Darlington v Bradford (Park Avenue)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Feethams 1966
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Bradford (Park Avenue)

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 pm

I agree with what's been said. Haven't been able to get to a match for a while and wished I hadn't gone today.
Bradford were the best team, far more committed and too fleet of foot for Darlington, whose tactics were to be boot it or head it the right way and hope for the best.
Inevitably the ball came straight back and with better finishing the game would have been over for us by half time, but for good saves by Maddison.
The best entertainment was when a bloke in the crowd returned the ball with a sweet header after it entered the tin shed.
Win or lose, we pay to be entertained but today's fiasco felt like a waste of good money. Thankfully the weather stayed fine.
I don't know what the answer is. TW is a nice bloke but he doesn't seem to produce an eleven that work as a team. It's as if they could do with a good "away day" in a hotel where the players could sit down and analyse what's gone wrong and what needs doing because at the moment they seem directionless.
I felt sorry for Thommo who did all the right things as usual, having to play in a side that's lost its way so badly, and reckon Brown got out at just the right time.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Midfield is our problem without a shadow of doubt IMO.Looking at the starting 11 with Elliott and Nicholson in midfield and Henshall out wide just made the result so predictable.Elliott and Nicholson are too similar and too lightweight and god knows what Henshall brings to the team, never takes his man on and hardly breaks sweat.Bradford were deserved winners and had shape we did not have.For a punt I would have Burn back partnering Hughes and have Tezz in a midfield 3 with Wheatley and Syers when everyone is fit.That would have a more solid look but I think Tommy will stick with Elliott and Nicholson.After today I have pretty much resigned us to a season of mediocrity as I think Tommy will go with this squad.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Not sure why Elliot gets stick - anyone would look bad playing in midfield by themselves, which he’s been asked to do far too often this season

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:24 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Midfield is our problem without a shadow of doubt IMO.Looking at the starting 11 with Elliott and Nicholson in midfield and Henshall out wide just made the result so predictable.Elliott and Nicholson are too similar and too lightweight and god knows what Henshall brings to the team, never takes his man on and hardly breaks sweat.Bradford were deserved winners and had shape we did not have.For a punt I would have Burn back partnering Hughes and have Tezz in a midfield 3 with Wheatley and Syers when everyone is fit.That would have a more solid look but I think Tommy will stick with Elliott and Nicholson.After today I have pretty much resigned us to a season of mediocrity as I think Tommy will go with this squad.

You would drop Elliott, wow, maybe I just see something different to others - is this really what people believe?

As for Nicholson he is decent in the right position, either wide drifting in or in and around a striker but not in a midfield two.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Midfield is our problem without a shadow of doubt IMO.Looking at the starting 11 with Elliott and Nicholson in midfield and Henshall out wide just made the result so predictable.Elliott and Nicholson are too similar and too lightweight and god knows what Henshall brings to the team, never takes his man on and hardly breaks sweat.Bradford were deserved winners and had shape we did not have.For a punt I would have Burn back partnering Hughes and have Tezz in a midfield 3 with Wheatley and Syers when everyone is fit.That would have a more solid look but I think Tommy will stick with Elliott and Nicholson.After today I have pretty much resigned us to a season of mediocrity as I think Tommy will go with this squad.

You would drop Elliott, wow, maybe I just see something different to others - is this really what people believe?

As for Nicholson he is decent in the right position, either wide drifting in or in and around a striker but not in a midfield two.
Completely agree about Tom Elliott. Really like him. Think he has good energy and is very composed on the ball. Likewise I think Nicholson has looked good on the left drifting inside.

Even with injuries there were options there today to maintain 4-2-3-1 and try and be more solid. Drop Aige to CB with Hughes. Move Galbraith into midfield alongside Elliott. I'd even have been tempted to start Syers and push Nicholson wide left, even if he couldn't see out 90 mins, he is one of the best players we have. Play your best team get yourself into a good position and then hold it and make your subs if needed.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Don’t disagree that Elliott has been the best of a very ordinary bunch of signings, apart from odd flashes, at best.......but what 1 out of 7 decent signings is ok then?

Does TW interview fill you with any confidence at all that he knows what to do to put it right. No, apart from it’s back to the drawing board!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Elliott is an excellent player but was left to shoulder the burden today. There is a lack of tactical nous and flexibility to make the best use of what we have. The summer recruitment decisions have also left us in this situation. If Wheatley moves on, which is not beyond the bounds, you dread to think.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Don’t disagree that Elliott has been the best of a very ordinary bunch of signings, apart from odd flashes, at best.......but what 1 out of 7 decent signings is ok then?

Does TW interview fill you with any confidence at all that he knows what to do to put it right. No, apart from it’s back to the drawing board!
In terms of signings I think your dislike of Wright as manager is a little clouded, best of ordinary is harsh on Elliott.

In all honesty Wright's interviews are generally decent and he seems to get it, it's his match day selection, formation and changes that worry me and give me no confidence that long term he will get it right in the way that puts us in a promotion shout.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 pm

The vast swings in performance levels, the terrible home form over a long period under TW and baffling tactics and formations lead me to think that avoiding relegation will be mission accomplished this season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Glad i am not alone in my disappointment with this lacklustre display. Am very concerned that TW is persisting in playing both Styche & Ainge together when from our results, it is obvious that 4-4-2 doesn't work. Wheatley seems to be a key player and without him we are lacking in invention and winning second ball. Syers coming on made a difference, but the damage had already been done. Why do we persist in knocking aimless long balls to the front two who appear to be incapable of holding up a ball then finding a team-mate? I had started to count the # of completed passes and the most we achieved to string together was 11. After 5 we would invariably hoof it hopefully upfield then fail to retain possession.
Styche is not worthy of the captaincy as he fails to inspire or encourage his team-mates then after the game had ended, got confrontational with hard core Tin Shed fans. Only the maturity of Hughes & Thommo who pulled him away, defused the situation. Either of them would be 100% better as captain.
TW has to radically change his tactics and become more proactive when it is evident the current ones are not working, otherwise we will face another season of being haunted by relegation.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Don’t disagree that Elliott has been the best of a very ordinary bunch of signings, apart from odd flashes, at best.......but what 1 out of 7 decent signings is ok then?

I think this is a rather harsh assessment of Maddison, Hughes, and Nicholson who along with Elliott have been more than decent. Burn has been OK. The other two were on the pitch today, but did not impress and have had less game time anyway with which to make an accurate assessment. Getting a system that will make the most of what they do have has been the main problem and this season still feels like someone threw the switch on Frankenstein's monster before all the parts had been assembled. So no surprise that some of the villagers are for carrying pitchforks and torches up to the Baron's castle.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:The vast swings in performance levels, the terrible home form over a long period under TW and baffling tactics and formations lead me to think that avoiding relegation will be mission accomplished this season.
It really won't be. DJ said we should be competing for the play-offs. TW said the squad had more quality than last season. Yet we're no further forwards, in fact we've gone backwards.

Not good enough at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:The vast swings in performance levels, the terrible home form over a long period under TW and baffling tactics and formations lead me to think that avoiding relegation will be mission accomplished this season.
It really won't be. DJ said we should be competing for the play-offs. TW said the squad had more quality than last season. Yet we're no further forwards, in fact we've gone backwards.

Not good enough at all.
A
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
why can't people keep there big mouths shut
Quite.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Quite.
Love you too Gramps

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Quite.
Love you too Gramps
In fairness fella, you're doing yourself no favours with your alcohol-fuelled ramblings. Best to step away from the keyboard for a bit.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:33 am

To be fair to Harry, what is our CEO's footballing credentials? You seem to take his pronunciation as gospel. Was it based on a knowledge of the strength of other team's squads or just on our budget because I think there is more to it than purely the size of the budget. Were we based Manchester or Midlands, we would have a better squad for the same money. We have the best of the players prepared to travel for the money we can offer. For northern based players, York, Spennymoor and probably South Shields can out bid us.

As for Styche getting confrontational with "hard core tin shed fans" jilijks, for hard core read tossers. The number of foul mouthed nonowts behind the goal is remarkable. Support the team when we are winning, abuse the moment things go against us. One bloke in particular abuses Styche from start to finish every game. He looks ready for a cardiac arrest at any minute. Why? Some people need to realise we are a two Bob semi pro football team. If it's that important in your life, then there is something seriously wrong.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:29 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:To be fair to Harry, what is our CEO's footballing credentials? You seem to take his pronunciation as gospel.
What do you mean by footballing credentials? His job is to run us on a day-to-day basis. His business knowledge and sense have taken us to a stronger position financially. He has a far better knowledge of our club's budget than you or I.

And let's remember, we weren't exactly overwhelmed with people wanting the role either, so I think you're being a bit out of order here, when your questioning is based on nothing more than your own supposition.

And given his work so far on stabilising our finances, I'm willing to trust him. He's always come across well and said to judge him on his results and in fairness since he took over, off the pitch, we're in a stronger position.

So it's not a case of taking what he says to be gospel (And let's be fair, you're exaggerating for effect here). More a case that, based on what he's achieved so far, I feel I can trust what he says. And at least one other club wanted his services last summer, so he's fairly well respected.

If you think he's wrong on our budget, that's fine and you're welcome to explain why he's wrong. But unless you're bringing anything more than your own suppositions, it's only ever your opinion.

It's not just him though is it? Our dear manager said similar things, more quality in the squad than last season was what he said.

Based on that, is it really so much to expect us to be doing much better than scrabbling around in the bottom third, and to be out of the cup? TW found winning formula last season and told us we'd improved on that. Of course he's not going to say we've gone backwards, but Quakerz came up with a decent analysis in another thread that we should be in and around the top 10 at the very least.

Ultimately, we are vastly under-performing on the pitch and responsibility lies with the manager. I do agree with you that some of our fans are making the team's job harder. The prick who was berating Styche all of yesterday was embarrassing.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 am

Darlogramps wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:To be fair to Harry, what is our CEO's footballing credentials? You seem to take his pronunciation as gospel.
What do you mean by footballing credentials? His job is to run us on a day-to-day basis. His business knowledge and sense have taken us to a stronger position financially. He has a far better knowledge of our club's budget than you or I.

And let's remember, we weren't exactly overwhelmed with people wanting the role either, so I think you're being a bit out of order here, when your questioning is based on nothing more than your own supposition.

And given his work so far on stabilising our finances, I'm willing to trust him. He's always come across well and said to judge him on his results and in fairness since he took over, off the pitch, we're in a stronger position.

So it's not a case of taking what he says to be gospel (And let's be fair, you're exaggerating for effect here). More a case that, based on what he's achieved so far, I feel I can trust what he says. And at least one other club wanted his services last summer, so he's fairly well respected.

If you think he's wrong on our budget, that's fine and you're welcome to explain why he's wrong. But unless you're bringing anything more than your own suppositions, it's only ever your opinion.

It's not just him though is it? Our dear manager said similar things, more quality in the squad than last season was what he said.

Based on that, is it really so much to expect us to be doing much better than scrabbling around in the bottom third, and to be out of the cup? TW found winning formula last season and told us we'd improved on that. Of course he's not going to say we've gone backwards, but Quakerz came up with a decent analysis in another thread that we should be in and around the top 10 at the very least.

Ultimately, we are vastly under-performing on the pitch and responsibility lies with the manager.
I agree to an extent. I think DJ has stabilised more of the off-field business and made things more professional looking that can't be overlooked along with others who work on this side of things in a more voluntary capacity. These are invaluable assets to have in attracting further outside interest.

However, I do think that he has some responsibility for who is appointed and at the moment TW is a potentially disastrous mistake. The foundations were laid on a plate and basically TW has fluffed the lot. As stated above, the reality is we are no further forward than last season and ultimately comments made by TW and DJ in the summer about competitive budgets and better player recruitment are coming back to bite - they raised the expectations. Unfortunately, I feel a sense of deja vu coming up around this October! :thumbdown:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:46 am

How was Thommo picked as MOTM, he was one of many that had a sub standard game. Thought it should have gone to Hughes, who again was terrific in the heart of our defence. Styche had a real mare of a game and missed a few very good chances. Styche wears his heart on his sleeve and I was stood near to people who were giving him grief during the second half, it's no wonder that he reacted the way he did. Things won't get any easier this coming Saturday at home to Stockport. At least we can concentrate on the league for now!!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:How was Thommo picked as MOTM, he was one of many that had a sub standard game. Thought it should have gone to Hughes, who again was terrific in the heart of our defence. Styche had a real mare of a game and missed a few very good chances. Styche wears his heart on his sleeve and I was stood near to people who were giving him grief during the second half, it's no wonder that he reacted the way he did. Things won't get any easier this coming Saturday at home to Stockport. At least we can concentrate on the league for now!!
I must have gone to a different game.. I never saw Styche miss any good chances.. His shooting was way off what we expect from him but, good chances ?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 am

My opinion wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:How was Thommo picked as MOTM, he was one of many that had a sub standard game. Thought it should have gone to Hughes, who again was terrific in the heart of our defence. Styche had a real mare of a game and missed a few very good chances. Styche wears his heart on his sleeve and I was stood near to people who were giving him grief during the second half, it's no wonder that he reacted the way he did. Things won't get any easier this coming Saturday at home to Stockport. At least we can concentrate on the league for now!!
I must have gone to a different game.. I never saw Styche miss any good chances.. His shooting was way off what we expect from him but, good chances ?
He had some opportunities, but his finishing was none existent.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 am

Next month marks the first anniversary of TW taking the reins here. His Darlington record since that 3-1 defeat at Blyth on October 28, 2017, reads:

Played 37 Won 11 Drawn 11 Lost 15. That's a win ratio of 29.7%.

We have won one of our last 9 games at home.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 am

LoidLucan wrote:Next month marks the first anniversary of TW taking the reins here. His Darlington record since that 3-1 defeat at Blyth on October 28, 2017, reads:

Played 37 Won 11 Drawn 11 Lost 15. That's a win ratio of 29.7%.

We have won one of our last 10 games at home.
That includes 2 cup games which don't count for form analysis purposes - so really it's 11-11-13.

And if you conveniently ignore the 1-1-7 start where we were all over the place and in turmoil, then his record once he's got a grip, in the league, is 10-10-6.

That's the best I can do to bull him up though, and yes, I'm aware it's weak, and yes I've picked more cherries than exist in England.

For me, as a TW supporter, yesterday was a turning point because we really could have done with that. I could have even forgiven a midtable position this year, had we gone on a lucrative cup run, because managing is also about the finances as well as league position.

Well Tommy, just like your non cup arsed predecessor, you have blown the cup, and blown our chance of earning some additional coin for once.

Now you have to get us into the top 7 (or thereabouts, I'm a forgiving sort of chap) PDQ.

I'm looking at some of the players in our squad - we all know Wheatley and Thompson are excellent, Elliott clearly is a player with potential, Styche is proven at this level and above, Ainge couldn't stop scoring after converting to a forward, Hughes has been great at the back, Syers is another one with proven quality at a higher level. So I'm asking this question...

Why are we so shite Tommy, why?

Do you know what you're doing? Do you?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 am

Why do other teams look fitter and quicker than us something must be wrong in training as they seem to play with lead boots on as for the tactics say no more

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 am

Yesterday was disappointing, I haven’t seen us win at home since March. The first-half yesterday was so similar to the performances against Curzon Ashton and Altrincham.

I didn’t really agree with the line-up, it basically read like a 4-1-3-2 with Elliot being responsible for the midfield. It wasn’t a 4-2-3-1, it wasn’t a flat 4-4-2, it was some form of unbalanced, ultra-attacking formation against a good side in this league.

In the second-half after we revered to a 4-4-2 and brought on Syers, BPA barely had a chance. We created 5 x the amount of chances as a result, and should have really scored. It’s the obsession with playing Styche & Ainge that’s really having a negative impact on the team IMO. They don’t seem to have that understanding, and a prime example would be that both just stand on the half-way line off the ball, so when one of our defenders clears their lines, nobody is showing deep to take the pressure off, which is why in the first-half it was attack after attack.

I understand both will be big-earners but play one (Styche) and stop with the long-ball diagonals because it didn’t work yesterday and hasn’t worked all season.

Maddison; Trotman, Hughes, Galbraith, O’Hanlon; Elliot, Wheatley; Thompson, Syers, Nicholson; Styche - would be my pick for the next game. The GK and back-line pick themselves so no headaches there, have Elliot & Wheatley (Glover) in centre midfield with Thompson, Syers and Nicholson behind Styche. It worked last season, and it’s worked this season.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:54 am

Let's be realistic here yes we lost but was that not through our own mistake a bad cross field pass that was easily taken by their player from which they scored, I think Tommy needs to drop ainge further back into centre mid, a if he wants to play both ainge and styche as both upfront just don't work, Telford game should have proved that.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:13 am

Not sure Ainge has the mobility or pace to play midfield. Certainly has the ability but we need someone who can keep going for 90mns. May be better if slotted in as CB to free up Galbraith who could add bite to midfield. If Styche is to be CF, he needs to stop wandering out to the wings so that Thommo / Trotman / O'Hanlon & anyone getting wide has got a target to put their crosses to.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:17 am

TW’s insistence on playing Styche & Ainge at the same time is having such a detrimental effect on results.

Ainge did nothing yesterday, yet was still kept on the pitch for the full 90, and a bigger contributer was brought off for Saunders to play out wide, when he is much more effective through the centre. That just summed it up.

TW has to fully take responsibility for yesterday. He needlessly changed a tried and tested formation to once again shoe-horn Styche and Ainge in to the side. It’s not working.

The better option yesterday would have been a 4-2-3-1. Ainge & Hughes at centre half, Elliott & Galbraith in the middle, with Thompson & Henshall out wide & Nicholson playing off Styche with Syers to come on in the last 45. Instead we got tactical naivety by playing only 1 central midfielder.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am

How many times has Ainge actually played up front this season though? Four, maybe five? He missed 2 matches through injury, he played 2 or 3 in defence - he hasn't had a huge amount of time in the position that we signed him to play.