Caton playing Uni football

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Caton playing Uni football

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 am

Is that not a breach of his contract with us? (He posted about it on twitter)

I know York sacked Gary Martin for playing Sunday league...

I’ve nothing against him, and wish him well, but he shouldn’t be picking up a salary from us while advertising he’s playing for his university. It’s presumably a breach of FA rules I would have thought too?

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Caton playing Uni football

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

H1987 wrote:Is that not a breach of his contract with us? (He posted about it on twitter)

I’ve nothing against him, and wish him well, but he shouldn’t be picking up a salary from us while advertising he’s playing for his university. It’s presumably a breach of FA rules I would have thought too?
Good point, I think this needs forwarding to the club. Again like you nothing against the guy (although I have always questioned his desire) but he is employed by us, if he gets injured (and we all know how injury prone he is) playing for his University, Stalybridge would send him back, and we would lose whatever wage contribution we would be getting for him.
The really boils my p*** quite frankly - having Caton on our books is potentially blocking another potential signing that we could do with to bolster the thin squad.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:54 am

H1987 wrote:Is that not a breach of his contract with us? (He posted about it on twitter)

Gary Martin was sacked from playing Sunday league because his contract will have said that while registered with York City he can only play for York City. Darlington Albion are an affiliated team with Durham County FA so will have breached by doing that.

I am not even sure he will still strictly speaking be registered with us anymore for the period of his loan. I think his registration is paused and would be held by Stalybridge - I know that there are a number of Evostik players who are non-contracted so still play Sunday league in fact some specifically request to be non-contracted for that reason.

It is not an FA rules breach as you can register for whoever you want. Competition rules dictate whether you can play in a particular competition or not.

It also depends what level of 'university football' he is playing if it is campus / internal stuff I am not even sure it is FA affiliated so it's no more 'organised' than playing garages with his mates. If it's for the actual uni team they tend to be affiliated so there would be a 'breach' if there were a clause in his contract loan agreement contract with Stalybridge.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am

The flip side is maybe he has permission from ourselves/Stalybridge to do this?

I would be careful not to jump to conclusions here with out knowing the terms of the loan agreement between the two clubs and an apparent lack of knowledge regarding FA rules on this matter? (Which rule is he breaching?)
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:58 pm

quaker4life wrote:The flip side is maybe he has permission from ourselves/Stalybridge to do this?

I would be careful not to jump to conclusions here with out knowing the terms of the loan agreement between the two clubs and an apparent lack of knowledge regarding FA rules on this matter? (Which rule is he breaching?)
In which case, forwarding the information to the club won't cause any harm - they'll just say yes it's fine we're aware and have given permission.

Better safe than sorry.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm

The club are aware.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:17 pm

As in they're aware of it, and they're fine with it? Or they now know of it, and they're considering what to do. Just curious really.

I would've assumed most university teams are FA affiliated? It's not the same as just the social league stuff most universities do, and the potential for him to get clogged certainly exists.

I'd be surprised if Stalybridge are covering his entire salary, so he's still being paid by us to some extent I would imagine. The last thing we need is him to knack himself, thus ensuring no one will take him before his contract runs out....

Also... just noticed that his university team has a blue tick, but our official twitter account doesn't. Bit odd! (Hardly important, and i don't really understand the process, but still)

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:40 pm

You’ve been told the club are aware of this.
The club will act accordingly.
What the fuck is a blue tick?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm

To be fair the university is a dedicated football university by the looks of it affiliated with the etihad campus, Burnley FC and Wembley. I suspect games for them is akin to the non league trials which we were happy for Trotman etc. to partake in. It’s basically a shop window.

I suspect the club are not only aware they probably encouraged. I think playing may even be a part of his course given their twitter description is “a world first in football and sports education offering university degrees at etihad campus and Wembley stadium”

We have players who are personal trainers and all sorts of other jobs - if he got injured it would be equivalent of them getting injured at work.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am

lo36789 wrote:To be fair the university is a dedicated football university by the looks of it affiliated with the etihad campus, Burnley FC and Wembley. I suspect games for them is akin to the non league trials which we were happy for Trotman etc. to partake in. It’s basically a shop window.

I suspect the club are not only aware they probably encouraged. I think playing may even be a part of his course given their twitter description is “a world first in football and sports education offering university degrees at etihad campus and Wembley stadium”

We have players who are personal trainers and all sorts of other jobs - if he got injured it would be equivalent of them getting injured at work.
Presumably with Health & Safety compliance, Uni ensure that he would be wearing gloves to minimise injury? ;)

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Perhaps we are happy, but I couldn't help see similarities with the Martin situation...

The blue tick is for verified official accounts on Twitter. It seems odd our club account doesn't have one. Every other team in the division seems to be?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Caton not in the squad for Stalybridge today, yet played for the Uni the other day
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman