Darlington v Stockport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Stockport

Post by tdk1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:30 am

We don't know when to press, we look less fit than our opponents, there are no loud voices on the pitch, we look vulnerable at set pieces but entirely unlikely to score from ours. Our shape is a mess, our movement off the ball is more or less non-existent. These are management issues.

The worst thing I can possibly say for the players is that we lost a lot of people who really understood where the reborn club comes from and what the supporters put into it, and I'm not sure most of the current crop have that same understanding.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 am

Half the team must spend as much time sat on their arses in a car as they do on the training pitch. Does nothing for fitness or team spirit.
If TW had been our manager back in 2012 we would still be in the Northern League.
Nice guy, good with fans and media but more suited to assistant managers job.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am

Stat on the official site re corners.

1 to us/11 to them :crazy:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:47 am

banktopp wrote:Half the team must spend as much time sat on their arses in a car as they do on the training pitch. Does nothing for fitness or team spirit.
If TW had been our manager back in 2012 we would still be in the Northern League.
Nice guy, good with fans and media but more suited to assistant managers job.
Puzzles me how they make training twice a week liveing so far away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:23 pm

shildonlad wrote: Puzzles me how they make training twice a week liveing so far away
Well, they get in their car around 3pm, and drive for around 3 hours. Then they train for a couple of hours, setting off home around 8pm for a 3 hour drive back, and will be sat in jamas with a mug of cocoa by 11.30pm. Twice.

Hope that solves the puzzle for you.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:31 pm

I am darlington through and through will never ever stop supporting the team no matter what, I think that until all at our club are putting in the same effort desire and determination to achieve, then we maybe will turn the corner, as it is now I see a struggle to stay out of the bottom three, which I believe at the moment is where we're heading.
Hopefully it can be sorted as there is still time, but it runs out pretty fast.
Over to you Tommy and team. Can you do it. Time will tell.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Yes onewayup, the players..........

I mean, what is going on with them? Or some of them.

Our game changing players aren't changing games, they don't seem to able to find that little bit extra you need to make a difference - and the common denominator running through this entire thread is that nearly every team that turns up at Blackwell Meadows works harder, is better organised and most importantly wants the points more than we seem to.

Styche, he looks out of sorts, he's making wrong decisions and blasting over the bar. Thompson, he looks flat.
Ainge, what did he produce yesterday when he came on?

Part of the problem is this - we have a small squad, our big names are guaranteed a start if they are fit, i.e. T.W. feels he can't drop anyone which obviously leads to complacency.

It's not only the management that needs to take a look at themselves over this bad run, the players do too

If Nuneaton win on Tuesday we will be in the bottom 3.

Worth recalling what some of our ex-players (Scott for one I think) said about TW's lack of man management skills. They were slated as being bitter but maybe they had more insight than we give them credit for.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 pm

tdk1 wrote:We don't know when to press, we look less fit than our opponents, there are no loud voices on the pitch, we look vulnerable at set pieces but entirely unlikely to score from ours. Our shape is a mess, our movement off the ball is more or less non-existent. These are management issues.

The worst thing I can possibly say for the players is that we lost a lot of people who really understood where the reborn club comes from and what the supporters put into it, and I'm not sure most of the current crop have that same understanding.
I agree. Let's be clear, most of the players TW has signed are here first and foremost because of the wages they get, secondly because of TW and in a poor third place DFC. But I do wonder if this was any different under MG other than as mainly North East Lads they did care about the club?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Because the people of the north east care so deeply about Darlington FC?

Most of the people of Darlington don't care about Darlington FC, let alone the region as a whole. Why would players being from the North East have any baring on how much they care about the club?
bga wrote:
tdk1 wrote:We don't know when to press, we look less fit than our opponents, there are no loud voices on the pitch, we look vulnerable at set pieces but entirely unlikely to score from ours. Our shape is a mess, our movement off the ball is more or less non-existent. These are management issues.

I agree. Let's be clear, most of the players TW has signed are here first and foremost because of the wages they get, secondly because of TW and in a poor third place DFC. But I do wonder if this was any different under MG other than as mainly North East Lads they did care about the club?
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Just listened to his interview including quote” we won’t change anything we do on the training pitch” eh! Well Tommy, it’s not working actually.......

Sums it up for me!
Apart from Jim Gannon amazingly stating BM is "A hard place to come to," rest of his interview is very interesting. See how worried they were about Syers and some advice to TW to change what you do in training if you want things to improve!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiS_Bfy4Nk4

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:26 pm

It seems that as well as handing Stockport County 3 gift-wrapped points (as we normally do at BM) we also extended the hospitality to allowing some of their fans to watch the game for free.

One of their fans wrote on their fans site: "My favourite feature of the ground was the way Darlington had done away with turnstiles for away fans and instead we just walked into this lovely bar and then into the ground - not sure how they will ever make that pay but who's complaining - certainly not the Major who got in for free twice!!"

Another wrote: "Walking in without being questioned or charged was a surprise! So to repay the free entry I used the funds on the well stocked bar If only more teams could treat away fans so well."

Maybe how that was allowed to happen is something that needs to be looked at. And, no, I don't blame TW for that!

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Spyman wrote:Because the people of the north east care so deeply about Darlington FC?

Most of the people of Darlington don't care about Darlington FC, let alone the region as a whole. Why would players being from the North East have any baring on how much they care about the club?
bga wrote:

If it is your view that a player who commutes perhaps a 300 mile round trip twice or 3 times a week if there is a home game, is more passionate about DFC than say a Gary Brown, or a Leon Scott, then that is your view. I would rather have NE Based players playing for us, but obviously at the moment that is not happening.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Agree with most of what has been said in this thread with regards to Wright and personally after yesterday I'm at a crossroads, although my confidence in him is decreasing I'm still holding onto that bit of hope that he can turn it around and that in a couple of weeks time we'll be able to forget ever having this conversation.

But I just don't see it, as soon as they went 1-0 up yesterday I knew instantly it would be the only goal of the game, a game which for me was devoid of quality on both sides especially after they scored. It was end to end and quite a high tempo for the first 20 minutes with neither team creating much our best chance was probably Styche's chip into the keepers hands which about summed it up.

Once they took the lead though, as expected, it was Alfreton-esque they were solid, organised and disciplined their #2 in particular was very good and very little got passed him. Styche and Saunders were passengers for the most part and I think Thommo wandered off onto the (other) rugby pitch. At least against Alfreton, even with a supposedly weakened team, we created chances and in the end should have got something from it but they could still be playing now and Stockport would still be 1-0 up.

We huffed and puffed but they didn't even seem to break stride and nor did they need to we created next to nothing although both keepers had the deck chairs out for most of it I think it took us till injury time to mount a serious attack and have an effort on goal in the second half. I also thought we lacked quality, we were totally ineffective and at best we looked dogged and unfortunately as has been said above its becoming an all too familiar and predictable story especially at Blackwell Meadows. We seem to be a world away from being moments away from beating Spennymoor and beating Brackley even after we drew with Blyth and lost to Kiddy it felt as though it was just about to click, it just hasn't happened.

The worrying thing though is that yesterday is not an isolated incident Curzon at home on the opening day (barring the first 25 minutes or so), Alty at home, and the first half at Ashton we were genuinely poor. We were also apparently spared a heavy defeat at Southport by Johnny Maddison having a blinder and I'm told we were poor last week against BPA in the FA Cup, it's now happening far too often to be considered a "blip". It seems we have reverted back to the same pattern we saw when Tommy first took over and Telford was nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Styche's goals were a massive factor in us avoiding relegation and even touching on the fringes of the play offs last season but lately he's gone missing in action, Ainge has done very little after impressing in the first 3 or 4 games and was Alex Henshall just a figment of our imagination? We haven't scored in over 4 hours of football in all competitions and the only real silver lining recently has been Liam Hughes who has come into his own after moving into the centre of defence, ironic that only a few short weeks ago he was getting booed off.

If we fail to win in the next few games FC United Away, Boston Home, Leamington Away then serious questions will have to be asked, I don't want to see Tommy go but it's not getting any easier.

Pre-season already feels like an age ago and that trip to Eindhoven nothing more than a nicety, a weekend on the lash with the lads with a kick about with their reserves thrown in for good measure.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:08 pm

No, that's not my view and that's not close to what I said.

Scott, Brown etc probably became very passionate about the club because they were part of a side on the up, winning promotions and being adored by the supporters. I can't imagine where they were born made the slightest difference.

The fact is, they were no longer good enough for this level and I doubt we'd be doing any better with them in the side, passion or no passion. We have to move on.

Whether the current players are good enough or passionate enough has nothing to do with where they're from. The travel may impact their performance though, that's for sure - but if we can't afford to compete for the best local talent anymore then we have to make do.
bga wrote:
Spyman wrote:Because the people of the north east care so deeply about Darlington FC?

bga wrote:

If it is your view that a player who commutes perhaps a 300 mile round trip twice or 3 times a week if there is a home game, is more passionate about DFC than say a Gary Brown, or a Leon Scott, then that is your view. I would rather have NE Based players playing for us, but obviously at the moment that is not happening.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:12 pm

bga wrote:

bga wrote:

Slightly different based on the fact that Gary Brown was a darlo fan / youth teamer. If we're to claim this then where do we draw the line? Cartman came from West Yorkshire, Gaskell, Manchester, Was that a problem? Was it a problem when Styche and Heaton and Trotman and O'Hanlon were travelling last season and we were on a 11 game unbeaten run? In my opinion that's looking for excuses.

Our biggest problem for me is we don't look well drilled or fit enough, most of this should have been done in pre season and fine tuned during the season depending on who we were playing. That is a management issue.

We have decent players. I do think haven't replaced leaders in the dressing room being Turnbull and Brown. I think both would have been retained however Collins had an extra year on his contract and we weren't likely to have any offers for a player who'd been injured all season and Turnbull wanted to play for his home town club. But we need players in the current crop to step up.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
shildonlad wrote: Puzzles me how they make training twice a week liveing so far away
Well, they get in their car around 3pm, and drive for around 3 hours. Then they train for a couple of hours, setting off home around 8pm for a 3 hour drive back, and will be sat in jamas with a mug of cocoa by 11.30pm. Twice.

Hope that solves the puzzle for you.
Yeah well I gathered that was thinking more about how they fit it in with day jobs unless you lay them that much they don’t need one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 pm

quaker4life wrote:our best chance was probably Styche's chip into the keepers hands which about summed it up.
Seen a few pops at Styche over this chance.
Did anyone else see Lacazette, a striker that Arsenal paid £46.5m for, miss a chance yesterday virtually the same as Styches?
Yes he's out of form but people really need to lay off this extreme criticism of him. He's a proven goalscorer at the level so we need him in form and people getting on his back is not going to help.
Theres some loudmouths in the tin shed who are on his back from the first minute. Not good support IMO.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:It seems that as well as handing Stockport County 3 gift-wrapped points (as we normally do at BM) we also extended the hospitality to allowing some of their fans to watch the game for free.

One of their fans wrote on their fans site: "My favourite feature of the ground was the way Darlington had done away with turnstiles for away fans and instead we just walked into this lovely bar and then into the ground - not sure how they will ever make that pay but who's complaining - certainly not the Major who got in for free twice!!"

Another wrote: "Walking in without being questioned or charged was a surprise! So to repay the free entry I used the funds on the well stocked bar If only more teams could treat away fans so well."

Maybe how that was allowed to happen is something that needs to be looked at. And, no, I don't blame TW for that!
Two points here.
1. Why were these people going through main reception rather than the turnstiles in the first place. Hardly an easy mistake to make.
2. More importantly, why was no one there to stop them. I went in through main reception about 2.30 (legitimately as I’m a volunteer) and it was completely deserted.

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 pm

loan_star wrote:
quaker4life wrote:our best chance was probably Styche's chip into the keepers hands which about summed it up.
Seen a few pops at Styche over this chance.
Did anyone else see Lacazette, a striker that Arsenal paid £46.5m for, miss a chance yesterday virtually the same as Styches?
Yes he's out of form but people really need to lay off this extreme criticism of him. He's a proven goalscorer at the level so we need him in form and people getting on his back is not going to help.
Theres some loudmouths in the tin shed who are on his back from the first minute. Not good support IMO.
Couldn’t agree more, I think it extends beyond Styche. A few weeks ago it was Jonny Maddison getting grief before the game had started. At the moment the team really needs a lift to help get on winning ways and fans getting at them isn’t going help at all.

We really need to get together, behind the lads and everyone else at the club and let’s hope we get back winning games soon.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:29 pm

dfc4me wrote:Two points here.
1. Why were these people going through main reception rather than the turnstiles in the first place. Hardly an easy mistake to make.
2. More importantly, why was no one there to stop them. I went in through main reception about 2.30 (legitimately as I’m a volunteer) and it was completely deserted.

Re question 1. They went through reception because they were chancing their luck as it sounds like "the Major" had used the same routine last year and word had got round.

It's important we stop this now as no one should ever be allowed to get in for free - especially as in the main part of the ground there are volunteers asking our hard pressed fans to contribute extra monies.

I'm glad the Stockport crew have highlighted this.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dfclincolnshire

Post by dfclincolnshire » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
It seems that as well as handing Stockport County 3 gift-wrapped points (as we normally do at BM) we also extended the hospitality to allowing some of their fans to watch the game for free.

Two points here.

Sorry gentleman facts are incorrect here, reception was very busy yesterday with a full house in hospitality, a large media presence, police, and a number of other parties, they were also short staffed and assisting other areas. Security were in the foyer so no one can walk in. They also received abuse from Stockport fans for the fact no bar was available and again security had to be called for. Give the staff a break

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm not criticising anyone. Stockport fans are saying some of them managed to walk in for free. Clearly it's something that should be looked at and it's not a personal dig at anyone.

DFC_Supp_Liaison1

Post by DFC_Supp_Liaison1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not criticising anyone. Stockport fans are saying some of them managed to walk in for free. Clearly it's something that should be looked at and it's not a personal dig at anyone.
Certainly something that needs to be looked at whatever the underlying reasons may have been.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am

I am also a volunteer and there was security on the desk when I entered building at 2.50. The SLO should be the first point of contact rather than social media otherwise some people will think it is criticism rather than trying to resolve the issue.

Maurice_Peddelty

I am also a volunteer and there was security on the desk when I entered building at 2.50. The SLO should be the first point of contact rather than social media otherwise some people will think it is criticism rather than trying to resolve the issue.

Maurice_Peddelty

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:31 am

Yarblockos wrote:

Our game changing players aren't changing games, they don't seem to able to find that little bit extra you need to make a difference - and the common denominator running through this entire thread is that nearly every team that turns up at Blackwell Meadows works harder, is better organised and most importantly wants the points more than we seem to.

Styche, he looks out of sorts, he's making wrong decisions and blasting over the bar. Thompson, he looks flat.

Part of the problem is this - we have a small squad, our big names are guaranteed a start if they are fit, i.e. T.W. feels he can't drop anyone which obviously leads to complacency.

It's not only the management that needs to take a look at themselves over this bad run, the players do too

Worth recalling what some of our ex-players (Scott for one I think) said about TW's lack of man management skills. They were slated as being bitter but maybe they had more insight than we give them credit for.
I know TW/AW will be given a more games to turn this around (unless they do the honourable thing and walk) but then we hit November/December looking for a replacement and then half season gone and another frustrating period where we loose a few more hardcore suporters. I am concerned the club finances will haemorrhage too much if we face a relegation battle and some may cancel DD supporting boost the budget.
I hope the academy is now setup to run whoever is manager after MG effect.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

I know TW/AW will be given a more games to turn this around (unless they do the honourable thing and walk) but then we hit November/December looking for a replacement and then half season gone and another frustrating period where we loose a few more hardcore suporters. I am concerned the club finances will haemorrhage too much if we face a relegation battle and some may cancel DD supporting boost the budget.
I hope the academy is now setup to run whoever is manager after MG effect.
It's our academy, rather than the managers so we are safe there.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:28 am

Maurice....I think you made your point!!!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:55 am

Just for once, i missed this home game and by the sound of it, very lucky to do so. Something isn't (W)right with the squad and tactics which have to be changed asap. Now even the security on access to ground via clubhouse seems to need tightening. I know we are not a "full time" club, but collectively we must do better. This is not an impossible task but is time limited.