Darlington v Boston

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Boston

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Looking ahead to this weekend's game we have a tough game against Boston, looking to consolidate the 3 points picked up against FCUM last weekend and can we dream of it stringing back to back wins together for the first time this season.

Our opponents are in 4th place with 21 points from 12 games. Much like Blyth last season they seem to be a little do or die with 7 wins, 5 defeats and 0 draws (there you go that should curse it for a 0-0). Boston seem to have invested this season in the hope of promotion with the absence of a huge spender or clear favourite for the league title. It's probably their best opportunity since Dennis Greene took them to the play offs a few years ago. Although some marquee signings in Nathan Arnold and Adam Marriott haven't worked out, they are still well placed for a challenge for the playoffs. What's more they'll come into the game full of confidence having beaten Blyth 4 - 0 at home last weekend.

While our win against FCUM wasn't the most convincing, considering we know how the team can play based on the performances against Brackley, Blyth and AFC Telford. It does provide a basis for which to progress. Many people have put it in the same bracket as the Leamington game last season. To hold such significance we must go on to get a positive result in this game.

The big selection question will most certainly be in attack. Where Ainge, Styche and Saunders will be vying for starting spots. For me Harvey has earned his start on merit ahead of Ainge and Styche and should be on the field from the start. I thought it was harsh for Nicholson to be benched last weekend so would bring him back in along with Syers. Further to that barring Wheatley and his abdominal injury our team picks it's self mostly.

For me I still think 4-2-3-1 is the formation which makes us most solid and thus provides us the best chance of winning games. Such results will be dependent on both ends of the pitch. Our defence seems to have stemmed the early season flow of goals so now it's time we got Thompson, Syers and Nicholson their goal scoring mojo. With the team below we certainly won't be short of options from the bench.

My team would be.

---------------------------- Maddison ----------------------------

Trotman ------ Hughes----- Galbraith --------- O'Hanlon

--------------------- Elliott ------- Wheatley -------------------

Thompson ------------ Syers ------------------ Nicholson

--------------------------- Saunders ---------------------------

Subs: Hall, Burn, Styche, Ainge, Henshall.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Darlington v Boston

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 pm

I can understand why Saunders was returned to the bench after Styche's first Gibraltar jaunt, but Styche didn't perform in that game - so for T.W. to do this again after such a good display by H.S last Saturday could be viewed as unfair.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 pm

I fear we may lose liam Hughes with some hand wrist injury after last Saturday he seemed to be in some trouble with it after getting a knock in Saturday's game, hopefully not but devil's advocate, jonny burn should come straight in if liam doesn't make it.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

onewayup wrote:I fear we may lose liam Hughes with some hand wrist injury after last Saturday he seemed to be in some trouble with it after getting a knock in Saturday's game, hopefully not but devil's advocate, jonny burn should come straight in if liam doesn't make it.
Yeah I noticed that as well. Took a whack to it during the first half and I thought he was going to come off there and then as he looked in a lot of pain. Came out for the second half with it all wrapped up. There was a moment after the break as well when the ball was passed to him for a freekick and he stuck his hand out to stop it and it was clearly painful for him.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Styche must start I'm afraid , Harvey has done nothing wrong so start both

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Well that's was kind of what I was getting at Harry, but can you play them both? Whilst playing to both of their strengths.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Boston's marquee signings in both Marriott and Arnold had been very disappointing for them after they arrived with high hopes & good CV's.

Both have left now.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm

All these people suggesting a 4-5-1 with Saunders alone up top need their heads testing.

As much as he has came on, it is asking a lot of him to be the lone striker week in week out.

As if people are really suggesting that we leave both Styche and Ainge (probably our 2 biggest earners) on the bench.

We need to be examining why we need 5 midfielders to avoid being over-ran, then come up with the solution we can play 4-4-2 like everyone else on planet earth does. Then we can have Styche and Saunders up front - ah, that's better.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote: we can play 4-4-2 like everyone else on planet earth

"Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop - this is planet earth" Ooops, just went a bit Simon Lee Bon :oops:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:All these people suggesting a 4-5-1 with Saunders alone up top need their heads testing.

As much as he has came on, it is asking a lot of him to be the lone striker week in week out.

As if people are really suggesting that we leave both Styche and Ainge (probably our 2 biggest earners) on the bench.

We need to be examining why we need 5 midfielders to avoid being over-ran, then come up with the solution we can play 4-4-2 like everyone else on planet earth does. Then we can have Styche and Saunders up front - ah, that's better.
Certainly don't think I need my head checking. Our team from our best performance and result of the season (3-0 v Telford is pasted below, we played 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1).

Darlington:

Maddison, Trotman, Hughes, Burn, O’Hanlon, Wheatley, Elliott, Thompson, Syers, Nicholson, Saunders

Subs: Aaron Burns, Henshall, Lycett, Glover, Morrison

Why can't Saunders play upfront on his own? he has 4 goals in 5 matches so is the form striker out of the 3 we have? On top of that while he might be young, you can see Trotman and Wheatley's ages below. We expect them to perform week in week out why should the expectation be any different for Saunders. He's full of confidence and he's developing game by game. Definitely worth his place in the team.

Luke Trotman - 20th June 1997 - 21
Joe Wheatley - 30th December 1996 - 21
Harvey Saunders - 20th July 1997 - 21

Look at the top of our own league. Non of the teams in the top 7 consistently play 4-4-2. Football has moved on.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 pm

JE - Think I would start with that team as well 4-2-3-1 against Boston would work I think having watched the Blyth vs Boston highlights. Saunders, Nicholson and Syres look to have goals in them (and Thommo for penalties and hope he gets his eye back in for goal). Would stick with Saunders as Ainge and Styche look off the pace at the moment.

Really looking forward to the game.

"Up the Quakers"

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 pm

JE93 wrote: Certainly don't think I need my head checking. Our team from our best performance and result of the season (3-0 v Telford is pasted below, we played 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1).
And the formation v Brackley, where we won 4-2 away, and arguably was our best result of the season, was...

4-4-2

What was it v Blyth and Spennymoor where we played well but drew? Hmmm, 4-4-2 was it not.

I'm not saying we shouldn't play 4-5-1 ever, but we should be equally capable of playing 4-4-2 and taking advantage of our striking power

In your first post you said we should go 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1) with Saunders up top, and it was time for Thompson, Nicholson and Syers to get their goalscoring mojo...

It could equally be argued to play 4-4-2 with Saunders and Styche, and it is time for Styche, Ainge and Thompson to get their goalscoring mojo.

It's madness to play neither of Styche and Ainge when they're both fit and available, madness.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote: Certainly don't think I need my head checking. Our team from our best performance and result of the season (3-0 v Telford is pasted below, we played 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1).
And the formation v Brackley, where we won 4-2 away, and arguably was our best result of the season, was...

4-4-2

What was it v Blyth and Spennymoor where we played well but drew? Hmmm, 4-4-2 was it not.

I'm not saying we shouldn't play 4-5-1 ever, but we should be equally capable of playing 4-4-2 and taking advantage of our striking power

In your first post you said we should go 4-5-1 (4-2-3-1) with Saunders up top, and it was time for Thompson, Nicholson and Syers to get their goalscoring mojo...

It could equally be argued to play 4-4-2 with Saunders and Styche, and it is time for Styche, Ainge and Thompson to get their goalscoring mojo.

It's madness to play neither of Styche and Ainge when they're both fit and available, madness.
But it’s not madness to play two totally out of form strikers and hope they suddenly spring back to life?.Ainge was completely off it last Saturday and certainly doesn’t deserve to be in the side ahead of Saunders on current form and Styche up until now has had a one game(Brackley) season.Harvey is full of himself at the minute and deserves his chance.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 pm

I agree that Saunders has earned one of the forward spots.

However, hoping that Styche and Ainge find their goalscoring mojo, and hoping that Nicholson and Syers (in the 4-5-1) find their goalscoring mojo - what is the difference?

Both scenarios rely on a couple of players re-discovering their scoring boots.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I agree that Saunders has earned one of the forward spots.

However, hoping that Styche and Ainge find their goalscoring mojo, and hoping that Nicholson and Syers (in the 4-5-1) find their goalscoring mojo - what is the difference?

Shouldn't need to be pointed out there's an obvious difference between Styche+Ainge and Nicholson+Syers.

And are either of Syers and Nicholson out of form? Given TW has had them in and out of the side, I don't see how they can be classed as out of form if they're not getting a regular run.

Not really thought this one through, have you?

We were fairly poor against an awful side last weekend while playing 4-4-2. The issue is it leaves us defensively short, as the two full backs are fairly attack-minded and Thommo isn't particularly defensively-minded. We also lose a body going forward as Elliott isn't particularly offensively-minded.

Galbraith isn't a NLN standard centre back, and Hughes is only recently converted to that position. So we need the cover.

In truth, the 4-2-3-1 isn't that far removed from your beloved 4-4-2 (which isn't used by everyone else in the league, as you misleadingly insist). But it's more flexible as it allows Syers to push further forward, or add an extra body to midfield when needed. And we may well need it against one of the strongest sides in the division this weekend.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:46 am

Need to keep a clean sheet and have all the defence alert right from start of game & getting some clean tackles in. Trotman & O'Hanlon good getting forward but need to improve marking men tighter. Hughes getting better but can he play with his wrist injury? Possibly Burn or Vaulks to start as cover in back four, even both then push Galbraith into midfield as he isn't a natural CB & we need more beef there. Maddison getting better with every game but needs to cut out those odd mistakes. If we can do that and get someone up front to regain their confidence , we can beat Boston.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 am

jjljks wrote:Need to keep a clean sheet and have all the defence alert right from start of game & getting some clean tackles in. Trotman & O'Hanlon good getting forward but need to improve marking men tighter. Hughes getting better but can he play with his wrist injury? Possibly Burn or Vaulks to start as cover in back four, even both then push Galbraith into midfield as he isn't a natural CB & we need more beef there. Maddison getting better with every game but needs to cut out those odd mistakes. If we can do that and get someone up front to regain their confidence , we can beat Boston.
I would bring Burn in if fit and put Galbraith to Left back, need to see Vaulks on the bench, need someone to challenge Trotman for his place as at times he is going thru the motions.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I agree that Saunders has earned one of the forward spots.

Shouldn't need to be pointed out there's an obvious difference between Styche+Ainge and Nicholson+Syers.

And are either of Syers and Nicholson out of form? Given TW has had them in and out of the side, I don't see how they can be classed as out of form if they're not getting a regular run.

Not really thought this one through, have you?

We were fairly poor against an awful side last weekend while playing 4-4-2. The issue is it leaves us defensively short, as the two full backs are fairly attack-minded and Thommo isn't particularly defensively-minded. We also lose a body going forward as Elliott isn't particularly offensively-minded.

Galbraith isn't a NLN standard centre back, and Hughes is only recently converted to that position. So we need the cover.

In truth, the 4-2-3-1 isn't that far removed from your beloved 4-4-2 (which isn't used by everyone else in the league, as you misleadingly insist). But it's more flexible as it allows Syers to push further forward, or add an extra body to midfield when needed. And we may well need it against one of the strongest sides in the division this weekend.
We play 4-4-2 with our attacking full backs to make us more of a goalscoring threat. Here's a quote from Tommy on the effectiveness of the system after the Stockport game
"We don't look like we have a goal in us"
We need a sweeper (showing my age!) to play our system, and even then it needs to be a floating midfielder, like Southgate has been trying against recent opposition so as not to get out run in midfield, and Eric Dier has been playing that role. If we must play our system, we need flexible shapes when attacking and defending as Gramps says. Jamie Carragher explained it very well after the Spain game last week. Speak to Gareth, Tommy!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:49 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
jjljks wrote:Need to keep a clean sheet and have all the defence alert right from start of game & getting some clean tackles in. Trotman & O'Hanlon good getting forward but need to improve marking men tighter. Hughes getting better but can he play with his wrist injury? Possibly Burn or Vaulks to start as cover in back four, even both then push Galbraith into midfield as he isn't a natural CB & we need more beef there. Maddison getting better with every game but needs to cut out those odd mistakes. If we can do that and get someone up front to regain their confidence , we can beat Boston.
I would bring Burn in if fit and put Galbraith to Left back, need to see Vaulks on the bench, need someone to challenge Trotman for his place as at times he is going thru the motions.
Seriously Trotman just going through the motions??

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Don't know whether it's because they are playing well/have great players or they see we have a woeful home record or a combination of all of these but the Boston fans' predictions for this game suggest that the points are pretty much in the bag. Often fans tend to be tad cautious in predictions (not wanting to tempt fate too much) but on this occasion they rate our chances as pretty much that of a snowball in hell.
These days I tend to go along to BM with fairly low expectations (just based on our long-term record there) but hopefully TW can come up with the right tactics/formation/gameplan to give us something to shout about... and silence the Pilgrims.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:29 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Don't know whether it's because they are playing well/have great players or they see we have a woeful home record or a combination of all of these but the Boston fans' predictions for this game suggest that the points are pretty much in the bag. Often fans tend to be tad cautious in predictions (not wanting to tempt fate too much) but on this occasion they rate our chances as pretty much that of a snowball in hell.
These days I tend to go along to BM with fairly low expectations (just based on our long-term record there) but hopefully TW can come up with the right tactics/formation/gameplan to give us something to shout about... and silence the Pilgrims.
Just checked this out. You're right they are very confident. Just checked the league table to see where their confidence is coming from.

Boston have played 6 away games. From those games they have won 4, drawn 0 and lost 2. Scored 10 conceded 4. Giving them 12 points and a GD of +6.

At home we are played 6. From those games we have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4. Scored 5 and concede 8. Giving us 4 points and a GD of -3.

We'll need to be at our best if we want a result tomorrow. I don't doubt that us at our best we are capable of beating anyone in this league. We need consistency and concentration over the full 90 minutes.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:

For me Trotman has been the most consistent player this season and definitely not going through the motions.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:

For me Trotman has been the most consistent player this season and definitely not going through the motions.
Tell me about it god I can't believe on here what people expect our players to be?? They are PART TIME players with jobs they are not on 100/200 grand a week pre madonnas... Give them a break get behind the team instead of slating them week in week out

divas

Post by divas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 pm

I’d hate to see Trotman post Madonna

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 pm

divas wrote:I’d hate to see Trotman post Madonna
:D

Harry can't spell Italian - but he can at least spell Trotman proper.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:05 am

For me we have to accept where we are and that Boston are flying at the minute and park the bus and go 5-4-1

Maddison
O'Hanlan Galbraith Hughes Burn Trotman
Thompson Wheatley Syers Nicholson
Saunders
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 am

Liked Eddie Rowles idea of Galbraith at LB as this would allow O'Hanlon to play in front of back 4 & help in winning ball as well as supplying his crosses from LW.
Trotman doing ok but often seems to be outnumbered as midfielders caught out of position & not tracking back quick enough.
Agree with Harry, fans need to get behind the team rather than on their backs.
Give Saunders a starting slot ahead of Styche and Ainge. Hope Boston have a long tiring journey & fail to carry on with their cracking away form. Darlo often play better against inform teams and get surprise wins so fingers crossed for a home win.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 am

Hope TW uses the Boston fans predictions on the players so they are aware that they are looked on by the majority of Boston fans as easy meat today. Should provide an additional incentive to prove them wrong. Also hope we get over 1500 fans turn up so none of their predictions are correct.

Think this will be a good game and we will do well today really looking forward to the game.

Up the Quakers

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 am

Boston fans getting a little bit carried away here, anyone can beat any team in this league on their day, that's how wide open it is.If Tommy picks a good starting eleven then confident we will win this one.Would not mind Burn back at CB and move Tez to LB as mentioned previously to give us a more solid look.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Boston fans getting a little bit carried away here, anyone can beat any team in this league on their day, that's how wide open it is.If Tommy picks a good starting eleven then confident we will win this one.Would not mind Burn back at CB and move Tez to LB as mentioned previously to give us a more solid look.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Good shout Ron. I'd play O'Hanlon left wing in front of Tez. He's fast, tricky and can cross a ball with his left foot. That said I thought Henshall looked good last Saturday. A class player if we can get him fully fit...would be great to silence the 'gimme six' brigade too
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.