What's the bad news"...? Asked the hunter... "The bad news is that there was some pretty extensive buckshot damage done to your willy which left quite a few holes in it. I'm going to have to refer you to my sister"...
"Well, I guess that isn't too bad," the hunter replied...
"Is your sister a plastic surgeon"...?
"Not exactly answered the doctor.......
"She's a flute player in the Symphony Orchestra. She's going to teach you where to put your fingers so you don't pee in your eye"...
Last edited by Seventynine on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 pm

boorman wrote:I can't believe all of this hysteria about players missing training sessions. We're a part-time club... what do you expect?

It’s not the odd one session or individual though is it? It’s a chunk of the squad who are performing poorly . It’s a good enough reason for me .

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

The part time clubs in this league are supposed to be the creme de la creme of part time football. The players are well paid for what they do and should attend training - it’s part of their job, twice a week.

Our players are already at a disadvantage compared to the teams that are full time and should be prepared and able to organise themselves to attend training.

In fact they should want to attend, and T.W. has been daft to let this happen, and daft to admit that it has happened, mind you it was rumoured on here a few days back.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Tell you what, I played semi pro... I played for Neath AFC in the Welsh league...mainly in the youth system but got a few games off the bench for the first team.. if you wanna know who they are, google them... promoted to the Welsh national league from div 1 south shortly after I left, signed players like Lee Trundle and Andy Robinson... got into the Champions league qualifiers one season and as a result of throwing the kitchen sink at it, promptly went bust.

I was a half decent prospect but I found booze and women... missed a few training sessions, ended up out of match day squads for the youth team and was let go... just because I missed training... I was 17 years old tho, with no contract, pay as you play in the seniors whenever I got called up. The academy coach pied me off for missing training... yet this lot are playing senior football, on contracts, very well paid contracts and are getting away with it...

Yes they're part time, but they train part time, you still actually have to turn up to the part time training sessions, it's twice a week, not every day, but you are paid well so you turn up...!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Memo to D.J.

If you want to save money, dock the wages of players who don’t turn up to training.

Just like in any other job...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 pm

How can you run a football club if the players call the shots,discipline is needed in any business.A good manager has to be respected,and there has to be a line between players and management.How can you respect someone who is now admitting such things.We will be a laughing stock now.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:35 pm

i was the same ..under 16 ..played for , now if i say county durham some folk wiil remember George Courtney who sent me off at chilton that day .the basted ref . i did take the lads legs awy but he was about to score ..he was a twat in them days was george.. great ref tho

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 pm

TW's position as manager is now untenable and should be removed from the position as manager of this football club. This latest revelation just adds weight to the facts he is just not cut out for football management. To allow your players to openly miss training sessions just undermines everything you try to instill into a team and discipline within that group. It's no wonder we have been disjointed, tactically lost and players not interested!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:15 pm

It’s quite unnerving the amount of tweets that slag TW off that are being liked by our former recent players, only a minority have left on good terms.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 am

Completely unacceptable. People going on about it being ‘part time’ as though it’s an excuse for not turning in; I suggest you get yourself a part time job and see how they feel about it when you don’t bother going on.

They’re paid footballers, not amateurs. Of course the occasional incident or reason might come up which prevents them making it, and that’s normal assuming it’s agreed with the manager.... but this suggests to me he has no control. It’s also made worse by the fact that it’s very clear some of the players are unfit.

Sorry Tommy, but please, for the good of the club, you need to go now. It’s not been an easy job, and thank you for your efforts, but this isn’t acceptable.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 am

Wonder if it is time for Tommy and Alan to put there boots back on, they have played at a decent level and given the small squad, may provide the leadership on the pitch we are desperate for rather than totally rely on the young academy lads. Also it would mean no additional costs :D

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 am

TW himself said: "We don't work together enough as a group". He's essentially admitting that the disorganised shambles he has allowed the club to become is now damaging us as a playing unit. The board have only one course of action now. We have to part company with this management team and bring some stability and harmony to this fractured club before any more damage is done.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 am

For me it depends what the reasons are. Thompson for example works back shift every other week so can’t make training. Trotman works in Oxford apparently!
If it’s a case of can’t be arsed to train then that’s another issue. However if their secular work gets in the way what can Wright do? Even Gray had these problems but we didn’t get it used as an excuse often.
Maybe Wright is getting fed up that they can’t work on stuff properly because there are always some players missing for what ever reasons. And if the majority of excuses are down to secular work there’s not a lot he can do about it. Also we as fans can’t criticise players for having to work either.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 am

But if trotman works in Oxford, we must have known that at the point we signed him. A lot of people had misgivings about the distances players were travelling, and their being unable to make training vindicates that. Beyond which, Wright said they were excuses, not reasons.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 am

loan_star wrote:For me it depends what the reasons are. Thompson for example works back shift every other week so can’t make training. Trotman works in Oxford apparently!
If it’s a case of can’t be arsed to train then that’s another issue. However if their secular work gets in the way what can Wright do? Even Gray had these problems but we didn’t get it used as an excuse often.
Maybe Wright is getting fed up that they can’t work on stuff properly because there are always some players missing for what ever reasons. And if the majority of excuses are down to secular work there’s not a lot he can do about it. Also we as fans can’t criticise players for having to work either.
But he said they have used every excuse going in his interview. Sounds like it’s not work is the only one to me.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 am

He said players are using "every excuse in the book to not attend training". Clearly it means it's not the odd player having to work or some emergency or the like. It's any old excuse being offered up to not attend and it's affecting the team. It's completely unacceptable and TW is pretty much admitting this even though it's his job to get on top of this. When you tie this in with everything else surrounding this failing, inept management, action has to be taken.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 am

LoidLucan wrote:TW himself said: "We don't work together enough as a group". He's essentially admitting that the disorganised shambles he has allowed the club to become is now damaging us as a playing unit. The board have only one course of action now. We have to part company with this management team and bring some stability and harmony to this fractured club before any more damage is done.
This.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 am

Listening again - Wright sounds like a bloke who knows that time is nearly up. He's lost for ideas, the summer recruitment has clearly failed, there's seemingly no real scope (partly because of Wrights failings it must be added) to bring anyone experienced in. Whatever he's doing with the players that bother to turn up to training clearly isn't working. He's assembled a squad of half fit players, some of whom apparently have no sense of (semi)professional pride, who are capable of passing the ball side to side but evidently not much else.

On a human level I feel sorry for the bloke - I loved him as a player and its clear he wants to do well, but I see no way back for him from this. Barring some 'wunderkind' turning up on loan this week and prompting a dramatic turn around in fortunes, I reckon Wright will be gone, quite possibly of his own volition, either next Saturday (if we fail to win), or, if we do manage to put the mighty Nuneaton to the sword, by Xmas after we inevitably get thumped by Chorley and Altrincham the following couple of weeks.
Last edited by al_quaker on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 am

Thing is, we’re competing against some teams that are training full time, so the limited time the team are together has to be tight as a drum to minimise the disadvantage we already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 am

m62exile wrote:Thing is, we’re competing against some teams that are training full time, so the limited time the team are together has to be tight as a drum to minimise the disadvantage we already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We went to the York/FC UTD match yesterday. York looked poor (apparently there’s been a bug hanging around) however they did looked well drilled and well organised and you could tell that there was a style of play, a plan. Unlike what has been seen at Blackwell Meadows lately. Bartlett kept York in it, they rode their luck, stuck together and got the three points.

What surprises me about this is that the players involved don’t want to train! Do they not enjoy being footballers? Are they happy that they’re not giving it their all? Or is the fact that because we are low on numbers and they are guaranteed a start making them lazy?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:03 am

loan_star wrote:For me it depends what the reasons are. Thompson for example works back shift every other week so can’t make training. Trotman works in Oxford apparently!
Robbo, in Tommy's own words, it's "excuses for not attending training" which "I'm going to put a stop to". This doesn't suggest non-negotiable commitments. It's miles away from 'We have players who can't attend training due to work and it's frustrating and that's affecting performances but that's the nature of part-time football'.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:[

What surprises me about this is that the players involved don’t want to train! Do they not enjoy being footballers? Are they happy that they’re not giving it their all? Or is the fact that because we are low on numbers and they are guaranteed a start making them lazy?
I’d imagine it’s the prospect of having to make a 6 hour round trip to do so. It’s probably a bit easier to make that drive when you’re winning but the appetite soon goes when you’re struggling. It’s completely unsustainable. You have to recruit everyone from that area and train locally in the Midlands for it to work.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 am

al_quaker wrote:Listening again - Wright sounds like a bloke who knows that time is nearly up. He's lost for ideas, the summer recruitment has clearly failed, there's seemingly no real scope (partly because of Wrights failings it must be added) to bring anyone experienced in. Whatever he's doing with the players that bother to turn up to training clearly isn't working. He's assembled a squad of half fit players, some of whom apparently have no sense of (semi)professional pride, who are capable of passing the ball side to side but evidently not much else.

On a human level I feel sorry for the bloke - I loved him as a player and its clear he wants to do well, but I see no way back for him from this. Barring some 'wunderkind' turning up on loan this week and prompting a dramatic turn around in fortunes, I reckon Wright will be gone, quite possibly of his own volition, either next Saturday (if we fail to win), or, if we do manage to put the mighty Nuneaton to the sword, by Xmas after we inevitably get thumped by Chorley and Altrincham the following couple of weeks.
I do also feel sorry for him but at the end of the day his naivety means he can't cut it as a successful football manager. At the Telford game the consensus was he'd be a bloody fantastic neighbour or buddy but you wouldn't want him to manage your football team.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 am

Tommy really struggled through that interview and seemed a broken man who simply skirted round lots of excuses for our failings without admitting we needed fresh blood.That's the first time he has been really down and has now run out of ideas and simply could not add anything constructive to our problems.Talk is cheap and he should have held his hands up and admitted getting rid of some of our squad and not replacing them with better players was a massive mistake.Does anybody have any idea how we lined up yesterday as it seems Hughes reverted back to midfield, if so another strange decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:10 am

divas wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:[

I’d imagine it’s the prospect of having to make a 6 hour round trip to do so. It’s probably a bit easier to make that drive when you’re winning but the appetite soon goes when you’re struggling. It’s completely unsustainable. You have to recruit everyone from that area and train locally in the Midlands for it to work.
Add to that the fact that the weather is turning and long winter drives are unpleasant at the best of times. Also, if you're driving in the dark, you're knackered by the time you turn up. I imagine in the summer with some bangin' choons then it's OK, but from now until April it'll be less fun. And that takes us to the end of the season.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 am

Yes, we started with a defence of elliott-galbraith-burn-trotman, and a midfield of -henshall-hughes-wheatley-thompson, then Nicholson behind Saunders.

We then changed to galbraith-hughes-burn-trotman, with elliott and wheatley in cm.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:18 am

To state the bleedin obvious - if we cock up against Nuneaton Tommy could well resign shortly after.

He’s bound to have picked up the feeling that fans are questioning his abilities and I reckon this will be very much playing on his mind, I don’t think he’s as hard nosed as some previous incumbents of our managerial hot seat.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!